• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell U2713H

Hi everyone,

I just received the U2713H (Rev 01) yesterday and noticed that when powering down my computer some colored lines appear for a split second (a quick flash) on the display. It happens just as the PC power 'clicks' off and control is lost to the display, so you have to look carefully.

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this or can verify this?

I may be worried about nothing, but I've never seen this on my U2711 or any other monitor I've had. I am using Displayport to a GTX 580.

Thanks! :)


I can confirm this, i exchanged monitirs twice, so I am on my third panel - all of them do this. Two A00 and one A01, all manufactured in October 2012. I bet its a batch issue of manufacture date rather than revision.
 
I can confirm this, i exchanged monitirs twice, so I am on my third panel - all of them do this. Two A00 and one A01, all manufactured in October 2012. I bet its a batch issue of manufacture date rather than revision.

BETA,

Thanks for the reply. :) OK, at least it's good to know it's not just my monitor.

If others see this issue (colored lines being displayed suddenly on shutdown) please report in with Rev./Date if you have the opportunity.

I wonder if a firmware or driver update could fix it? Maybe I'm being a little OCD on something this frivolous, but with the crapshoot monitors are nowadays I didn't want to take any risks.
 
I have not noticed that on mine, it's an A01 with a November build date, I'm using the mDP input with a SLI'd GTX 670s.
 
I have not noticed that on mine, it's an A01 with a November build date, I'm using the mDP input with a SLI'd GTX 670s.

Thanks ND40oz... I switched to the mDP/DP cable but I still see it. It happens in less than a millisecond, haha..so you can't blink until the monitor is completely blank (without backlight). Very easy to miss, but my previous U2711 went to sleep gracefully without a hint of any of those lines.

I have Oct/Rev01. As BETA mentioned, it's possible it could be related to the Oct batch. The more people post with their Date/Rev then I guess we can get a better idea.

I've also noticed that it does not happen every time which is probably not a good thing. :(
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just received the U2713H (Rev 01) yesterday and noticed that when powering down my computer some colored lines appear for a split second (a quick flash) on the display. It happens just as the PC power 'clicks' off and control is lost to the display, so you have to look carefully.

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this or can verify this?

I may be worried about nothing, but I've never seen this on my U2711 or any other monitor I've had. I am using Displayport to a GTX 580.

Thanks! :)

I haven't noticed it too (rev A00 2012 oct). I have a HD7970 (Catalyst 13.2 beta 3 driver).
I'm using the included miniDP to DP cable.

Maybe it depends on video card/driver?
 
Has anyone gotten the card reader in the U2713H to work? I've tried connecting the USB3.0 B-port on the monitor to one of the USB3.0 A-ports on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and Device Manager shows generic USB hubs, but it doesn't see the card reader. Instead there's an "Unknown Device". I've tried plugging it into all four of my USB3.0 ports and have tried updating my USB3.0 firmware and drivers.

When I plug a different USB3.0 device into my 3.0 ports, the different device works fine. When I plug the U2713H into my USB2.0 ports, everything is detected (USB hub(s) and card reader).

Anyone else have trouble with the card reader?
 
Has anyone gotten the card reader in the U2713H to work? I've tried connecting the USB3.0 B-port on the monitor to one of the USB3.0 A-ports on my Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and Device Manager shows generic USB hubs, but it doesn't see the card reader. Instead there's an "Unknown Device". I've tried plugging it into all four of my USB3.0 ports and have tried updating my USB3.0 firmware and drivers.

It works fine for me. I just connected the usb uplink cable to my monitor and to my motherboard usb3.0 port (Asrock P67 Fatal1ty Professional, Etron EJ168 USB3.0 chipset v1.0.0.112 driver) Win7 x64 immediately recognized the new device and under "Devices and Printers" a "USB3.0 Card Reader" appeared. Tried it with different memory cards, works flawlessly. (tried both USB3.0 ports too with a USB3.0 pendrive, worked as it should).
 
I haven't noticed it too (rev A00 2012 oct). I have a HD7970 (Catalyst 13.2 beta 3 driver).
I'm using the included miniDP to DP cable.

Maybe it depends on video card/driver?

Ok, thanks Enclave...

Yes, it is quite possibly related to the gfx card. I have an MSI GTX 580 Lightning XE with the latest drivers. Unfortunately, I don't have another video card with me to test. Just as a reminder, it happens so fast that if you blink you'll miss it...You need to wait until screen is blank AND backlight goes off. I am assuming you tried more than once as well.

I have an unopened Samsung S27A850D waiting (because of NCX's great review...as well as positive reviews from tft, prad, cnet, etc) just in case I decide to return the Dell. I've actually had some bad luck with Dell's quality control in the last few weeks. I've been through two U2713HM (scratched screen, uneven bezel, dead pixels, scuffed stand) and now this U2713H. My U2711 was built like a tank with no flaws (which in general requires some luck with monitors these days), but Dell needs to get the kinks out of these early U2713 I guess. I've also noticed Dell has switched to cardboard packaging for inside the box (as opposed to the typical styrofoam) due to "environmental" reasons...or dare I say cost-cutting reasons...:p
 
Last edited:
I have not noticed that on mine, it's an A01 with a November build date, I'm using the mDP input with a SLI'd GTX 670s.

ND40oz,

Just curious... which exact brand GTX 670s are you using? I am thinking about picking a 4GB 670 up anyways, so I might as well go with the brand that is working fine with the U2713H. Of course, the 7 series cards are coming out soon, so I need to think about that as well.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
2 days ago I get the Dell U2713H, all perfect until I connect two monitors and reboot. Restarting will see the Asus logo, no motherboard beeps and goes to a black screen, then I have to restart with the button on the tower, when you reboot with the button will load Windows directly, without the Asus logo or the BIOS beep when I go into windows everything perfect. I connected by DisplayPort and DVI second monitor for change the U2713H to DUAL DVI, and returned to work perfect with the logo and the beeping, those without a second monitor if I re-plug the second monitor by DVI and again the problem . anyone know why?

thanks
 
ND40oz,

Just curious... which exact brand GTX 670s are you using? I am thinking about picking a 4GB 670 up anyways, so I might as well go with the brand that is working fine with the U2713H. Of course, the 7 series cards are coming out soon, so I need to think about that as well.

Thanks

I'm using Galaxy's, they're only the 2GB cards but they run AC3 maxed out without issue: http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForce-Express-Graphics-67NPH6DV5ZJX/dp/B007Z33SYA

Haven't noticed any difference when running the monitor in DP 1.1 or 1.2 mode either, you have to power it off and back on when switching between the two though so that the card will pick up the monitor again.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To make it work I have to disconnect all connected monitors and only one before turning on the computer. I'm desperate, and the second monitor turns off when you want. I made ​​the GTX 670 with the latest drivers. Help please.
 
You try daisy chaining them? Display port from the GTX 670 to the 1st monitor and then the 1st monitors out to the second? I think you'll have to put both monitors in Display Port 1.2 mode, it's under Menu - Display Settings on the OSD.
 
1. Will 1080p24 work using hdmi? I have a signal that's 24 hz.

2. Any issues if connect 3 monitors (not daisy chained) to same computer - when using their display manager software - or when using the calibration software with the i1Display Pro? I saw that one msg by the user who had a problem when he plugged in a second monitor but was unclear if anyone else had been affected.

3. On some of my KVM'd computers, I use a USB video card for one of the 3 displays http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-U2-UV19-TR Any issues with that (other than it would be a lower resolution)?

4. Is the U2713H's BIOS flash updatable by the user?

BTW - I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to read text on the new monitor. in Win7, is there a simple way to increase the size of text, other than the smaller, medium, larger settings? So that I could get 110% for instance?

I use a KVM for Win7, OS X and XP, so ... also concerned about the same issue with OS X and XP.

Thanks!
 
Yes, but not judderfree (internal 60 Hz conversion).

That's a good point. Curious why not?

I believe my Sharp LCD used for BluRay viewing can handle this, but ... who knows, maybe it converts it also?

BTW - do you know if one of the displayPort inputs handle VGA with the proper cable?
 
Got mine, it is A01. AH-IPS glow seems more pronounced and it has a slight green/yellow hue. The overshoot (ghosting: bright and dark halos forming around moving objects) is not as bad as I thought it would be. The semi-glossy coating is really nice and the build quality is amazing, though I wish the height adjustable stand was a little higher and that the inner bezel was not reflective.
 
Last edited:
Got mine, it is A01. AH-IPS glow seems more pronounced and it has a slight green/yellow hue. The overshoot (ghosting: bright and dark halos forming around moving objects) is not as bad as I thought it would be. The semi-glossy coating is really nice and the build quality is amazing, though I wish the height adjustable stand was a little higher that the inner bezel was not reflective.

NCX,
Do you have an Oct build? Just curious to see if your display exhibits the quick flash (really quick) of colored lines (feedback) when your PC clicks off... as I mentioned previously.

I actually tried a different video card and I still see it upon powering down.
Thanks
 
I updated to the latest nVidia beta drivers and I now see the flash of colored lines upon shutdown on mine. Really strange, I don't think it's an issue though, but I guess if it is down the road I have 5 years of complete care on mine.
 
I updated to the latest nVidia beta drivers and I now see the flash of colored lines upon shutdown on mine. Really strange, I don't think it's an issue though, but I guess if it is down the road I have 5 years of complete care on mine.

Interesting... This may be an Nvidia issue if the old drivers didn't exhibit the problem. I've always been on the latest drivers btw. Yes, probably not a big issue, and I'm really liking this display especially with the less aggressive anti glare...but nonetheless it would be nice if Dell or Nvidia can fix
 
NCX,
Do you have an Oct build? Just curious to see if your display exhibits the quick flash (really quick) of colored lines (feedback) when your PC clicks off... as I mentioned previously.

I actually tried a different video card and I still see it upon powering down.
Thanks

Why would anybody even worry about that?
 
Why would anybody even worry about that?

I concur. . It's nothing really major and I'll just enjoy the monitor without being excessively paranoid about niggling details. It's just that I've been through 3 Dells already (2 U2713hm and a U2713h). Scratched screen, poorly fitted bezels, dead pixels, etc. Their quality control is subpar especially compared to companies like Samsung at least from what I've seen. It is no surprise that their warranty/exchange policy is second-to-none especially with the ease they quickly send out refurbished products....they know their QA is not cutting it. So, I'm just looking for faults in these Dell displays (which were not present in any monitor I've had before). Every monitor Ive had has shutdown gracefully except this one, so it got me a little worried. That being said, Ultrasharps do produce great images for a reasonable price and that's what I should be concerned about;)
 
Why would anybody even worry about that?

Because that seems to be odd behavior for such a panel like this? This could be indication of worse things to come? Especially since this thread has confirmations of such behavior, including myself. Hopefully Dell can resolve this in future revisions.
 
Mine doesn't have the flashing issue. I have a gtx 680 with the 310.90 drivers.

Just a few impressions so far:

-Hardware calibration does not provide good results aside from fixing the gamma and changing the brightness. It ignores the color temperature even when 6500k is selected and does not change the RGB offset+gain or fix the over and under coverage. Maybe the i1 display pro can't provide accurate results with the new GBR back-light?
-Too much green!
-Adjusting color settings sets the display back to custom mode
-Adobe and sRGB presets are fairly accurate...can't change the RGB values so these modes also suffer from a strong green tint.
-Gamma: 2.5 average in PC mode, ranges from 2.2-2.6 in most presets.
-MAC gamma=1.8 average=washed out colors. MAC Gamma provides slightly better results in the game mode if I recall correctly
-Input lag is too high, yes I know this is not a gaming display but there are Eizo models with the same features and low lag
-Game mode Input lag is noticeably lower but this mode also has a strong green tint...can't change the RGB values without reverting back to the custom mode.
-Overshoot is acceptable, however it adds a weird green+blue tint. The Samsung S27A850D's overshoot is similar when using the faster mode but it doesn't have weird color issues
-What's with all of the awful preset modes?
-AH-IPS glow is definitely worse than the glow on my S27A850D (PLS) and 2720MDP (S-IPS), it glows to much at my viewing distance.

I still need to calibrate it normally with the custom color mode which seems like the best mode to use since the color controls are available.
 
Last edited:
Because that seems to be odd behavior for such a panel like this? This could be indication of worse things to come? Especially since this thread has confirmations of such behavior, including myself. Hopefully Dell can resolve this in future revisions.

All it's an indication of is some glitch in how it shuts down. Why would that correlate with any other issue? It could just as easily be a driver issue.
 
All it's an indication of is some glitch in how it shuts down. Why would that correlate with any other issue? It could just as easily be a driver issue.

It could very well be a driver issue. It could also be a firmware issue, perhaps something wrong with the panel. Gathering as much info as you can doesn't hurt anything, dismissing can. We are trying to narrow down where this issue might come from. I can't come up with anything else to test for. With that said though, this isn't a priority concern of mine, but another persons. I just confirmed that the issue is present in these monitors.
 
Last edited:
Mine doesn't have the flashing issue. I have a gtx 680 with the 310.90 drivers.

Just a few impressions so far:

-Too much green!
-Adobe and sRGB presets are fairly accurate...can't change the RGB values so these modes also suffer from a strong green tint.
-Overshoot is acceptable, however it adds a weird green+blue tint. The Samsung S27A850D's overshoot is similar when using the faster mode but it doesn't have weird color issues
-AH-IPS glow is definitely worse than the glow on my S27A850D (PLS) and 2720MDP (S-IPS), it glows to much at my viewing distance.

Yes, there definitely is a strong presence of green...I had to turn that down. I also agree with the excessive IPS glow. At first I thought I got one with a little extra backlight bleed, but viewed it at different angles and distances and realized it's definitely all IPS glow. It's actually the most I've seen on any monitor I've owned.

NCX, I also have an S27A850D, but I haven't unboxed it yet. I read your review on that monitor and would be interested in what your final say would be between the U2713H and the S27A850D if you get the chance.... essentially which one you like better as an all arounder.

Thanks
 
FYI when checking white point and colors use RG-Phosphor as the backlight type. If you open the file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\X-Rite\Devices\i1d3\Calibrations" called RG_Phosphor_Family_25Jul12.edr you see the following data....


EDR DATA1

YÏ
P EDREditor V1.0 (hkasi) y) (CS-1000) Addition of Dell Ultrasharp U2413 to the RG-Phosphor Family EDR (created originally on 12 Aug 2011 and modified with additional displays on 13 Dec 2011)


Stolen from Threedee over at TFTCentral
 
I didn't have the flashing with the 310.90 drivers, started when I went to the 313.96s.

I had flashing even with 310.90 drivers, the flashing is never consistent, I am on the 313.95 beta driver right now. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't.
 

Neither have fantastic out-of the box colors, if you don't need a wide gamut display return both and get the Viewsonic VP2770 (see this thread), it uses a PLS panel like the 850D, so, unless something goes terribly wrong, it should have fantastic preset colors and it has lower input lag too. There are reviews of 850D's made in 2012 with equally as good colors, but I wouldn't take the chance since the Viewsonic sells for around the same price as the 850D and Samsung Warranty support is pretty lack-luster.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I'm not sure which department it was, but either tech support or customer service ended up sending me a new U2713H. This new one I received yesterday is a revision A01. The first one with the card reader problem was an A00.

This A01 unit, the card reader is detected, but as soon as a memory card is inserted Windows 8 says it has run into a problem and restarts. This is happening on three other PCs (one HP ENVY laptop w/ USB3.0 ports, one ACER desktop with USB3.0 ports and one self-built desktop with an ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard) I connected the U2713H to as well.

Also, when I plug USB3.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, nothing happens; the USB3.0 devices are not detected. When I plug USB2.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, they work just fine. This is also the case on the three other PCs I tested the monitor on. All of the PCs had all available Windows updates and device drivers installed.
 
-Hardware calibration does not provide good results aside from fixing the gamma and changing the brightness. It ignores the color temperature.
The software changes the color temp according to the settings. The utilized spectral characterization (RG_Phosphor_Family_25Jul12.edr; not a simple 3x3 correction) file contains the information neccessary for a quite accurate measurement.

Target: D65
i1 Pro remeasurement:
Achieved: 6217K (CCT daylight)
dE: 2,62

That's absolute OK (one should also consider the fact that the i1 Pro itself is not an ideal reference and general limitations*).

even when 6500k is selected and does not change the RGB offset+gain
DELL implements a real hardware calibration (including grey balance and gradation optimization). Because the internal LUT is directly accessed there is no need for the software to switch in the custom mode and modify the RGB gains via DDC or alter any other OSD settings. However: DELL should lock most OSD settings after hardware calibration.

or fix the over and under coverage
When calibrating with the native preset no display internal color space transformations are carried out. Unfortunately all other (of the already limited) settings are not accessible despite the brightness. You will end up with a Gamma 2.2-gradation and the native display white far away from daylight or blackbody curve. This should – and from my point of view must – be modified of course. Until then one can only use the custom preset in the software and enter chromaticity coordinates near the native color gamut to be able to accomplish a hardware calibration with almost native color gamut and desired whitepoint and Gamma gradation.

-----------
* In a multi screen setup using different screens a calibration to the same whitepoint will very probably not lead to a visual match of neutral tones.
 
Last edited:
This A01 unit, the card reader is detected, but as soon as a memory card is inserted Windows 8 says it has run into a problem and restarts. This is happening on three other PCs (one HP ENVY laptop w/ USB3.0 ports, one ACER desktop with USB3.0 ports and one self-built desktop with an ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard) I connected the U2713H to as well.

Also, when I plug USB3.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, nothing happens; the USB3.0 devices are not detected. When I plug USB2.0 devices into any of the USB ports on the U2713H, they work just fine. This is also the case on the three other PCs I tested the monitor on. All of the PCs had all available Windows updates and device drivers installed.

I have problems with USB3 too. It causes even boot time freezes if it is plugged to USB3 port. However Windows 8 does not crash any more after I updated Asmedia USB3 drivers. I updated them via device manager and let Windows search them online.

There are also colored lines on the left side of the screen when shutting down. The display is rev A00 and the graphics card Radeon HD7750.
 
There are also colored lines on the left side of the screen when shutting down. The display is rev A00 and the graphics card Radeon HD7750.

From all the people starting to report this I would now guess it's a feature implemented by Dell. :p
Its been reported on AMD and Nvidia cards with various drivers...
 
Today is my last day to return it and I'm still torn, this is a good display but the lack of uniformity compensation in SRGB mode and the high amount of glow are giving me the urge to pack this thing up and drop it by the UPS store.

Though in its defense, the grey scale and white point uniformity (in native gamut mode with unif comp on) are the best of any 27" WQHD screen I've seen till date including the S27B970D, which also had grey uniformity issues despite a compensator.

What say guys? Return? Keep? Toss a coin? I was able to snag this for $749 + tax with a 5 year warranty.

Update: decided to return it, I could have put up with the glow and not having smooth scrolling due to text ghosting but not having working uniformity compensation in sRGB mode was a big disappointment. This is a nice display and is already going for $7xx from online retailers, if Dell can fix these issues, it would be perfect but I did not want to be out $810 with tax incl. for a screen I am not 100% satisfied with.

On a side note, I'm becoming skeptical of 1440p on 27" screens without a A-TW polarizer or some other way to manage the glow (PLS screens are acceptable in this regard but their uniformity leaves much to be desired), because to get glow down to an acceptable level you need to position it further away and the further you position them, the smaller the text becomes so in order to keep the screen sufficiently far to avoid glow issues, you'll have to make the text nearly unreadable for anyone but superhuman eyesight. Hoping someone comes up with a A-TW equipped display using these GB-r panels soon, but this may just be wishful thinking.
 
Last edited:
This should – and from my point of view must – be modified of course.

Agreed

Until then one can only use the custom preset in the software and enter chromaticity coordinates near the native color gamut to be able to accomplish a hardware calibration with almost native color gamut and desired whitepoint and Gamma gradation..

Thanks for the information. .

I used the hardware calibration to calibrated it in the Custom and AdobeRGB and sRGB mode, the color temperature remained around 7100k vs. the default of 7500k in both modes. I used basiccolor 5 to calibrate it normally and was able to fix the strong green tint and red under coverage and color temperature, but the contrast ratio fell to 530:1 resulting in greenish glowing blacks in the right corner. The next step is to try and calibrate it properly with the proper co-ordinates with the custom Hardware Calibration setting, I'm definitely out of my depth! The viewing angles are definitely worse than my 2720MDP S-IPS & S27A850D PLS, not a fan of the off axis green hue.

The text overshoot is pretty obvious in MS Word.
 
Last edited:
Update: decided to return it, I could have put up with the glow and not having smooth scrolling due to text ghosting but not having working uniformity compensation in sRGB mode was a big disappointment. This is a nice display and is already going for $7xx from online retailers, if Dell can fix these issues, it would be perfect but I did not want to be out $810 with tax incl. for a screen I am not 100% satisfied with.

Can I ask what you're planning to get instead? I was almost set on a U2713H given the hardware calibration and uniformity compensation but it seems neither works very well. I had an NEC PA241W, which was great except for the horrible AG coating and the size. Unfortunately I think the NEC PA271W has the same AG coating (hasn't got the updated panel like these Dells) and I don't think the Eizo 27" screens are any better.

I know LG is bringing out an equivalent of the U2713H - maybe it will be better? Not sure if Samsung has anything new in the works either. Or maybe I should see if the issues with the U2713H are resolved with the U2413 or the U3014?
 
Back
Top