Dell U2713H

One thing I have found is if you are going to only make use of the sRGB mode, you're probably better off with the HM.

I was questioning why my ACD looked more vibrant compared to the H when emulating sRGB. Turns out the ACD and the HM use special phosphors which extend the gamut slightly out of sRGB, giving more vibrant colours without overly over saturating everything. The H on the other hand stays well and truly in the sRGB band, giving the washed out appearance I was getting (next to an ACD which is of course glossy). It had confounded me because I talked to a photographer who used the HM and he mentioned the HM looked the same as a glossy display he had used for years beforehand, so I was confused about my differing experience until now.

I did try Adobe RGB but to me it saturates reds too much, wide gamut, even more!

So if you're looking for sRGB only, I'd say get the HM, as it'll be slightly better looking than the H emulating sRGB.
Did you reverse what you meant at the top (seems to conflict with your point at the bottom)?

Wouldn't the H give more vibrant colors (as it is high-gamut) even in sRGB, while the HM would be closer to sRGB as it's not high-gamut?

Thus if desiring to calibrate sRGB and NOT see artificially saturated colors, the HM might be a better choice?

Did you reverse what you meant at the top (seems to conflict with your point at the bottom)?

Wouldn't the H give more vibrant colors (as it is high-gamut) even in sRGB, while the HM would be closer to sRGB as it's not high-gamut?

Thus if desiring to calibrate sRGB and NOT see artificially saturated colors, the HM might be a better choice?

No, I meant what I said.

The H sRGB mode emulates sRGB as close as it possibly can.

The HM uses phosphors to achieve slightly ABOVE sRGB, while still only being sRGB. The result is the HM looking more vibrant compared to the H when the latter is emulating sRGB, but without blowing out your retinas.

No, I meant what I said.

The HM uses phosphors to achieve slightly ABOVE sRGB, while still only being sRGB. The result is the HM looking more vibrant compared to the H when the latter is emulating sRGB, but without blowing out your retinas.
Ahh - thank you for clarifying.

Due to connectivity issues, I returned one out of the three U2713H's - and was considering buying a U2713HM as in theory, it deals with my connectivity issues (probably doesn't handle 1080p24, but they promise it will).

I'd gotten the impression that the U2713H's would give MORE vibrant colors with sRGB, so ... that's very good to know - as I was considering making the U2713HM's the reference for sRGB if they worked out.

But, you are saying that for accuracy, hopefully a "poor man's color grading monitor", the U2713H should be pretty damn close for sRGB? (I have no way to really tell, only have an i1 Display Pro, not the top of the line pucks that some have).

At least with the suggested edr fixes in place for X-Rite's Dell branded hardware calibration software http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1357925437/80#98 ?

LC155 said:

Mine had very accurate sRGB emulation (101% None for Print Test and 97.6% absolute coverage, calculated with Gamut Vision) but the colors were still terrible after hardware calibration due to a strong green tint and, in some cases a complete lack of red-ish colors. I've used many TN panels with better preset colors vs. the hardware calibrated results the Dell offered.

Until the hardware calibration is properly fixed (by users or Dell), software calibration is the way to go.

Last edited:
I just unpacked and setup my 2713h. Something odd though, the menu and any messages the monitor displays is rotated 90 degrees to the left. Even the Dell logo splash screen was when I turned it on. Nothing I can find in the setting will change it even rotating it to portrait and then back changes anything. Am I missing something? I included photos.
20130302_012036_resized-Copy.jpg

20130302_012128_resized-Copy.jpg

Check the auto-rotate setting under the other settings in the OSD, also make sure you have the latest monitor software/drivers installed. Weird that the display isn't rotated but the OSD is though.

I've tried auto rotate both on and off but it doesn't make a difference. This is a replacement for a 2713h with connectivity issues. That one never did this. Dell support is stumped (not hard to do). I don't use any Dell drivers, just the current Nvidia drivers for my GTX 690. I even tried a different computer and the same thing happens. I have had many Dell monitors in the last 10 years and none have done this. It even happens with no signal cable plugged in, only the power cord. My wife thinks it's because my case is the FT02. Funny girl.

I received my U2713h today. Initial experience: out of the box, it is too bright. I lower the brightness level all the way down to 0!

Color space for now it is set to sRGB. Does lowering the brightness affect the color calibration accuracy?

I set the resolution to maximum and I still somehow see pixelation on texts. I thought with this resolution, I wouldn't have such issue. Not too bad though.

One problem: there is a strong buzz sound in the headphones connected to the system through the monitor. Has anybody else had this problem?

Monitor is connected to the computer through mini display port to display port.

Thanks.

Post edit: I already contacted Dell and the monitor is to be replaced because of the noise issue. Costumer service agents were courteous and attentive to the problems. However be prepared to have your call transferred a couple of times between different agents before you reach the right person who can address your concerns.

Last edited:
On the DELL drivers and download page for the 2713H, there's a new X-Rite monitor application (for hardware formatting).

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-u2713h

The new version is 1.0.1.0 (the old version is 1.0.0.0.

DELL has of course neglected to label them on the links, but the 2nd XRITE Monitor Application is the new one.

They also have an additional link for the 'External Initial Release' (maybe USB drivers?)

Both links are identical in size.

Anyone care to go first??

cheers for the heads up, i've installed and gonna give it a go in the morning.

What’s New?
Version 1.0.1:
• Added support for Windows 8 32 or 64 bit.

Last edited:
I am using Dell's U2713H Display, recently purchased within the last month, with a 15" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, Mid 2012. I also have Apple's magic mouse. I've been experiencing a blue flicker on web pages as I use the magic mouse to scroll. What happens is a light blue tint covers the page from time to time. Not every time but often enough to become annoying. Infrequently, the blue tint becomes sticks requiring a robot to eliminate.

Anyone else experiencing this problem with the U2713H. I'm not certain the problem rests with the display. I've been trying to eliminate potential causes. So far, unsuccessful. I like the monitor except this particular problem, provided the monitor is the problem.

you can fix the Blue Tint Flickering by turning off smart video enchance, btw, do you see overshoot with green colors instead of white?

Hi

After having a faulty usb connector in my old 2711, dell have offered me a replacement for the 2713H, but after reading a little I am not sure if I should replace it.

Is it really so much noticeable the ghosting on 13H over the 2711? or the backlight, or any other problem for the people who have tried both it will be helpful. I also calibrate my own displays with an eyeone so the hardware calibration doesn't offer anything to me, and I also read some "problems" with the contrast / brightness and the incompatibility with the hardware calibrators?

kersh, I have used both monitors. The 2713H is the better in my opinion. The screen does have a brighter glow effect when mostly dark/black. There is an overshoot ghosting effect. Otherwise the anti glare coating is amazing compared to the 2711 and the colors and color controls are better IMO. I would never choose the 2711 over 2713H. Neither are perfect and neither are great for fast FPS gaming. 120hz TN screens are better for fastest gaming. 2713H is easier on eyes for me than 2711 and I've spend hundreds of hours in front of each.

Well I got a box shows as of today A04 2713H. Shows A04 on back date July 2013. You know its times like this I LOVE Dell. This is what they gave me for a 2713hm.

Wanted to add..it does have a tad more glow over the 2713hm but not bad at all yet wow for ME its day and night. This one is SOOOO much better the colors you can see the difference. Blacks are gray but very nice I am so happy.

I just got one an there is severe ghosting of all moving objects. The worst is text in the browser such as Google search results. The entire screen turns green/blue as the text scrolls!

Compared to my old U2711, the anti-glare coating on the U2713H is so much better. It's almost smooth but without any reflections. There are no visible "particles" that glisten like the U2711. The colours are also much better and sitting in front of it is much easier on the eyes.

Yes; There will only be one flagship model per screen size for several years.

Is the 2713H still relevant?

Unless you need intend to calibrate it and need a wide gamut monitor and/or 100% sRGB color space coverage for work in color managed programs it sucks. Aside from a few other Dell's it is hard to find a monitor with such obvious overshoot ghosting and high input lag (the game modes color suck and the color controls are locked but it does have lower lag) which even makes normal use a pain since the overshoot shows up when scrolling text slowly and moving windows.

If you need an all around wide gamut monitor for work, watching movies and gaming get the Viewsonic VP2772 which is free from obvious overshoot ghosting.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1795151&highlight=viewsonic+vp2772

If you don't need a wide gamut monitor get the Eizo EV2736W is has almost no glow:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html#post1016078

Last edited:
Unless you need intend to calibrate it and need a wide gamut monitor and/or 100% sRGB color space coverage for work in color managed programs it sucks. Aside from a few other Dell's it is hard to find a monitor with such obvious overshoot ghosting and high input lag (the game modes color suck and the color controls are locked but it does have lower lag) which even makes normal use a pain since the overshoot shows up when scrolling text slowly and moving windows.

If you need an all around wide gamut monitor for work, watching movies and gaming get the Viewsonic VP2772 which is free from obvious overshoot ghosting.

To be honest I don't really notice it anymore. Even though I use a 120Hz 3D Vision monitor and a U2711 as well for hours everyday.

If you don't need a wide gamut monitor get the Eizo EV2736W is has almost no glow:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html#post1016078

Regarding colours i thought it had better colour reproduction than the HM version in SRGB mode? I've read about the ghosting but i need to experience it for myself which is going to be hard. There's no store here which have it for display. I am not going to use the display professionally but i want a good SRGB coverage for browsing. And i am going to calibrate it with a hardware calibrator like the X-Rite i1Display Pro even if i don't need to. I've read there's different types of calibrators. Is there any site i could read about the differences?

Anyway the Viewsonic is very expensive in my country. I've checked the prices and it goes for about around $1100 dollars. The Eizo goes for about $850. You say it's well worth it?

Thanks for the input!

The ghosting is bad; really bad. It's by far the worst I've ever seen. It's almost like a manufacturing defect! I didn't even know it was possible to product such a horrible LCD.

Regarding colours i thought it had better colour reproduction than the HM version in SRGB mode? I've read about the ghosting but i need to experience it for myself which is going to be hard. There's no store here which have it for display. I am not going to use the display professionally but i want a good SRGB coverage for browsing. And i am going to calibrate it with a hardware calibrator like the X-Rite i1Display Pro even if i don't need to. I've read there's different types of calibrators. Is there any site i could read about the differences?

Anyway the Viewsonic is very expensive in my country. I've checked the prices and it goes for about around $1100 dollars. The Eizo goes for about $850. You say it's well worth it?

Thanks for the input!

The sRGB mode has locked color settings and the unit I tested had a nasty, un-fixable green tint in the sRGB mode which has been reported by others as well. If you enable color management (research this) in Firefox or Safari if you have a Mac, content which has sRGB tags (not everything is tagged) will look normal when using the U2713H's custom color mode which uses the native, wide gamut but has unlocked color settings.

For web browsing the U2713H is a poor choice since the Eizo EV2736W is a standard gamut monitor=no worrying about using color management or a green tint, almost no glow (LED back-lit wide gamut panels glow more vs. standard gamut models anyway) and no nasty overshoot ghosting. Eizo Reviews.

Most people who purchase the U2713H are used to wide gamut colors and don't care about color accuracy, input lag and ghosting or buy it for serious color accuracy related work and nothing else.

Last edited:
after i hardware calibrated my monitor for argb and srgb, i haven't had any issues with overshoot or green tints.

comes at a price (i1display pro), but bang for buck i'm happy with what i get in regards to both worlds but i don't see why anyone would purchase this if they don't specifically require the wide gamut.

This is on Shell-Shocker tonight, in case anyone was on the fence about it.

Anyone else having an issue with the card reader in these monitors triggering the safely remove hardware icon? I cant get rid of the icon (which shows up but with nothing listed in it) without disabling the card readers completely via device manager.

Anyone know of a work around where I can keep them enabled but without the darn safely remove hardware icon? :(

It's normal for all drives with ejectable media where the drive remains visible after removal.

Back