Dell U2412M

Dell sp2309w on the right and Dell u2412m a02 on the left. Colors are a bit off, lighting in the room isnt great.

I know you can't always tell from a picture, but the colors look much better and more neutral on your 2412 in that picture.

Xbox 360 can output 1680x1050 and adds black bars to properly display 16:9 images on a 16:10 screen, but PS3 can't, as it only supports "TV" resolutions, from what I know.

Thanks. Still on the fence. It would be pretty awesome if it worked with ps3 also but considering getting it anyway as a xmas present for myself since I can't seem to locate another FW900 or SGI and my last SGI died.

Which rep do you need to talk to to get the $293 price could someone please PM me the information? Or should I try my luck on live chat?

I have 2 U2412M's at work and 2 U2410's at home. I prefer the U2410 for its additional inputs, but otherwise I'd have 2412's for their greatly reduced energy consumption and heat output.

Received the two replacements from Dell today. The defective monitors were both A02, the new ones are an A00 and an A01. No dead pixels or other defects. Compared them against the A02s and back-light consistence and AG seem the same. Really pleased with these monitors. Glad I held out for great spec'd and good priced 1920x1200 IPS rather than giving in and going with a crippled 16:9 monitor.

Could anyone get me the rep's, who was mentioned in this thread, contact info? I searched through the thread and couldn't find any. I'm looking at ordering 3 or these in the next few coming days.

Hello, I thought I would ask this question here since this Dell thread seems to be a little more active, and it is also related to this particular Dell monitor.

Does the Dell 2208WFP have the same antiglare coating as this (2412) or is one more aggressive than the other. The reason I ask is I use 2x 2208 at school everyday and really don't mind the antiglare coating. Thanks.

It came today! This thing is beautiful. The nice old delivery guy was gently holding it in one arm. Not a dent in the cardboard. Out of the box it looks amazing. I still have to put it through its paces, but the screen looks so uniform so far. I must say the brightness stock was definitely way too high. I turned it on and thought I was staring into the sun. LOL

Been using my U2412M (rev A02) for a few days now, thought I would add my thoughts.

First a big thank you to 10e for all his input to this thread. Most excellent.

Out of the box the colors were pretty good but used 10e's settings of R96,G93,B87, contrast I set to 72 and brightness I lowered to 40.

No BLB that I could see, no stuck/dead/bright pixels either.

As to IPS glow, this is my first IPS panel and I really had to look for it. Meaning if you watch a dark screen in a dark room at an angle, well, you'll see it. But kinda reminds you of the "doc, it hurts when I hit my head against the wall" so doc says stop doing it. In other words, 'normal' games, surfing, movies in a normal room from a normal viewing position it's just not a factor. If you must watch things like that maybe you'll need to pony up for a non IPS panel.

Text is sharp and clear. AG is no problem for me but then again I've never used a glossy screen so maybe I'm used to AG?

My other 24" 1920x1200 monitor is the LG L246WP with a P-MVA panel (AUOM24OUW01). In comparison, I will say the Dell does have more color shift when you move your point of view (left or right, up or down). Nothing approaching a TN panel but definitely more than the MVA panel but not too intrusive/disturbing.

I went to www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and ran thru those tests. Even colors, no blotching, no problems except the gamma test. I could not get anything close to their 2.2. Best I could do was around 1.6 to maybe 1.8. You'll have to check out the test, I can't explain it.

Great stand by the way, good movement up/down & swivel.

All in all a very good monitor for the price. I would take a 1920x1200 P-MVA panel over this one at close to the price, but good luck finding one of those. This is a good deal at 300.

Hi everyone, just upgraded to this monitor from the Dell 2007wfp and all I can say is Wow! Very happy with my purchase. It's Rev A02. Considered the U2410 also, but from what I've read, it's not worth the extra money unless your doing CAD, Graphic Design or Professional Photography and need the wider colour gamet.

Hey 10e,

Maybe I missed it, but is it possible to get a meter to calibrate this screen for around the $150 mark? I know somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that you would need a spectrophotometer. I also recall someone saying that the device and software you use with it make a big difference as well. So can both of these be done for around $150? Or at least the meter?

*EDIT* Haha I put in photospectrometer. Sounds like something that takes pictures of ghosts :p

Last edited:
Hey 10e,

Maybe I missed it, but is it possible to get a meter to calibrate this screen for around the $150 mark? I know somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that you would need a spectrophotometer. I also recall someone saying that the device and software you use with it make a big difference as well. So can both of these be done for around $150? Or at least the meter?

*EDIT* Haha I put in photospectrometer. Sounds like something that takes pictures of ghosts :p

Spyder 3 Express or Pro might be good for this and should fall into that price category. The original units weren't great but any unit manufactured after February 2009 is supposed to be pretty good.

The only difference between Pro and Express is software capability. Both will calibrate, but the Pro version will give some more functionality.

The Eye One Display 2 is not the best right now due to unit-to-unit variability..

Thank you LittleMike for the reps info. Ordered one. Hopefully should get it sometime next week.

@10e: I got some photos of my display but the picture is getting worse than what i see. How much should i set the ISO and what about the settings?

Last edited:
@10e: I got some photos of my display but the picture is getting worse than what i see. How much should i set the ISO and what about the settings?

I don't usually change ISO settings much, because my cameras are CCD and have poor noise reduction at anything above ISO 200, so I just use a shutter speed of .5 second and this gives me a somewhat accurate representation of the screen. Oh yeah, and NO flash. Usually the F-Stop is manually set to the smallest setting, somewhere between 2.7 and 3.2 for me.

Too much ISO and/or longer shutter speeds will start to overexpose and highlight characteristics that don't show up with the naked eye.

Of course these are settings that work for my camera and yours might be different, but you can start with these and work the numbers a bit with shorter shutter times (like 1/3 second) or slightly raised ISO to 100, etc...

I think that's an issue with the factory calibration on these screens. The blue channel seems a bit too strong on mine, which is why my blue setting on RGB Custom Color is at 89 versus 96 for Red and 93 for Green.

But if you don't like it and can't fix the problem, send 'er back!

Man you just saved me an RMA. Both mine are A02 revision, but the one had a blue tint to it - I probably would not have noticed it as much if I didn't have a matching panel right next to it. It was really starting to annoy me to the point where I was about to call Dell and have them send me a new one through advanced RMA - I did not want to do this as my first one came with a bad panel (red line smack dab in the middle) and I needed to RMA it. Dell as usual is amazing if you know how to talk to the tech support department. I just went to custom color mode and took the blue from 100 to 96 - now both panels match dead on. (all other settings are the same on both). I'm also using Dell's custom color profile that came on the driver disk. Again thanks!

10e - Sorry, I was away for the holiday so I didn't see your reply. So don't go with the Elite? I see that's about $180, which is still sort of within the same range to me. Also, does the Express do luminance? I basically want to calibrate this as much as possible without spending a thousand dollars on a meter. I'm also concerned because it is an LED lit display that the colorimeter I get supports that and will give me an accurate reading.

Kirika - you are welcome. I guess you got the price you wanted :D Glad to have helped.

I'm using the iDisplay1 Pro colorimeter ($249 on amazon) and it handles wide gamut and LED technology displays. I'm using the 2001fp (CFL) as my secondary display and was able to calibrate both and they match up quite nicely in brightness and color accuracy to the U2412M.

I did not want to cheap out on the calibration and I wanted to use one that handled the newer technology since I have a wide gamut Sony AW series RGB backlight laptop too.

I just bought a Dell U2412M. Overall it's nice, with no noticeable backlight bleed or dead pixels.

However I have noticed that there is a yellow tint on parts of the screen. In the center of the screen the colors look ok, but from the middle of the screen and downwards (and to the left, especially in the lower left corner) the colors gradually get more yellowish.

Is this a known problem with the Dell U2412M, and if so is it common? I'm considering returning it, but then I'll have to enter the panel lottery again and perhaps I get a new monitor with backlight bleed or other problems?

This might be a stupid answer. I too noticed on my Dell that near the bezel the white color turns to slightly yellowish, The culprit might be the bezel pressure on the panel but what if the display is just dirty? I imagine that in the manufacturing plant, before each display is put in it's cardboard box, somebody has to wipe the screen clean with a towel and some sort of cleaning solution. If the job is done sloppily eventual dirt ad the residues of the cleaning agent will just be smeared along the bezel. So how to clean the display properly?

Last edited:
I just bought a Dell U2412M. Overall it's nice, with no noticeable backlight bleed or dead pixels.

However I have noticed that there is a yellow tint on parts of the screen. In the center of the screen the colors look ok, but from the middle of the screen and downwards (and to the left, especially in the lower left corner) the colors gradually get more yellowish.

Is this a known problem with the Dell U2412M, and if so is it common? I'm considering returning it, but then I'll have to enter the panel lottery again and perhaps I get a new monitor with backlight bleed or other problems?

I have 3 of these monitors right now, all new and with various levels of uniformity issues. I'm using the xrite iDisplay1 Pro for measurements.

The worst one is going back because it has a larger yellow tinge in the middle of the screen and has the widest variance of white point from center to edge at nearly 800K. This particular monitor also measures lowest on contrast at 830:1 instead of more than 1000:1 like the other ones. Clearly a dud compared to the other two.

I've decided to keep the other two because even though they are not perfect, they are pretty good overall and the yellow is not extreme (< 400K white point variance) and only noticeable on pure white backgrounds and on gray scale images if you look for it. I don't see it on normal day to day viewing of any colored content. From my research, panel uniformity in IPS displays is currently the norm. My older 2001FP IPS has a much larger variance and is visible on the left edge. Some people (like me) are more sensitive to color shifts than others.

The measured black levels on the better U2412M panels are very good, the corner IPS glow is minimal and not really noticeable at normal viewing distance. All 3 have no detectable buzzing at any brightness level, and no dead or stuck pixels.

It certainly helped to have a calibration device and several of these to test. If the white point variance is low enough, you probably won't notice it all that much in day to day use. My main concern was for image and video editing and wanted to make sure I did not recolor images/video based on a bad panel. When I did some testing in photoshop and premiere, I had a real hard time noticing a difference with the better 2 panels.

Find some good wallpaper, preferably in black and white and view the images. I also use the free irfanview and you can just press control G to make the current viewed image black and white. Very good way to see if the variance is visible or annoying. Hit the H key to swap the image horizonally.

Overall, if you get a copy without bothersome uniformity issues, I recommend the U2412M monitor.

Interesting. Since the color temperature can vary so much depending on where on the screen you measure, shouldn't monitor reviews contain some kind of "color temperature uniformity" measurements as well?

Currently for example the TFT Central reviews have a uniformity test (see e.g. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2412m.htm#uniformity), but my impression is that they only measure the luminance (i.e. light intensity), not the color temperature. So it could be that some parts of the screen has e.g. higher green intensity, but lower blue intensity (compared to ideal). Then the total light intensity could still indicate a perfect uniform panel (if the lower blue intensity even out the higher green intensity), yet the color temperature uniformity could be crap, right?

I got mine yesterday. I did the tests on www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ I too had issues with the gamma test couldn't get 2.2 and the white level test with the squares I couldn't see any squares for 253 and 254. Will have to find my meter and recalibrate it this weekend.

Battlefield 3 looks wonderful and I didn't really notice much input lag or trailing even when flying.

Man you just saved me an RMA. Both mine are A02 revision, but the one had a blue tint to it - I probably would not have noticed it as much if I didn't have a matching panel right next to it. It was really starting to annoy me to the point where I was about to call Dell and have them send me a new one through advanced RMA - I did not want to do this as my first one came with a bad panel (red line smack dab in the middle) and I needed to RMA it. Dell as usual is amazing if you know how to talk to the tech support department. I just went to custom color mode and took the blue from 100 to 96 - now both panels match dead on. (all other settings are the same on both). I'm also using Dell's custom color profile that came on the driver disk. Again thanks!

Awesome. Enjoy them, they are great screens.

This might be a stupid answer. I too noticed on my Dell that near the bezel the white color turns to slightly yellowish, The culprit might be the bezel pressure on the panel but what if the display is just dirty? I imagine that in the manufacturing plant, before each display is put in it's cardboard box, somebody has to wipe the screen clean with a towel and some sort of cleaning solution. If the job is done sloppily eventual dirt ad the residues of the cleaning agent will just be smeared along the bezel. So how to clean the display properly?

I think it is bezel pressure, not dirt. In many cases, where it yellows also will show BLB.

Not always, but often I've seen this problem.

10e - Sorry, I was away for the holiday so I didn't see your reply. So don't go with the Elite? I see that's about $180, which is still sort of within the same range to me. Also, does the Express do luminance? I basically want to calibrate this as much as possible without spending a thousand dollars on a meter. I'm also concerned because it is an LED lit display that the colorimeter I get supports that and will give me an accurate reading.

Kirika - you are welcome. I guess you got the price you wanted :D Glad to have helped.

Apparently the Spyder3 models are fine with W-LED displays like the Dell U2412M according to integrated color which makes some great color calibration suites.

The Express is limited in gamma and color temperature whereas the Pro version has more settings, and the Elite has the most. If you want to track/chart/set luminance, then the Elite would probably be best.

Can anyone compare this monitor to the Dreamcolor IPS display in the HP Elitebook 8740w? I'm mainly looking for an AG comparison. The Dreamcolor has very subtle grain that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've read this whole thread, and otherwise it sounds like the U2412 would be a great choice for 2x displays in portrait mode. I'm a network engineer so I don't really care about color gamut, just good viewability and screen real estate for reading docs and writing configs.

I have an A00 revision of the 2412M - and I've had periodic "black flashes" (screen cut-outs that last ~3 seconds max). I've got it connected via a DVI-HDMI cable to my laptop at the moment - I've already tried the "DDC Disable" advice, but it will still do it periodically. I hope connecting it through DisplayPort will fix the issue, but seeing as there's 88 pages here, I'm sure someone else has had this problem.

Should I cut my losses and request a replacement?

Last edited:
I just got my U2412M. I was wondering if it is ok to keep the stock settings or should I make some adjustments right off the bat? I am noob when it comes to monitors.... the screen looks good to me. Maybe its a tad bright, but thats maybe because I was used to horrible TN monitor on which white looked like bright yellow.

EDIT: I searched thru the thread and found 10e's settings. I like it so far, maybe I'll crank up brightness a little bit.

Last edited:
I found something interesting about this monitor secret menu...My monitor have different settings than others u2412m at this forum.Take a look picture.

Btw, i set brightness 38, contrast 74, at custom custom color of r 100, g 100, b 100.Picture is ok, a small ips glow, but can't get rid of reversing ghosting...Overdrive can be off, but not permanently.Revision is A02.

Someone have idea how it can be disabled..permanently!:rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I found something interesting about this monitor secret menu...My monitor have different settings than others u2412m at this forum.Take a look picture.

Btw, i set brightness 38, contrast 74, at custom custom color of r 100, g 100, b 100.Picture is ok, a small ips glow, but can't get rid of reversing ghosting...Overdrive can be off, but not permanently.Revision is A02.

Someone have idea how it can be disabled..permanently!:rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The reverse ghosting is really a non-issue. If you can see it constantly then your monitor must be bad because I can't even tell it's there. I game a lot on mine and it's never been a distraction or caused me to die a lot.

One question guys:
Is Dell going to release some monitor to replace the U2410?
Something like a U2412? Couldn't find any info on that.

Thanks!

I dont have the 2412 but I had picked up a few Dell Refurb 2410 on Ebay,

Man those things are good.

I have a pair each of the 2407-HC, 2408 and 2410 in a six monitor matrix. The out of the box (factory default) performance of 2410 is simply amazing.

There is the HD wildlife video which comes with W7 in the Users->Public->Videos->Sample Videos area. I play that with half the video split on the 2410 and the other on the 2408/2407 and the depth of color makes the 2410 look so much sharper.

I never realized how much difference the amount of color depth could make in the viewing experience.

Also felt that even a refurb top of the line monitor will have enough quality control for it to be worth it. The seller had a ton to sell so very likely they were a large customer order cancelled which were then resold as refubs; their build date is in the third quarter of 2011.

Hey guys, what is the best settings for watching movies on the U2412M?

I'm in a room where its mostly dark. Brightness has been set to 90 with the contrast at 75.

Preset Mode is Game.

Dynamic Contrast is set to OFF.

I just want it to be as optimum as possible when watching movies.

Hey guys, what is the best settings for watching movies on the U2412M?

I'm in a room where its mostly dark. Brightness has been set to 90 with the contrast at 75.

Preset Mode is Game.

Dynamic Contrast is set to OFF.

I just want it to be as optimum as possible when watching movies.

Start by turning the brightness down to like 40 - 50. Leave the contrast at default.Leave Dynamic contrast off.

Try color preset 5700K or lower the blue channel a bit in "custom color" mode in the OSD. I chose 96 red, 93 green, and 87 blue and I was fairly happy with that.

You lose a small amount of contrast ratio doing that because the white brightness is lowered a tiny bit, but it's good for me.

I decided to try out two of these based on the largely positive feedback they've gotten here and there. I really wanted a 24" IPS. Having used primarily CRT and TN, I initially was very impressed!
Backlight bleeding is minimal, and I don't mind IPS glow at all, and the AG coating is fine in my opinion. Get some tearing when scrolling large images (none in games or movies) in firefox and Canon DPP, and the animations in Windows 7 aren't as smooth as they were on the CRT, but that might be related to something else. Read that someone else here had similar issues and that it might be the gfx (I've got 8800gt SLI).

Anyway, I did some tests at http://lagom.nl/lcd-test, and was very happy until I got to the Viewing Angle page. For some reason the first image, Viewing angle and gamma, is pretty bad, and looks a lot like the TN examples below... I've looked around for some other IPSs and they seem to show no red "lagom"s at that page if you look at it straight ahead?
And unfortunatley, both of mine have the yellow tint; one have it on the right side and the other more along the bottom. White/grey gets a yellow tint and certain purples (like the second image at the lagom.nl Viewing Angle page) gets more and more red towards the left/bottom.
Both rev. A02.

Mine are going back, but I was curious how others are doing in those two tests?
(first and second image, http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php)

Last edited:
I have some extra money and was thinking about picking one of these up, but I'm starting to see a few negative reviews pop up. Is this the best 24" option out there right now for general use and gaming? I don't want to get a monitor that I end up having to RMA until I get lucky enough to get one that's good out of the box, it's too much hassle. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I did some tests at http://lagom.nl/lcd-test, and was very happy until I got to the Viewing Angle page. For some reason the first image, Viewing angle and gamma, is pretty bad, and looks a lot like the TN examples below... I've looked around for some other IPSs and they seem to show no red "lagom"s at that page if you look at it straight ahead? ...

If the monitor is properly calibrated, you will not see Lagom text in the spot you calibrate. Howevver, if the monitor is not uniform, you'll see that gamma variant text revealed in other areas.

Your two monitors sound like mine, a little yellow tint towards the bottom of one, the other one on the right. Both are not horribly noticeable unless you view a white page or really look for it on black and white image. I did return one of the three I had because it failed to have proper contrast < 850:1 and it had a very large 800K white point variance with a large yellow tinted spot in the middle (relative to the corners). It was not possible to calibrate the middle section to white without looking at really cool corners.

It's a shame that we don't have the option to receive a properly tested monitor with less than 50K white point variance. I would gladly pay extra to guarantee proper testing for a tighter tolerance as an option. Until these companies hold LG to higher standards, we're going to see this variability in IPS displays from them.

Since the color temperature can vary so much depending on where on the screen you measure, shouldn't monitor reviews contain some kind of "color temperature uniformity" measurements as well?
The CCT in kelvin doesn't help much because it doesn't describe one color but a range of colors (an association of the measured sample with the temperature of a black body radiator which is next to the sample) which can be very different. But you can of course describe the surface homogeneity in a valid way. We examine for example luminance and chroma differences separately for 15 measuring points and 4 grey tones (25/50/75/100%).

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-eizo-fs2332-part5.html#Contrast
(middle of page under the contrast graph; left: luminance difference in %; right:chroma difference expressed as deltaC*)

Best regards

Denis

detection threshold ~0.5 for achromatic colors as reference

A quick question on this monitor. If you bought through Dell, did the expected shipping date give you something a couple weeks out?

When I add a monitor to my cart, it says the expected ship date is 1/18. If this is just a canned date and they actually ship faster, I'll take the hit and pay 329. If other people don't see this (I'm guessing a low stock issue), I'll wait and see if it hits 299 again before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!

If the monitor is properly calibrated, you will not see Lagom text in the spot you calibrate. Howevver, if the monitor is not uniform, you'll see that gamma variant text revealed in other areas.

Your two monitors sound like mine, a little yellow tint towards the bottom of one, the other one on the right. Both are not horribly noticeable unless you view a white page or really look for it on black and white image. I did return one of the three I had because it failed to have proper contrast < 850:1 and it had a very large 800K white point variance with a large yellow tinted spot in the middle (relative to the corners). It was not possible to calibrate the middle section to white without looking at really cool corners.

It's a shame that we don't have the option to receive a properly tested monitor with less than 50K white point variance. I would gladly pay extra to guarantee proper testing for a tighter tolerance as an option. Until these companies hold LG to higher standards, we're going to see this variability in IPS displays from them.

Yes, if the monitor is gamma 2.2 in mid tones.. The U2412M is more like gamma 2.0 until contrast is lowered to 65 or so, or calibrated with software and a colorimeter or a "gamma fixing calibration" like Monitor calibration wizard. What calibrated or accurate TNs show is cyan text on the top, grey text in the middle, and red text at the bottom.

My Dell 3008WFP had 100K difference from left to right, but was about 10 cdm/2 brighter on whites on the right third versus the left third of the panel, and my NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK is close to that in color temperature, but better on brightness uniformity.

Unfortunately what you are asking for is not available even on $1000.00+ monitors, including those with digital uniformity compensation from NEC and Eizo. Even they show more variance. This also isn't just LG. The new PLS panels from Samsung are as bad (in 27" format) or far worse (in 24" format).

Back