Dell U2412M

It is all the same AG, it is just that the U2711 has higher pixel density than the U2412M so it appears more noticeable on it.

Regarding AG.... I've used non-glare screens on every LCD I've had since they became available, and I've never felt like I was losing any visual clarity or pop. I can't stand reflections and find the matte screens the best overall viewing experience. I guess you get used to what you like.

Regarding AG.... I've used non-glare screens on every LCD I've had since they became available, and I've never felt like I was losing any visual clarity or pop. I can't stand reflections and find the matte screens the best overall viewing experience. I guess you get used to what you like.

It's much better on the U2412M than the U2711... the smaller dot pitch on the 27" makes it much more of an issue. I couldn't stand the U2711 and ended up selling it, but I've just ordered my third U2412M... love it. :D

I just picked up another U2412M for $291 + tax with free shipping by calling Dell Small Business. PM me and I can put you in touch with my rep.

Having had both I agree with Zinn and nalc. The U2711's anti-glare as well as that on the latest 30" panels is stronger than the U2412M regardless of pixel pitch.

From what I saw of an U2711, I could tell the sparkle right away, even without comparison. My U2311h/U2312hm, which has the same coatings as the U2412m, are not an issue.

I am no longer convinced that the AG coating itself causes the sparkle though. It does contribute, but after seeing sparkle on a glossy (!) monitor I have in the house, I believe there is something more fundamental at work than just the coating, although the AG coating definitely contributes.

I believe it has something to do with refraction. When light travels from one medium to another, it bends (refracts). In principle this is how anti-glare coating works, in its simplest form, it is just a film with an index of refraction such that there is destructive interference of incoming light, thereby reducing reflections. The sparkly effect associated with this is stronger on lighter colors since they have higher intensity, and therefore the effect of refraction is also stronger. Judging by this, I am guessing that while this effect is much weaker on glossy screens, it still exists since light incident to the LCD will refract as it passes through the glossy coating.

I believe it has something to do with refraction. When light travels from one medium to another, it bends (refracts). In principle this is how anti-glare coating works, in its simplest form, it is just a film with an index of refraction such that there is destructive interference of incoming light, thereby reducing reflections. The sparkly effect associated with this is stronger on lighter colors since they have higher intensity, and therefore the effect of refraction is also stronger. Judging by this, I am guessing that while this effect is much weaker on glossy screens, it still exists since light incident to the LCD will refract as it passes through the glossy coating.

Not really.

AG coatings work by having multiple layers of different refractive index materials (usually magnesium flouride and titanium dioxide). They are layered in specific thicknesses, usually a quarter of a wavelength of the light you're working with (100nm-175nm thicknesses in the visible range). Using enough layers film, you are able to achieve either very low or very high reflectivity for a given wavelength. That's the technique used in high powered laser mirrors. Standard vapor deposited aluminum onto glass mirrors are only 75%-90% reflective. That's not reflective enough for a laser cavity, so they make laser mirrors from thin films. They know exactly what wavelength they will be resonating at, and layer films to get 99.9% or more reflectivity at that wavelength. At other wavelengths, they're not that reflective, so they look different from a normal mirror to the naked eye. They're also able to get very good transmission at certain wavelengths.

However, the process becomes significantly more complicated when dealing with a range of wavelengths (such as a computer monitor, which works over a wide color spectrum). You're ideally going for a flat 0% reflection across the spectrum, but lowering the reflection at one color might raise it somewhere else. As you add more layers, you can flatten it more, but there will still be peaks and valleys across it, and you drive up cost.

So how is gaming on this monitor? Is there any noticeable ghosting or input lag? I have been looking at many 120hz monitor's but I like the better colors from the ips panel and i want 1920x1200. All i use my computer for is gaming really.

So how is gaming on this monitor? Is there any noticeable ghosting or input lag? I have been looking at many 120hz monitor's but I like the better colors from the ips panel and i want 1920x1200. All i use my computer for is gaming really.
There's some reverse ghosting, but it's hard to detect unless you really look for it. Input lag is around 9ms, which is very good for gaming. I've had zero performance issues with it.

I just received the screen today, if it's to be used for gaming and gaming only, what settings should I change/adjust?

Thanks

Anyone have pics of a Eyefinity potrait setup with these monitors?? Wanted to see thoughts/feedback.

crappy cellphone pic, better one later, plastic bezels removed...

plastic bezels intact

Awesome, thanks. I think I'd probably leave the bezels on myself but I'd remove those pesky Dell badges if possible so it looks cleaner. What video card are you using with this setup? I have a 7970 so I'd be going DVI to miniDP on 2 of the displays, curious on what the gameplay experience is like as far as fast motion goes with 3x of the Dells.

Awesome, thanks. I think I'd probably leave the bezels on myself but I'd remove those pesky Dell badges if possible so it looks cleaner. What video card are you using with this setup? I have a 7970 so I'd be going DVI to miniDP on 2 of the displays, curious on what the gameplay experience is like as far as fast motion goes with 3x of the Dells.

I was using tri-fire 6990+6970, and now CFX 7970, honestly, if you can step down the resolution to 3150x1680, a single card is enough for most games, I even played BF3 @ 3600x1920 with settings on medium-ultra(shadows on medium, most others on high, effects and mesh on ultra), multiplayer and it was playable. and the witcher 2 @ 3150x1680 is smooth as well.

Apart from that I love the monitors, they are great for the price :). not as smooth as 120hz tn panels, but if you can live without 120 I would go with the 2412.

I was using tri-fire 6990+6970, and now CFX 7970, honestly, if you can step down the resolution to 3150x1680, a single card is enough for most games, I even played BF3 @ 3600x1920 with settings on medium-ultra(shadows on medium, most others on high, effects and mesh on ultra), multiplayer and it was playable. and the witcher 2 @ 3150x1680 is smooth as well.

Apart from that I love the monitors, they are great for the price :). not as smooth as 120hz tn panels, but if you can live without 120 I would go with the 2412.

Are you using a wall mount for these or what are you using? Couldn't tell from the darkness in the picture

I just put this into my cart on dells website and got a -$90 Midnight Madness sale discount. Figured I'd jump right on it. Got it for $280 Canadian, free shipping. Pretty wicked stuff, cant wait for it to show up.

I just put this into my cart on dells website and got a -$90 Midnight Madness sale discount. Figured I'd jump right on it. Got it for $280 Canadian, free shipping. Pretty wicked stuff, cant wait for it to show up.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Impulse-shopping at its worst. Oh my wallet!

Ya that thing says it ends at 12:00am. I was checking it all day (started research yesterday) and it was at its $370 price tag, then I just happened to check it again at like 7, and it was suddenly -$90.

I said it must be some sort of sign, so I had to buy it :).

Says estimated ship date is Feb 9 :(. I hope thats just an overestimation. Would be nice to see it early next week (doubt it will make it this week, that would be 1 day ground shipping).

Last edited:
My new U2412M (A01, Made in China, December 2011) stinks. Literally.

A follow-up on this. After two weeks the chemical smell faded somewhat, but it was still there, so I called Dell and requested an exchange. The replacement arrived today (A02, Made in China, December 2011) and it smells just like the first one did. :mad: So it's not an isolated problem. I can't believe that it hasn't been more widely reported. I've never thought of myself as being particularly sensitive to chemical smells...

Anyway, I decided to keep one of the monitors. I guess I'll go back to running it on full brightness overnight to burn that smell off faster...

I received both of my monitors today and a Diablo 3 Beta key! Both are A02. No screen issues here. Not smelling anything funny either.

Two monitors is glorious! I have one monitor with my editors (two open) for working with Ruby, and a terminal on my other one I have chrome with this window open, and a RDP to my desktop (downloading D3 beta!). Might watch an episode of clone wars as I program,

I picked up one of these for my macbook pro:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399353&creativeASIN=B0038P1TP4

The usb display runs pretty good. I recommend that product.

I order two arms for my monitors from new egg, we shall see if I am keeping them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I received both of my monitors today and a Diablo 3 Beta key! Both are A02. No screen issues here. Not smelling anything funny either.

Two monitors is glorious! I have one monitor with my editors (two open) for working with Ruby, and a terminal on my other one I have chrome with this window open, and a RDP to my desktop (downloading D3 beta!). Might watch an episode of clone wars as I program,

I picked up one of these for my macbook pro:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399353&creativeASIN=B0038P1TP4

The usb display runs pretty good. I recommend that product.

I order two arms for my monitors from new egg, we shall see if I am keeping them.

How did u get a D3 beta key? (sorry off topic). Did it come with the monitors lol?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya that thing says it ends at 12:00am. I was checking it all day (started research yesterday) and it was at its $370 price tag, then I just happened to check it again at like 7, and it was suddenly -$90.

I said it must be some sort of sign, so I had to buy it :).

Says estimated ship date is Feb 9 :(. I hope thats just an overestimation. Would be nice to see it early next week (doubt it will make it this week, that would be 1 day ground shipping).
Odd :confused: Mine shipped the next day.

Well mine just shipped today too, but I mean, its ground Canada post, and I have no idea from where its come from and I have no tracking number. Would be nice to have it for weekend, but I am not getting my hopes up.

What's considered a good deal on these? I can get a new one for $290 through EPP, but it appears these go lower usually?

Got my tracking number, it seems like this shipping from the US, so unfortunately no monitor for me this weekend :(.

Kinda bummed they didn't ship from a Markham warehouse, might have had it today. It is coming purolator ground though, and it was free shipping, so I can't really ask for much.

I've had one for two days (rev A02, December, China). To chime in on some of the concerns in the thread:

Pros: no dead pix. No noticeable yellow tint. No noise. Slight back light bleed in one corner that is not noticeable at low brightness in dark room. Blacks are deep and distinguishable. Pretty amazing for the price.

Antiglare is just a little heavier than my old MVA at work (HP L1940). That being said, I'd still order a glossy 2412 if Dell made one. Whites & solid blocks of lighter colours look greasy/specked/sparkly, but tolerable (for me...).

Fails the finger test for PWM up to around 70% brightness, with my eyeballs, at least. However, I can't see any visible flickering of the screen at any brightness level.

Cons? Two days with the monitor, two days of mysterious eye ache... Still not sure if or how they are related. Have been trying brightness levels between 0-75%. Other settings like 10e's. Also the image seems shifty(?) when moving eyes around screen at lower brightness.

Question: does anyone know if PWM is actually disabled at full brightness? Apparently, some monitors continue to flicker their LEDs even at 100% brightness.

Big thanks to all who have contributed their reviews, details, measurement, pics, etc., in this thread.

Last edited:
I bought a 2412M for the office and have to say AG coating is quite a lot more noticeable than my Dell FPW2405 at home (which I though had aggressive coating compared to the CRT i had before). I am not sure if I would exchange it for 2412M even if it would be free.

I bought a 2412M for the office and have to say AG coating is quite a lot more noticeable than my Dell FPW2405 at home (which I though had aggressive coating compared to the CRT i had before). I am not sure if I would exchange it for 2412M even if it would be free.

the 2405 is a PVA panel though isn't it :p?

Finally ordered my monitor from Tori to replace my 2209WA. Hope everyone else is enjoying theirs.

Debating between three of these or three u2312HM's.

Someone convince me it's worth spending the extra $200 for three of these?

Debating between three of these or three u2312HM's.

Someone convince me it's worth spending the extra $200 for three of these?

You only live once man, might as well go all out :).

I would have went 3, but all the eyefinity videos ive seen, I am pretty sure the black bezels in between each screen would distract the hell out of me, and I would go nuts. Maybe some day..

Got mine one week ago. Got it from Dell. No dead pixels or back bleed . Monitor is great. I calibrated my monitor using Eye One Pro. I tell you it was not off by much. Profiled my printer and my pictures look like monitor. I can definitely tell the difference between my NEC 2070NX and the Dell 2412M .

Got my tracking number, it seems like this shipping from the US, so unfortunately no monitor for me this weekend :(.
How do you get your tracking number? Dell's order page is a mess :mad:

Edit: Found it. How do you delete a post?

Last edited:
Back