Dell U2412M

Not sure on the Nvidia driver, you could certainly try the latest stable and see if that helps any, but I'm on the ATi/AMD side of the fence. The latest VLC and Flash player (and therefor youtube) both support acceleration when working with a driver that supports it.

Edit: as of today, if you install silverlight5 you can also get accelerated video on sites that use silverlight (i.e. netflix).

Thanks for the info :D

Anyways, I downloaded Media Player Classic X64 and in the options selected WMR-9 (Renderless) with both the radio buttons of Direct X 9 checked.

I checked the box for Reinitialize when changing display and Alternative V-sync. VMR-9 mixer mode is checked too.

That may have cleared the tearing issue alittle.

Then i went into nvidia's control panel and found the option for Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU acceleration and changed it from Multiple Display Performance Mode (Default) to Single Display Performance Mode.

Right now I have no complaints but it could be a placebo effect. Will watch my movie further to see if i could catch another screen tearing. It was way worse earlier.

Edit: There is still tearing in VLC.

I guess the settings in MPC is helping with the tearing.

Last edited:
Looks like the price went back up to $399 on Dell's site. I'm trying to scrape up the cash to buy this thing and now it looks like I'll have to wait :(

Yeah, I saw that it went back up shortly after I saw the coupons on Slick Deals :-/ Going to have to wait on the next price drop.

Yeah, I saw that it went back up shortly after I saw the coupons on Slick Deals :-/ Going to have to wait on the next price drop.

yeah I'd wait it will drop to 299 again im sure.. make sure you look for coupons when you buy it too, I could've gotten it for 30 dollars less.

I'd look for it to go on sale on newegg too.. dell takes 5 days to process an order and then fedex takes 4 days to ship when you pay for 2 day shipping. extremely annoying.

just took delivery from my black friday order

absolutely gorgeous..sharp, crisp, love the whites...NO PROBLEM with ag coating whatsoever..and let me tell ya..if anyone would be anal about it, it'd be me

these are my first 10 minutes of impressions

Ahhhhh UPS.

They shipped one monitor straight from TN->Houston, the other from TN->Dallas->Houston. Looks like I'll only be getting one in tomorrow. After I paid extra for 3 day shipping. :mad:

Just received mine today, absolutely gorgeous. Color reproduction is simply outstanding very sharp great whites and blacks no regrets @ all. Text looks phenomenal. The only issue so far is how bad it makes my Gateway FHD2400 look without even being calibrated. Looks like I'll be forced to pick up another and sell the gateway. Damn you Dell!! It truly is a night and day difference. IMO The AG coating looks much better than the glossy look i'm used to. I have them mounted on an Ergo LX dual stacking arm. These pictures while not the greatest show the white levels clearly.

AMD 6850

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Nvidia GTX 295

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

Just got mine up and running. Looks great. Only slight concern is that the bottom edge and a tiny bit of the left and right edges seem to be "darker" then everything else. Anyone else experience something like this? Am going to see how it looks in a few days of use

Would had loved to come home to mine delivered today, but alas it requires a signature and of course I'm not home during delivery hours...

Just received mine today, absolutely gorgeous. Color reproduction is simply outstanding very sharp great whites and blacks no regrets @ all. Text looks phenomenal. The only issue so far is how bad it makes my Gateway FHD2400 look without even being calibrated. Looks like I'll be forced to pick up another and sell the gateway. Damn you Dell!! It truly is a night and day difference. IMO The AG coating looks much better than the glossy look i'm used to. I have them mounted on an Ergo LX dual stacking arm. These pictures while not the greatest show the white levels clearly.

It really does make that Gateway look terrible.

AMD 6850

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Nvidia GTX 295

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

Fooly Cooly! (Or however you would spell that out) I love that anime!

And damn, what a difference between it and the Gateway. It makes it look way too warm and not nearly as crisp. Now I just have to wait for the damn thing to drop in price again. Maybe I can call my Dell rep and bargain them down :p

Just made an account in anticipation of mine arriving tomorrow! Keep the photos coming!

Fooly Cooly! (Or however you would spell that out) I love that anime!

And damn, what a difference between it and the Gateway. It makes it look way too warm and not nearly as crisp. Now I just have to wait for the damn thing to drop in price again. Maybe I can call my Dell rep and bargain them down :p

Yeah, it's a pretty stark contrast between the two. I thought it looked pretty good before I received the DellI. That's clearly not the case. Considering I paid 530$ with tax in 2008 for the Gateway, the U2412m is really a great deal especially at the 300 price point.

Last edited:
Mine also has a possible tinting issue. On a white screen, the left side is more red and the right side is more green.

I'm starting to notice this too. There's a definite red cast on the left side, but I think the right side is slightly blue instead of green.

For reference, I've got a Rev 02 monitor and had it running for 3 or 4 days now.

I'm starting to notice this too. There's a definite red cast on the left side, but I think the right side is slightly blue instead of green.

For reference, I've got a Rev 02 monitor and had it running for 3 or 4 days now.

I have tinting, just along the very bottom. It's almost like gamma shift.

Yeah, it's a pretty stark contrast between the two. I thought it looked pretty good before I received the DellI. That's clearly not the case. Considering I paid 530$ with tax in 2008 for the Gateway, the U2412m is really a great deal especially at the 300 price point.

I definitely have to pick one of these up. Oh and thanks for the wallpaper!

Is this monitor the way to go for 24" right now? I'm on a 19" Samsung 940B right now, but I want to upgrade to a 24". My brother has the U2410 for work, but I think that's more than I need. I mostly use my computer for browsing around online and I do a bit of gaming (StarCraft II and Battlefield 3). What do you guys think?

Also, for those of you who own it, are you using any software to calibrate it, or are they pretty good out of the box? also, are you disabling overdrive? I saw that mentioned a page or two back.

Last edited:
Is this monitor the way to go for 24" right now? I'm on a 19" Samsung 940B right now, but I want to upgrade to a 24". My brother has the U2410 for work, but I think that's more than I need. I mostly use my computer for browsing around online and I do a bit of gaming (StarCraft II and Battlefield 3). What do you guys think?

Also, for those of you who own it, are you using any software to calibrate it, or are they pretty good out of the box? also, are you disabling overdrive? I saw that mentioned a page or two back.

I am going to use it out of the box although there are some calibrations out there i might try.

turning off overdrive will help with ghosting/response time

i bought it just for what youd use it for browsing/games/movies... the color plus AGcoating and viewing angles are huge for me, personally this is the perfect monitor especially with the resolution (1900x1200). I don't do any photo editing.. if you look at other monitors for 300 (when the u2412m is on sale) it rapes their specs. IPS is the way to be

straight from the tft review on Overdrive

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

"The screen was tested using the chase test in PixPerAn, a good bit of software for trying to quantify differences in real terms responsiveness between monitors. As a reminder, a series of pictures are taken on the highest shutter speed and compared. The images above are the best case examples from the U2412M with the overdrive (OD) function disabled and then enabled. When OD is turned off there is a more pronounced motion blur which is noticeable to the naked eye. It doesn't have any severe ghosting but the blur is certainly more obvious. When you enable OD the blur is reduced but there is still some motion blur detectable. While the blurring is improved quite nicely, the OD impulse does introduce a bit of an overshoot in the form of a dark trail behind the moving car. This is caused by the aggressive application of an overdrive impulse, causing the pixels to change orientation too far before reverting to the desired position. This characteristic trailing can happen on screens where overdrive impulses are applied, where it is either too aggressive (to try and boost response times even more) or poorly controlled.

In the case of the U2412M this is not too bad and should not prove a major distraction during normal use. We will look at the screens performance in more detail in a moment, but from a pixel response time point of view it is beneficial to have the OD function turned on (as it is by default)"

I don't think anyone is going to notice the slight overshoot effect by leaving overdrive on. It's really just something for someone like Oled to make a mountain out of a molehill. Claiming this monitor is not good for gaming because of this very tiny issue is misleading. It will show up in testing, but in actual use it's hard to spot.

Got mine in today, and outside of a little contrast and brightness adjustment, it was "plug and play" I played some Company of Heroes, no problems, also COD4 absolutely awesome. So glad I didn't go TN, since I'm coming from a CRT. So far it is like looking at my CRT, no ghosting no drag, just perfect! I have almost 0 bleed, just an almost invisible shade on the edge, if it is even there to begin with. I don't have any "taxing" games yet. 6970 driving this monitor wonderfully.

BTW,Best stand I've ever had too.

GO GET YA ONE!!!!

I received my U2412M on Dec 2 from amazon, rev 02, new in box. Overall pleased with the design and adjust-ability of the monitor.

However, I've discovered some screen uniformity that has been bugging me, namely when viewing web pages with white backgrounds such as reading reviews on amazon for instance, I see a yellow tint when reading from left to right towards the bottom of the screen.

I took a photo from 6 feet back of the monitor using the lagom.nl 'screen viewing angle' test page here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

The first shot is the original (resized to 800px wide), the second is the same photo but modified with the levels command in photoshop to illustrate the issue more clearly.

Original:

Levels command applied:

You can see that the bottom third middle has a yellow tint and that is where I notice it almost constantly. The rest of the screen (although certainly not perfect) is good enough. Its probably like a stuck pixel (it is hard to unsee it!). Fortunately, I've not seen any dead or stuck pixels on this one.

My last monitor purchase in 2004 was a Dell 2001fp (IPS) and is used as a second screen which works out nicely at 1600x1200. It has decent brightness uniformity and does not show any bothersome color tinting issues.

Before this U2412M was delivered I had researched, selected and received an HP ZR24W but the power supply was defective as it would switch off randomly within the first few minutes. Before I returned it yesterday, I did get a chance to view some photos at the same brightness levels as the 2412 (side by side) and found that black levels much better on the Dell vs the HP. So I'm not too keen on going back to another HP ZR24W for this reason.

Except for the yellow tint issue, this monitor has no stuck or dead pixels and the blacklight bleed in the corners (when viewing a black screen) is very minimal. I know others have reported tints and I'm undecided if I want to keep this one, try another U2412M or go on to another IPS panel or just use a decent TN (if such a thing ;) ) I really do want a good panel for editing photos and producing videos and would prefer the 1200 vs 1080 lines for the extra screen space.

I would be curious of others can go to the viewing angle torture test page (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php) and see how their backlight uniformity compares. Oddly enough, the DELL 1909W (19" 1440x900 TN panel) I used at work today has better uniformity than this one even though it has a fairly minor color shift based on viewing angle. Arggg! :(

I finished setting mine up a few hours ago. It's amazing. No blacklight bleeding as far as I can tell (I'm still new to this though). I'll report back if I notice any weird tinting/etc.

I received my U2412M on Dec 2 from amazon, rev 02, new in box. Overall pleased with the design and adjust-ability of the monitor.

However, I've discovered some screen uniformity that has been bugging me, namely when viewing web pages with white backgrounds such as reading reviews on amazon for instance, I see a yellow tint when reading from left to right towards the bottom of the screen.

I took a photo from 6 feet back of the monitor using the lagom.nl 'screen viewing angle' test page here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

The first shot is the original (resized to 800px wide), the second is the same photo but modified with the levels command in photoshop to illustrate the issue more clearly.

Original:

Levels command applied:

You can see that the bottom third middle has a yellow tint and that is where I notice it almost constantly. The rest of the screen (although certainly not perfect) is good enough. Its probably like a stuck pixel (it is hard to unsee it!). Fortunately, I've not seen any dead or stuck pixels on this one.

My last monitor purchase in 2004 was a Dell 2001fp (IPS) and is used as a second screen which works out nicely at 1600x1200. It has decent brightness uniformity and does not show any bothersome color tinting issues.

Before this U2412M was delivered I had researched, selected and received an HP ZR24W but the power supply was defective as it would switch off randomly within the first few minutes. Before I returned it yesterday, I did get a chance to view some photos at the same brightness levels as the 2412 (side by side) and found that black levels much better on the Dell vs the HP. So I'm not too keen on going back to another HP ZR24W for this reason.

Except for the yellow tint issue, this monitor has no stuck or dead pixels and the blacklight bleed in the corners (when viewing a black screen) is very minimal. I know others have reported tints and I'm undecided if I want to keep this one, try another U2412M or go on to another IPS panel or just use a decent TN (if such a thing ;) ) I really do want a good panel for editing photos and producing videos and would prefer the 1200 vs 1080 lines for the extra screen space.

I would be curious of others can go to the viewing angle torture test page (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php) and see how their backlight uniformity compares. Oddly enough, the DELL 1909W (19" 1440x900 TN panel) I used at work today has better uniformity than this one even though it has a fairly minor color shift based on viewing angle. Arggg! :(

Exchange it. It doesn't look normal... I could see the yellowing and brightness shift fairly clearly on even the non-adjusted photo.

I don't think anyone is going to notice the slight overshoot effect by leaving overdrive on. It's really just something for someone like Oled to make a mountain out of a molehill. Claiming this monitor is not good for gaming because of this very tiny issue is misleading. It will show up in testing, but in actual use it's hard to spot.

Nobody has noticed it in regular use. It may be there but so far Prad's specialized tests show this to be the fastest IPS in terms of response time in recent memory. In fact it's only a couple of ms behind the fastest TN panels with their overdrive set to highest.

Looks like the base price on this dropped to $369.

It's on sale now for 279.00 CAD, which is 20 dollar cheaper than Black Friday sale.

It's like a conspiracy, first they drop the base price, then they slap another sale on it. Jerks :D

Dell & Fedex are HORRIBLE.

not only did it take forever for them to actually process my order. Finally the delivery comes I wasn't home apparently the box is damaged and they have to return it back to Dell. Now I have to wait for another order to process to get it. insane.

Hey maybe one of you guys can explain it to me. At my job, we have the Dell EPP (Employee Purchase Program) which gives us discounts on Dell goods. So I check today and even called them and the price they quoted me was $329 - same as retail. I complained that it was $299 a week ago and the woman puts me on hold. She comes back and says she can take an additional $9 off. $320. Oh boy! So I had my purchasing manager call them (we do millions of dollars a year with Dell. I work for a huge company) and they told her they can take an additional 5% off making it $312.55.

On Dell's retail site right now, it's $329.00. There is a 15% off coupon floating around. That would make it $279.65. How is it that I can get it for cheaper "off the street" as it were than Dell would give it to me as a major corporation? Does that make any sense at all?

Back