Dell U2412M

Heya, and thanks for trying to help! :) It was thanks to your settings way back in the thread I was able to correct the blue tint, so I already owe ya!

I'm assuming you meant the EDID color temperature setting in CCC, under My Digital Flat-Panels -> Display Color? It was unchecked, and the slider was at 6500K. I tried unchecking it out of interest, and it made everything look yellow... not sure if that's common behavior.

Yep, that's the one.

You can try doing a factory reset on the screen as long as you remember your settings for brightness, contrast and custom color and see if that helps.

It's strange that VGA looks better (in terms of colors) than DVI.

Have you tried Display Port? It's too bad the screen doesn't come with the appropriate cable.

Hi,

I've a question concerning the U2412M. Some review say then the U2412M has reverse ghosting. Is it true ? I want play with eyefinity with 3 2412M, is it a good idea ?

Thanks for your replies and sorry for my bad english.

Sorry, but this is a very long thread. Can someone here tell me if the HDMI input is capable of accepting a 1080p signal from the Playstation 3 and or Xbox 360 without any overscan or underscan? Meaning, it'll be 1:1?

I've a question concerning the U2412M. Some review say then the U2412M has reverse ghosting. Is it true ? I want play with eyefinity with 3 2412M, is it a good idea?

PCmonitors.org has the most informative review regarding the response time

Most people on [H] will tell you it does not ghost at all (wrong), but this is because they don't notice.

Sorry, but this is a very long thread. Can someone here tell me if the HDMI input is capable of accepting a 1080p signal from the Playstation 3 and or Xbox 360 without any overscan or underscan? Meaning, it'll be 1:1?

No 1:1. With the xbox 360 you might be able to select a resolution other than 1080p (1360x768?) and get it to display the picture with black bars, but some one else will have to confirm this since I don't own the monitor. 99% of console games are 720p-,being unable to display 1080p won't matter. I would look at the Samsung S24850D or new HP 24", pretty sure they both have 1:1.

Last edited:

Most people on [H] will tell you it does not ghost at all (wrong), but this is because they don't notice.

No 1:1. With the xbox 360 you might be able to select a resolution other than 1080p (1360x768?) and get it to display the picture with black bars, but some one else will have to confirm this since I don't own the monitor. 99% of console games are 720p-,being unable to display 1080p won't matter. I would look at the Samsung S24850D or new HP 24", pretty sure they both have 1:1.

Thanks for the information. So if I get the consoles to output 1080p, then will it be stretched to 1200p? I'm disappointed that there isn't a 1:1 pixel mapping option.

It will be stretched @1080p. If you are mostly console gaming paying a premium for a 16:10 monitor is silly. If you want an IPS panel get the Asus PA238Q

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
10e, which page are your recommended settings on?

The previous one.

Sure but they missed the possibility of turning off overdrive in the service menu, and even being able to tune it down from there to different levels.

1680x1050 works fine with Xbox 360 over VGA and DVI.

Doesn't using the service menu void the warranty? Points should be deducted simply due to the fact that you have to use the service menu. Not really missing anything, you shouldn't have to go into the service menu to make a monitor work properly.

I'd still get the PA238Q over the Dell for console gaming for the better color presets and to save some $.

Doesn't using the service menu void the warranty? Points should be deducted simply due to the fact that you have to use the service menu. Not really missing anything, you shouldn't have to go into the service menu to make a monitor work properly.

I'd still get the PA238Q over the Dell for console gaming for the better color presets and to save some $.

Not arguing against the PA238Q because I think it's the best consumer level 23" right now, just saying that PCMonitors.org missed that tidbit whereas TFT didn't. And I also found most of what PCMonitors said about the U2412M's response time both confusing and almost apologetic.

"However; dashing around at speed in vehicles was a bit of a dizzying experience. Trailing became more exaggerated and the image appeared to break up in places due partly to the RTC impulse artifacts. It is worth noting that such high-speed transitions are not something any 60Hz LCD monitor will take in its stride regardless of panel technology." Mostly senseless drivel with the ending disclaimer saying that this is normal for a 60hz panel.... ::rolleyes:

But what do I know, I'm one of the [H] users that missed all that ghosting apparently ;)

Last edited:
Put in the order for one of these today on the deal! Looking forward to testing out your settings 10e. I'm coming from total crap TN panels so I imagine anything will be a huge improvement.

Put in the order for one of these today on the deal! Looking forward to testing out your settings 10e. I'm coming from total crap TN panels so I imagine anything will be a huge improvement.

It really depends on what you are coming from. I came from a glossy Samsung TN panel and while the colors don't pop as much, it is much more accurate. The blacks were better on the Samsung but I can distinguish colors alot better now on the Dell.

I have yet to notice any ghosting during my gaming periods but I've only played slower moving games like Fifa 12 and Fallout: NV.

My eyes seem to be adjusting to the AG as well. When I first changed monitors, the AG was pretty jarring on white backgrounds. I still notice it and the fuzz is still there but it is alot less pronounced now.

One thing that really bothered me with the Samsung was the viewing angles. Any change in seating arrangement and colors would just wash out. That is definitely the biggest improvement besides the upsize in monitor size/resolution.

All and all, I am really happy with the purchase, wish I got it with the extra 15% off but oh well. This will be my monitor for the next 3 years so hopefully, the newer display technologies like OLED or QLED (probably not) will be commercialized by then.

Well, I managed to sell the tv I've been using as a monitor (Sharp LC-40LE700UN) today, and decided to order a U2412M. I hope I'm happy with the decision :D

I've been reading this thread for a while and it has been convincing enough for me to buy this monitor. I bought it from reseller in my country, rev. A02.

There is some back light bleeding in every corner, which seems to alleviate when gentle pressure applied on the edges of monitor.

I did this very carefully with fingers and while doing that I have discovered that display in upper corners is not attached to the bezel. Not sure if this is normal?!

Here are some pics of back light bleed. I watched some movie today and it was noticeable. What do you guys think, is it too much? Not sure if the shop where I bought monitor accept warranty for this.

14102011055.jpg

14102011054.jpg

14102011052.jpg

It changes with different angles, so it looks more like IPS glow to me.

I think you are OK.

Likely.

I've been using the screen next to my NEC PA301W-BK-SV and have switched it to Color Temp > 5700K and it looks even better. Contrast seems a tiny bit reduced, but white color temperature and color calibration in general seems a bit better. I'm going to use the colorimeter tonight to see what my calibration is like in this mode, but it almost gives the white a more "CCFL" look (for lack of a better term).

It also seems to tame the slight blue tint on whites visible in 6500K color mode.

It changes with different angles, so it looks more like IPS glow to me.

I think you are OK.

There is some back light which is always there, but I think I can live with that.

But, is it normal for display not to be attached (glued) to the monitor frame in every area? Mine is not in some areas, both upper corners and upper border. I can push display back for about a milimeter when I press it.

I think I am going to give it on reclamation.

There is some back light which is always there, but I think I can live with that.

But, is it normal for display not to be attached (glued) to the monitor frame in every area? Mine is not in some areas, both upper corners and upper border. I can push display back for about a milimeter when I press it.

I think I am going to give it on reclamation.

Every IPS-based screen I've ever owned has what I term a "floating panel" and generally the top is where there is the most play in and out. I actually mentioned it back on page 11 when I first received the screen. It is mostly for heat-induced expansion, so don't worry about it.

Perfectly fine.

@10e, thank you for explanation, I've missed to read that information.

I am going to do a hardware calibration, there are people here who do that for about 10-15e. Will post pics before/after.

Likely.

I've been using the screen next to my NEC PA301W-BK-SV and have switched it to Color Temp > 5700K and it looks even better. Contrast seems a tiny bit reduced, but white color temperature and color calibration in general seems a bit better. I'm going to use the colorimeter tonight to see what my calibration is like in this mode, but it almost gives the white a more "CCFL" look (for lack of a better term).

It also seems to tame the slight blue tint on whites visible in 6500K color mode.

Keep up with your observations 10e, we all definitely appreciate your work.

I've been using the screen next to my NEC PA301W-BK-SV and have switched it to Color Temp > 5700K
Not unusual: Both screens emit a very different spectrum. Even if you are calibrating them to a colorimetric identical whitepoint you will experience visual differences (due to observer metamerism - the sharp WCG-CCFL spectrum of the NEC is especially disadvantageous regarding these effects).

Here is an example:
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/69/1896769/3561613936336365.jpg
Both screens (left: WCG-CCFL, right: CCFL) were calibrated to the same whitepoint; white balance against the left screen

Best regards

Denis

I'm getting one this week. I initially wanted an IPS LED, but there really weren't any available when I got the ZR24w. If the Dell is good it's eBay for the HP I guess.

Hi all and compliments for the great site from a longtime lurker. ;)
I had thought of buying a Dell U2312HM monitor for gaming purposes, but I'm discouraged after reading in your "official" thread about the buzz problem, and the really official "admission" of the problem.

For that reason now I'd like to buy the U2412M, but my question to it's owners is: have you noticed similar buzz problems?

TY... and sorry for any possible language error

Anyone know if there is a difference between Rev A00 and A02?

Mine says Manufactured Date August 2011, Rev A00.

That's the same revision that I received yesterday. So far I'm very impressed!

Mine was shipped Monday, expected on Friday.

Let you guys know the revision, is there one that is better than the other?

I received mine about a week ago. I noticed there's some backlight bleed at the bottom left corner of the screen. Think it would be best to replace and see if i can get something better? or do these things sometimes go away with daily use?

Hi all and compliments for the great site from a longtime lurker. ;)
I had thought of buying a Dell U2312HM monitor for gaming purposes, but I'm discouraged after reading in your "official" thread about the buzz problem, and the really official "admission" of the problem.

For that reason now I'd like to buy the U2412M, but my question to it's owners is: have you noticed similar buzz problems?

TY... and sorry for any possible language error

Actually, I didn't hear nothing until I haven't red your post. :D
Now, when I put my ear close to the back side, I can hear it, quiet buzzing sound, but just then, when in front I don't hear anything except my pc fans.

Actually, I didn't hear nothing until I haven't red your post. :D
Now, when I put my ear close to the back side, I can hear it, quiet buzzing sound, but just then, when in front I don't hear anything except my pc fans.
Well, I think that if you have to put your ear to the monitor back to hear something, then there is no problem at all...
I read ppl with the other model (u2312hm) who had to return their monitor because the buzz sound was higher than their PC fan noise!

Just got mine earlier today.

Purchased directly from Dell around ~Oct. 12-13.
Revision A00, manufactured August 2011

Haven't noticed any pixel problems yet, IPS glow at bottom right corner under current settings. Does IPS glow go away over time or is this something considered normal?

For now I'm using 10e's settings with everything else at default including sharpness (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037603902&postcount=547). Looks too bright to me so I might look for another setting. From tftcentral they have *.icc files for monitor settings. Is there any difference from using this than just manually changing the setting on the monitor?

Besides that problem, it looks fine to me so far. This was supposed to replace my 2209WA (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1640143), from what I can tell it's comparable to it. It's just slightly bigger.

Hey guys, do you know how this compares to the U2312HM?

Last edited:
Got mine. Does have some back light bleed on the left where the USB ports are. Also I notice in just a black screen during boot I think I'm seeing some darker lines show up though I'm not sure I see them when running the DPT program. Any thoughts.

Back