What is this? (Dell 2209WA)

Serialr

n00b
8PNvV.jpg

Sorry for the unclear picture, it's just about the best I can get with the camera available at the moment. The circled area of this monitor has what looks like paint dripping, it is in a slightly darker grey color than the rest of the area. This abnormality shows up in other colors as well (not just grey), but I can notice it the most when grey is displayed.

What is this supposed to be? And yes I tried wiping the monitor already :rolleyes: so it probably isn't something that's physically on top of the screen.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I didn't think it was something serious. Unfortunately the manufacturer warranty ran out (originally purchased 2009), but I still have the Squaretrade warranty I got for it. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I just write down "heat/moisture artifact/defect" as the reason?

Thanks again

It's often called a "watermark" effect. It gets really visible if you keep the monitor turned on for a few hours. I have 12 of those Dells at work and just replaced 4. And at the very least another 4 will be replaced too.

Also: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19347725.aspx

Also - shouldn't you have 3 years NBD warranty ?

I contacted them earlier, they said I only had 1 year warranty and that had expired after I gave them my order number (which was written on the shipping box). It was not purchased from dell.com if that makes any difference. Was I supposed to have a 3 year warranty anyway? :confused:

I contacted them earlier, they said I only had 1 year warranty and that had expired after I gave them my order number (which was written on the shipping box). It was not purchased from dell.com if that makes any difference. Was I supposed to have a 3 year warranty anyway? :confused:

Dunno, maybe it depends on reseller/territory or something. For some reason I assumed that particular model always had 3 year warranty (mine were from middle of 2009 as well, the watermark "effect" was spotted for the first time half a year after the purchase).

Thanks guys, I didn't think it was something serious. Unfortunately the manufacturer warranty ran out (originally purchased 2009), but I still have the Squaretrade warranty I got for it. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I just write down "heat/moisture artifact/defect" as the reason?

Thanks again

Warranty on this screen should be 3 years. Maybe the reseller has something to do with it, but that would stink.

Warranty on this screen should be 3 years. Maybe the reseller has something to do with it, but that would stink.
:confused: Well that is strange. I'll give them another call on monday and see why this particular one only has one year, maybe the representative was just screwing with me.

Dunno, maybe it depends on reseller/territory or something. For some reason I assumed that particular model always had 3 year warranty (mine were from middle of 2009 as well, the watermark "effect" was spotted for the first time half a year after the purchase).
When you sent yours for warranty, did they replace it with a new/different monitor or did they just send you a refurbished 2209WA with maybe a different revision?

When you sent yours for warranty, did they replace it with a new/different monitor or did they just send you a refurbished 2209WA with maybe a different revision?

New comparable models - to be precise I got 3x U2211H and 1x U2212HM (on the next day).

So as far as fulfilling warranty, A+

New comparable models - to be precise I got 3x U2211H and 1x U2212HM (on the next day).

So as far as fulfilling warranty, A+
Hmm, unfortunately those are 16:9, so wouldn't do for me even if I could convince Dell to replace mine. :(

Rather than make a new topic I might as well ask here (unless I don't get responses): are there any comparable monitor I could get that is at least equivalent to the 2209WA? (16:10, 22", E-IPS)

The only ones I could find are Dell's U2412M and U2410. Are there any other ones I should consider, maybe from other companies like Viewsonic? (I'm hoping it wouldn't cost more than 300-400 USD but I have a feeling that is impossible with most monitors moving onto 16:9 aspect ratio)

Back