• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cyberpunk 2077

Honest question, who is actually still playing CP2077 and why?
I actually just drive around a lot. Night City is the most immersive city I’ve ever experienced in gaming.

At 4K, on a 65 inch Oled, and with a 5090 pushing massive frames at max settings with path tracing enabled, the city is breathtaking.

I used to drive my car after work in real life to unwind, but now that just stresses me out. Driving around in Night City, and hopping out of the car every now and then to do stuff, accomplishes the same thing.

Maybe once or twice a week, I’ll do this for 30 minutes or so, and then I’ll play whatever game I’m actually playing.

I’ve had Cyberpunk installed since day one. I’m still fascinated by it, and it’s always the first game I play whenever I buy new hardware and am testing it out.
 
That seems like an odd question coming from a guy who still plays Doom occasionally. :D (Not knocking it, I dust the ol' girl off every now and then too in order to revisit the game that essentially got me into PC gaming for life. Plus it's fun to experience it again with the endless mods such as Brutal Doom and the ray tracing mod).

Now - I'm not suggesting that CP2077 shares the same status as Doom, one of THE most iconic video games of all time. But for some people, CP2077 is up there in the list of best games they've ever played (particularly after it was fixed), so it doesn't seem that odd to me that people would still be playing it. Lots of people still play GTA5, and that's a much older game than CP2077. Hell, I'm currently working through System Shock 2 remastered and the OG was released in 1999. The new one isn't radically different, either - it's just touched up and was made to run amazingly well and stably on modern systems. Great games don't necessarily become less great over time, particularly when compared with a lot of the modern slop that has been foisted upon us throughout recent years. There are still lots of great games being made of course, but I have noticed a lot of folks lately talk about going back and playing games from the X360/PS3 days (for example) because that was a time when the industry was much more open to being experimental and not so focused on monetization, risk aversion, and endless sequels.
I played through when it came out. I did not have much any tech issues. I had one mission that I could not engage. I loved the game, and from what reading up I did on conclusions, I got the "best" one. I did start another playthrough, but I just did not feel the replayability. The whole "been there done that," feeling.

Honest question from me, I really wanted to know what the draw was for most of you [H]F'ers. A lot of replies I did not expect actually.
 
I've yet to play phantom liberty, as I only own the base game. Looking forward to playing it with the DLC if they ever put it on sale.
 
I actually just drive around a lot. Night City is the most immersive city I’ve ever experienced in gaming.

At 4K, on a 65 inch Oled, and with a 5090 pushing massive frames at max settings with path tracing enabled, the city is breathtaking.

I used to drive my car after work in real life to unwind, but now that just stresses me out. Driving around in Night City, and hopping out of the car every now and then to do stuff, accomplishes the same thing.

Maybe once or twice a week, I’ll do this for 30 minutes or so, and then I’ll play whatever game I’m actually playing.

I’ve had Cyberpunk installed since day one. I’m still fascinated by it, and it’s always the first game I play whenever I buy new hardware and am testing it out.
That's awesome. I do the same thing...but with Red Dead 2, and on a horse. Couldn't find a car. :)
 
I bought The Witcher 3 in 2015. But after starting it twice and just playing for like 20 minutes before continuing other games, I really did a proper restart last autumn and have been obsessed by it since. It is really one of the absolute best games I've ever played in my 45 year gaming career, with some of the most memorable side quests and story lines.
Nexgen looks fantastic as well!
So hearing that CP2077 may even be better is great. Only thing is that I may need a break from these kind of open world RPG games after spending 200+ hours in Witcher 3 and expansions, so may postpone starting CP2077 for a while to cleanse my gaming pallet.

I also loved the witcher 3, but I didn't actually care that much about the main quest line. The side quests were far more inventive and they had more interesting plot lines. I wanted to do a play through again, but I just can't see myself doing it unless I'm magically rich and retired.

I'm probably going to do a second Cyberpunk play through because I want to see it with a better computer on my oled, and there's a whole play style I completely ignored I want to try. I don't know if i'll finish it but I'm looking foward to jumping back in soon.
 
I'm guessing the main reason people would replay CP2077 is for the graphics...say they upgrade their GPU or CPU, you will be able to play the game at a higher fidelity level with path tracing enabled...so more eye candy...it's the same way Crysis had such a long shelf life, it was built for future hardware
 
lol
launch "unoptimized piece of shit"
now "built for future hardware"

I'd say the only real difference in the two is whether brute force hardware upgrades and/or patches solve the problem. With Cyberpunk they've overhauled the game and performance has improved even on hardware that used to have issues. With Crysis, I don't recall patches ever making a damn bit of difference. 2-3 hardware upgrades did, though.
 
Honest question, who is actually still playing CP2077 and why?
Still playing some here and there. Just started my 6th playthrough. The changes in patch 2.0 made the game feel kind of fresh again as it plays completely different from pre 2.0. I just enjoy running around in the world, shooting and looting stuff. Of course the missions are a bit "old" after going through them several times, but give it enough time and it's still fun to approach them differently etc.

Probably took me like 18 months, with a few hours here and there, to complete my last playthrough. Getting a new GPU and a 4k OLED made me want to play a bit more. Will probably take me another 12-24 months on this playthrough, but the game is still fun.
 
I played through when it came out.
If you've only ever played it back when it came out, it's definitely worth replaying again with the expansion. A lot of the game's content, visuals and gameplay systems were overhauled or tweaked or fixed over the last five years, and the expansion is the cherry on top with everything it adds including different ending choices to the game.
 
I'm guessing the main reason people would replay CP2077 is for the graphics...say they upgrade their GPU or CPU, you will be able to play the game at a higher fidelity level with path tracing enabled...so more eye candy...it's the same way Crysis had such a long shelf life, it was built for future hardware
There's also going through the 2.0 version, playing Phantom Liberty, and trying out a different build. I played through it on a 3090 before they redid all the skill trees & released Phantom Liberty. I'll get around to another run through it at some point, this time on a 5090. So for me it'll be kind of "all of the above".

First I'm going to mess around with it on my ARC B580. Probably just grab a bike and ride around a bit. The latest update added XeSS 2.0 upscaling and framegen support along with FSR 4. Mostly I just want to check out XeSS 2. I'd be doing the same thing with FSR 4 if I had an AMD card around here.
 
Does the game not offer leaning or the ability to pan head view independently of body movement? That 2nd feature makes fps games so much better bc your view can be independent of the direction you are moving. Been playing STALKER GAMMA and gotten used to that a tool greatly increased situational awareness. I think all PC first person games should feature it. It doesn't requree a tool like track IR just assign left and right head panning to 2 keys on the keyboard.

This mod looks good for some of that
https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/1902
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing the main reason people would replay CP2077 is for the graphics...say they upgrade their GPU or CPU, you will be able to play the game at a higher fidelity level with path tracing enabled...so more eye candy...it's the same way Crysis had such a long shelf life, it was built for future hardware
Or maybe.....its because its a good game that people enjoy? It does have some replay value given the multitude of endings and how the end game path is radically different depending on what route you choose to take. Some missions are also very different depending on your choices.
 
I'll never replay it, because it is around 80 hours or so and the expansion is around 30 hours. My total play time is closer to around 120-130+ hours. Can play many more new games. But if I were to replay a game in the future, it would be high up on the list along with Deus Ex Mankind Divided should they ever finish that story arc.
 
I'm guessing the main reason people would replay CP2077 is for the graphics...say they upgrade their GPU or CPU, you will be able to play the game at a higher fidelity level with path tracing enabled...so more eye candy...it's the same way Crysis had such a long shelf life, it was built for future hardware
Upgrades could be needed for some, but I went through it almost 5 times on the same hardware because I love the game. Basically spent 380 hours in it on a 3080 and one of the better 1440p 240hz 32" VA panels, which is much closer to OLED in colors and black levels than to the cheaper VA panels. Of course TF mode DLSS, 32" 4k OLED and a 5070 TI, which enables PT with a bit of settings tweaking at DLSS Performance (upscaled from 1080p) at reasonable frame rates does give incentive to go through it one more time, but hardware upgrades aren't the main reason for me spending lots of hours in the game.

Crysis was bad on mid-range hardware as it only ran well on the 8800 series from Nvidia at the time. My 1 year old GPU which was in the upper mid-range (equivalent to owning a 7900XT today), had to settle on medium settings at 800x600, which looked worse than far-cry. Crysis did look far beyond everything else though when I got a 8800 GT card when that card released. Basically the issue with Crysis was that it ran like crap on anything but the top end hardware and didn't look good unless you could go mostly high settings.

Cyberpounk ran fine on low end GPUs at 1080p and could be run OK at 1440p on a 1070 if you set everything to lowest settings at release. The 1070 was 4.5 years old at CP2077's release and was a low end card in performance at that time. It also looked quite decent at the lowest settings, even if it looks much better when you turned on all the bells and whistles. You could easily get very playable frame rates with a bit of tweaking and fairly low quality loss compared to max non-RT settings at 1440p with mid-range cards at the release of CP2077, which was not the case with the release Crysis. On top of that DLSS had become quite decent by the time the game released and all the Nvidia mid-range cards supported that so people could get a bit extra frame rate at moderate cost to image quality if they wanted it. AMD's alternative didn't look quite as good, but it was usable. The stuff that made CP2077 a tough load was RT and later on PT.

A lot of people who could not run RT where crying about how little RT added, but a lot of us that could run RT at reasonable framerates with DLSS felt it added a lot to the atmosphere, especially in the city at night time with billboards, car lights etc. interacting with the environment. Playing without RT in CP2077 feels like turning off all dynamic lights in other games as the lighting in the city feels so static and non-reactive without RT. PT adds a little bit more, but most of the lighting goodness is there with the regular RT.
 
I can't bring myself to watch content from any tubers lately...
The comparison and feature videos by ancient gameplays and Daniel Owen are consistently top notch without soap boxing or gimmicks. Highly recommended if you’re just looking for actual guidance on quality, performance and settings info.
 
The comparison and feature videos by ancient gameplays and Daniel Owen are consistently top notch without soap boxing or gimmicks. Highly recommended if you’re just looking for actual guidance on quality, performance and settings info.
Thx will check him out
 
Or maybe.....its because its a good game that people enjoy? It does have some replay value given the multitude of endings and how the end game path is radically different depending on what route you choose to take. Some missions are also very different depending on your choices.
Replaying it now after when I played it 6 months after release. It is pretty damn impressive. Running well at very high settings on my RX 9070xt and AMD Ryzen 9 9950X
 
Driving around the whole cityscape is pretty stunning you must admit. Some of the quest lines are pretty great while others are horribly boring. I wonder how great this game would have been had they taken another year or two to flesh out the good quests. Also some of the weapons animations feel sloppy and a bit unrealistic, especially after playing games like Elden Ring or KCD. Still though... Johnny Silverhand! And you have to give CDPR props for sticking around, patching/reworking the game the way they did. Most games co's would be out after the first few months or their games are so terrible to even bother. I'll revisit this one again after awhile. Game on gamers.
 
Honest question, who is actually still playing CP2077 and why?

I view myself as an explorer. Fallout Series certainly brought that part of me out in a big way. I want to see every little nook and cranny that a game has and it is no different with Cyberpunk 2077.

There is no need for a quest or objective to just go around and admire all the work that CD Projekt Red has put into the game. All those hidden easter eggs just waiting to be found. Unique clothing or armor abound. I want to find them all.
 
I played through when it came out. I did not have much any tech issues. I had one mission that I could not engage. I loved the game, and from what reading up I did on conclusions, I got the "best" one. I did start another playthrough, but I just did not feel the replayability. The whole "been there done that," feeling.

Honest question from me, I really wanted to know what the draw was for most of you [H]F'ers. A lot of replies I did not expect actually.
I want to replay it just haven’t gotten around to it as I have too many games to finish. Just way too many.

Average game being 30-50 hours long doesn’t help at all.
 
Honest question, who is actually still playing CP2077 and why?
Let me ask you this. Why do people listen to their favorite songs over and over again?

I'd say the answer to that question can apply to video games as well. In fact, I'd say it especially applies to video games because video games stimulate so many more senses than just a song can. You have visuals, you have sound and music, you have haptics, you have engaging and emotional storytelling. Plenty of good stuff to experience again, especially in a game as massive in scope as Cyberpunk is.

Similarly, why do people watch their favorite movies more than once?
 
Let me ask you this. Why do people listen to their favorite songs over and over again?

I'd say the answer to that question can apply to video games as well. In fact, I'd say it especially applies to video games because video games stimulate so many more senses than just a song can. You have visuals, you have sound and music, you have haptics, you have engaging and emotional storytelling. Plenty of good stuff to experience again, especially in a game as massive in scope as Cyberpunk is.

Similarly, why do people watch their favorite movies more than once?
It’s a bit flawed if you factor in the time investment.
Movies or songs take minutes or at best a few hours. Games take a very long time to replay. Even shorter ones and good quality may be 4-6 hours long.

Anyways, the point I understood - just not the comparison. People can play whatever they want to play. For me personally, I sometimes do want to replay games (I am currently replaying Stellar Blade) but it is slow and time consuming and you miss the first time intrigue of it.
 
Honest question, who is actually still playing CP2077 and why?
Because it is probably the second best game ever made. It's simply satisfying to play. In most games I view the gameplay as a means to an end, that being progressing through the story. But in CP2077 when I clear out a hideout it becomes its own reward, even if I don't find any special loot or hidden secret. I've spent countless hours just driving or even walking around sightseeing / looking for trouble. The game map fascinates me, and I've been trying to get to places the player normally not meant to go to. From rooftops to hidden underground tunnels. There are also lots of side missions with multiple outcomes, experiencing all requires a lot of replays.
 
I actually just drive around a lot. Night City is the most immersive city I’ve ever experienced in gaming.

At 4K, on a 65 inch Oled, and with a 5090 pushing massive frames at max settings with path tracing enabled, the city is breathtaking.

I used to drive my car after work in real life to unwind, but now that just stresses me out. Driving around in Night City, and hopping out of the car every now and then to do stuff, accomplishes the same thing.

Maybe once or twice a week, I’ll do this for 30 minutes or so, and then I’ll play whatever game I’m actually playing.

I’ve had Cyberpunk installed since day one. I’m still fascinated by it, and it’s always the first game I play whenever I buy new hardware and am testing it out.
There's something oddly satisfying about driving around Night City. I never use quick travel in this game for anything.

The fact that driving controls are really awful (i'm a KB user.. maybe it's better with a controller... dunno) makes it even more fascinating. Caliburn is the only car that drives "normal"... maybe Quadra Javelin. Motorcycles are a bit more fun for a quick trip.
 
Because it is probably the second best game ever made. It's simply satisfying to play. In most games I view the gameplay as a means to an end, that being progressing through the story. But in CP2077 when I clear out a hideout it becomes its own reward, even if I don't find any special loot or hidden secret. I've spent countless hours just driving or even walking around sightseeing / looking for trouble. The game map fascinates me, and I've been trying to get to places the player normally not meant to go to. From rooftops to hidden underground tunnels. There are also lots of side missions with multiple outcomes, experiencing all requires a lot of replays.

There's a shocking amount of detail in some areas. You can go through a playthrough and miss TONS. I can only imagine how much work went into actually designing the city. There's so much stuff that's just there to build up the city and you're totally free to just blaze past it.

It's the most immersive city I've probably ever seen in a game. Yes, the simulation can get a janky/psychotic if you poke at it, but I've spent hours and hours just walking around the city. Especially at night. It's incredible when it's firing on all cylinders.

And holy god damn does it look good with path tracing and some mods. I almost have a hard time believing they'll one up it with Unreal.
 
I almost have a hard time believing they'll one up it with Unreal.
I don't really have faith that they will. I already dread the stutters. I'm curious about the Witcher IV, because if that's good then that gives hope for Cyberpunk. But if it's meh or worse, then I think project orion is doomed.
 
I read that CDPR lost the programming talent to maintain Red Engine. They still got it ported to Switch / ARM, though.
 
There's a shocking amount of detail in some areas. You can go through a playthrough and miss TONS. I can only imagine how much work went into actually designing the city. There's so much stuff that's just there to build up the city and you're totally free to just blaze past it.

It's the most immersive city I've probably ever seen in a game. Yes, the simulation can get a janky/psychotic if you poke at it, but I've spent hours and hours just walking around the city. Especially at night. It's incredible when it's firing on all cylinders.

And holy god damn does it look good with path tracing and some mods. I almost have a hard time believing they'll one up it with Unreal.
Is path tracing worth it? I dont have it enabled bc i am enjoying max/ultra settings everywhere else with really smooth frames
 
Back
Top