Crysis 2 leaked for PC

Yeh but in aus for example its actually cheaper to buy it of cd-key sites, even ordering a phsyical copy from overseas is cheaper in some cases

I didn't play BLOPS, but even if you bought a CD-key from overseas dont you still just activate it on steam and download it via steam? That's how it worked with MW2, but I'm not sure as I didn't buy BLOPS (actually I didn't buy MW2 either, a friend had it :p).
 
The worst parts about the consolization is the dumbing down of settings and controls. I hope we are given more in the final release but the menu is obviously a console menu, the gameplay is obviously designed for controllers which have fewer inputs. Many the PC roots of the game are gone from what I've heard.

1. Checkpoint saving, no manual save or quick save/quick load
2. No advanced graphics options, you just pick "low, med, high" graphics presets basically. No control at all over anything. Not even vsync!
3. No advanced sound options, no female voice, you just have volume sliders
3. No lean left/right - replaced by a horribly wonky leaning with the aiming button
4. No prone
5. No way to set crouch to a "hold to crouch" button. It only crouches on and off like a console game

Fortunately, I read the console is still accessible (maybe since it's a developer build, I hope it isn't blocked out like MW2) and you can do r_vsync 1 and cl_fov whatever, etc.

Still, I love beautiful games, I'm going to buy Crysis 2 eventually as I did Crysis and Warhead. I hope the multiplayer is compelling enough that it creates decent sales.

However, there are several reasons (having nothing to do with consolization) why the controls are simplified.

1. Nanosuit 2 itself is much simplified control-wise compared to the original Nanosuit. (This was, in fact, easily predictable, and has a basis in fact - Land Warrior, the real-world ancestor to the original Nanosuit, has itself undergone several improvements based on what was learned in the field. As a result, Land Warrior is deployed further afield now than the original was.)

2. Leaving console markets *completely* aside, the biggest criticism Crysis (and Crysis Warhead) took was the overly taxing hardware requirements. (You wouldn't play Crysis on a notebook - not even one from Alienware or some other boutique notebook house.) Crysis 2, on the other hand, largely because the controls don't require rocket science to figure out, and also don't require a PC with more muscle than the Governator to run, actually *has* a notebook market to target. If multiplayer is going to be a sales factor, notebooks can't be ignored.

3. While there would be some inevitable control-changes involved in a multiplatform title, consider the positive impact of those changes on what is still the largest market for Crysis 2 - PCs (now not just high-end desktops, but midrange desktops, and even notebooks). By breaking out of the exclusivity-box (which the original, and even Warhead, definitely occupied), sales increase. No game can survive catering to niche audiences alone.
 
2. No advanced graphics options, you just pick "low, med, high" graphics presets basically. No control at all over anything. Not even vsync!

Fortunately, I read the console is still accessible (maybe since it's a developer build, I hope it isn't blocked out like MW2) and you can do r_vsync 1 and cl_fov whatever, etc.

There have also been reports that the hidden VeryHigh graphics preset is also accessible via cfg files in the leaked build.

Chances are it's just like Crysis 1, where you would place something like
Code:
sys_spec = 4
sys_spec_full = 4
sys_spec_quality = 4
q_Renderer = 3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderGlass = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderIce = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_ShaderTerrain = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderWater = 3
in your system.cfg for VeryHigh DX9 mode. As long as Crytek doesn't pull a jerk move and disable cfg file tweaks, there should be plenty of options to fine-tweak just about everything in Crysis 2.
 
Again, how does this matter when it comes to sales?

Even with 250 million capable PCs, they only sold 1 or 2 million copies. With 40 million consoles (it's actually 50 now I believe, Microsoft announced it a few weeks ago), there are still 10 million sales. If PC piracy is higher due to a higher potential install base, then that same install base should contribute to higher sales too don't you think?

Actually, Crysis has sold upwards of 5 Million copies on the PC. Which for a game that is very demanding on hardware, is an amazing number on any platform. EA was full of piss and vinegar when it didn't sell a million in a week, but thats because they don't understand PC gamers. Console sales tend to die within a month. PC games have a much longer shelf life and sell more consistantly. 5 Million lifetime is a number any publisher would be happy with. Why do you think Crysis 2 is coming out for PC?
 
+1, and the reason why Crysis 2 is not taxing is because PC hardware has evolved over the past 4 years since Crysis and Warhead's release.


Wrong, the reason its not taxing so far is the leak only contains dx9 medium level settings. Dx11 mode on very high should be interesting to say the least.
 
Wrong, the reason its not taxing so far is the leak only contains dx9 medium level settings. Dx11 mode on very high should be interesting to say the least.

What makes you think that? Did you read my post, two above yours? People are able to play on DX9 Very High in the leaked build.
 
What makes you think that? Did you read my post, two above yours? People are able to play on DX9 Very High in the leaked build.

Yes, but a console pic has already been posted in this thread showing that the only actual option that goes to very high is render quality, everything else stays on medium. Its likely theyve done this so dx11 mode has more of a dramatic difference over dx9. Which wasn't true of the original crysis.
 
What makes you think that? Did you read my post, two above yours? People are able to play on DX9 Very High in the leaked build.

I don't think the assets are there. You can set it, but it doesn't look any different? I'm not going to play a leak, but from the various forum threads that seems to be the consensus. The comparisons seems to be lowish(console comparison) and medium(which people think is extreme).
 
Not to my knowledge. The numbers we're dealing with are all conjectures and assumptions. Like the guy who assumed there are 250 million capable PCs. Even Torrentfreak has no reliable way of gauging piracy figures because they simply can't know about Usenet downloads or Rapidshare downloads or some private bittorrent trackers and what not. However, with a sample size of 5 million pirates, I think it's safe to say that they are at least getting the general trends right, even if their numbers aren't. And that shows 4:1 piracy for the PC over the 360.

I think private communities of more regulated members are more indicative of these sorts of stats, public places like for example the pirate bay have multiple torrents, some of which are bogus, some of which don't work or are mis-labled, there's no good idea which downloads are dupes across torrent etc, it's just a mess for trying to read out meta data.

Below is a snapshot of Dead Space 2 downloads from a private tracker, there is only one release for each game there are no dupes, each account is unique and tracked.

You'll see the PC copy ahead with 1235 but the Xbox360 closely behind with 882 downloads. When the game is more consolized and has less appeal to PC gamers, something like Batman AA for example, you'll see the 360 downloads exceed the PC ones easily, so popularity on each platform plays a role on exact figures as well.

deadspace2y.jpg
 
Look at Rockstar.

GTA IV was apparently their last hurrah on the PC. I don't remember offhand but I'm pretty sure that got pirated from here to eternity and their answer was to drop the PC. No Red Dead Redemption. No LA Noire. Ultimately no GTA V. I think that sucks.

These are good games ( or will be.) They'd be AWESOME on the PC. GTA IV on the PC was a night and day difference vs its console bretheren. Practically a different game.

I agree it would have been nice to see those other games on PC. GTA 4 did get pirated on PC. It also sold poorly on PC at first. You blame piracy. I blame a 6 month lag time. I am a huge GTA fan, bought it day 1 for my ps3. Would have bought it for PC but I didn't want to wait. Also, a lot of PC gamers held off buying GTA 4 because of how incredibly buggy it was on initial release. It was horrid. If you look at lifetime sales GTA 4 has sold about 17 Million copies. From the data I gathered about 13 million of those are split between the 360/ps3. So 4 Million PC sales on a game that was very buggy and 6 months late is amazing.

Don't let the publishers propaganda of doom and gloom fool you. High quality titles still sell very well. Steam is an example of how well the PC community is doing. Steam is also a huge profit source for publishers. PC games sold on steam make more $ per sale than the console version since the publisher gets to keep about 70% of the revenue vs 30% instore (per interview with Gabe Newell).

PC gaming is doing just fine. Even if a few AAA titles miss PC, I have a backlog of about 30 games in my steam library I still need to play.
 
Yes, but a console pic has already been posted in this thread showing that the only actual option that goes to very high is render quality, everything else stays on medium.
Since then people have posted screenshots showing VeryHigh everything in console.

Here is one I came across the other day:
veryhigh.png


So it seems that at least the VeryHigh shaders are already in-game. As for other assets, who knows.
 
Since then people have posted screenshots showing VeryHigh everything in console.

Here is one I came across the other day:
veryhigh.png


So it seems that at least the VeryHigh shaders are already in-game. As for other assets, who knows.

It doesn't do anything though. If you read through the threads you'll see that. You can turn it down, but not up.
 
I agree it would have been nice to see those other games on PC. GTA 4 did get pirated on PC. It also sold poorly on PC at first. You blame piracy. I blame a 6 month lag time.

I blame all of the above.


I am a huge GTA fan, bought it day 1 for my ps3. Would have bought it for PC but I didn't want to wait. Also, a lot of PC gamers held off buying GTA 4 because of how incredibly buggy it was on initial release. It was horrid. If you look at lifetime sales GTA 4 has sold about 17 Million copies. From the data I gathered about 13 million of those are split between the 360/ps3. So 4 Million PC sales on a game that was very buggy and 6 months late is amazing.

Agreed. I, too, had purchased GTA IV on the PS3, played the hell out of it, sold it the second the PC version was confirmed, got it, played the hell out of it despite the bugs, the much needed patches, etc. I was right there with you.


Don't let the publishers propaganda of doom and gloom fool you. High quality titles still sell very well. Steam is an example of how well the PC community is doing. Steam is also a huge profit source for publishers. PC games sold on steam make more $ per sale than the console version since the publisher gets to keep about 70% of the revenue vs 30% instore (per interview with Gabe Newell).

PC gaming is doing just fine. Even if a few AAA titles miss PC, I have a backlog of about 30 games in my steam library I still need to play.

I hope you're right. You've made me feel a little bit better. :)

I just have to say I'm pretty dismayed and discouraged by some of what I've seen in this thread.

Guess we'll find out one way or the other.


And I stand by what I actually wrote, not what some people tried to put in my mouth.
 
Actually, Crysis has sold upwards of 5 Million copies on the PC. Which for a game that is very demanding on hardware, is an amazing number on any platform. EA was full of piss and vinegar when it didn't sell a million in a week, but thats because they don't understand PC gamers. Console sales tend to die within a month. PC games have a much longer shelf life and sell more consistantly. 5 Million lifetime is a number any publisher would be happy with. Why do you think Crysis 2 is coming out for PC?

I just checked wikipedia and it says that Crysis and Warhead combined have sold 4.5 million. Still, 4.5 million is a good number and you're right, that's why Crysis 2 (and other multiplatform games) still release on the PC. Despite whatever the developers/publishers might say or feel about the situation, the fact is that it still makes business sense to release games on PC because they still end up making some profit on it. It's a purely business decision, where emotions have no value or importance. However, they seem to have decided that it is not worth it to make the PC the lead platform, and sometimes it isn't worth it to pay more than the bare minimum attention required to the PC port.
 
It doesn't do anything though. If you read through the threads you'll see that. You can turn it down, but not up.
*shrug* Believe what you want. I've yet to see any comparisons between Hardcore aka Medium everything except Render Quality and VeryHigh everything.

I don't see why VeryHigh shaders wouldn't do anything when they are just presets for features of CryEngine3 which was released and feature-complete on October 14th, 2009.

The only things that would be potentially missing are assets like textures, models, animations, etc.
 
I think private communities of more regulated members are more indicative of these sorts of stats, public places like for example the pirate bay have multiple torrents, some of which are bogus, some of which don't work or are mis-labled, there's no good idea which downloads are dupes across torrent etc, it's just a mess for trying to read out meta data.

A site like RevTT is a much smaller sample size though. I went to the pirate bay to have a look at the 2 torrents shown in your image (1 for the 360, the other for the PC). You're right, there are multiple torrents for both. However, I had a look at just the top seeded/most popular torrent for each platform. Unless the trackers are lying, the PC version has been downloaded 35,000 times. The 360 version has been downloaded 5000 times.
 
Take a look at Metro 2033 or Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Visuals alone are amazing.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat didn't look amazing to me. It looks bad just like all the other S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. As usual it features horrible textures and the worst weapon models in any modern shooter. Metro 2033 looks great so I'll give you that one.
 
Rofl, that is some warped logic right there. :eek:

I am sure most PC users would argue the opposite.

If (and only if) they had the HARDWARE to play the original Crysis maxed-out detailwise, which would be very few PC gamers, even today.

The original Crysis (and Crysis Warhead, for that matter) is severely taxing on a system. CPU, GPU, I/O - all of it. While it looks darn good, it also decidedly makes it fit only for the burliest of hardware. If you are a game developer (or, more telling, a game publisher), why is that necessarily a good thing?

Even more telling, finding out that your PC *doesn't* have the mustard can't be good for your well-being, and would doubtless be all the more frustrating in a period where the economy sucks (which means your chances of even getting your PC to that point are slim to nil). None other than our own Kyle Bennett severely whacked Crysis for those taxing hardware requirements. (And he was far from alone.)

Since Crysis shipped, the mantra for *everyone* (including development houses) is simple - do more with less. Name one single game that has stressed PC (or even console) hardware as much as Crysis did since Crysis shipped. It has nothing to do with multiplatform trends, as SC2:WoL shipped just last year (PC/Mac exclusive) and the last Forza (a PS3 exclusive yet again) stresses the PS3 little more than the previous iteration. (The same applies even to XB360-exclusive HALO:Reach.)

The trend in game development (regardless of target) is to work with what you have on tap, and expect nothing more than that. What are we finding out? There's a heck of a lot of untapped potential, and not just in the high-end of PC hardware. (None other than PC/Mac exclusive SC2:WoL brought that to our attention.) There is some serious untapped potential in the middle end, and even at the bottom. Nothing I said means that Crysis 2 won't shine on the high end of PC hardware (in fact, I have every reason to believe that it will); however, the gimped state of the leaked code won't indicate that (to expect it to would be downright silly). If Crytek released yet another game that can only look good on the highest-end of PC hardware (whether it was PC-exclusive or not), Crytek would *deserve* another butt-kicking - for not listening.
 
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat didn't look amazing to me. It looks bad just like all the other S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. As usual it features horrible textures and the worst weapon models in any modern shooter. Metro 2033 looks great so I'll give you that one.

Not to mention the character models and animations!
As for textures, I actually think the first STALKER had better (looking) textures than Call of Pripyat!

Metro is superb graphically and the sequel is said to be even better!
 
Since Crysis shipped, the mantra for *everyone* (including development houses) is simple - do more with less. Name one single game that has stressed PC (or even console) hardware as much as Crysis did since Crysis shipped. It has nothing to do with multiplatform trends, as SC2:WoL shipped just last year (PC/Mac exclusive) and the last Forza (a PS3 exclusive yet again) stresses the PS3 little more than the previous iteration. (The same applies even to XB360-exclusive HALO:Reach.)

Metro 2033, Mafia 2, GTA4, etc. all seem to push a PC just as much as Crysis. A high-end single GPU card can max out Crysis at a good framerate, it takes SLI to run Mafia2 with Physx and AA, and I'm not even sure if anything has been able to run GTA4 at max settings yet.

Blizzard has never done a game that pushes the PC. Forza is a 360 exclusive; I'm guessing you meant Gran Tourismo.
 
Metro 2033, Mafia 2, GTA4, etc. all seem to push a PC just as much as Crysis. A high-end single GPU card can max out Crysis at a good framerate, it takes SLI to run Mafia2 with Physx and AA, and I'm not even sure if anything has been able to run GTA4 at max settings yet.

Blizzard has never done a game that pushes the PC. Forza is a 360 exclusive; I'm guessing you meant Gran Tourismo.

I've never played Mafia II but GTA 4 shouldn't run as badly as it does. It's graphics don't justify the poor performance. Metro 2033 actually looked good and thus ran badly at higher resolutions and settings. Especially if you didn't have the hardware to handle it.
 
Metro 2033, Mafia 2, GTA4, etc. all seem to push a PC just as much as Crysis. A high-end single GPU card can max out Crysis at a good framerate, it takes SLI to run Mafia2 with Physx and AA, and I'm not even sure if anything has been able to run GTA4 at max settings yet.

Blizzard has never done a game that pushes the PC. Forza is a 360 exclusive; I'm guessing you meant Gran Tourismo.

Wow uhh, you're kinda wrong. My 470 can max out Mafia 2 with PhysX and the in-game AA setting and even 3D. GTA4 isn't a problem either.
 
I've never played Mafia II but GTA 4 shouldn't run as badly as it does. It's graphics don't justify the poor performance. Metro 2033 actually looked good and thus ran badly at higher resolutions and settings. Especially if you didn't have the hardware to handle it.

GTA4's performance has nothing to do with its graphics. A lot of it seems to have to do with how Rockstar used Euphoria and their physics engine. Most likely it has something to do with home the world is streamed as well. Not saying they did it well, but it seems more like a design decision than anything else.
 
Some games are just poorly optimized for the PC. Good developers will take the time to balance GPU and CPU usage and if the game isn't demanding it seems the popular thing to do is load most of the work on the CPU. Some developers don't take such great advantage of hardware , I think BC2 is overlooked for how well it employed the usage of CPU/GPU and you can tell why it needed too plus it was cross platform. Metro 2033 looks incredible when the options are cranked up so its understandable why its so demanding and its also cross platform.

Crysis was a different story , it was not fully optimized from launch .. it got 3 or 4 patches and Crytek pretty much told everyone to fuck off and buy Warhead if they wanted a better optimized experience. Pretty disappointing to say the least. I remember how hard Crytek was pushing the mod commnunity about the amazing tools and support the game would be getting.

GTA4 was just a poorly optimized game , it felt like an after thought from Rockstar. Yea it was pirated it hard but due to the amount of launch bugs it contained I'm sure it was frustrating experience for more than a few pirates. I wish Red Dead had come to the PC , that game was so fun on the console. And even with Rockstar stepping away from PC development it , that doesn't bother me due to the way they've handled the GTA4 launch for the PC.

Cross platform titles don't have to be the kiss of death for PC gamers , if the developer treats it with the right kind of respect. From the videos I've watched of Crysis 2 single player on youtube the game looks pretty good.
 
Metro 2033, Mafia 2, GTA4, etc. all seem to push a PC just as much as Crysis. A high-end single GPU card can max out Crysis at a good framerate, it takes SLI to run Mafia2 with Physx and AA, and I'm not even sure if anything has been able to run GTA4 at max settings yet.

Of course we shouldn't forget that Mafia 2 looks like ass compared to Crysis.
 
I wish Red Dead had come to the PC , that game was so fun on the console. And even with Rockstar stepping away from PC development it , that doesn't bother me due to the way they've handled the GTA4 launch for the PC.

That is really too bad if Rockstar has confirmed they have given up on the PC altogether. Last year, they did port Episodes from Liberty City to the PC, the two DLC content packs for GTA4. I would love to play Red Dead Redemption on a PC. Damned pirates and whatnot killing us from getting games on the most powerful and flexible gaming platform. :( :(
 
Publishers are preventing you from getting games on the PC, not pirates.
 
Publishers are preventing you from getting games on the PC, not pirates.

+1

The pirate's thing is a joke. I buy PC games all the time and I do consider myself quite the pirate. I just don't pirate games because most often I only buy games I really want and I don't want the hassle of trying to get multiplayer to work with a pirated copy, which most often than not, will not work unless you have a legit copy. Even then, if I'm going in only for SP I'll still buy the game since I really do want it and see it being worth my money. Publishers or end-users complaining about piracy being the root-cause of all of this is just stupid.
 
I only saw a couple seconds of the video but it looked pretty good - got me more interested anyways, whereas before with the multiplayer demo I was kinda feeling "meh" about it.
 
Metro 2033, Mafia 2, GTA4, etc. all seem to push a PC just as much as Crysis. A high-end single GPU card can max out Crysis at a good framerate, it takes SLI to run Mafia2 with Physx and AA, and I'm not even sure if anything has been able to run GTA4 at max settings yet.

Blizzard has never done a game that pushes the PC. Forza is a 360 exclusive; I'm guessing you meant Gran Tourismo.

You're right, I did mean Gran Turismo.

However, most of the criticism of Crysis 2 (in this thread), aside from the sideshow-battle over what the leak (and the expected EA/Crytek spin-doctoring as a result of same) is over whether the game being playable on more commonplace PC hardware is a bad thing or not.

Here's a wake-up call, folks - a game looking good (not perfect, but decent) on mid-range hardware is never a bad thing. Such a game sells more copies (despite piracy), which means more opponents for multiplayer, which means more mods (where the game supports them, and Crysis 2 does), which means both the developers *and* publisher prosper, which means yet more games.

As long as Crysis 2 is priced like a normal AAA title ($50USD at worst, not the $60USD of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty) and gets rid of the bugs, it need not improve much graphics-wise from the leak to sell well. If (and I suspect precisely this) there's a lot of improvements that *didn't* leak that show up in the finished product, and the price holds, then it will sell like gangbusters (again, despite piracy).
 
call me crazy... but i bet they leaked it on purpose... seems whenever triple-A titles get "leaked" there's a buzz ALL over the internet for days...
 
I will not download it but I am ready to buy it if it proves to be a great game.

I am currently playing the original with graphics options maximized and it looks amazing at 2560*1600. Of course, my 6970 X 2 are not too shabby...
IMO, it looks better than Metro 2033.
 
on the credit on [H] page i almost read it too fast
"Thanks to Ryan711 for the heads up! "

i read
"Thanks to Razer911 for the heads up!"
 
I'm going to withhold judgement on the quality (didn't download, won't download) of the final product. I just watched a video on the CryEngine 3 and I gotta say it's pretty damn impressive - scaling well over all formats (PC,Console). So I'd assume there is something wrong with the leaked build if it looks bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kvl31g77Z8

As long as Crysis 2 is priced like a normal AAA title ($50USD at worst, not the $60USD of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty) and gets rid of the bugs, it need not improve much graphics-wise from the leak to sell well. If (and I suspect precisely this) there's a lot of improvements that *didn't* leak that show up in the finished product, and the price holds, then it will sell like gangbusters (again, despite piracy).

Just got advertised (watching that video) a "1 User" copy for $59.99 (preorder).
 
Back
Top