Crysis 2 leaked for PC

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems as though Crysis 2 has been leaked for PC. From what I've read, it seems to be missing a few things and thus is labeled as a beta, but I don't think it is anything too major. From the screens posted, the PC version is extremely underwhelming on high. Crap textures, especially in what appears to be the city. Looks like an early xbox 360 game. Though it could be better in motion, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Its apparently a really old build. So I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet.

Its apparently a really old build. So I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet.

Define "really old". The art assets weren't place holders, those will be the final, or close to final in the shipped game, and it looks like shit. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post screens, but there are a few floating around, and they quite honestly look like a COD game. The only thing that looks decent to me is the gun model, and even that doesn't live up to the first one.

the least you could do is link to some screenshots: EDIT: nvm they pulled them. i see why you didn't bother to link now.

Last edited:
Well it's running DX9, crashes on max settings, there's no AA modes... I'd say it's pretty old.

Or an indication of how the PC version will turn out.

One thing about Crysis 2 is the install size in the system requirements is much lower then Crysis and Warhead. That could translate to a smaller size in art assets, such as textures.

depending on how old the build is the textures may just be the basic textures, it may not have the high res textures added to it. so there are those possibilities. at least i dont have to worry about waiting for MWLL being ported to crysis 2 now :p.

One thing about Crysis 2 is the install size in the system requirements is much lower then Crysis and Warhead. That could translate to a smaller size in art assets, such as textures.

the way crytek build's their maps its easy to do, 90% of what you see on the map is fake texturing, for example crysis 1 you see the mountain range in the back, its all a single texture image, not much you have to load. now they are doing a city scene thats even less textures required. since you can just repeat the same texture over and over and you don't have to worry about actually doing real texturing on out of site things like say the 10th floor and up on the buildings.

the least you could do is link to some screenshots: http://gamingeverything.com/?p=1252

And get banned? No thanks. I'm not touching anything to do with a leaked high profile game like C2.

edit: after watching that video, it does seem to look pretty good in motion, and I think that was just on med. settings. I might have been wrong, I guess screenshots just don't do it justice

And get banned? No thanks. I'm not touching anything to do with a leaked high profile game like C2.

if you didn't take them then why the hell would they ban you..all you are doing is relaying information you found on the internet that anyone could of google search for.

N4G had some decent screenshots up (and now their link is not working, hence why I removed it from my orig post). The graphics look pretty good to me.

I don't see any reason to judge based off an old beta build when they have annouced that we will be getting a demo. I will just judge based on that

I still think nothing looks as good as crysis 1.

And I really don't understand that, how can a game from 4 years ago still beat games graphically (and imo gameplay wise) that are coming out today?? How the hell is this possible??

And I really don't understand that, how can a game from 4 years ago still beat games graphically (and imo gameplay wise) that are coming out today?? How the hell is this possible??

Take a look at Metro 2033 or Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Visuals alone are amazing.

Sigh, Crysis 2 looks horrible. It looks like a Resistance Fall of Man clone as it's just another "fight alien army in the city" corridor shooter.

The best parts of Crysis and Warhead were when you were a powersuited Rambo sneaking through the jungle killing North Korean soldiers and given more freedom and latitude about how to proceed. I don't think any of that gameplay is in Crysis 2 but I hope I am wrong. It just looks like a lame shooter that is even more on rails than the original.

The rock textures, the ambulance, etc. look pretty bad.

This build is supposodly from late january 2011. Was a thead about it on facepunch forums before it got deleted.

Take a look at Metro 2033 or Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Visuals alone are amazing.

I have looked at them. To me, running through the forrest, or looking at the horizon from the top of the mountain (like in the beginning of the game) during a sunrise was just beautiful and still hasn't been topped by any game out.

EDIT: there is no way COP looks better than Crysis 1 the foilage alone tells the story.

The leaked build is locked at medium settings, apparently. I thought the gameplay video looked damn impressive.

The real shame here is that this is bad for PC gaming overall. Crytek was already not very happy with the PC piracy situation with the original Crysis.

They will be steamed over this and other devs/publishers will be thinking twice about PC. An early leak hurts and hurts bad because many sales are generated by people who can't wait to play the game and have to buy it on release. That's why most publishers don't actually include DRM to stop pirates since they know it's hopeless. The DRM is there to slow them down long enough to rack up decent sales.

The real shame here is that this is bad for PC gaming overall. Crytek was already not very happy with the PC piracy situation with the original Crysis.

They will be steamed over this and other devs/publishers will be thinking twice about PC. An early leak hurts and hurts bad because many sales are generated by people who can't wait to play the game and have to buy it on release. That's why most publishers don't actually include DRM to stop pirates since they know it's hopeless. The DRM is there to slow them down long enough to rack up decent sales.

crysis 1 was one of the best selling pc games ever, fyi.

settings are medium by default, first map is a surefire way to crash, lots of placeholder assets still. it is definitely worthy of the 'beta' title right now.

crysis 1 was one of the best selling pc games ever, fyi.

settings are medium by default, first map is a surefire way to crash, lots of placeholder assets still. it is definitely worthy of the 'beta' title right now.

Was it? It was a bit slow in sales but hit 1 million in late 2008, more than a year after release. Is that considered "one of the best selling PC games ever"?

Even Amnesia the Dark Descent has sold over 200,000 units in just a few short months as an indie game. I think Half-Life 2 is around 10 million sold. I can't even imagine how much Starcraft 2 sold.

Was it? It was a bit slow in sales but hit 1 million in late 2008, more than a year after release. Is that considered "one of the best selling PC games ever"?

Even Amnesia the Dark Descent has sold over 200,000 units in just a few short months as an indie game. I think Half-Life 2 is around 10 million sold. I can't even imagine how much Starcraft 2 sold.

Crysis + Warhead sold 5 million overall. Crytek just got greedy and wanted to cash in on the casual "i'll buy anything if the tv tells me to" console market.

Also, is anybody starting to think that this might be some sort of viral marketing stunt from crytek? I mean, they know it's going to get pirated, so why not give yourself a little publicity and leak it early, a little broken of course.

Not really pc gamers fault though is it? From the looks of things with it being a dev build its someone inside ea or crytek who leaked it. Maybe Cevat yerli should spend some time on security measures than flapping his gums about pc gaming and piracey. Theres also a rumour that the 360 version has leaked, but in typical crytek fashion the pc leak is bound to get all the bashing when\if they address it.

Not really pc gamers fault though is it? From the looks of things with it being a dev build its someone inside ea or crytek who leaked it. Maybe Cevat yerli should spend some time on security measures than flapping his gums about pc gaming and piracey. Theres also a rumour that the 360 version has leaked, but in typical crytek fashion the pc leak is bound to get all the bashing when\if they address it.

Doesn't matter if gamers are innocent. It's always just a few pirate groups releasing stuff to the masses. Most aren't involved, they just download if it's available. The overall leakiness of the platform is certainly something that publishers hate and it's a reason why we keep getting saddled by worse and worse "always connected" DRM stuff these days.

its an early beta version. the only sales it will hurt are the same people that go through a book store and say a book sucks because the cover looks stupid. those are the people they didn't want to begin with. if anything it will help sales because people will see the beta and want to see what it looks like with the high quality textures. if anything crytek would be smart to post a news letter explaining exactly what the leaked beta is instead of trying to hide from it. take advantage of the publicity, it creates sales. yet no one ever does it.

odd's are its one of the closed beta testers. doubt its an inside job. it could also be an early release version sent out to a few review sites to show the game off to them before releasing the final version to get their take on the game. to many possibilities to say it was an in house leak. especially since the majority of early release leaks originate from review sites.

its an early beta version. the only sales it will hurt are the same people that go through a book store and say a book sucks because the cover looks stupid. those are the people they didn't want to begin with. if anything it will help sales because people will see the beta and want to see what it looks like with the high quality textures. if anything crytek would be smart to post a news letter explaining exactly what the leaked beta is instead of trying to hide from it. take advantage of the publicity, it creates sales. yet no one ever does it.

odd's are its one of the closed beta testers. doubt its an inside job. it could also be an early release version sent out to a few review sites to show the game off to them before releasing the final version to get their take on the game. to many possibilities to say it was an in house leak. especially since the majority of early release leaks originate from review sites.

That makes no sense to me. Gamers don't care if it's a beta or not. For most gamers, medium settings is exactly how they would play the real thing anyway. With an early leak, they would have played through the entire game and storyline already thereby having no incentive to actually pay for it.

I know that for myself, even if I watch a high-def "let's play" run through of a game on Youtube, I lose all desire to buy it. I've basically played out the game for free.

"gamer" is the only quality that doesn't hang the game, the game also refers to it as "low spec" so... maybe it's not even medium? shadows are completely missing and so is a ton of content... like the fucking ground itself outside for example.

wait for a proper demo, this is comically fucked.

Just watched some of the videos on Youtube and I'm impressed for an early build. If the settings are locked to medium, it still looks mighty fine IMO.

Honestly I don't see why a publisher would hate this unless a completely unplayable/shoddy looking version was leaked. It's my opinion this will only create more hype around it and lead to more release day sales - particularly since most people seem impressed with it.

Can't wait for it to be released, almost definitely a day one buy for me even though I swore I'd never do that after buying spore.....

So true :(

Metro 2033 was about as close to Crysis as anything else has gotten, but couldn't really tell because of the bland colors and limited game terrain.

Honestly I don't see why a publisher would hate this unless a completely unplayable/shoddy looking version was leaked. It's my opinion this will only create more hype around it and lead to more release day sales - particularly since most people seem impressed with it.

Can't wait for it to be released, almost definitely a day one buy for me even though I swore I'd never do that after buying spore.....

Then you don't understand human nature. Unless it drives multiplayer sales, it completely kills a lot of single player sales because people would have already finished the story and made up their mind about whether or not this is a good game or not since the entire thing is released.

Back