Crysis 2 leaked for PC

When you control the medium of delivery and have a virtual monopoly in that market, of course Valve can afford to do whatever they want with Portal 2. Heck, Portal was given away for free many times and yet it still made $20 million.

The reason for EA and other publishers starting to put restrictions on steam is that valve and steam is a competitor and like it or not, they don't want to be giving more money to the competitor unless they can get more profit out of it

This would hold true except for recently released info that 3rd party developers see a much large share of revenue from steam than retail. About 70% vs 30%. So publishing on Steam yields much higher profit margins.
 
Regardless, the future is online functionality, which is the ultimate DRM. Adapt, or die game companies.
 
4. It pretty much have no connection to Crysis beside showing [spoiler removed].. WTF?

If you're going to pirate a game, at least have the decency to keep it to your fucking self and lose the spoilers. :rolleyes:
 
I wonder who was the asshat that decided to leak the build? If there were ever a case for DRM it would be for these beta/preview builds. They need to make sure that they know who received a copy and be able to trace back to the source when these things are leaked. I will support them when I hear that they have in fact delivered a POLISHED build on release day. I own the first two titles and I had a blast with them and even though I didn't finish Warhead for some reason I'll still buy Crysis 2. It's just not going to be a day one purchase for me.
 
Which would get cracked in a matter of days (hours?) anyway.
Doesn't mean they can't try. If they are going to annoy the shit out of paying customers, why not lock down the preview builds as much as you can and make sure that you can identify which copy of the build got leaked. If they are just handing out copys with a NDA but no real way to enforce it, they shouldn't expect the material to stay under wraps.
 
I believe if its been leacked, its the company own fault. Either an employee working for EA has leak it or their FTP servers is connected to the source code files of the game, all this should be on their own intranet network server, that way its safe and no one using Internet connection would be able to access it. Like really be smart, its the company own fault.
 
I believe if its been leacked, its the company own fault. Either an employee working for EA has leak it or their FTP servers is connected to the source code files of the game, all this should be on their own intranet network server, that way its safe and no one using Internet connection would be able to access it. Like really be smart, its the company own fault.
The source code wasn't leaked. Binaries and assets were. You don't even know how it was leaked. All you need is one USB port on one machine that has access to the files, it's not difficult. Unless they leaked it with a purpose, it isn't the company's fault, rather it's an individual's fault.. whatever their personal motivation.
 
What with all of the whining Crytek has been doing in regards to piracy and the PC platform as a whole, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this leak was intentional, that way, when PC sales suck, they could easily pull out of the platform. Crysis 2, the sequel to PC gaming's favorite child, gone to hell because of pirates. Hell of a fallback story.
 
What with all of the whining Crytek has been doing in regards to piracy and the PC platform as a whole, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this leak was intentional, that way, when PC sales suck, they could easily pull out of the platform. Crysis 2, the sequel to PC gaming's favorite child, gone to hell because of pirates. Hell of a fallback story.

The funny thing is, they wouldn't be worth a shit if it wasn't for PC in the first place but, yeah..I bet their next release will probably overlook PC as a release platform (at least at first).
 
Can anyone confirm if Crysis 2 has an options for refresh rate control in the menu? My new (used) Sony FW900 CRT would be really happy if it did :)
 
Please tell me the game is still open world like the first one and not a hallway shooter CoD deathmatch clone. That's really all I want to know. I was not impressed in the least by the xbox demo :(

All things considered, shouldn't Crytek release a PC demo to tide us over?

I remember being blown away by the AI when two groups of enemies formed a squad while pursuing me. The terrain and open world of the first game made it something really special.
 
Not sure what cannot be discussed here but....

Please tell me the game is still open world like the first one and not a hallway shooter CoD deathmatch clone. That's really all I want to know. I was not impressed in the least by the xbox demo :(

All things considered, shouldn't Crytek release a PC demo to tide us over?

I remember being blown away by the AI when two groups of enemies formed a squad while pursuing me. The terrain and open world of the first game made it something really special.

....youtube should be able to answer this question for you but I'll forewarn you to brace for big dissapointment in that regard.
 
Can anyone confirm if Crysis 2 has an options for refresh rate control in the menu? My new (used) Sony FW900 CRT would be really happy if it did :)

nope, not even vsync or any other option can be set.. Only the preset setting.

This is quite retarded..
 
The game itself might be alright and multiplayer might be a nice diversion from the usual military FPS fare but Crytek has given absolutely no indication that the PC is getting any kind of special treatment other than dedicated servers. Even if the PC textures are higher quality I'm not expecting anything more than a console port.
 
So do you have proof that it was poorly coded or are you just some armchair developer talking out their ass?

Wow, armchair developer, that's a new one. The nerd equivalent of the armchair quarterback I gather.

No Mr TEchno-Madden I had all the proof I needed watching the endless disk thrashing, slow load times, game crashes and sub par performance on then top of the line hardware. Apparently you have no understanding of what poor coding is. I've seen it in more than just game software. I've seen it in application suites like WordPerect Office, and bloated OS's like Windows Vista and Server 2008.

Poor coding means not cleaning up your code and leaving loose ends everywhere without documenting your subroutines. Dropping more code on top of bad code to mask it instead of dealing with the real problem and not optimizing memory usage and library access.

Otherwise to you I say, Meh...
 
Wow, armchair developer, that's a new one. The nerd equivalent of the armchair quarterback I gather.

Poor coding means not cleaning up your code and leaving loose ends everywhere without documenting your subroutines. Dropping more code on top of bad code to mask it instead of dealing with the real problem and not optimizing memory usage and library access.

Otherwise to you I say, Meh...

Out of curiosity, how many PC games have you coded?
 
Wow, armchair developer, that's a new one. The nerd equivalent of the armchair quarterback I gather.

No Mr TEchno-Madden I had all the proof I needed watching the endless disk thrashing, slow load times, game crashes and sub par performance on then top of the line hardware. Apparently you have no understanding of what poor coding is. I've seen it in more than just game software. I've seen it in application suites like WordPerect Office, and bloated OS's like Windows Vista and Server 2008.

Poor coding means not cleaning up your code and leaving loose ends everywhere without documenting your subroutines. Dropping more code on top of bad code to mask it instead of dealing with the real problem and not optimizing memory usage and library access.

Otherwise to you I say, Meh...

Armchair developer was the best term I could come up with on the spot. It was between that and backseat developer and that one didn't sound good.

Difference between those examples and Crysis is that people have been able to find pretty distinct areas of proof to back up their claims. After four years the most people can do is point to some sketchy evidence. Load times can be due to poor coding, or due to the rather high resolution textures and large level maps. The crashing bugs are nowhere near wide spread. The performance "issues" can be either poor coding or just the fact that Crysis is still the best looking game in existence and at the time it was released the developers were pushing their tools and skills to the limit. Its debatable whether or not "future proofing" a game to work with hardware years down the road is bad coding or just poor management. Its also worth pointing out how well the game runs on lower end hardware and how well it runs at lower frame rates. I'll give you disk thrashing though, not too much reason for that to happen.

Games like Saints Row 2 or Force Unleashed are badly coded and one look at them is proof enough, Crysis is debatable. Is it perfect? Highly unlikely, but I don't think its as bad as some people claim.
 
Poor coding is not the same as poorly optimizing game resources for the capability of the target computer system. You could have the greatest game in the world, but if you cram ultra high resolution textures and super high polygon models in there it will still bring anything to it's knees. And unless you have a artist that can take advantage of those textures sizes and polygons, it may very well look terrible while it's at it.

From what I gather it's not so much that Crysis is a bad engine, it's just that the game's resources were poorly managed. Eg. computationally expensive shaders, that did could have looked almost as good even if they were mathematically less accurate.
 
*snip*
Its also worth pointing out how well the game runs on lower end hardware and how well it runs at lower frame rates.
*snip*

I would debate that point. I personally didn't think it ran that well on lower end hardware at all. By the time you lowered the settings to get consistently over 30fps through the entire game, it looked (IMO) worse than other games of the same era that ran at close to 60fps. It was playable on lower end hardware, no doubt, but i wouldn't say it ran well.

I'd also debate that it ran well at lower framerates. People touted it as being playable at 25fps, but I dont think it was anymore playable than any other game at 25fps. The biggest difference I noticed when I upgraded from my 8800GTS wasn't the graphical improvement going from medium/high settings to high/very high, but rather how going from 25fps to 40fps at the same settings made the game so much easier to play, I started hitting enemies much more often and winning battles I would have otherwise lost. Likewise in Crysis Wars I become much more competitive when I went from 30+fps to 45+fps.
 
My PC ran it fine and it looked as good or better than the other games out at the time.

Yeah, that's why I said "IMO" ;) I remember back in the day having arguments with people who said Crysis looked awesome at medium settings when I just didn't see it, and posting screenshots of Crysis on medium next to other games running at the same or higher framerates that I thought looked better.
 
No Mr TEchno-Madden I had all the proof I needed watching the endless disk thrashing, slow load times, game crashes and sub par performance on then top of the line hardware. Apparently you have no understanding of what poor coding is. I've seen it in more than just game software. I've seen it in application suites like WordPerect Office, and bloated OS's like Windows Vista and Server 2008.

So to fill you in on the development process. crytek did note that this is an early development build right? A dev build is going to be way different from final release code. It will likely include debugging code and maybe logging code. It might only include a subset of the total features or it might include things that get cut.

Basically nobody knows how anything that is in there will compare to the released product. The only way to tell will be to open up the archives and compare files against the finals to see what changed, although you probably will not be able to tell how it changed.

It BS comments like these that are causing problems for the developers, by leading people to opinions that this leaked product is the same as a final product. There is no way to make that determination now.
 
So to fill you in on the development process. crytek did note that this is an early development build right? A dev build is going to be way different from final release code. It will likely include debugging code and maybe logging code. It might only include a subset of the total features or it might include things that get cut.

Basically nobody knows how anything that is in there will compare to the released product. The only way to tell will be to open up the archives and compare files against the finals to see what changed, although you probably will not be able to tell how it changed.

It BS comments like these that are causing problems for the developers, by leading people to opinions that this leaked product is the same as a final product. There is no way to make that determination now.

It indeed is a early development build, but very close to final since its only a month or two before retailer.
 
Well all I can say is I'm pre ordering it. I've watched a ton of youtube videos of leaked gameplay, including mp, and I'm sold. It looks fun, period.
 
Yeah, that's why I said "IMO" ;) I remember back in the day having arguments with people who said Crysis looked awesome at medium settings when I just didn't see it, and posting screenshots of Crysis on medium next to other games running at the same or higher framerates that I thought looked better.

The graphics and FPS always took a dump on my PC when the game goes frozen, though.
 
everyone I know that has played this leaked version (all of 3 people) are now going to buy the game, when none even cared to play it before the leak...TAKE THAT PIRACY!
 
It indeed is a early development build, but very close to final since its only a month or two before retailer.
there is no "close to final". like I said, the build might include logging and debugging code which will not be a part of the final. This stuff is useful for programmers but it causes performance issues. you just cannot know.
 
actually I saw one of the videos of a easter egg in the game. based on that I can say it looks like this game will have more personality than the previous two combined.
 
there is no "close to final". like I said, the build might include logging and debugging code which will not be a part of the final. This stuff is useful for programmers but it causes performance issues. you just cannot know.

Based on the information, the leak is from January build.. That is 2 month before store shipping out..

How in the world they going to make a huge difference in a month? :rolleyes:
 
Based on the information, the leak is from January build.. That is 2 month before store shipping out..

How in the world they going to make a huge difference in a month? :rolleyes:

Remove debugging code that's slowing the game down?
 
Based on the information, the leak is from January build.. That is 2 month before store shipping out..

How in the world they going to make a huge difference in a month? :rolleyes:

You do realize that all developers do bug squashing in the last month or so of development? I mean ALL , this is common practice and the game is done and finished. No new assests will be created and its all tweaking now.

If you played the leak and it was buggy then you played it before the bug squashing phase.

Don't judge a leak as the final game..:rolleyes:
 
So to fill you in on the development process. crytek did note that this is an early development build right? A dev build is going to be way different from final release code. It will likely include debugging code and maybe logging code. It might only include a subset of the total features or it might include things that get cut.

Basically nobody knows how anything that is in there will compare to the released product. The only way to tell will be to open up the archives and compare files against the finals to see what changed, although you probably will not be able to tell how it changed.

It BS comments like these that are causing problems for the developers, by leading people to opinions that this leaked product is the same as a final product. There is no way to make that determination now.

I normally enjoy vegetables but not when they're disagreeable.


It's only BS if you don't agree with it as I understand you. I originally addressed the original product BTW which didn't impress other than pretty still images and cutscenes which is what the promo video for the C2 is full of. Unless 20FPS is acceptable to you that is.

You can't keep blaming the hardware 3 years later when most people have at least 1 generation newer hardware and C1 still doesn't run right. What's left? Vista was never a gaming platform so you can't blame the OS since most were still on XP. Can't blame the resolutions people use since most people top out at 19x12 these days unless they run Eyefinity and back then 19x12 was tip-top end. So try not to be surprised when a late beta of C2 may be an indication of more of the same.

Yeah, lot of BS there.

:rolleyes:
 
yes crysis must be porrly coded because it cant have 3000 plants on screen all using dynamic lighting, and then dynamic animating when you approach them

yeh total shit engine it cant do that at 100fps
 
yes crysis must be porrly coded because it cant have 3000 plants on screen all using dynamic lighting, and then dynamic animating when you approach them

yeh total shit engine it cant do that at 100fps

And a 6800GT couldn't handle it all at 1920x1200 with AA and everything maxed! Unoptimised!
 
Back
Top