CONTROL (Remedy)

Just starting playing this and immediately started playing around with graphics settings. But it seems that most of the time the changes I make to graphics aren't sticking, even after quitting to the main menu and loading the game again. Sometimes toggling RTX or DLSS works, most of the time it's not changing anything. With everything completely maxed though with DLSS at highest res upscaling to my 3440x1440 res, I'm mostly staying in the 50s on my 2080, which still seems much smoother and more responsive than other games at the same frame rate somehow. Turning everything off and the game at lowest settings still actually looks good too and runs at my capped 120 FPS locked since that's my monitors max Hz support. and it actually doesn't even really look that much worse somehow either. There's somehow no noticeable aliasing either with AA disabled, though maybe that was my graphics options not sticking still despite all the other settings changing, which was really only obvious initially because my frame rate doubled and not because the IQ looked that much worse. I can't get the game to seemingly run RTX with DLSS disabled it seems too, because after countless attempts, my frame rate still stays the same in the 50s with DLSS on or off and everything else maxed.

So is there a trick to getting the graphics settings to stick? There's no "apply" or "save" button that I can see on the menu, so I just esc. out and sometimes it changes and most of the time it doesn't.

Just starting playing this and immediately started playing around with graphics settings. But it seems that most of the time the changes I make to graphics aren't sticking, even after quitting to the main menu and loading the game again. Sometimes toggling RTX or DLSS works, most of the time it's not changing anything. With everything completely maxed though with DLSS at highest res upscaling to my 3440x1440 res, I'm mostly staying in the 50s on my 2080, which still seems much smoother and more responsive than other games at the same frame rate somehow. Turning everything off and the game at lowest settings still actually looks good too and runs at my capped 120 FPS locked since that's my monitors max Hz support. and it actually doesn't even really look that much worse somehow either. There's somehow no noticeable aliasing either with AA disabled, though maybe that was my graphics options not sticking still despite all the other settings changing, which was really only obvious initially because my frame rate doubled and not because the IQ looked that much worse. I can't get the game to seemingly run RTX with DLSS disabled it seems too, because after countless attempts, my frame rate still stays the same in the 50s with DLSS on or off and everything else maxed.

So is there a trick to getting the graphics settings to stick? There's no "apply" or "save" button that I can see on the menu, so I just esc. out and sometimes it changes and most of the time it doesn't.

That's strange. I made a few changes on the fly while I was playing, and they definitely took effect. They were minor changes, but things that are noticeable, like some of the reflection settings for RTX. I did most of the graphical setup at my first launch, so I haven't made drastic changes after-the-fact like you have.

maybe update something messed?

That's strange. I made a few changes on the fly while I was playing, and they definitely took effect. They were minor changes, but things that are noticeable, like some of the reflection settings for RTX. I did most of the graphical setup at my first launch, so I haven't made drastic changes after-the-fact like you have.

Yeah, after alt+tabing the game and bring it back up, it seems all game settings are sticking now... except for DLSS. Toggling that doesn't have any effect on performance either with RTX on or off it seems, otherwise I can't tell if it's really on or not. I'm guessing it's stuck on because I'm in the 50s with everything else maxed including RTX and with RTX off I'm in the 90+ FPS range. Oh well, guess I'll just keep everything maxed and play in the 50s or so, which is perfect on a VRR/G-Sync monitor anyways.

If anything I'd think they would bundle CyberPunk. But that's unlikely to happen at the GPU launch, anyway, they usually do that like a month later.

I would bet on Cyberpunk being the game that gets bundled with Nvidia cards...

Yeah, after alt+tabing the game and bring it back up, it seems all game settings are sticking now... except for DLSS. Toggling that doesn't have any effect on performance either with RTX on or off it seems, otherwise I can't tell if it's really on or not. I'm guessing it's stuck on because I'm in the 50s with everything else maxed including RTX and with RTX off I'm in the 90+ FPS range. Oh well, guess I'll just keep everything maxed and play in the 50s or so, which is perfect on a VRR/G-Sync monitor anyways.
50+-fps with what DLSS?res

50+-fps with what DLSS?res

The highest DLSS, which is half of my 3440x1440p I think, but I then switched down to the lower res and now get 60+ FPS and am sticking with that now since it still looks pretty sharp and good to me.

I'm playing with RTX off, DLSS on and it still looks great to me, and is like 120+ fps 100% of the time. Feels great to play this way, the combat is fun as heck.

The highest DLSS, which is half of my 3440x1440p I think, but I then switched down to the lower res and now get 60+ FPS and am sticking with that now since it still looks pretty sharp and good to me.

You can always give it a slight sharpen too from the GeForce Experience overlay

Screenshot - 8_28_2020 , 19_08_26.png

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I beat the original game on Epic game store and can get the season pass for under $10 with the coupon. Is there anything I am missing out on by not getting the Ultimate version on Steam?
It's going to be released to Epic in 2 weeks, which hopefully means those that have the season pass will be upgraded to Ultimate.

I would bet on Cyberpunk being the game that gets bundled with Nvidia cards...

Maybe Atomic Heart as well if it gets a release date in time. Just a guess, but it’s been a showcase of RTX since the beginning.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Maybe Atomic Heart as well if it gets a release date in time. Just a guess, but it’s been a showcase of RTX since the beginning.

yeah Cyberpunk will be a major seller regardless so no point bundling it (at least not initially)...Atomic Heart still has no official release date but it'll definitely be an RTX showcase

Anyone seen this kind of object pop-up or can replicate it? Any time I turn fast enough, I'm seeing objects pop up like that.

Also, the ghosting effect on the trailing edge of the cement block covering the plants half way through the clip; is that normal and tied to any of the graphical settings? Not a big deal, just thought it was an odd effect to have enabled throughout the game.

Edit: It seems the pop up issue is only for objects near the camera. If I'm far away from them, it's not an issue.

Last edited:
Just a guess on my part but it's probably an ultrawide issue, where objects are being culled from drawing based on expected 16:9 aspect ratio and FOV limits.

I have no noticeable pop-in either. I have everything at maximum right now.

From r/controlgame

Hi everyone! Just dropping by to let you know that we're planning to launch a Steam update in the next few days. This update will contain the following...

PATCH NOTES
* Control can now be played offline on Steam.
* Removed redundant developer info from the window title bar
* AWE content and opening mission will unlock properly when importing save files from the Epic Games Store version of the game.
* Fixes to Japanese localisation
* The Foundation: Fixed a bug that could potentially prevent players from completing side missions

As soon as we're ready to launch, we will let you know :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/il8wpx/steam_update_coming_in_the_next_few_days/

From r/controlgame

Hi everyone! Just dropping by to let you know that we're planning to launch a Steam update in the next few days. This update will contain the following...

PATCH NOTES
* Control can now be played offline on Steam.
* Removed redundant developer info from the window title bar
* AWE content and opening mission will unlock properly when importing save files from the Epic Games Store version of the game.
* Fixes to Japanese localisation
* The Foundation: Fixed a bug that could potentially prevent players from completing side missions

As soon as we're ready to launch, we will let you know :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/il8wpx/steam_update_coming_in_the_next_few_days/

Nice to see the offline thing is being fixed... our internet was down yesterday evening and I was pissed off I couldn't play Control, an entirely single player offline experience.

Nice to see the offline thing is being fixed... our internet was down yesterday evening and I was pissed off I couldn't play Control, an entirely single player offline experience.
Now all we need is to get us some RTX Laptops, so we can game Control during Power outs :)

I have a good generator, but theyre still loud....and the power is dirty..hmmm...maybe need to get a nice small Honda Inverter...HONEY I"LL BE RIGHT BACK!

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/870780/view/2883948114033703942

Steam AMA with Game Director Mikael Kasurinen

Hey all!

We're super excited to announce that Game Director Mikael Kasurinen will be taking part in a AMA right here on Steam next week!

The AMA session will be held on September 7th at 17:00 BST / 09:00 PDT / 19:00 EEST.

Of course, he won't be able to reply to you all, but he'll do his very best to cover as many questions as possible.

Leave your questions simply on this post, and Miksu will try and answer as many as possible on the day!

IMPORTANT: Be nice and respectful! The best Q&As will feature as part of our next Community Blog, over on the Control website.

First DLC was more of the same, not a superb story but still fine. I think AWE will have a more relevant story but have not yet played it.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Played AWE. Didn't tie in to Alan Wake as much as I wanted, but I suppose that is expected as it is just a DLC. A bit disappointing. Otherwise, more of the same. Not bad, but not superb. I'd recommend getting both of the DLCs though.

Finished the main game, but I think my game is bugged. I can't make the charger gun. From the various guides it was suppose to unlock after I got to a certain part in the story, but I never got it and got way past that part and finished it. I heard this happen to some PS4 players a while back after a search and the only fix was to restart a new game and that's not happening lol. Overall I liked it with the exception of this bug.

Played AWE. Didn't tie in to Alan Wake as much as I wanted, but I suppose that is expected as it is just a DLC. A bit disappointing...

I heard it mainly sets up a future Alan Wake 2 game...

Last edited:
I heard it mainly sets up a future Alan Wake 2 game...

Kind of. May as well. Might be a game with both Faiden and Wake which would be interesting to see.

Brings in other story elements not in the main game or Alan Wake, which is why I can see them expanding the series further.

Kind of. May as well. Might be a game with both Faiden and Wake which would be interesting to see.

Brings in other story elements not in the main game or Alan Wake, which is why I can see them expanding the series further.

they mentioned a shared universe so I'm sure it means you'll be seeing cameos from other characters in different games

Ive been having fun with this game. I like the twisted, Stanley Kubrick vibe and atmosphere.

it's funny that you mention the Kubrick vibes. Yesterday I started the AWE DLC and there's a carpet right out of The Shining in the first area you enter, lol.

I started digging into this recently since I got a 3080. Really liking the game on the whole but some of the side content (jukebox stuff for example) seems like a monstrous difficulty spike. Are you supposed to just wait to play it later? It's hard to know how well "levelled" you are for a lot of the content.

Back