Computer Abuse, what ticks u off?

Astrogiblet said:
Oh yea, I had a kid at school tell me "Those people who buy video cards are so stupid. Why spend $300 on a new video card when you can just download one! I did that last night. I downloaded a new video card."

How can you be like 18, living in this day and age, and not know sh** about computers?

It's people like these that give us fellow 18yr olds a bad name. I mean, really. I can't even go INTO a convenience store without having every employee's eye on me!

Not to mention, I've never been able to walk into an Apple Store and be treated with any respect. I've used Macs all my life, know more about them than most Apple Techs (And especially those at the genius bar), yet when I go in to buy something, or even worse ask for some product support, I'm treated like a fool.

I literally have to go in there, and before the Tech asks me ANYTHING I give them the usual speech:

"Ok, my computer's doing x. Now, I've tried resetting the Pram, formatting the disk (and NO you do not need to try it again!) re-calibrated my battery (ugh, dont ask). Ive removed the third party RAM from my system, and NO the RAM is not the problem, it's still doing it even without the DIMM installed (Then I either get a look like, "What's a DIMM" or "Yeah, had you bought our 300$ 1gb stick your problem would be solved"). And No, I dont run my laptop on a soft surface, I use it on either my lap, or my desk"

I had to go through Hell and back in order to get them to replace my Motherboard on the MBP... Even *after* the board was updated!

Danny Bui said:
3) People who no matter how many times I've told or asked them to will not update any of their security programs. Their reasoning is: "You always do it for me."

Make them start paying you, either in money or in goods or services. Don't wait on them like this. If this bothers you, then leave it for a good few months. Make excuses. Once their computers start breaking, and they ask why you didn't update for them, remind them that you asked them to do it themselves, and didn't you say how busy you've been with, oh, YOUR life lately?

DruSi3r said:
when someone changes settings on my machine; under XP i can fix anything but this girl messed around with my vista install and it took 15mins to deactivate the text to speach thing and get my desktop back.
who is this girl?

alan.p said:
Make them start paying you, either in money or in goods or services. Don't wait on them like this. If this bothers you, then leave it for a good few months. Make excuses. Once their computers start breaking, and they ask why you didn't update for them, remind them that you asked them to do it themselves, and didn't you say how busy you've been with, oh, YOUR life lately?

I am definitely doing that.

Danny Bui said:
I am definitely doing that.
lol gonna start charging people for your computer expertise? haha i should too but i usually do it for free but then again we all gotta an com lol.

khuyakuya said:
lol gonna start charging people for your computer expertise? haha i should too but i usually do it for free but then again we all gotta an com lol.

Very few people get my help for free. My folks, my in-laws, a few good friends (mostly more novice techs who get stuck). As for the rest...I take checks or cash.

PopeKevinI said:
Very few people get my help for free. My folks, my in-laws, a few good friends (mostly more novice techs who get stuck). As for the rest...I take checks or cash.
what do u charge?

KoZLop said:
^--- just switch the firefox icon to the internet explorer icon ;). Works all the time.

My mom thinks firefox is a type of version of internet explorer now.
lol!

I just had someone call their computer a CD-ROM!! WTF? gahhhhhh *tears ears off*

People that call a computer a CPU. Most of the time by people that think they are acting smart by using a slightly more advanced term.

I have a good one.

One of my brother's freshmen friends just bought a $4000 ALIENWARE aurora with water cooling, yet he got the x2 3800+ in it, instead of getting a better cpu and no water cooling.

He also thinks it is the fastest computer in the world because it has an "AMD thing" in it, and thus won't let me touch it. He also bought a 1600x1050 monitor for it, YET HE SETS IT AT 1024x768 BECAUSE HE LIKES THE ICONS "BIGGER"

ZOMFG!!!11!!! :mad:

Then to add insult to injury, he plays far cry on all of the lowest settings (800x600) because "its easier to see". He won't even go online (as in, go inside firefox) because he thinks his new baby will magically die from a virus.

I actually convinced him into letting me play far cry, and I adjusted the settings so that his monitor would actually work the right way, and he got super pissed at me for "messing his computer up".

EDIT: changed "screen" to "monitor". :D

dBTelos said:
People that call a computer a CPU. Most of the time by people that think they are acting smart by using a slightly more advanced term.
To be fair, they're not entirely wrong. a PC _IS_ a Central Processing Unit. In fact, in the 1980's, IBM and other companies marketed workstation PCs and "Personal CPUs" versus the mainframe CPU's.

So, while we geeks use the term CPU to mean something _very_ specific (a CPU chip), the term CPU is equally appropriate to refer to their PC.

cleathco said:
Things that irk me? Oh, HUGE list comin on!

1. Crap in the keyboard.
2. No Antivirus installed
3. No hardware or software firewall.
4. Tons of tangled wires coming out the back.
5. Messy computer desks.

Oh screw it, there's too damn much.
well, i'm PERSONALLY guilty of #2-5; never had a problem though.... of course, even if I did, I know how to fix it.....

swatbat said:
I know a lot of people around that age that don't know shit. Hell had to go to a lesbian friends house not too long ago to remove the memory card from her machines card reader because her gf put it in the wrong slot. I didn't care because I went later at night when they were in their sexy p-jays. Good times.

Really in this day and age you need to have some basic computer training. Hell they are getting cheapr and cheaper too. I'm typing on one of those walmart 400 dollar notebooks right now. Pretty impressed with how it runs(not that I've uninstalled most of the crap). For normal use this thing woudl be a great machine for someone.
you'd think they'd know which slot to put it in considering there are two slots in the house anyway lol...

When my friend (whose parents are buying him a x1950xtx for Christmas) insists that...

1. His current x1600xt 512MB can beat the 7900gt just because the 7900gt has 256MB memory, and that memory is the only thing that matters on a video card.
2. Refuses to wait for DX10 cards (even though he could get a better 8800gts for the same price as the x1950xtx)
3. Get this: he says that the E6300 that I suggested as a relatively cheap upgrade to his p4 is bad because "it doesn't support hyper-threading". *bangs head against wall*.
4. Refuses to listen about how his p4 isn't great, because he bought it for $380 last May and "it has hyper-threading". *bangs head against wall again*.

Basically anyone who thinks they know stuff about computers and is stubborn about it, but is wrong.

The Goose said:
When my friend (whose parents are buying him a x1950xtx for Christmas) insists that...

1. His current x1600xt 512MB can beat the 7900gt just because the 7900gt has 256MB memory, and that memory is the only thing that matters on a video card.
2. Refuses to wait for DX10 cards (even though he could get a better 8800gts for the same price as the x1950xtx)
3. Get this: he says that the E6300 that I suggested as a relatively cheap upgrade to his p4 is bad because "it doesn't support hyper-threading". *bangs head against wall*.
4. Refuses to listen about how his p4 isn't great, because he bought it for $380 last May and "it has hyper-threading". *bangs head against wall again*.

Basically anyone who thinks they know stuff about computers and is stubborn about it, but is wrong.

O MY GOD i hate it when people are like this. leik this one douche at my school who thinks his athlon xp can outrun a c2d because "its amd." makes me wanna puke.

People that refer to their CPU speed only by frequency. Ex: What CPU do you have? It's 3.2GHz.

A lot of my friends have Apple laptops that they insist are faster and better than my HP in every way just because its an Apple. It seems their rational is because they have a prettier OS their laptop is better than mine.

Hate to break it to you, but if they have power PC CPU's, they are probably faster as a PPC is much slower clock but much faster realistic.

Also, the newer apples are all pretty high end intel processors, so they are still probably right.

well they have the black macbooks, the 13" ones, and I have an HP w/ a core 2 duo proc with more memory, so I'm not so sure about that.

We could go into a long discussion on this. Like how apple is probably a faster os, and runs faster on 1.1ghz processors, but its not worth the time.

I think your comments seem like you are coming to this conclusion based on some blind hate for macs like 99% of the advanced windows users have.

Astrogiblet said:
We could go into a long discussion on this. Like how apple is probably a faster os, and runs faster on 1.1ghz processors, but its not worth the time.

I think your comments seem like you are coming to this conclusion based on some blind hate for macs like 99% of the advanced windows users have.
I think your comments are coming from a blind Mac lover. I do like Macs, but a system with a C2D chip and more RAM WILL outperform the current MacBooks. That is a fact.

Zero82z said:
I think your comments are coming from a blind Mac lover. I do like Macs, but a system with a C2D chip and more RAM WILL outperform the current MacBooks. That is a fact.

Blind Mac Lovers are much worse then blind Windows Lovers.

lol didn't mean to start a !!!!!! fight here, just thought it was funny that my friends thought that their more expensive macs were better than my comp just cuz they were macs. :p

P.S. I don't know if this matters, but I like macs too.

EDIT: oops i guess i can't say fanb**

dBTelos said:
Blind Mac Lovers are much worse then blind Windows Lovers.
I'm neither. I'm just trying to point out a fact here. Do you deny that the Core 2 Duo mobile chips are significantly faster than the older Core Duo chips? Because that is essentially what I was saying.

Astrogiblet said:

Yea.. OS X does scale back pretty well with old hardware, but I don't see how it relates with the guy comparing his C2D HP vs a CD MacBook.

I love my MacBook and OS X but it is a no brainer the C2D > CD and very most likely the "faster" notebook.

And.. faster OS? How do you even measure such a thing?

I'm no blind mac lover. Actually I just sold my one and only mac, an ibook.

I thought the macbooks were core 2 duo? Or is that just the pro's?

Astrogiblet said:
I'm no blind mac lover. Actually I just sold my one and only mac, an ibook.

I thought the macbooks were core 2 duo? Or is that just the pro's?
As far as I know it's just the MacBook Pros.

Codegen said:
why is !!!!!! blocked, but you can say fuck...

AMD vs Intel
NVidia vs ATI
Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft
Mac vs PC
Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Windows

Lots of opportunities for fanb*yism. It's a very overused word here.

edit: fanb*ys in general tick me off. I like Mac, but it's not for me. It doesn't run the software I want, and it's overpriced. I don't care which CPU or GPU I have, and all the consoles have their strengths.

PopeKevinI said:
AMD vs Intel
NVidia vs ATI
Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft
Mac vs PC
Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Linux distro vs Windows

Lots of opportunities for fanb*yism. It's a very overused word here.

edit: fanb*ys in general tick me off. I like Mac, but it's not for me. It doesn't run the software I want, and it's overpriced. I don't care which CPU or GPU I have, and all the consoles have their strengths.

Forgot the Firefox fan boys that say everything elce sucks.

Yea I know what you mean about !!!!!!s though. I use to work with someone who would be like don't buy intel they suck. Amd is better, faster, cheaper, etc. This was when amd didn't have an answer for the pentium m as well. Just made me laugh.

Back