Computer Abuse, what ticks u off?

Ionium said:
Oh god, the people who say "clock speed matters!" really need to die.

so true. it took me weeks to convince my friend that an e6600 could outrun his 3ghz p4 notrhwood. never mind the fact that the e6600 has dual core, is much more efficient clock for clock compared to a p4, and ocs better, in his mind, 3ghz > 2.4 in ALL cases :mad: :mad: :mad:.

GMoney42392 said:
so true. it took me weeks to convince my friend that an e6600 could outrun his 3ghz p4 notrhwood. never mind the fact that the e6600 has dual core, is much more efficient clock for clock compared to a p4, and ocs better, in his mind, 3ghz > 2.4 in ALL cases :mad: :mad: :mad:.

I woulda punched him in the face :mad:

Sorry to bump the thread, but I thought of something else that really pisses me off.

ZIP TIES!

Say you go to replace the power supply, if it's from a mom and pop store, you can guarantee that the cables are zip tied to every other damn cable in the system.

Ionium said:
Oh god, the people who say "clock speed matters!" really need to die.
It still does matter...just not as much as it used too, and is only valid as a comparator (if that isn't a word, well...it is now!) between chips of the same architecture (well...Architecture/Core I should say).

But yeah, Intel's 3.8GHz Prescott (i think that's the fastest they released) gets its ass kicked by a stock E6300?

just got back from a class in which someone said that sony vaios are the fastest computers available. OMFGWTFBBQ!!!!1!!!1!1!!!1!1!!!11 i told him that 1) sony doesn't believe that graphics cards are good for games (best one available is a 7600gt; not a bad card, but this is in a $2200 "high-performance" system. i would expect more) and 2) sony fills their pcs with unnecessary bloatware that does nothing but slow you down. i lost him at "graphics card." he then laughed at me for being such a computer geek (like i care) and told me i didnt know what i was talking about. all of this was after i saved him from an f by reconverting all of the pictures in a powerpoint of his to jpeg so they would work on the pcs here (he uses a mac because it's "more secure." ya, right. they just arent exploited because no one uses them).

there is NOTHING more frustrating than talking to someone who thinks they know what they're talking about, doesn't in the LEAST, and on top of that is unwilling to someone who clearly knows more than they do.

people that press every buttons on the internet, like they are playing hungry hungry hippo, and trust everypop up they see. Then answer the question "so what where you doing when ur PC started doing weird things?" with this responce "Nothing"

delemorte said:
people that press every buttons on the internet, like they are playing hungry hungry hippo, and trust everypop up they see.QUOTE]

people who use my pc like that get slapped. my bro used to then i did it to him and totally fucked his pc, fixed it, made him pay me $20 for it, and explained to him why you should NEVER do that. he got the message :p.

My mother calls PC's : IBM's.

She can make excel charts/graphs and use word, but she can't program the vcr to tape a single show.

I hate websites that force me to use IE rather than Firefox. I really love being forced to open up security holes in my system.

When I want to make my credit card payment I have to dig into my C: drive and open IE from there because the site says it doesn't recognize my browser. Then it tries to tell me I may be running a beta. Firefox 2 is not a beta, retards.

I better never meet the guy in charge of Wells Fargo Financial IT, or I may spend the rest of my life behind bars.

Rabid Badger said:
I hate websites that force me to use IE rather than Firefox. I really love being forced to open up security holes in my system.

When I want to make my credit card payment I have to dig into my C: drive and open IE from there because the site says it doesn't recognize my browser. Then it tries to tell me I may be running a beta. Firefox 2 is not a beta, retards.

I better never meet the guy in charge of Wells Fargo Financial IT, or I may spend the rest of my life behind bars.

Get the IE tab plugin for FF. It'll still be IE, but at least you won't have to bother with actually opening it.

UnlimitedMP said:
My mother calls PC's : IBM's..

Oh, it annoys me when people say "IBM compatible." Like I'll be talking to my dad about something, and he will be like "Is it IBM compatible?" ARGH!

This is more of a rant but I'll go for it anyway. The firm I work for(it consultants) setup an office for a timeshare place a like 8 months ago or something. At the time they didn't want a server. Well the corporate office for them decided to set them up with one. They sent a guy out to set it up. No tape drive or other backup setup on the new server. Nice. But that is not the fun part. Guy formated like 3 of the 4 machines they had while doing it. Didn't bother to backup any data off them. They lost a good 18 months of data as they were not backing things up(against our advice). We now get to try to clean up this mess as the other guy has just proven himself so well(this is not a normal client, we did it as like a one time thing when we wired the office).

What annoys me is,My whole technology illiterate family calls the case the hard drive and get all confused when I refer to it as the computer...when they tell me to use the proper term I feel like throwing a brick at them...GAHHH!! :eek: :eek: :eek: ...My dad also called a stick of ram a motherboard once.

nigerian_businessman said:
People who make the assumption that, because I'm such a nice guy, and because I know so much about computers, I won't mind fixing their computer or their parent's/uncle/best friend/cousin's computers, and I won't mind working for free.

I am generally helpful to people if they have problems, but theres always that person who takes an act of kindness for granted and then expects me to be their personal IT bitch. Its not so much working for free, its that these people don't even offer a few bucks or some beer or anything, just expect me to come by and fuck with their computer for hours while they interrupt me and ask all kinds of questions that they never remember the answers to, but manage to turn a 2 hour job into an all day thing.

You just described my last job(which lasted 6 months and got about -700 bucks out of it :( )

Astrogiblet said:
Oh, it annoys me when people say "IBM compatible." Like I'll be talking to my dad about something, and he will be like "Is it IBM compatible?" ARGH!
Are you annoyed because he doesnt know what "IBM compatible" means? or are you annoyed because you think nothing is "IBM compatible" anymore? hehe.

This thread makes me so angry, I compiled a list:

Monitors
-When people touch it
-fingerprints
-when people adjust the picture
-when people adjust the brightness and contrast
(CRT) when people turn it on and off continuously
(CRT) when people don't use screensavers and bitch when it burns in
(lcd) when people keep turning it on and off

Keyboards and mice
-when people mash it
-food crumbs
-when it jams up from said abuse
-built in useless buttons (slider, media buttons, application switch, zoom, keyboard home page)
-The stupidly expensive and useless functionality of the G15
-The G7 (don't improve on a good thing. you'll make it worse. Stick with an old favorite, the mx 1000)
-"color changing" paint. It looks ugly
-Light-up keyboards: Blindingly useless
-keyboard feet that don't stick
-wired mouses
-wireless mouse batterys on the g7
-low dpi on my mx 1000 :)( I still love it)
-Trackballs

speakers
-When people poke the speakers
-when people play with the volume control. It's set to 5/8 of 1/4 for a damn reason
-short speaker wires
-XFI
-Cheap speakers with godly soundcard
-Godly speakers with cheap soundcard
-Those crappy stereo speakers that come with all oem computers (the beige ones, that are about 8 inches tall, with a rounded profile, and advertised as 2000w or something)

cases
-When people buy the cheapest one because it looks nice and then wonder why it sucks
-Glowing neon
-Pre-mods
-Too small interior
-80mm fans in case
-Sharp corners
-plastic
-welded in motherboard studs
-restrictive fan grilles
-"gpu ducts"

cooling
-Poorly lapped bases
-Idiots who think watercooling doesn't need fans
-Idiots who watercool for having it (I do that, but I don't wave it in everyones face, post it as my msn screen name, post pictures everywhere, of the thermaltake big water)
-Fan bearing noise
-SilenX
-poor advertising (SilenX style)
-Innovatek
-ball bearing fans

Power supplies
-Morons who buy the cheapest one and then bitch when their computer lets out the smoke
-Aspire
-Rosewill
-Tagan (When you buy Tagan, you buy communism)
-topower based power supplies without proper regulation (all except ocz powerstream 520 sli)
-Doug Dodson
-LED's in psu's
-Over-inflation of ratings
-Powmax
-Thick snakeskin sleeved cables on topower based power supplies
-backwards SATA connectors (like on the ocz powerstream 420, the cable is done the wrong way)
-Unsleeved cables
-Ferrite cores
-Ball bearing fans in power supplies
-Fuhjyyu
-People who hate on ultra for their X-connect V1's, but everything else since is now pretty fucking good

hard drives
-When they blow up
-loud ones (like my old 60gb wd)
-low areal density
-PATA
-when you have to install drivers to use your sata drives
-5400 rpm
-BIGGER != BETTER !!!!!!!!!!

optical drives
-When people use them as cup holders
-LG Firmware upgrade software
-cyberDVD
-No SATA Dvd burners (except the $100+ plexy)
-Blu-ray

motherboards
-No heatsinks on the mosfets
-Crappy heatsink fans
-No drivers for anything but xp
-Driver incompatabilities (Realtek ALC850 + Forceware)
-DFI
-Poorly placed IDE connectors (Asus A8N is perfect)
-The CPU Power connector placed on the upper left edge. I want it near the ATX.
-When the little clip for the 24 pin is facing the motherboard
-IO Shields
-Intel ICH8
-Integrated E V E R Y T H I N G (I don't want integrated wireless lan antanee's, lcd's, 24 leds)
-Thermal pads under heatpipes
-Poorly laid out bios
-Mobo software (uguru, eztune, nos overclocking, etc)
-Bad temperature probes (Abit uGuru says my cpu is at 134. It's actually under 86.)
-CPU temperatures that report in Celcius
-Non auto-switching SLI mobos
-Pci-E X1 slots. Useless.
-<2 pci slots
-Asus chipset fans
-The nforce 4 heat output (more than my cpu)
-< 4 SATA connectors
-Fatal1ty
-24 pin connectors right above the pci-e x16 (CRAP placement)
-IDE between PCI slots (ahem, ab9)

video cards
-People who only know that their video card is "ati 128mb card"
-People who think more = better in video ram
-AGP
-Non flexable sli bridges
-Crossfire dongle
-Crappy video card fans (7900 especially)
-Excessivly priced cards (8800 especially.. I remember when a top end card cost under $250. )
-FX 5200
-Integrated "extreme" graphics
-People who buy QuadroFX's for gaming (doom 3 dreaming machine is an exception)
-Higher series != better. That's why the 9250's are not better than 8800 gtx)
-The GTX marketting. I want my ULTRA back.
-The excessive namings. I hate the "7950 GT GTX XXX XFX 666 Ultra Superclocked CO KO UBER Edition Fatal1ty Xtreme 512 256 768 GTS ACS3 Ultra MX 40,000 BFG Watercooled Intense gaming action doom 3 dreaming machine edition" cards. same with the X800, X800XT, X800XL, X800SE, X800Pro, X80012p, X800 128, X850, x850 pro, X850 se, X850 XT, X800 XT PE, X850 XT PE CO UK SP Ultra, etc

cpu's
-Clockspeed does not equal speed. It used to, but not anymore.
-Hyper threading. Worthless.
-Soldered on heatspreaders.
-Thin pins that bend easily
-Athlon 64 style pin layout (unless I look at the bottom, I have no idea. Pro tip: Just make it easier by removing the pins in 2 corners)
-Intel style Heatsink mounting. Eewww.
-AMD styled AM2 heatsink mounts. The K8's were fine.
-LGA. I want the pins on the processor.
-No heatspreaders. I don't like chipping.

fans
-SilenX
-Bearing noise
-Antec Tri-cool
-Ball bearing
-LEDs and Cathodes
-Crappy fan wires (yate loon is one)
-The addition of the 3 pin plug (I want molex only.)
-Those passthrough molex connectors (the pins never stay straight)
-A seperate 3 pin plug but with the rpm monitoring only. Hell no.

terminology
When people call:
-A Tower a computer
-A CPU a computer
-A computer a box
-A case a tower
-Integrated video a video card
-A heatsink a fan
-A ___ card (video, sound, whatever) a daughter card (it's right, but i hate it)
-When people sell computers without telling what type of cpu it is (When you buy this computer, you get a 3.2 ghz intel processor [it's a celeron])
-a mousepad a mousemat
-A monitor a Mon
-A cd drive a cup holder
-A power supply as a power source
-A video card as a graphics card. completely different.
-The symbol & as "And" (it's ampersand)
-the windows key as command
-A mac a computer
-A laptop a notebook
-A convertable pc as a notebook
-A laptop as an ultra portable (especially when it's like, a p4 with a 17" screen)
-A 5.25" bay as a "cd bay"
-The word "thingy"

security
-Norton
-McAfee
-People who use mac's so they are "secure from hackers"
-People who get me to clean out their computers of spyware
-People who do not windows update
-People who think Warez has Viruses. That only happens if you use P2P.
-P2P
-AVG
-People who don't use a firewall because it "consumes resources"
-Adaware
-people who leave all sorts of ports open that they don't need

operating systems
-Ubuntu
-Windows security
-Windows ME
-Debian
-Tour windows XP
-Internet games
-Games that come installed
-"value added" bloatware
-Limited user accounts in XP
-Pre-installed but un-uninstallable software (ie, msn, etc)
-"My" whatever.
-My music. I don't use it and don't intend to.
-The people who use one partition. Then whine about backing up
-Partition Magic
-Lilo
-Default Windows XP Fisher Price edition
-Litestep
-KDE

The internet
-MYSPACE
-Face book
-"referal" offers
-SPAM
-ALL "social network" 's
-wen u type like dis, k? it rlly makes me angry b/c u cant read what i m typing. it doz not help that im a grmmr nazi.
-Flash
-Popup ads
-Google text ads (normal is ok)
-No script firefox extension. Eewww.
-Firefox. Overhyped, overbloated, piece of shit. Better than Ie, but better alternatives.
-Internet Exploder. I hope this dies.
-"open source". For every open source application, there is a better closed source application.
-GaIM. Most useless waste of time Ever.

games
-MMORPG's and the morons who won't shut the fuck up about why it's so great, their level 42 knight mage elf druid with golden barbarian axe with +3+3+6 armor and their bronze skull cap helmet with gold inlay. It's ok if you play MMO's, but when you don't stop talking about it
-Turn-based strategy games. Only for those who can't play Realtime properly.
-Battlefield 2. It's not a bad game, but monthly 500mb patches for something they could have fixed earlier? Poor management, patches, gameplay.
-Another WWII Realism based shooter. Somewhere between Enemy Territory and Day of Defeat source, we have had enough.
-Games that make it so you have to be good to have the good weapons. Like in TCE, you have to have an AA of 4 before you get the M4. Of course, if you aren't good with the base guns, you'll never get there, and keep getting slaughtered
-Counter strike buying system.
-AWP. I was playing 24/7 dust. 15/16 players on each team were using awp.
-Autosniper
-Steam.
-One-life type shooters. You die, and then you wait. Me, I exit the game.
-Bomb mode.
-Spawn killers
-Lag
-Killer NIC
-Teamkillers
-Rules of Engagement in TrueCombat (you lose 3 points if you accidentily click when you are in spawn. Even if it's an accident. )

Tech support
-Tech support that thinks you are dumb
-Dell tech support
-Outsourced tech support
-Cross shipping only. I want my traditional rma.
-Products that break 1 week after warrenty
-People who expect me to tech support for free. $30 per hour in cash, goods, or services.
-Tech support that doesn't speak english
-People who expect me to fix everything in their house when I am only fixing one thing. That will be $30 per hour in cash, goods, or services.
-People that break some hardware and want me to fix it.
-People who take their shit to bestbuy. I'll do it for half what they want without putting your shit on the internet and selling your email.

Media
-Windows media player
-Realplayer
-Quicktime
-"value added" software
-.ogg songs
-Uncompressed WAV
-MP3 under 192kb
-Realtek sound manager

Pre-built computers
-Poorly made
-Bad wire management
-Not getting what you ordered
-"Free upgrade" to crappier parts
-Generic psu's
-Not even a zip tie here and there
-Unstable after a build
-bad tech support
-"Warrenty does not cover accidental or intentional damage, worksmanship, or parts"
-Trying to upsell things
-Styrofoam packing peanuts
-Not plugging in the front panel connections
-crappy $9.99 cases which won't hold up their own weight
-Putting company logos EVERYWHERE (a huge etch on the window, engraved into the side panel, and 5 stickers)
-Sealing off the computer with "warrenty void if removed" but with the sticker pre-removed
-Locking the computer shut with a padlock
-Only giving you part of what you want, then making you upgrade to get the rest

companies
-Alienware
-Dell
-Fatal1ty (not really a company)
-KillerNIC
-Ageia physX
-Real media
-Apple
-outsourced tech support companies
-UPS

overclocking
-"My computer runs 1m pi in under 20 seconds, so it will be faster than yours in a hard drive benchmark"
-synthetic benchmark (3dmark and the like)
-"NO, 50 degrees is bad on a prescott"
-"Lets see how far my hand picked engineering sample chip will overclock"
-XtremeSystems

Instant messaging
-mIRC. It causes cancer.
-GaIM
-wen u talk lik dis. it makes u look rly stupid.
-People who put their girlfriend/wife/boyfriend as their display picture
-People who won't stop bothering you
-IM clients that make sounds
-People who invite you non stop to shitty group conversations
-People with a billion screen names and emails that just won't leave you alone
-People who send you files non stop, of their favorite dog's turd, etc. Especially when I'm playing a game.

There's more, but I'm tired.

enginurd said:
Are you annoyed because he doesnt know what "IBM compatible" means? or are you annoyed because you think nothing is "IBM compatible" anymore? hehe.

Its just such a stupid sounding old term.

MAN!

Bbq..............you have so much there, I think therapy might help. ;) (wait....I agree with most of it........but I swear I AM ok.)

:p I got tired at the end. And it was late. Otherwise, I could have gone on and on and on...

I completely removed the MP3 player section, and advertising section.

Bbq said:
-Hyper threading. Worthless.

It improves performance 25% across the board, I don't see where your getting this from (unless your another AMD no-matter-what fan, then it explains everything).

For what I do, it's worthless. Which is rather single threaded.

As of the second part, I go with whatever's best. I have rigs of both intel and AMD, whatever's best at the time. I even have a Cyrix..

Hyper-threading lets me run two instances of F@H at the same time. That makes it good enough for me.

hyper-threading simulated dual-core. with real dual-core out now, there isn't much of a use for it. the thing that makes me mad about hyper-threading is when people won't buy new cpus due to a lack of hyper-threading. it's like "core 2 duo is the best cpu line out there." "does it have hyper-threading?" "well, no" "then it sucks. hyper-threading is a must in this day and age" ARRGH :mad: :mad: :mad:

GMoney42392 said:
hyper-threading simulated dual-core. with real dual-core out now, there isn't much of a use for it. the thing that makes me mad about hyper-threading is when people won't buy new cpus due to a lack of hyper-threading. it's like "core 2 duo is the best cpu line out there." "does it have hyper-threading?" "well, no" "then it sucks. hyper-threading is a must in this day and age" ARRGH :mad: :mad: :mad:
Compared to a real dual-core it's obviously inferior, but compared to similar single-core non-HT chips, it's a pretty handy feature. Not useful for everything obviously, but it does help in multi-threaded apps compared to running without it.

Bbq said:
I could have gone on and on and on...

Could have? :eek:
Man that's a hell of a list you got there.
Gotta admit though, I agree with most of it. :D

People touching my screens.
People touching the painted surface of my laptop.
Button mashers.
People who bitch at fingerprints on my TOUCHSCREEN LCD.
People who click every damn ad they see.

People who I am forced to share a computer with starts to:

1)COUGH into the screen. I use the computer next and find friggin streak marks and spots on my monitor :mad:

2)Same person asks me to check my email on his/her behalf, and the person is purposely looking to remember my login and password for my email account. Only when I delberately stare at this person will he/she back off and look away

Whenever my mom emails me, she signed her name at the end of the email. Like I don't fucking know who you are.

People that think Dells>all.
Example-We were in the computer lab at school, and the kid next to me complains to no one in particular, and I quote "Argh these computers suck, we need dells." (Some Celeron D Gateways, work fine for what their used for) Because the word processing software froze after he spammed ctrl+v repeatedly copying 3000 characters of text.

People who have been using computers for years but still don't know the most basic things.
My grandma for example, doesnt know how to right click, copy and paste, and she calls the tower the modem.

Mac zealots

ESPECIALLY those mac commercials.

People who think I don't know more about computers than they do because of my age, (14 if your wondering).

People who can't wait for a app to load, and result to clicking randomly or smacking the monitor/tower.

Retards who think all flatscreens>crt's

People who have no idea what a flash drive is.

People who are buying Vista just because it is "new"

Gautama said:
People who think I don't know more about computers than they do because of my age, (14 if your wondering).
Aw, fuck. You just reminded me of one more thing.

I'm 15, I've known a lot about computers for years. Which is why throughout elementary school, if something fucked up on one of the comps, it HAD to be me that did it.

Codegen said:
Aw, fuck. You just reminded me of one more thing.

I'm 15, I've known a lot about computers for years. Which is why throughout elementary school, if something fucked up on one of the comps, it HAD to be me that did it.

AMEN. I had a computer builder blame me (indirectly) for messing up some BIOS settings in my Aunt's computer. Her husband chewed me out saying that computer was essential to their business and that I was no longer allowed to touch it because if it's broke than they can't do their work. But I had never messed with the system, just browsed the internet on it.

The funny thing though is that it turns that this computer builder was an incompentant asshole and the problem was HIS fault. His store ended up going out of business because of his incompetence..

I never did get an apology from my uncle about that. Now though, my Aunt calls me first to work on her computers.

#1 A dirty monitor, desk, tower - finger prints dust...etc
#2 When people touch my monitor (My dad did that all time until I told him not to)
#3 People that think because you know how to fix PCs that you will fix them for free.
#4 Apple lovers (One of my friends had a girlfriend that was like that... lets just say she was'nt around to long)
#5 People that think dells are better than any other systems.
#6 People putting there feet on there tower.
#7 People that, when load a large file click on every thing in sight.

The only 2 things that really piss me off is when people touch my screen and when people use my computer and just install ramdom stuff, download stuff and dont delete it, leave stuff in the wrong places, etc...

GMoney42392 said:

If they're ignorant enough to not even understand what hyperthreading is, then, well..they need to be educated.

Hyper Threading is a CPU extension found in most modern P4s. The chip itself has a full core, and a few more components that allow for a second thread to be executed simultaneously. This technology was made to make better use of the extremely long pipeline of the modern P4s (Prescott, Cedar Mill..), and its actually proven to increase performance by 25%. Multi-tasking is pretty smooth, thanks to HT. It's not the alternative to dual core, its just a technology.

there are three things that really piss me off,

impatient people who click on the icon like 20 times to open the app, and then do it repeatedly until it opens, im just like, uh u just have to double click it. and people who think i know nothing about computers just because im 14. the last one gets on my nerves the most, its the people who think they know everything about computers yet they dont know jack sh!t, like one kid i go to school with claimed he knew how to hack the system and make himself an admin, then like 10 seconds later he asked me how to open IE. i couldnt stop laughing

Emission said:
If they're ignorant enough to not even understand what hyperthreading is, then, well..they need to be educated.

Hyper Threading is a CPU extension found in most modern P4s. The chip itself has a full core, and a few more components that allow for a second thread to be executed simultaneously. This technology was made to make better use of the extremely long pipeline of the modern P4s (Prescott, Cedar Mill..), and its actually proven to increase performance by 25%. Multi-tasking is pretty smooth, thanks to HT. It's not the alternative to dual core, its just a technology.

Don't forget Northwoods had it too. And there are some Netburst chips that are Dual core with Hyperthreading. Plus Hyperthreading will make a return in the not so distant future on the Core lineup.

Gautama said:
...and she calls the tower the modem.

I have a couple friends that are 30-ish year old grown ass men that do that.
"Can you take a look ay my modem, it ain't workin'." God I hate that.

feverlax said:
like one kid i go to school with claimed he knew how to hack the system and make himself an admin, then like 10 seconds later he asked me how to open IE. i couldnt stop laughing
Those people piss me off. :mad: General ignorance of PCs while pretending to be smart is also really annoying; like this:

me: so do you play any PC games?
him (mainly a console guy): no, but I'm glad I don't because they make your pc slow and take up a lot of memory!
:rolleyes: He sort of has a point, but come on, not every computer is a slow piece of shit.

NukeULater said:
#1 A dirty monitor, desk, tower - finger prints dust...etc
#2 When people touch my monitor (My dad did that all time until I told him not to)
#3 People that think because you know how to fix PCs that you will fix them for free.
#4 Apple lovers (One of my friends had a girlfriend that was like that... lets just say she was'nt around to long)
#5 People that think dells are better than any other systems.
#6 People putting there feet on there tower.
#7 People that, when load a large file click on every thing in sight.

I always put my feet on my folding rig...is that bad? :D

Back