Computer Abuse, what ticks u off?

GMoney42392 said:
there is NOTHING more frustrating than talking to someone who thinks they know what they're talking about, doesn't in the LEAST, and on top of that is unwilling to someone who clearly knows more than they do.

Don't even complain.

I had a friend who was CONVINCED Mp3's weren't stereo sound files. :mad:

Gautama said:
Whenever my mom emails me, she signed her name at the end of the email. Like I don't fucking know who you are.

People that think Dells>all.
Example-We were in the computer lab at school, and the kid next to me complains to no one in particular, and I quote "Argh these computers suck, we need dells." (Some Celeron D Gateways, work fine for what their used for) Because the word processing software froze after he spammed ctrl+v repeatedly copying 3000 characters of text.

People who have been using computers for years but still don't know the most basic things.
My grandma for example, doesnt know how to right click, copy and paste, and she calls the tower the modem.

Mac zealots

ESPECIALLY those mac commercials.

People who think I don't know more about computers than they do because of my age, (14 if your wondering).

People who can't wait for a app to load, and result to clicking randomly or smacking the monitor/tower.

Retards who think all flatscreens>crt's

People who have no idea what a flash drive is.

People who are buying Vista just because it is "new"

i was waiting for someone to mention those mac commercials

including the it department and myself, there's maybe 40 people at my school out of the 500+ students and faculty that know squat about computers, and being a fellow 14-yr-old, i feel your pain.
example: before one of my classes, this one senior was showin off and braggin about his $4k vaio lappy. he said, and i quote, "sony vaios are, like, the fastest computers out there. they just get viruses really easily because their cpus are so fast they don't notice the viruses." i told him "no, they aren't in the same galaxy as the fastest computers out there, and they're prone to viruses because you don't have antivirus, dumbass. and this is an x505, a notebook with a 1.1ghz low voltage intel proc, so even if that bullshit about the cpu bein too fast to notice viruses was true, this cpu would notice everything." but, him being a senior and me a freshman, he said i didn't know jack shit about computers and that his laptop was soooooooooooooo much faster than any compy that i could name because it weighed like 2 lbs and cost $4k. if he wasn't twice my size, i would have bitch-slapped him.

another big one is parents who don't know anything about computers, and set "reasonable" rules about computer usage that are completely bogus.
example: it took my mom weeks before she let me use her laptop to view these very forums because she thought you were all hackers tryin to steal her credit card info. not only would that be nearly impossible in a purely html environment, i told her, but any talk of hacking im pretty sure isn't allowed.
another example: my friend's mom used to not allow my friend to have more than 2 games installed on their computer at a time, despite having a 250gb hard drive. she cited that their old pc, which was bloated out of proportion with adware, spyware, and other kinds of crap, had too many games on it and she didn't want that to happen again. i explained to her several times that it wasn't games that filled the old pc (the only game it had was simant, but most of the spyware had names that sounded like games), but to no avail until our local paper printed a story about spyware and how it works. she finally saw the light and let them get games for their pc again. however, she's now convinced that their geforce fx 5200 wil run any game they want to play because 5,200 is a high number. there goes another 2 weekends :rolleyes:.

I get ticked off at people at my university that shake the mouse like their life depends on it in order to wake up the pc from stand by. Like shaking the mouse every which way will make the comp turn on any quicker :rolleyes: .

Arcygenical said:
Y'know... I think I just hate PEOPLE.

Like, everything about them... In general.

Agreed, anyone who doesnt know anything about computers might as well just die. ;)

People who think the crappy Celeron Dell they can get is better then the core 2 duo system I can build them.

People who don't scan for spyware.

People who still run 486s and wonder why they can't upgrade.

People who complain computers move too fast because there old PC that is from the 1980s can't run Windows 95.

People who smoke, and never clean out their computers (nasty shit!)

People that blame me when there computer screws right up and has to be formatted.

When people refer to response time as refresh rate.

People who consider a 6600 LE a gaming video card.

As you can see I work at a small computer store as a techie. People just piss me off.

i second the smokers.... honestly if i does that to your PC/Mac think of what your lungs look like...

I had a new imac (less than 6 mo old) and it was all yellow and nasty from smoke..

honestly people need to stop smoking and there is no good reason to do it.. including what it does to your stuff....

People that think their age/ income gives them supernatural powers on forums. ie:

"Now I am a 35 year old banker with 2 wives and 10 kids and earn $350k a year, so you must believe everything I say."

1. Resolution 800x600 makes me angry.

2. People who always recommend more RAM. Please shut the f*** up.

3. I dislike the fact that when I receive my CDs/DVDs back, they now have a plethora of f***ing scratches and fingerprints. It makes me want to grab my bat and beat the stuffing out of the borrower.

4. Using university computers that are outdated make me mad. All the computers still use IE6 when the stable IE7 version has been out for about a couple months. I despise opening multiple web pages in new windows as opposed to tabs. Luckily, I run Firefox Portable from my USB flash drive.

5. People who call a USB flash drive a thumb drive. Shove your thumb up you’re a** why don’t you? One moron in physics class called it a zip drive all the f***ing time. I wanted to b**** slap that son of a b****. People who buy fat USB flash drives that don’t fit into the port.

6. Ignorant fellows who still believe to this day that the P4 is the best processor known to mankind.

7. My very own mother won’t purchase anything on the net due to paranoia of her credit card number being stolen.

8. My mom acquires a copy of Norton server edition for 60 smackers. She then installed it onto a machine with a mere 128MB of RAM with an old AMD XP CPU.

9. People who run every stinking application known to their machine on startup and complain why their computer is slow piss me off.

10. Annoying fellows who type rather loudly as if they want you to hear them type because they think that they type at an impressive rate when in actuality they’re typing at a sub par rate.

11. People who design web pages that look like complete ass. I should not and I repeat should not have to hit “Ctrl+A” to read the crap. For instance, some girl MySpace with pink background and pink text along with small a** text do not go well together. I despise invisible links as well which only mysteriously appear with the magical “Ctrl+A” hotkey.

12. MySpace made me realize how people in general are far more stupid than I actually realized.

13. “how mach fo yo shild?” Illiterate beings do not belong on the net.

14. Ignorant friend of mine bought an overpriced Alienware with a 5,400 RPM HDD with SLI for a whopping three grand. To this day, he only plays WoW. He also claims it’s far faster than my custom machine. Look at my signature.

15. Floppy disk drives are ancient and should be removed from the face of the earth.

16. People who only use the driver included on their CD and never update the driver and then wonder why their printer isn’t working.

17. Do not call my machine a CPU. I’ll whip your ass.

18. My roommate last year decided to place duct tape over my blue LED on my computer last year because he claimed he couldn’t sleep due to its brightness. I kept repeatedly taking the f***ing tape off in the morning. By the way, it was my duct tape. Eventually, this left some residue. I got pissed and took out the LED. I somehow lost it and don’t even know where the **** it is to this day.

19. Some sneaky individual decided to steal all the mice’s balls in my engineering class back in high school. The teacher got really pissed and there was no AutoCAD that day to be used.

20. Some strange being decided to place nerds (candy) inside a Mac’s FDD in my Electronics class in high school. In that very same class, someone else decided to stick an LED into a wall socket. Let’s just say it exploded rather loudly.

It doesn't bother me really, but my brother calls the motherboard a mothercard all the time, but he knows the real name too. I believe he also called a stick of memory a graphics card at one point.
Also, one time he tried putting an old Hard Drive in his PC, and the whole thing got messed up and was displaying the dreaded NTLDR is missing error. Took us all day to figure the jumper and IDE configurations out. What a nightmare. I HATE anything to do with IDE cables, and the next time I get some money I'm buying another SATA to accompany my SATA system disk, to replace the old one which just has games and music on it.
Getting my brother's latest PC set up was quite an oddysey. I'll put the whole timeline here for your enjoyment:
Saturday after Thanksgiving-We order his mobo, graphics card, PSU, and CPU on Newegg.

Sunday after Thanksgiving-We buy his Antec 900 at CompUSA. I'll never buy from there again, now that we've started using Newegg.

The whole next week-I anxiously await the delivery.

Thursday-This is the day the package was supposed to be here, but because it snowed about two inches the train or whatever was stopped outside of Commerce City on Wednesday night. Sometime around 7 o'clock, it reaches Commerce City.

Friday-It's 5 o'clock. We accept that the package won't be delivered until Monday (or not). A few minutes later, there's a knock on the door. We excitedly bring the UPS box into my bedroom, and I'm glad to say there was NOT a hole in the side of it with a corner of the graphics card sticking out. We clear of the kitchen table totally, set all the boxes for the parts down, and bring his case out. The process of putting the PSU in begins, and is finished not long after. Thumbscrews are cool. After that, I de-static myself on the case before carefully un-boxing the motherboard and setting it on top of a thin sheet of carboard on top of the anti-static bag the whole thing came in. So far so good. After another de-static, the CPU is brought out and the lever is flipped out and up, and the insertion procedure begins, starting with the correct lining up of the pins. Once it's in, the lever goes back down and I bring out the mondo sized Heatsink/fan, complete with duct tape-looking stuff on the bottom. I remember this from when I put in my Venice. So that is clipped and seated on carefully, and my dad pushes down the black lever carefully, and it snaps into place. So far so good. Now, time for the memory to go in. !.75 gb of it. I know there's a problem when the notch on the stick doesn't match up with the notch on the mothercard. Uh oh, I should've seen it sooner. It's nearly 8:30. CompUSA closes at 9. It's time to get moving.
So we get there, and we proceed to get an explanation of Dual Channel and blah blah blah from a greasy haired dude at the counter. I yawn, as I know everything about what's he's saying. While my dad and brother listen intently, I begin to drool at the 8800GTS I can see behind a sheet of glass. In my dreams. So we end up dropping 200 on a gig of PNY DDR2 800, wondering what the he*ll happened to our oath that we'd never shop there again. Oh well, live and learn. It's almost nine as we pull out of the parking lot, the vomit in my throat rising in height as I remember seeing the same memory we bought on Newegg for 150. It was definitely worth it though.
We get home, and slap in the memory (not literally) and it gets screwed into the case, with a few happenings along the way, like trying to get the wrong screw in. Fortunately, nothing bad happens. After that, I fiddle with the strange clip on the PCI-E slot of this mobo while trying to get the 7600 GS in. It's not that hard actually, you just have to push the plastic clip to the side just a smidgen, and the graphics card pops in, the satisfying snap of the clip bringing a smile to my face. Oh yeah, it's done.

The rest of that night was the systematic install of windows XP, SP2, and all the drivers we need, as well as sitting through several windows updates, taling to my brother about how much this computer will own. Oh yeah, and Oblivion. Yay.

r-486 said:
4. Using university computers that are outdated make me mad. All the computers still use IE6 when IE7 has been out for about a half a year. I despise opening multiple web pages in new windows as opposed to tabs. Luckily, I run Firefox Portable from my USB flash drive.

IE7 has NOT been out for half a year, it's only been out for 2 months. Plus most IT managers don't go out and install the lastest and greatest software immediately after it's released because it takes time and money to check it for compatibility (there are quite a few websites that balk with IE7 still), security (it's a new piece of software, it's going to have security holes that need to be plugged), and training (everyone is going to have to learn everything about the mew software before they can support it.)

ryan_975 said:
IE7 has NOT been out for half a year, it's only been out for 2 months.
Yes, you're absolutely correct. Apparently I was referring about the beta versions that were released over the course of summer. I agree that beta versions shouldn't be installed in labs especially if it's MS.;)

I simply hated the fact of seeing dozens of windows in the taskbar.:mad:

What else irks me?

"0mfg u r 4 h4x0r g1v3 m3 my m0n3y u nub!" This is the common phrase of a "H4x3d".

people who put there dirty fingers or monitors/tv's to point out something

I just though of another one.

People who insist on calling PCI Express PCI-X. It's PCIe, PCI-X is something different altogether.

People that Phone me or post in my forum in TEARS because they've had a HD crash (I run a campus computer business) then demand I fix their problem.

No wait, that makes me feel good cuz I make some money,

What pisses me off is when they call at 1am, incurring major overtime charge, then refuse to pay when I can't fix their problem. Any other time of day, I'd say "fuck it, I can't help, so don't pay."

When you call me at 1am, you pay.

I abhor a person who has to put their dirty finger on my computer screen when pointing something out to me.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
I always put my feet on my folding rig...is that bad? :D
Yeah, I do that too :D

The C466 is in a small case, too, which is nice in the morning :D

Oh, and another thing I hate.

THIS STUPID FUCKING TS SYSTEM WE HAVE AT SCHOOL! Stupid thing constantly kicks me off for no reason.

Edit: Oh, and god forbid your printer should decide to go ghetto or something. You can't even send things by e-mail here. So damn retarded...

Not really a cmoputer abuse, but trying to activate Windows over the phone to some guy in India. Just let me activate damnit!

protias said:
Not really a cmoputer abuse, but trying to activate Windows over the phone to some guy in India. Just let me activate damnit!
You think that's bad? Dell tech support is like beating yourself over the head with a heavy object, except the beating is more fun. Linksys support isn't much better.

Zero82z said:
You think that's bad? Dell tech support is like beating yourself over the head with a heavy object, except the beating is more fun. Linksys support isn't much better.

I don't mind the MS support as much because I just tell the voice on the end to fuck off and get a real person fast.

Dell has been pissing me off. They told me to format a notebook because the optical drive was skipping and having read issues.

Linksys told one of my clients to swich a servers ip to dhcp and have the router act as the dhcp server. Really fucked up everything.

this takes the cake for crappy customer service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl=

this guy went to canada and asked about the prices to make calls from canada on his cell phone. he was quoted .002 cents, and they charged .002 dollars. they arent the same thing, and this guy goes around for 23 mins trying to teach them math. LOL. learn math noobs.

alkaline said:
this takes the cake for crappy customer service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl=

this guy went to canada and asked about the prices to make calls from canada on his cell phone. he was quoted .002 cents, and they charged .002 dollars. they arent the same thing, and this guy goes around for 23 mins trying to teach them math. LOL. learn math noobs.

gotta love the one guy who posted like 20 comments saying .002 cents is the same as $.002

he is so sure they are the same...

.002 x $0.01($0.00002) per kb easy!!

hahaha if you read the comments that one guy nar something is still going on about how .002 cents is the same as .002 dollars... he is calling people idiots and stuff... funny stuff... anyone know what blog that came from? i wanna know how it turned out

they ended up not making him pay the bill....not because they realized their error, but because they didnt want to deal with him anymore. LOL

one of their people in accounting realized the error and corrected their quote, now they quote $.002 instead of .002 cents. You know, these people have college degrees and they cant figure this stuff out. Im a senior in HS and i realized their error.

Customer came in to get a controller for flight simulator X

Customer: I am looking for a controller for flight simulator X.

Me: Showed him some controllers. Asked, what type of connectors you have on PC? USB or Game port?

Customer: I dunno.

Me: How fast is your computer?

Customer: Well, it is pretty fast, I bought it about 10 years ago.

Me: Even some of the current computers wont play FSX without upgrading the video card.

He still took the controller and walk away.

Haha

atherton213 said:
hahaha if you read the comments that one guy nar something is still going on about how .002 cents is the same as .002 dollars... he is calling people idiots and stuff... funny stuff... anyone know what blog that came from? i wanna know how it turned out
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com

i hate people who sit on machines in the school computer labs (which are full at the end of the semester) and just goof off with IM/whatever while other people that need to do actual work have to stand and wait in line!!!

Yargh.

Slava said:
Customer came in to get a controller for flight simulator X

Customer: I am looking for a controller for flight simulator X.

Me: Showed him some controllers. Asked, what type of connectors you have on PC? USB or Game port?

Customer: I dunno.

Me: How fast is your computer?

Customer: Well, it is pretty fast, I bought it about 10 years ago.

Me: Even some of the current computers wont play FSX without upgrading the video card.

He still took the controller and walk away.

Haha

your customer reminds me of a kid at school who was CONVINCED that his 5-yr-old pc, which has a broken fan, a dead hd (he had 2), and an optical drive that jammed every time you put in a disk, was faster than ANY current computer and didn't need upgrading or fixing of any kind. the functioning hardware was: really old athlon 64 or xp (cant remember which; wasn't anything above 1.8ghz), 2gb ddr266, an nvidia geforce fx 5950, and an improperly set-up dfi board. i put 3dmark03 on a flash drive and took it over to his house to see what this maimed "beast" could do. at 1024x760, no aa, and medium-high settings, it barely managed 5000 marks. mine gets 6500. he concluded that the program was biased. boy is it going to be fun when he gets crysis later next year!!! HAH!!! i can see it now:

him: get your ass down here!!!
me: what?
him: crysis wont run on my pc.
me: you mean the shitbox i told you to upgrade?
him: it doesn't need an upgrade. crysis is slow as hell. i need you to fix it.
me: there's nothing to fix. that computer is six years old and busted as hell!!! get a new pc dipshit!!!

sigh. a day in my life here where no one knows shit about pcs. another kid here thinks halo 2 on xbox live is the end all, be all of online gaming. SURE. so all that buzz around unreal tournament, counterstrike, and quake must be for nothing. geek fathers, SEND YOUR KIDS HERE NOW!!!!! WE NEED MORE GEEKS!!!!!!!!!

Back