Clair Obscur: Expedition 33

The game is quite interesting. I am enjoying it even though outside of pokemon and Sonny, the flash based zombie browser game, I historically have never enjoyed turn based games.

I will say that I find it a little bit off that everyone is 10/10 beautiful, it makes it feel a little bit like a teenager's wet dream. At least it doesn't give me a migraine while playing, like the Oblivion remaster does.
 
you don't seem to understand what I wrote...I understand that the lighting made his hair look a different color...that's not what I was referring to...I said "hopefully" there were some red or green haired developers that worked on the game
too bad, there are none.
 
Seems like gamers and critics alike enjoy it. You're probably the odd one out.
Seems more like you can’t read.

Where did I say I don’t like the game? I haven’t played it. You can’t pass judgement on a game you haven’t played… oh, wait.
 
Seems more like you can’t read.

Where did I say I don’t like the game? I haven’t played it. You can’t pass judgement on a game you haven’t played… oh, wait.
according to you, you shouldnt even be in here then...

Dude, give it a rest… who gives a fuck about hair colour.
you do.

go troll somewhere else.
 
I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to play this or the Oblivion remake next, so I figured I’d buy both and give each a try. My initial feelings about this one aren’t great, I’ve only been in game for maybe 30 min so this is an incredibly early take but first thought wow, this looks super smeared, like the Vaseline effect we often mention, also washed out. I thought, no big deal I can probably tweak things to improve that, then I started moving, ew. The movement reminded me of that first mortal kombat game that open “elements”, the name escapes me, but simply not good at all.

Then combat, yeah, so far not into it. The parry and dodge stuff is kind of throwing me, and as far as I can tell that matters a great deal. I’ve enjoyed various turned based games before but I think they’ve all pretty much been Nintendo titles. Maybe I could get into this more on a mobile platform. Still, the music and VA is top notch, story is likely there as well. I really like projects like this however, may honestly keep it just to fund games made by gamers. I really get the vibe that this was a passion project and am happy to support that.

But then, I queued up Oblivion, played it for about thirty and said yeah, I could see myself spending some time here.
 
The game has sharpening too high by default, and I don't think the ini tweaks on nexus fixes it (even if they claim to). You can install this mod, its a simple copy paste, and lower the sharpening to somewhere around 0.2 to 0.5
 
I wouldn't be surprised if sales are in the ballpark of 2+ million at this point

Steam alone appears to be closing in on a million at this point.

Also holy shit I clutched the shit out of a boss fight last night. I accidentally went into it with no healing items.

Fucker had my party down to like 20 health when I had him around half. Somehow I pulled the greatest string of parries ever witnessed out of my ass over the last half of the fight and somehow scraped myself out of certain doom with heal skills alone.

Was intense, I was about to just let him game over me so I could try again but figured I'd go for broke and just try to parry everything and it kept working.

I love every time you see EXPEDITION 33 PERFORMS A COUNTER and you see everyone backflip into curb stomping a fool
 
Last edited:
Glad to report that the game is still good through act 2 so far. I'm playing on normal and I've have to restart a boss a couple times but I think they've nailed the perfect balance of difficulty. Square has been thoroughly outclassed here. The last time I got into a jRPG this much was way back in 08 with Lost Odyssey. Maybe I'm weird?
 
Glad to report that the game is still good through act 2 so far. I'm playing on normal and I've have to restart a boss a couple times but I think they've nailed the perfect balance of difficulty. Square has been thoroughly outclassed here. The last time I got into a jRPG this much was way back in 08 with Lost Odyssey. Maybe I'm weird?
Dude! Lost Odyssey was what I immediately compared 33 to.
 
Glad to report that the game is still good through act 2 so far. I'm playing on normal and I've have to restart a boss a couple times but I think they've nailed the perfect balance of difficulty. Square has been thoroughly outclassed here. The last time I got into a jRPG this much was way back in 08 with Lost Odyssey. Maybe I'm weird?

Dude! Lost Odyssey was what I immediately compared 33 to.
I mentioned this looking like Lost Odyssey earlier in the thread. It seems like the 360 had a lot of hidden gems like that. Anybody play Eternal Sonata? Blue Dragon?
 
auto-death.png


Found my new favorite Pictos!
 
Does this game get any better? I'm about 4 hours in, just reached the forest with the red leaves looking for a village, I'm not really into the game at this point.
 
Does this game get any better? I'm about 4 hours in, just reached the forest with the red leaves looking for a village, I'm not really into the game at this point.

If you're not into it after 4 hours I would suggest moving on. Seems like this game is not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Not everybody likes the same things.
 
Does this game get any better? I'm about 4 hours in, just reached the forest with the red leaves looking for a village, I'm not really into the game at this point.
If you're not into it after 4 hours I would suggest moving on. Seems like this game is not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Not everybody likes the same things.
Agreed, there's a small chance it'll grab you towards the end of chapter 1 but odds are it's just not your bag.
 
I started it today and just got to the village. So far I am liking it. So far the only difficult part was the special boss I found off the main trail. Once I got the timing down it was cake.
 
Don't know how I pulled a 9999 out of my ass but thing got fuckin bopped

I THINK I accidentally got a couple 50% damage increases stacked at the same from Pictos, a 25% from Gustauve buffing, and maybe I crit on top of that or something? Not sure.

1746340112243.png



bonus
1746340133856.png
 
Sigh, I've never gotten crashes before yesterday and all of a sudden I keep crashing now with some kind of UE message that pops up. Hoping there's a patch soon or maybe I need to reinstall.
 
played for about 6 hrs yesterday, no issues other than it randomly changing screens on me...

that underwater area at the start is pretty cool lookin, and im finally starting to get the dodge/parry timing, but its still really tight.
 
I do love the customization in this game. I got Maelle built like a tank and she has that ability that lets her take damage in place of the party. The pictos really lets you build out the stats the way you want.
 
Sigh, I've never gotten crashes before yesterday and all of a sudden I keep crashing now with some kind of UE message that pops up. Hoping there's a patch soon or maybe I need to reinstall.
I got one lock up at a camp scene so far. After I came back from the journal writing scene it wouldn't let me pick any other option on the fire pit. I had to force out and restart.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cvinh
like this
I do love the customization in this game. I got Maelle built like a tank and she has that ability that lets her take damage in place of the party. The pictos really lets you build out the stats the way you want.

I've been kind of putting off really diving into it since whatever I have has been working, but I'm starting to see a bunch of options open up it seems. My dumbass didn't even realize they boost stats for a while, I finally noticed when one gave someone like 350 hp more and suddenly they were at like 1k health.

I usually start fights with his damage buff for the rest of my party and then I build overcharge unless he has something better to do. Lune usually lights everything on fire and it all starts burning, and Sciel just hits like a truck full of bears with an electrical current running through it. She does soooo much damage.

My party seems to be in pretty decent shape. Unless I'm like violently outclassed or screw up a seriously unfortunate number of dodges or parries, I'm tearing through most stuff. Every so often I stumble into some mini boss or something off the beaten path that stomps my bitch ass hard.

I thought I was off to a good start on one the other night until I finally missed a dodge and it smacked me for like 1500 in one hit. It might have been technically beatable if I only missed one or two over the entire fight, but it's pretty hard to time perfectly when they attack multiple times per turn.

edit: Also it's kind of funny that little 5 foot tall ass Maelle can become the group tank.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cvinh
like this
Also how much of a difference does the defense stat seem to make?

Generally I've just been beefing up health instead
 
Also how much of a difference does the defense stat seem to make?

Generally I've just been beefing up health instead

I think it's a good stat to invest a bit in. My beefed up Maelle takes like 40 dmg per hit and my other part members take like 200-300.
 
Some of the monsters you can stumble on are on another level

Usually whenever I start feeling good about my party I promptly run into something off the beaten path that absolutely dumpsters me.

But I just found something where I basically budged its health bar by... literal pixels before I finally missed a dodge and got flattened instantly. Think I'm leaving this one alone for now
 
What is the side content like in this game? Lots of story side quests, or is it more collecting stuff and extra battles?
 
What is the side content like in this game? Lots of story side quests, or is it more collecting stuff and extra battles?

There's some story bits and journals scattered around, but it's more on the latter end.

It is worth exploring around in my opinion. There's lots of items and stuff, and I've stumbled my way into a couple entire dungeons that seem to be straight up optional.

And of course, there's the occasionally getting your balls absolutely stomped by an enemy wearing soccer cleats. They're usually a pretty fun challenge. If it's too much, there's no harm in just coming back in a bit.

I have yet to feel like the game doesn't respect my time
 
Game is not ad hard as people seem to make it out to be. Granted I am still in the first act. Game is a little buggy for me. I had another freeze and I got stuck in the terrain on the world map. Reloading just put me right back in the same spot. I was about to lose my shit but I managed to break free eventually.
 
Got jumpscared by my own party member...

Fell into a nook alongside a broken house after missing a jump and I turned around to find her just staring at me through the window

I think it got lost in the forum downsizing the picture, but her eyes were glowing from some light glinting off them

1746421010568.png
1746421273860.png
 
Back
Top