Clair Obscur: Expedition 33

About to give it a go. This is one of my most anticipated games for 2025 so hopefully it won't be a let down like almost every other game that has come out in the last year.
 
God this looks janky!
looks?! hows so? what are you running into?





its up on gamepass now

1745509887889.png
 
It looks pretty but the combat camera movement is giving me whiplash. Someone tell me there's an option to limit that in game lol.
 
Decided to play this instead if Wokeblivion. I've played 90 minutes so far and the key takeaways are:

  • It's really good looking after you disable nonsense like DLSS, motion blur, and other junk.
  • Whaaat? Women who actually look attractive in a game in the current day and age? Damn it, even if the game disappoints otherwise I don't regret supporting the devs for this alone.
  • Excellent soundtrack
  • The running and walking animations are worse than Mass Effect 3
  • Turn based combat with QTE elements. As in you can increase your damage or parry / dodge enemy attacks while they happen, seems a bit dull, maybe it gets better with more complex encounters like Midnight Suns.
  • You walk between encounters in a corridor, hope it becomes more open later
  • Can't pause or skip cutscenes
  • Overcomplicated inventory screen
 
Decided to play this instead if Wokeblivion. I've played 90 minutes so far and the key takeaways are:

  • It's really good looking after you disable nonsense like DLSS, motion blur, and other junk.
  • Whaaat? Women who actually look attractive in a game in the current day and age? Damn it, even if the game disappoints otherwise I don't regret supporting the devs for this alone.
  • Excellent soundtrack
  • The running and walking animations are worse than Mass Effect 3
  • Turn based combat with QTE elements. As in you can increase your damage or parry / dodge enemy attacks while they happen, seems a bit dull, maybe it gets better with more complex encounters like Midnight Suns.
  • You walk between encounters in a corridor, hope it becomes more open later
  • Can't pause or skip cutscenes
  • Overcomplicated inventory screen
Ever play Lost Odyssey? The combat in videos reminded me of that game. It was an Xbox console exclusive on 360, but it's backward compatible with current gen. I want to play this this weekend.
 
Decided to play this instead if Wokeblivion. I've played 90 minutes so far and the key takeaways are:

  • It's really good looking after you disable nonsense like DLSS, motion blur, and other junk.
  • Whaaat? Women who actually look attractive in a game in the current day and age? Damn it, even if the game disappoints otherwise I don't regret supporting the devs for this alone.
  • Excellent soundtrack
  • The running and walking animations are worse than Mass Effect 3
  • Turn based combat with QTE elements. As in you can increase your damage or parry / dodge enemy attacks while they happen, seems a bit dull, maybe it gets better with more complex encounters like Midnight Suns.
  • You walk between encounters in a corridor, hope it becomes more open later
  • Can't pause or skip cutscenes
  • Overcomplicated inventory screen
yup
yup
i guess
looks like the jrpg is fashioned after
i hope you like hitting "A", a lot! you can set your party attack qte to auto, so i did...
an then another tunnel and another, but again like what its based on.
press "A" and then "B" to skip
seems ok, better then 'blivion. this was holding my attention better too...

imo, it feel like its a "western" take on the "tails of" games, in a lot fancier clothes. one thing "buggin" me but its better than the alt, everything is obviously french, so why's everyone got a british accent?!
 
Ever play Lost Odyssey? The combat in videos reminded me of that game. It was an Xbox console exclusive on 360, but it's backward compatible with current gen. I want to play this this weekend.
Nope, never played that one. I guess it is similar to south park stick of truth, but I only played that one for five minutes.

Here are some screenshots, after deblurring the graphics:

SandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_16_27_44_168.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_16_39_46_409.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_16_58_21_807.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_16_59_10_049.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_17_29_50_800.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_22_32_20_173.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_22_32_41_028.jpgSandFall-Win64-Shipping_2025_04_24_22_33_18_587.jpg
 
Is that an accessibility option?

I have no A and B, I play with KB+Mouse, unless you mean the A and B keys and not the buttons on an xbox controller.
under gameplay i think. access>battle>auto qte
1745527927289.png


youll have to compare key/button bindings. if a gamepad has it, mkb should too.
 
youll have to compare key/button bindings. if a gamepad has it, mkb should too.
There is no binding for it in the menu, so unless it is hard coded to some key, IDK. I've tried spamming keys but couldn't even pause cutscenes.
 
yup
yup
i guess
looks like the jrpg is fashioned after
i hope you like hitting "A", a lot! you can set your party attack qte to auto, so i did...
an then another tunnel and another, but again like what its based on.
press "A" and then "B" to skip
seems ok, better then 'blivion. this was holding my attention better too...

imo, it feel like its a "western" take on the "tails of" games, in a lot fancier clothes. one thing "buggin" me but its better than the alt, everything is obviously french, so why's everyone got a british accent?!
You mean Trails of or Tales of games
 
Turn based combat with QTE elements. As in you can increase your damage or parry / dodge enemy attacks while they happen, seems a bit dull, maybe it gets better with more complex encounters like Midnight Suns.

I'm not sure I see the point in this. Suppose I'd need to play it, but seems like the worst of both. Why have a turn based system if it still comes down to quick reaction or button mashing?
 
I'm not sure I see the point in this. Suppose I'd need to play it, but seems like the worst of both. Why have a turn based system if it still comes down to quick reaction or button mashing?
I think it's like Paper Mario if you ever played that. You can get parries/damage bonuses by hitting a button at the right time, but you don't technically *have* to do that to play the game.
 
I don't think I'll pick this up it's a game that controls you vs: a game that you control.
 
I think it's like Paper Mario if you ever played that. You can get parries/damage bonuses by hitting a button at the right time, but you don't technically *have* to do that to play the game.
and rpg, totally forgot about those but yeah the qte stuff is like those.
as i mentioned, you can turn the auto qte on for your partys attacks, helps quite a bit. i tell ya though, as mentioned in that last vid, the timing is very very tight. if its a triple attack, ill maybe catch one of the three dodge/parry points.
 
Last edited:
It's kinda freaky that it's matching AC Shadows all time concurrent.

1745588819421.png


1745588840721.png


I imagine it'll break that record this weekend. Clair is also a day 1 Game Pass too and I doubt its budget is as high as Ass Creed.
 
I'm not sure I see the point in this. Suppose I'd need to play it, but seems like the worst of both. Why have a turn based system if it still comes down to quick reaction or button mashing?
I don't see the point either. Mixing it this way will not appeal to purists of either genre.
 
I would've waited until the next week or so to celebrate a million+ copies, but ok. :cool:
 
its a big number for a small studio, so they are pretty stoked.

note the lack of colored hair ;)
Yeah, I get that to an extent. But if it's selling that fast, It'll clearly hit a million within a week. But That's just my view on it.
Lol! Yeah you're right. Amazing in this day and age.
 
I'm actually loving this, probably my favorite game of 2025 so far. I think the "QTEs" add a lot to the tactile feel of the combat without complicating things or trying to create some crap pseudo real time/turn-based hybrid like most games of this type that have come out in the last 15 years. I considered myself to be a purest when it comes to classic JRPGs and this game hits the mark in a way that I haven't felt since FFIX. The only problem I have with it after about 8 hours is the inventory menus feel really sloppy and somehow unintuitive even though they look nice.
 
I don't think colored hair is really an indicator of much anymore. I've seen lots of senior citizens rocking the colored hair.
yeah, it is, so much so that my little sister stopped dying her hair because she didnt want to get lumped in with them, and granny blue/purple been around long before these weirdos. but thats another thread topic...
 
Back
Top