Clair Obscur: Expedition 33

It's literally not a JRPG.
Yea I will say that I wish there were fewer Dark Souls elements in this game. Everything from Bonfires to Estus Flasks, weapon types, weapon upgrades, stats and scaling... it seems very DS derivative.

I find myself wishing that the damage wasn't so spikey like it is in Dark Souls games, and that there was more health, mana, and resource management in this game as there is in prior turn-based games of this nature.

That being said, I'm still on act 1 so maybe these elements become more pronounced.
 
Yea I will say that I wish there were fewer Dark Souls elements in this game. Everything from Bonfires to Estus Flasks, weapon types, weapon upgrades, stats and scaling... it seems very DS derivative.

I find myself wishing that the damage wasn't so spikey like it is in Dark Souls games, and that there was more health, mana, and resource management in this game as there is in prior turn-based games of this nature.

That being said, I'm still on act 1 so maybe these elements become more pronounced.

You get less squishy and have more counterplay to taking damage

The game has zero qualms about letting you fight shit that will absolutely dumpster you, though

If you explore in the slightest, you can and will stumble into enemies that are absurdly stronger. Like flatten your party in a single hit because you missed the 8th attack they got in one turn.
 
idont like souls like, and im not finding this to be souls like....
ps: its an FRPG, inspired by JRPGs ;)
There are definitely elements that it borrows from the soulslike genre but ir don'tfeel like one at all. They've just replaced the "random battle" mechanic with "respawning monster when you rest" mechanic which I kind of like as it gives me more control over when, where and what I fight.
 
There are definitely elements that it borrows from the soulslike genre but ir don'tfeel like one at all. They've just replaced the "random battle" mechanic with "respawning monster when you rest" mechanic which I kind of like as it gives me more control over when, where and what I fight.
that was in jrpg long before souls though...
it is handy for leveling up a bit when needed.
 
Why are people jizzing so hard on this game. I need to try it out this weekend.
if you like jrpg style games with extra button presses for increased attack/dodge/parry/jump, like in mario rpg, and dont hate the french, then its good.
 
Dafuq’s this game lolwtf. His gf looks same as his sister. Damn.

What am I missing here. Also dialog is cringe to the max. I can’t understand shit. Plus no HDR.

Will keep playing for a bit but it seems like Yakuza type nonsensical games which I cant get into.
 
It's literally not a JRPG.
If JRPG is a genre of gameplay, it's a JRPG.

If JRPG means 'an RPG from Japan' than its not.

But that's like saying "it's literally not Texas Hold'em" because a game of poker wasn't played in Texas.

"that's not Prussian Blue because it's not from Prussia"

"That's not a Persian cat because it's never been to Persia"

"this isn't Chinese food because it wasn't prepared in China"

"those aren't Venetian blinds because they weren't made in Venice"

"these aren't Lebanese cucumbers because they weren't grown in Lebanon"

"that's not a Burmese python because its not from Myanmar"


Things can be named for a country of origin without being LITERALLY from the country.
 
Why are people jizzing so hard on this game. I need to try it out this weekend.
Don't know that I have ever seen a game universally praised for the story and so many tweets/posts about how certain parts of the story really got to them. I can't wait to start it but trying to finish WH 40k Rogue Trader which is long already but feels really long when you have a game to play waiting.
 
If JRPG is a genre of gameplay, it's a JRPG.

If JRPG means 'an RPG from Japan' than its not.

But that's like saying "it's literally not Texas Hold'em" because a game of poker wasn't played in Texas.

"that's not Prussian Blue because it's not from Prussia"

"That's not a Persian cat because it's never been to Persia"

"this isn't Chinese food because it wasn't prepared in China"

"those aren't Venetian blinds because they weren't made in Venice"

"these aren't Lebanese cucumbers because they weren't grown in Lebanon"

"that's not a Burmese python because its not from Myanmar"


Things can be named for a country of origin without being LITERALLY from the country.

I think it is safe to call it a JRPG styled game. Clearly borrows from JRPGs but has a distinct non-Japanese art design and setting/world. Half of what makes a JRPG a JRPG is not just gameplay, but narrative, character, and setting design. So I wouldn't call it a JRPG, but clearly it borrows heavily from that sub genre.
 
Dafuq’s this game lolwtf. His gf looks same as his sister. Damn.

What am I missing here. Also dialog is cringe to the max. I can’t understand shit. Plus no HDR.

Will keep playing for a bit but it seems like Yakuza type nonsensical games which I cant get into.

I have no idea what game you're playing but I'm pretty sure it's not this one

I think I'm getting to the end of act 2.

My party is feeling pretty good. Pictos are opening up a lot and I'm getting some good synergy. About to hit level 50.
 
I have no idea what game you're playing but I'm pretty sure it's not this one

I think I'm getting to the end of act 2.

My party is feeling pretty good. Pictos are opening up a lot and I'm getting some good synergy. About to hit level 50.
It’s a turn based qte infested crap, how is anyone liking this in 2025.
 
Hands down this is GOTY 2025.
1747501462883.png
 

The video the article references

Other interesting stuff:

Clair Obscur: Expedition 33's WILD 6 Year Development Cycle - shows some super early alpha footage from 2019 that looks nothing like the current game along with general talk of development.

Metahuman to Zbrush without breaking the rig: Sandfall Tuts - Guillaume Broche shows tutorial on character creation in Unreal Engine circa 2021.

[Game] Ambitious AA Game project looking for 3 Female and 2 Male voices - The original Reddit post by Guillaume Broche recruiting voice actors. Jennifer Svedberg-Yen, who was going to do voicework ended up becoming the lead storywriter
 
Apparently you can party wipe and still win the fight if you kill it with the picto that makes you explode when you die
 
About to cross the 30h mark.

My party is absolutely mulching most things... we're like level 55.

No idea how far in the main story I am. It feels like I'm in the endgame but I'm pretty sure I got a good chunk of game left. I know there's gotta be a twist or something incoming.
 
About to cross the 30h mark.

My party is absolutely mulching most things... we're like level 55.

No idea how far in the main story I am. It feels like I'm in the endgame but I'm pretty sure I got a good chunk of game left. I know there's gotta be a twist or something incoming.
i thought i saw that it was about 40...
 
Just ran through an area that is full of shit that does like 2k damage/hit and picked up all the comparatively very strong pictos and shit lying around.

Managed to run like a bitch through the entire dungeon up to the boss at the end.

Said pictos are so much better than what I had, all my characters basically went up like 1300~ life and hundreds of defense on average without gaining a single level.

Should make
The Paintress a bit easier.

She's pretty rough. I thought I was relatively beefcaked but it's easy to spiral in the fight and you can't quite get control back because every turn she gets keeps so much pressure on you.
 
Also, I was NOT expecting

We're all actually living one layer down from reality in a painted/created world???

Also the boss fight was killer.
1747633841510.png


1747633995273.png


1747633925657.png

Act 2 was fantastic - just keeps getting better.
 
Last edited:
Not sure I have it in me to do all the side content at this point because it just finished dropping massive chunks of story and I really want to see where it goes

Such is my plight
 
Not sure I have it in me to do all the side content at this point because it just finished dropping massive chunks of story and I really want to see where it goes

Such is my plight

This is why I'm doing NG+. I actually wanted to continue the main story but accidentally finished the game and missed a bunch of side stuff.
 
This is why I'm doing NG+. I actually wanted to continue the main story but accidentally finished the game and missed a bunch of side stuff.
Just FYI the achievements tied to collecting all journals or all music records, they have to be completed in one playthrough. Start NG+ resets your progress on those.

Also you can pick up

the baguette, it's a weapon in prologue you can trade your tokens in for
 
  • Like
Reactions: cvinh
like this
Back
Top