ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

The "always" box will not appear until you run the 3d wizard setup.

I did not use any registry tweak for my setup. What i did:
checked enable stereoscopic 3d box-> ran Wizard-> ran test stereoscopic 3d in N control panel-> set refresh rate to 120hz & select Apply refresh rate to all games box-> exit test app-> uncheck Enable stereoscopic 3d box-> apply

Did this work for you without an emitter? I have no emitter. I used the registry file that Mark posted and that allowed me to check enable 3D. But the 3d setup wizard does not let me progress unless an emitter is plugged in. My test application box also doesn't have as many options as yours.

Did this work for you without an emitter? I have no emitter. I used the registry file that Mark posted and that allowed me to check enable 3D. But the 3d setup wizard does not let me progress unless an emitter is plugged in. My test application box also doesn't have as many options as yours.

Ah i see. My monitors have build-in emitters. Not sure about the registry edit.

Am I the first trying to do this without an actual emitter? I thought I saw someone that did it without. Bah humbug! Must make this blur go away!

Am I the first trying to do this without an actual emitter? I thought I saw someone that did it without. Bah humbug! Must make this blur go away!
No. TuGuX from TechNGaming successfully did.
Did you try TuGuX's instructions to trick your Benq into pretending to be an Asus VG278H? It's in the previous page of this thread.
This is an additional BENQ-specific step, in addition to my registry file.

This tricks a Benq into thinking it's an Asus VG278 using an EDID override, to unlock the appropriate Control Panel option.
TuGuX said:
@[member='bojinglebells']
First, you install this .inf via device manager: http://www.file-upload.net/download-6944730/Asus-VG278H-3D-Monitor-EDID-override.inf.html
Then you reboot.

After this, you enable this: http://www.file-upload.net/download-6944739/ForceLightBoostWithoutGlasses.reg.html (note: Mark Rejhon's file)

Make sure windows is set to 120Hz
Goto NVIDIA drivers, check the box to 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D'.
Assuming it has worked, it should now list the 'ASUS VG278H' monitor as the Stereoscopic 3D display type, and not '3D Vision Discover' which is there by default.
In this same section, set the drop down box for stereoscopic 3D to 'Always Run'.

Now start a game, I tested it with CS:GO .. I had 60 FPS and real 3D on (which is not good) AND check your monitor settings (when you go in menu -> picture, there should be something like "Nvidia LightBoost", then it's working)

Next step, just uncheck 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D'. Now you should have more than 120 FPS with LightBoost (depending on your hardware), so everything is nice and working right now.

To turn it off, I guess you have to change the Always Run stuff, or completely deinstall monitor and install normal BenQ Drivers

Yes, got it working. Testing it out now with chrome smooth scroll, but the scrolling is jittery and stuttering up and down. Not sure why it is doing that. Confirmed monitor is in Lightboost mode (it states it in the menu), all options besides contrast are grayed out.

Yes, got it working. Testing it out now with chrome smooth scroll, but the scrolling is jittery and stuttering up and down. Not sure why it is doing that.
I heard of one person who said the scrolling was buggy (20-30fps), but it works fine at 120fps on my system. It seems to be the fault of the Chrome software somewhere. (Try chrome://gpu and see if anything is disabled. If so, try chrome://flags and tweak Chrome the non-accelerated setting) Or maybe the mouse? I hope you're already using a gaming mouse (high Hz). I've got my mouse set to 1000Hz, to eliminate it from being the limiting factor.

Use the Lagom Contrast test and raise your contrast as high as you can without blowing out your brights/blacks. I'd like to know what the setting is for Benq? On Asus, it's around 92.

Meanwhile, far more imporant things to test out than Google Chrome. :)

Last edited:
It may appear smoother but is it actually maintaining resolution detail during motion like a CRT?

The Readability test in this program will tell you: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/pixperan.html

With a CRT the scrolling text is still easily legible even with the Tempo set at 30 (Max setting) an LCD loses motion detail usually around 7 - 9 Tempo at which point the text becomes too blurry.

If that's still the case here then there's still a long way to go before claiming "Better than CRT motion" ;)

Last edited:
Yes, yes, yes! Perfectly clear motion detail like CRT. Maybe not better, but roughly equal.
Amazingly, I see details better than on even a Panasonic VT50 plasma (the one with 2500Hz FFD).
Yes, less motion blur than plasma.
It may appear smoother but is it actually maintaining resolution detail during motion like a CRT?

The Readability test in this program will tell you: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/pixperan.html

With a CRT you can easily read the scrolling text even with the Tempo set on 30, an LCD loses motion detail usually around 7 - 9 Tempo at which point it becomes to blurry.
We can do 30 under PixPerPan on LCD now :) See below from two pages ago:

Swolern said:
Pixel Persistence Analyzer (PixPerAn) Readability Test Results 120hz: Wow just wow! Speechless.........

-Highest readable tempo without Lightboost (LB) was 7 and even that was blurry and my eyes where straining to read it.
-Highest readable tempo with Lightboost was 30 (Only could read the first 5 letters)

yes this LB hack makes my VG278H monitors have Zero perceivable motion blur.
He can't read past 5 letters because the text was moving too fast for him, but the fact he went all the way to 30 is totally amazing for LCD.

I have to find those directions to launch a game without it going into 3D mode. All the games keep doing that so are unplayable.

It must be annoying that PixPerAn is crashing.
I have to find those directions to launch a game without it going into 3D mode. All the games keep doing that so are unplayable.

1. Try turning off LightBoost, keep the nVidia Control Panel open, launch game, then Alt+Tab to nVidia Control Panel, turn on LightBoost, Alt+Tab back to game.

OR

2. Try transsive's instructions in this post to make games launch with LightBoost enabled but without going into 3D.

....Yes, it needs to be made more user friendly. Hopefully one of us can program a LightBoost helper utility to make everything one-click.

Pixperan keeps crashing on my Win 7 64.

Maybe Pixperan keeps crashing because it is trying to go into 3d mode. Do you have the Enable stereoscopic 3D unchecked? Or is the registry edit causing it to stay in 3d?

It must be annoying that PixPerAn is crashing.
2. Try transsive's instructions in this post to make games launch with LightBoost enabled but without going into 3D.

....Yes, it needs to be made more user friendly. Hopefully one of us can program a LightBoost helper utility to make everything one-click.

It is pretty easy if you have emitters. Going around that in registry can cause problems i believe.

I thought the only way to get Lightstrobe working 100% of the time was to keep "enable stereoscipic 3D" checked and set to "always"?

Let me try to invite TuGuX to this forum, he might have some insights. (BTW, I sent you a PM about PixPerAn)

I thought the only way to get Lightstrobe working 100% of the time was to keep "enable stereoscipic 3D" checked and set to "always"?

No in my case i have to have "enable stereoscipic 3D" unchecked. If it is checked it will try to go into 3d mode when an application is launched. The "always" option seems to get the Lightboost to stay on even in 2d mode and when 3d is unchecked.

So far this is what I've come across in testing the Benq XL2411T trying to get Lightboost to work in games:

You must have the Asus "H" monitor .inf installed. This is the only way to trick the NVIDIA control panel into thinking you have an emitter. Applying the Benq .inf will tell you you don't have a USB emitter installed and it will never Lightboost.

Getting Lightboost to work in 2D mode/windows is easy. The problem is that smooth scrolling in Chrome, or anything else you would use on the desktop stutters. The increased motion clarity is indeed there, but the stuttering completely spoils it. The stuttering is like the text "bounces" up and down very rapidly and is very distracting. I am not sure if it is because of the FPS not exactly matching the monitor or what.

Lightboost on the Benq completely disables all monitor controls besides contrast. The good part is that the Benq stays pretty darn bright in Lightboost mode! I actually have to turn down the contrast some.

The bad news is that the colors go to hell and there is a maroon tint to the whole screen with Lightboost enabled.

Unable to get in a game in 2D mode whilst simultaneously having Lightboost enabled. With 3D enabled in NVIDIA control panel (NVCP), both Skyrim and BF3 start by default in 3D and there is no way to turn it off. If you start the game(s) in 2D, then change to enabled 3D in control panel and tab back into game, two different things happen. Skyrim just goes to a black window and crashes. BF3 alt-tabs back in, but when the screen transition occurs, the 2D windows Lightstrobe background turns off by itself and the game goes back to non-Lightstrobe 2D.

Thoughts?

EDIT: the smooth scroll stutter is still there without 3D and Lightboost enabled, so they are separate problems. Not sure why this stuttering is occurring.

Last edited:
Interesting. So getting the actual 3D disabled is a pain in the ass it seems? Stuttering could be due to any number of causes. If perhaps you haven't done an OS reinstall in sometime perhaps its time to wipe for a fresh install just to clear out any outside influences from your testing and results.

I'll post my observations as soon as I receive the monitor to test.

Doing some more testing, since I am a 3D noob, I found that there is a shortcut (Control-T) that disables 3D effects. So it is of no consequence that your game launches in 3D mode, just press Control-T. Voila, Lightboost enabled and no silly 3D effects.

Just got done playing a game of BF3. Definite motion clarity improvement, but maybe not quite all the way to a FW900. I'd say maybe 70-80% the way there based completely subjectively.

I also found that in addition to contrast, the Lightboost feature has a slider to make change to it's brightness. Not sure how it does this. (Possible different lengths of pulsing once per pixel?) If that were the case, dimming it down would make for less motion blur.

Some things I still have to test and work on:

This stuttering problem in Chrome (unrelated to Lightboost).
This color tint when in Lightboost.
Getting 144 Hz to work with Lightboost (works by default in 2D mode at 144 Hz even though Benq markets it as a 120 Hz monitor which I find completely inane).

All other features of the Benq like "Black eQualizer" do not work in Lightboost mode.

The largest benefits I see of this Benq is it's 1ms response time, even without Lightboost is the fastest LCD I have seen. It is also quite bright even with Lightboost enabled. 24" is about the limit for me on pixel size for 1080P which is also a plus for some people.

Doing some more testing, since I am a 3D noob, I found that there is a shortcut (Control-T) that disables 3D effects.
Yes, that's a very useful key press combination. It does not always work, so please let me know how reliable Control+T is for all your games!
Just got done playing a game of BF3. Definite motion clarity improvement, but maybe not quite all the way to a FW900. I'd say maybe 70-80% the way there based completely subjectively.
Indeed, that's similiar to the 85% I've measured using my motion test software. It's only a small leap (double the wattage in LED, half the strobe length maybe). I knew a CRT guy with years of FW900 would probably be more discerning. Motion blur is imperceptible for most kinds of motion though, you only begin to slightly notice the shortcoming at the fastest motion. Night and day, isn't it?

I also found that in addition to contrast, the Lightboost feature has a slider to make change to it's brightness. Not sure how it does this. (Possible different lengths of pulsing once per pixel?) If that were the case, dimming it down would make for less motion blur.
Yes, that is possible. Please do some tests with that. Try halving the brightness, that might halve the motion blur - bring it 90% of the way. I seem to have difficulty adjusting strobe lengths with the Asus based on my testing, but I'm away from my monitor at the moment until this weekend (work), so I'll do some tests this weekend. The Benq might be more adjustment-friendly.

BTW, I say "once per pixel per refresh". This is a catch-all for both CRT pixel-at-a-time strobing (analog scanning) via versus LightBoost screen-at-a-time strobing (full screen flash). Both are covered by the "once per pixel per refresh" required for the CRT effect.

The largest benefits I see of this Benq is it's 1ms response time, even without Lightboost is the fastest LCD I have seen. It is also quite bright even with Lightboost enabled.
That is good news to hear! My Asus is a lot dimmer, so the Benq must be boosting the LED output a lot more than Asus is. That gives you plenty of headroom to dim the display a little by shortening strobe lengths, in turn reducing motion blur (_IF_ that is how the Benq dims the display).

Last edited:
P.S. How would you rank regular 60Hz on a scale of 1..10? regular 120Hz? And 120Hz LightBoost? (Just motion blur only, not color quality)

For me:
Normal LCD 60Hz = ranking 4/10
Normal LCD 120Hz = ranking 6/10
LightBoost LCD 120Hz = ranking 9/10
CRT = ranking 10/10

I think I can easily rank a 10, for a future display with brighter LED's with shorter strobe lengths, the question is if any of the LightBoost displays are able to strobe a backlight for a shorter time period than the phosphor decay of a FW900, and still do it with a blindingly bright picture. Then, it's game over for CRT (in this one department: motion blur).
The Asus isn't there, the Benq is probably closer (with extra brightness, you say).

Hopefully you've tested some videogames more, after tweaking their settings, etc. Do you still think it's approximately 80% of the way to CRT? Does adjusting LightBoost via monitor have any effect?

Last edited:
Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD's versus the FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I've been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is.

Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD's versus the FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I've been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is.
Vega says better than Sony FW900 CRT for this?
Wow!

FTW!

(Great to see you finally got a game to run without framerate glitches! Yes, it's damn difficult to get perfect 120fps@120Hz sometimes.)
EDIT: I just ordered a Benq XL2411T from overclockers.uk just 30 seconds ago, to directly compare to Asus VG278H. I anticipate that the Benq is better with _LightBoost_ than the VG278H, and proves that not all LightBoost monitors are created equal. We shall see!

Last edited:

Man you are making me pumped for my BenQ's arrival. Saying that it has as good motion as the FW900 is one thing but possibly better ? :eek:

Mind fucking ..blown. I can't wait to test this out. I really hope manufacturers realize the potential to market this towards gamers for not just 3D but finding a way to even come close to producing CRT like motion smoothness is the god send all of us have been waiting for since LCD's began to replace aging CRT technology. I can deal with less than ideal color reproduction (I've got 2 monitors that are excellent at that) and not so incredible contrast (have a fantastic Kuro I picked up used about 4 months ago that covers that need for movies) I just want crystal clear motion clarity.

I guess it is technically possible, I ran my FW900 at 1920x1200@96 Hz, this Benq is strobing at 120 Hz with I think around 1ms strobes. It is also very bright in Lightboost mode. The only issue I have is the color shift with a maroon tint while in LB mode.

I guess it is technically possible, I ran my FW900 at 1920x1200@96 Hz, this Benq is strobing at 120 Hz with I think around 1ms strobes. It is also very bright in Lightboost mode. The only issue I have is the color shift with a maroon tint while in LB mode.

I havent had any noticeable color shifting with my VG278Hs, just a lower brightness level, which have actually been more comfortable on the eyes to game on IMO.

I'll keep an eye out for that when it comes. If it bothers me enough I'll just return the BenQ for the Asus's 24 inch LB equal.

Sounds great thanks for the fast purchase and replies. I'd have to go with the VG278HE if the BenQ has maroon color tone/cast in lightboost2. Just about every screen type I own from desktop array, DTR notebook, tablet, and phone are glossy though so the AG is a downside for me.

Sounds great thanks for the fast purchase and replies. I'd have to go with the VG278HE if the BenQ has maroon color tone/cast in lightboost2.
I did notice that a gamer on AnandTech was dissapointed at the dimmed brightness of the Asus during LightBoost.
Is the brightness more important, or the maroon cast? Are you using the monitor during the daytime or at night? In a bright or dark room? Also, I think it is possible to erase the maroon cast via the video card by using Windows Display Profiles, you just need a little bit of calibration know-how. Decisions, decisions.

What's important is we've got multiple brands of zero motion blur LCD's, already here today! And I'll own two for comparision.

I'm guessing the stutter is simply a result of strobing an instant on/instant off light source such as LED. The image persistence of CRT has the effect of blending frames into each other.

Panning at a fixed speed is an excellent test of motion blur/clarity. Every 120hz LCD to date makes me physically ill when I slap +left in console of a Quake game. The eye tries in vain to track blurry objects.

Hurry up and release the vg248qe already! :)

How does the lightboost PWM affect your eyes Vega? I'm equally interested in these displays for the longer strobes and dimmer screen. Every LED I've used so far had to be run at max brightness, which wasn't fun at night.

Vega test out MOHW & Counter Strike GO when you get a chance. Two games that i tested so far where the motion clarity have been very pronounced.
In Counter Strike I enabled Vsync & triple buffering.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the stutter is simply a result of strobing an instant on/instant off light source such as LED. The image persistence of CRT has the effect of blending frames into each other.
This MAY be possible (could be a different reason like game problems). The scenario can happen if there is actually less motion blur on a BENQ LightBoost than a Sony FW900. (If this can be scientifically confirmed). I already know that the sharper the motion, the more noticeable stutters are. On a CRT, I can really see whenever there's a single framedrop, even at 120Hz. On an normal non-strobed LCD, this is much harder. That's why you need to have a really powerful graphics card to run as nearly perfectly a "120fps@120Hz", to maintain the perfect-feeling zero motion blur effect. Otherwise the stutters give can feel like there's a bit of added motion blur.

Nontheless, the difference between full-strobes (LightBoost) and point-at-a-time-strobes (CRT), I can't really tell the difference at 120Hz just by seeing the game. I do observe one related effect: There's a definite lack of image tilting for fast horizontal motion, because there's no rolling effect of the scanning of a CRT. Also, there's none of the non-linearities of a CRT where the edges of the images were more stretched out than the center of the image. In those respects, the LCD is superior. But obviously, the color quality is probably the single biggest problem that now needs to be solved by future LightBoost monitors.

Visualizing the full strobes, it is like executing a high-speed photography flash on each frame, but your human eyes is the film (the light collecting device). The backlight is the figurative camera flash. Freezing each frame with the strobe backlight. Zero motion blur built into each frame. Zero eye tracking based blur because a sharp frame is caught in your retinas thanks to flicker fusion. 1/1000sec shutter (daytime) or 1/1000sec flash bulb (nighttime) almost always make most kinds of fact action sharp. Likewise, 1/1000sec strobes of backlight makes fast-action video games equally sharp as that. Our LightBoost observations is appearing to be 100% consistent; the amount of motion blur directly go down with shorter strobe lengths. Just like faster shutters or quicker camera flashes. The effect is quite startling clear. The effect corresponds quite very closely. (i.e. Regular 60Hz LCD is approximately just as motion-blurry as a 1/60sec camera shutter, which often blurs badly if you take pictures while moving your real-life camera around as fast as your movements in video games).
Assuming the strobe length is correct, 1/60sec versus 1/1000sec means the BENQ has.... 94% less motion blur than a 60Hz LCD. 17 times less motion blur!
I'm going to see if this is true, when I receive the BENQ to compare to the ASUS.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I have ordered the ASUS VG278HE (arrived today :D ) and I want to get LB Mode with 144 Hz. Is that possible?

First of all I need a modified .inf for this monitor to bypass the 3D thingie (as I don't have this 3D Kit).

Can someone provide me a link of this file or even make one?

You guys are going to make me buy a benq and an nvidia card lol.. not good.

I just got my tempest OC tuesday haha.

Vega test out MOHW & Counter Strike GO when you get a chance. Two games that i tested so far where the motion clarity have been very pronounced.
In Counter Strike I enabled Vsync & triple buffering.

Are you sure that vsync with triple buffering is needed? I would think it would be a hindrance that introduces input lag.

I've had my VG278H for a few days now and with the 2d lightboost @ 120hz the game is liquid smooth. Honestly I'm still getting used how much of an improvement this is over my Acer GD235HZ.

more system specs:
2600k @ 4.0
8GB Ram
EVGA 690GTX

Last edited:
Are you sure that vsync with triple buffering is needed? I would think it would be a hindrance that introduces input lag.

I've had my VG278H for a few days now and with the 2d lightboost @ 120hz the game is liquid smooth. Honestly I'm still getting used how much of an improvement this is over my Acer GD235HZ.

Every game behaves a little differently. Other games I dont use vsync or TB. But CS GO looks even sharper and smoother with it enabled and fast turning imo. 120hz input lag is dramatically reduced (compared to 60hz) that i dont feel any lag. Now with 60hz and vsync enabled I do feel lag from vsync.

Congrats on the new monitor and getting 2d LB working. Only problem now is LB makes regular 120hz feel choppy :D

Every game behaves a little differently. Other games I dont use vsync or TB. But CS GO looks even sharper and smoother with it enabled and fast turning imo. 120hz input lag is dramatically reduced (compared to 60hz) that i dont feel any lag. Now with 60hz and vsync enabled I do feel lag from vsync.

Congrats on the new monitor and getting 2d LB working. Only problem now is LB makes regular 120hz feel choppy :D

I forget if this still applies, or if this is the correct situation, but usually if you limit your fps below 120 maybe at 119 (i do 118) it reduces the input lag of v sync. Which is unfortunate since we want 120fps...

Few notes from me:

Benq XL2420XT

With some games that don't support 3D Vision very well, it is hard to tell when 3D mode is enabled / disabled. Especially when using the CTRL + T hotkey, i think i spent an hour trying figure out why my TF2 performance was crippled all of a sudden, and then i finally realized that for whatever reason 3D mode was still on, but there is no screen difference to tell me.

PixPerAn crashed to hell on me until i removed beta drivers. I also removed all the extra nvidia stuff, but i just think it was the beta drivers.

So vega - any plans to try debezelling for 3xportrait viability or are you sticking to one card/screen as a minimum lag fps setup?

Back