ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

Interesting, is this new BenQ model inferring that it has it's own built in 2D Lightboost?

http://www.benq.com/news/4357/1

Even though, it's still a TN panel so I am more excited for the new 240Hz Eizo.

Thanks for the links.

Very interesting.

Is there a BenQ representative on the forums? These links to the BenQ website kind of pose more questions than anwers.

* how does g-sync fit with these new monitors?
* what about 2D lightboost?

When will the 27" be available for purchase? the website says November. Will the retailers have them in stock in November?

Ugh, 1080p. Why couldn't they have made it 1440? Same thing with the Eizo.. wish it was 27"

it looks like it's aimed at gamers who value motion clarity over resolution. 1440 risks alienating gamers who can't achieve 120 fps in 1440

Be aware that 2560x will be more demanding and work best with dual gpus on more demanding games, which could add a lot to cpu budgets(could req. pushing enthusiast budgets into extreme gpu budgets), or require you to turn your settings down considerably on a single card.

With a single gtx780 you wouldn't even hit 80fps on some of the more demanding games on max settings.

2560x ,single gtx 780

Shogun 2 DX11, ultra quality, AF 16x, AA - OFF: min: 57 ave fps: 74
Shogun 2 DX11, ultra quality, AF 16x, AA 8x: min 31 ave fps 43

BF3 Ultra quality AF 16x, AA-OFF: min 81, ave fps: 99
BF3 Ultra quality AF 16x, AA- 4x: min 63, ave fps: 74

Tomb Raider Ultra+TressFX, AF16x, FXAA: min. 42 ave fps 56
Tomb Raider Ultra+TressFX, AF16x, 2xSSAA: min 32 ave fps 40

Bioshock inf. Ultra quality AF 16x, AA-OFF: min 14 ave fps: 84 - 86
Bioshock inf. Ultra quality AF 16x, AA 4x: min 12 -14, ave fps: 68 - 69

Company of Heroes DX11, Max quality, AF 16x, AA OFF: min 29- 30 ave: 48
Company of Heroes DX11, Max quality, AF 16x, AA 8x: min 12 ave: 26

dual 770 (sli) setup at 2560x
would fare better but would need to drop settings a bit to get 120fps+ .. (dual 760's is more affordable but falls further from 100 fps+)

Total War:Shogun 2 DX11, Ultra Quality AF 16x, AA OFF ~ 116 FPS
Total War:Shogun 2 DX11, Ultra Quality AF 16x, AA 8X ~ 64 FPS

Bioshock inf. Ultra quality AF 16x, AA-OFF: ~ 127 FPS
Bioshock inf. Ultra quality AF 16x, AA-4x: ~101 FPS

BF3 Ultra AF16x AA Off ~ 154 fps
BF3 Ultra AF16x AA 4x ~ 111 fps

Company of Heroes2 DX11, Max quality, AF 16x, AA OFF: ~ 52 FPS
Company of Heroes DX11, Max quality, AF 16x, AA 8x: ~35 fps

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just wanted to join in on this thread. I'm the guy who started the Wiki page on this subject. I took a new job a few days ago that puts me in a position to be able to do some stuff here (finally after like a decade) LOL. I haven't caught up on everything yet, but just saying hello to all.

What is the difference between the BenQ XL2420TE and the BenQ XL2420Z?

I just bought the asus VG248QE and it should be here tomorrow. I plan on using lightboost at 120hz for games, and 144hz for desktop. What are the best settings to use in these circumstances and what icc profiles should I use for lightboost @ 120hz, 144hz, and 60hz?

When playing COD Ghosts on Steam the LightBoost is only enabled on the 144Hz refresh rate setting in the game. Changing the Video Options in Ghosts to 120Hz turns off LightBoost.

I am using the latest ToastyX Strobelight version and have installed the Strobed 120Hz rate.

Any solution to this? Also is there a big perfomance difference in 144Hz vs 120Hz strobed?

That display can't strobe at 144hz at all. Must be some software bug. It's probably at 120 in game if the monitor says 3d mode is on.

That display can't strobe at 144hz at all. Must be some software bug. It's probably at 120 in game if the monitor says 3d mode is on.

Thank you Bluesun311. The monitor does say 3D when I press menu. The game is set to 144Hz in the video options.
Windows 8.1 desktop is set at 120Hz and monitor displays 3D = strobed.

Just experience 144Hz today for the first time. Was blown away at the difference. People weren't joking.

Question about in game settings. For BF4 I was using 1080P @ 59Hz and the game looked amazing. I switched it to 1080P @ 144Hz and noticed the colors got a lot lighter but didn't notice too much of a difference for smoothness. What should I be using for in game settings?

Still contemplating on doing the LightBoost hack.

EDIT: Just installed Lightboost Toasty version. Even at 100% it seems to be too dark for me. Maybe I'll get used to it but doing the motion alien test off Blurbusters I can definitely see a huge difference in clarity. Not sure if it will make games all that better though. I'll test it out this weekend.

Last edited:
Still contemplating on doing the LightBoost hack.
Ding ding ding :D

:) :) :) 120Hz lightboost >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 144Hz :p :p :p

One thing, though. Some people are sensitive to the strobing effect. It's too fast to cause seizures, I think, but it can make your eyes water, and sometimes it gives me a headache. But everything gives me a headache so screw it, I use strobing mode most of the time. On these Asus 144Hz Lightboost is a lot darker though, and the lower the brightness, the smoother the motion. Also, just because you're at 144Hz doesn't mean you're at 144fps and unless you are matched you wont really benefit as much.

g-sync monitors coming out, and according to reports, incl. this one from a user post on blurbusters.com 's ulmb report/page, it's ulmb backlight strobing mode is superior to lightboost hack:

"It actually gets it’s own hardware button on the kit’s monitor, as well, which makes it very convenient to enable/disable – it’s just to the left of the power button. I generally preferred G-Sync on, which meant ULMB wasn’t available, but on older games where I hold a solid huge FPS (or all of my 2D usage) it was quick and easy to enable. Hopefully a future update or revision allows for both G-Sync and ULMB, as that would truly be the best of both worlds.

ULMB is noticeably better than the lightboost hack on the same monitor, it’s still somewhat dimmer but it doesn’t wash out the colors or give any kind of tint to it. I don’t have a high-speed camera handy, or I’d take some sample pictures that could be compared against lightboost, however I’m sure blurbusters will jump in with these once the media ban is lifted. I’m quite impressed the improvements they made over straight lightboost, especially considering the kit has no settings for color tone or contrast. "

Using both modes as he suggests/hopes for however would not be good unless the ulmb dynamically cut out at sub 100hz in my opinion because the strobing would be too slow at lower fps+hz matched g-sync rates with noticeable flicker.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to Lightboost. The colors are so bad. Whites look terrible. Loaded the ICC profile and adjusted the Nvidia settings.

I prefer the 144Hz none Lightboost profile much better. Easier on the eyes.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to Lightboost. The colors are so bad. Whites look terrible. Loaded the ICC profile and adjusted the Nvidia settings.

I prefer the 144Hz none Lightboost profile much better. Easier on the eyes.

Not only is lightboost detrimental to colors and brightness, but in general I find 144Hz monitors have better pq at 144 over 120Hz. Maybe it's just me.

Back