Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

So, uh what ended up happening? Did Asus allow him to RMA? I read up when this was only 5 pages long. I really hope they do, as I too have only had good experiences with there stuff.

They are talking right now.

As of right now I'm in contact with ASUS reps and it's looking like there might be a resolution. But I don't really want to say any more until I have something from them physically in front of me to speak about.

Precisely my point! Would you agree that handing out free upgrades to merchandise might cost a company more than not?

I'll feed you (can't promise it won't be tainted tho;))...Giving out "free" stuff is part of any companies marketing, and they allow a budget for it..However those "free" warranty upgrades were written off as a loss, since that is perfectly allowed for a company to do.

What truly killed BFG was the fact that they paid a PCB company to build a bunch of AMD branded cards with GPUs they had paid for, but without direct consent from AMD..AMD was not happy, and refused to issue BFG a license to produce their cards...BFG couldn't afford to pay the company for the PCBs and labor without being able to sell the cards..

BFG's last minute, "bet the farm" gamble failed, and they were truly fucked..They had tens of thousands of AMD cards they couldn't legally sell, and did not have any of the just released 4 series Nvidia cards which were in huge demand...

A proper comparison would be Asus and Abit (as I mentioned earlier in this thread)..Abit made TOP NOTCH, quality motherboards that were the go to brand worldwide for high performance components..

Abit was very good about warranties and CS with RMAs..It did not kill them to stand behind their products. Poor management at the top was the reason for their demise, not "standing" behind their products..

They are talking right now.

It is pathetic it has taken this long to get a to a"talking" stage..The OP's last update makes the tinfoil hat side of me think that Asus really did PM him threatening to only resolve the situation if he stays quiet until then:p

Funny i was literally about to post the same exact thing. I havent had anyone on my ignore list in years and he just made the cut.

Same here, I had to look up if there even was one.

Also I'm fairly certain this thread is literally a train wreck now.

Last edited:
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this,

Stumbled upon this site
http://www.pissedconsumer.com

Name says it all, a place to go for complaints about a company, here was what I found:

MSI:
Total Complaints 1 - Customer didn't know how to type, barely understood it but his issue was with the PC shop and not MSI

EVGA:
Couldn't find anything

Corsair:
Total Complaints 1 - Customer was complaining of having to pay shipping to send back for RMA (which I dunno many companies that pay for it anyways, surprisingly people even commented to this customer defending Corsair!)

Gigabyte:
Total Complaints 1 - Legit issue with RMA

ASUS:
Total Complaints 81 - Most were customer service complaints and guess what? WARRANTY DENIALS WHEN STILL UNDER WARRANTY!

EDIT:
Another good one:

http://www.ripoffreport.com

MSI:
Total Complaints 1 - Customer was complaining of having to pay shipping to send back for RMA

EVGA:
Total Complaints 6 - Mostly mail in rebate complaints

Corsair:
Can't find any

Gigabyte:
Total Complaints 4

ASUS:
Total Complaints 44

And another:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com

MSI:
couldn't find any

EVGA:
Total Complaints 1 - Mail in rebate complaint

Corsair:
Can't find any

Gigabyte:
Can't find any

ASUS:
Total Complaints 121

Last edited:
Considering it backs up many experiences here, the probability is quite high.
Stumbling on the truth seems to annoy you.
:)

Considering it backs up many experiences here, the probability is quite high.
Stumbling on the truth seems to annoy you.

And my making of little jokes appears to bother you. Feel free to add me to your ignore list. I'm not going to be drawn into a fight.

This thread has a collection of previous experiences, the responses prompted by the thread holder already suffering at Asus hands.
Then many direct responses from Asus proving the case, so you're right, there is plenty of reason to believe Asus are turning down valid warranty claims.
The same happened to me 2 years ago so its been going on for quite some time.

Reading all of this makes me wish that my motherboard will die when it's out of warranty so I won't have to deal with Asus CS.

You want to see more than one bad Asus experience on this forum?
There's a search button. :rolleyes:

It's really not hard to use the search button. I'm tired of linking all the shitty asus support threads, so if you want more, just start searching.

You can list pretty much any additional resources (ASUS BBB rating comes to mind) but it won't matter to him since he's only interested in trolling (although he will claim to be joking and/or sharing his experience). BTW he was also trolling (Sorry! He was "sharing his experience") in a few threads you listed (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768045 and http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1689213).

At this point I'm only interested to see what if the OP will get things resolved (the thread as long since derailed thanks in no small part to Starrbuck).

Last edited:
Lol. They fall in line with a similar experience I had. I bought a maximus iv extreme-z (a couple of years ago), that was doa out the box. It took 3 weeks for asus to accept rma and after 2 months, they finally sent me a replacement board. *Drumrolls* and laughably, that was doa as well.

I took the loss and moved on. I've sinced owned a z77 sabernoob, maximus v extreme, and currently run a maximus vi hero. Luckily for me, those last three boards mentioned
have all worked flawlessly. But if there was to be an issue, I already know asus would not help.

I'm currently looking at some gigabyte mobo's to replace my vi hero. I will not support companies that do not stand by their products, with atrocious customer support.

You can list pretty much any additional resources (ASUS BBB rating comes to mind) but it won't matter to him since he's only interested in trolling (although he will claim to be joking and/or sharing his experience). BTW he was also trolling (Sorry! He was "sharing his experience") in a few threads you listed (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768045 and http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1689213).

Haha! I don't remember writing those, but I have been around here for over 8 years so I'm probably in some threads about some other things besides ASUS too. If you don't want to read it, feel free to add me to your ignore list and be done with it. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

I've sinced owned a z77 sabernoob, maximus v extreme, and currently run a maximus vi hero. Luckily for me, those last three boards mentioned
have all worked flawlessly. But if there was to be an issue, I already know asus would not help.

I'm currently looking at some gigabyte mobo's to replace my vi hero. I will not support companies that do not stand by their products, with atrocious customer support.

So why did you keep buying from them after you had all that trouble?

So why did you keep buying from them after you had all that trouble?

Because they do make good motherboards, which is something that can't be argued. Plus, it's no biggie for me to take the loss if they were to fail.

Because they do make good motherboards, which is something that can't be argued. Plus, it's no biggie for me to take the loss if they were to fail.

Looks like you're trying to argue it, as most of those threads you pointed me to were about motherboards! ;)

Looks like you're trying to argue it, as most of those threads you pointed me to were about motherboards! ;)

pot, kettle.
What have you contributed to this thread that is constructive?
Bear in mind the threads theme.

Its obvious you are trying to get the thread closed.
Nice try, but this points to something pretty underhand.

You have brought more and regular exposure to the issue instead.

Its obvious you are trying to get the thread closed.
Nice try, but this points to something pretty underhand.

You have brought more and regular exposure to the issue instead.

He just wants attention. Do not feed him :).

At this point I'm only interested to see what if the OP will get things resolved (the thread as long since derailed thanks in no small part to Starrbuck).

So the troll has a history of defending asus in these types of threads. Perhaps they're more of a shill than a troll, that would certainly explain why they've tried so hard to derail the thread. I've also been following this thread to find out what the outcome is for the OP but the trolling has made it more difficult, which was probably the point.

Those complaint figures someone posted from those websites are interesting, it's further evidence that this wasn't an isolated incident.

Some weird stuff going on here...

This thread is sure bringing out "fresh accounts"...

EDIT: Let's avoid getting this thread locked, as I feel it deserves to stay open for a resolution. One way or another.

Mods might as well lock this shit show trollfest and if the OP reaches a resolution he can PM the mods to reopen. Everything that can be said has been said...starrbuck has turned it into a trolling ground. He even admitted to it, pretend to be joking, and carried on. Enough is enough.

Since admitting to perhaps doing a little too much joking around in this thread, I've apologized and suggested to be added to ignore lists, so I don't know what else I can do. Every reply since then has been sincere but some people just won't let it go. I'm certainly not going to stop posting just because you all gang up on me. I'm smiling because y'all are all so bent out of shape, and I don't understand it. It just fascinates me!

Again, I hope the OP gets the issues resolved soon, I hope ASUS improves its CS and its RMA process, and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Damn this thread's gotten awfully spicy. Let me say that it was never my intention for it to get that way. I initially just posted because I had never had any hardware that spontaneously combusted on me before. I knew the guys here at [H] had a lot of knowledge and could offer up some perspective or perhaps explanation as to what happened.

After getting thrown around by ASUS and their RMA process it became clear I wasn't the only one to ever experience this, hence the multitude of anecdotes and what not that came about. Now I don't even have enough popcorn for the trolls, frankly none of whom I feel the need to respond to. If you took the time to read the thread in the first place I think I've outlined everything I can about the situation.

As of right now I'm in contact with ASUS reps and it's looking like there might be a resolution. But I don't really want to say any more until I have something from them physically in front of me to speak about.

Yeah, sorry about that. You never know sometimes with public internet forums. Please do update us when you've reached the end of this long-lasting story.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry about that. You never know sometimes with public internet forums. Please do update us when you've reached then end of this long-lasting story.

No reason to be sorry because a known troll went and trolled a type of thread hes been known to troll in the past.

No reason to be sorry because a known troll went and trolled a type of thread hes been known to troll in the past.

You're right. I was just letting OP know that there are still those of us who care about the outcome, instead of wasting time and post counts by trolling a thread. Why they do it is beyond me.

You're right. I was just letting OP know that there are still those of us who care about the outcome, instead of wasting time and post counts by trolling a thread. Why they do it is beyond me.

Sadly they probably didnt get enough attention as a child and now seek attention in a deconstructive manner by driving relevant discussions into the ground with irrelevant conjecture.

Sadly they probably didnt get enough attention as a child and now seek attention in a deconstructive manner by driving relevant discussions into the ground with irrelevant conjecture.

The relevant discussion on this thread has been gone for some time. The fact that you choose to respond to him with your own demeaning manner means you still "feed the troll".

There was nothing constructive with your own message. Perhaps if you just didn't respond, it would go a bit more smoothly

The relevant discussion on this thread has been gone for some time. The fact that you choose to respond to him with your own demeaning manner means you still "feed the troll".

There was nothing constructive with your own message. Perhaps if you just didn't respond, it would go a bit more smoothly

Yeah.....but......you and Starrbuck have been leading the pack.

I just hope the thread doesn't get shut down.

I am very interested in finding out what happens.

The post with all the ASUS complaints really has driven home the point here, in fact I find it hard to believe there are so few compliants. Heck, I recall a thread not too long ago with at least 80 people from this forum who had nightmarish RMA problems with ASUS.:eek: I suppose you could counter that when you are a giant supplier, you will have statistically more compliants?

But I have come to my limit here, I'm just waiting for the outcome.:D

Yeah.....but......you and Starrbuck have been leading the pack.

I just hope the thread doesn't get shut down.

I am very interested in finding out what happens.

The post with all the ASUS complaints really has driven home the point here, in fact I find it hard to believe there are so few compliants. Heck, I recall a thread not too long ago with at least 80 people from this forum who had nightmarish RMA problems with ASUS.:eek: I suppose you could counter that when you are a giant supplier, you will have statistically more compliants?

But I have come to my limit here, I'm just waiting for the outcome.:D

I haven't mentioned anything in a while because I've said what I mostly wanted to say. I'm a firm believer in viewing things from both sides, and not rampantly dismissing companies or differing opinions. I would have a similiar stance for say, the Xbone DRM thing/ PSN security breach a while ago.

And I can agree that larger suppliers equal more complaints (was going to bring it up earlier, but not with all the hate going on). Of course, that may not be the sole reasoning for why there's a lot of complaints about Asus.

Back