Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

derpentine

n00b
UPDATE 8/7:

Finally, after nearly 3 months of pain, it's the moment everyone (and myself) have been waiting for. So I got in touch with ASUS when they received my old card, and they overnight-ed the GTX770 replacement. I documented the unboxing process and the card appears to be brand new, even had the plastic on the back plate, which is a plus. It also seems to function perfectly.

I'm pretty thrilled to have this whole debacle over with. It's regrettable that it took this long to get this point, not to mention the amount of kicking and screaming that had to go on to make it happen. Nonetheless, I finally got a replacement. I do appreciate the help of the cl team, and let me say it's actually nice to communicate with support when they're not stonewalling you. It shouldn't be that hard to get a resolution in the first place though. I'm not going to go on ranting though as honestly it's been so long I'm not that livid anymore.

As for ASUS, I can't say (at this point anyway) that I'll be buying or recommending their products, but I'll give them a shot with the GTX770 and see how it works out. I just wish they could have been this helpful from the beginning and I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get here.

I'll update the first post as well in case everybody doesn't want to have to dig through 20+ pages.

PICS:
IMG_1124_zpsf67af3f4.jpg

IMG_1125_zps429aa7eb.jpg

IMG_1128_zps617ef470.jpg

IMG_1130_zpsf6c2c0d9.jpg

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while as I've been pretty content with my rig, but I thought this might be an entertaining tale. So after cleaning up my PC this afternoon I hop on BF3, and not even 5 minutes in the round my screen goes black and I hear the loudest fan noise I've ever heard. Suddenly I see some smoke rising up from underneath my desk so I get down to the case and pop the side open. The graphics card is literally on fire, up in flames smoking everywhere. I panicked a bit but unplugged the computer and opened all my windows (AC was on) to the copious amounts of smoke out. A couple hours later the whole house still stinks like burnt silicon. Luckily, though, nothing else died in the accident.

So naturally I'm in the process of contacting Asus for an RMA. I'm pretty disappointed as I bought the card in September and it's not even a year old. The card wasn't overclocked or overvolted, nor was it crossfired. But hey shit happens. After some digging online it seems these first revision DC II cards had poor contact from such a bulky cooler and the card was subsequently redesigned. So should I pull the trigger on a new card (did I miss anything new come out) while I wait for the RMA or sit with integrated for a while?

And of course, pics.

IMG_0169-Copy_zpsd01d0533.jpg

IMG_0171-Copy_zpsb867cbc7.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, dude. That's rough.

Since you're thinking about a new video card, if you wanted a bit of a boost in power, the GTX 770 did just launch today. Would be something to look into.

Did you see any flames? I had some nvidia 6600GTs in sli and one of them caught fire and had a huge round flame coming off of it. I was so scared my whole pc was gonna be toast, it was only about 3 months old too at the time.

Actually you are lucky the card gave out while it was still under warranty. Catching fire is a pretty crazy bad design defect though. LOL

Did you see any flames? I had some nvidia 6600GTs in sli and one of them caught fire and had a huge round flame coming off of it. I was so scared my whole pc was gonna be toast, it was only about 3 months old too at the time.

Yea quite a bit of flames actually. I wish I took a quick video of it but was more concerned with the house burning down lol. The amount of smoke was unreal too. I'm lucky it went out when I unplugged it and I didn't have to grab a fire extinguisher. Also lucky I was home when it happened, talk about a fire hazard...

Actually you are lucky the card gave out while it was still under warranty. Catching fire is a pretty crazy bad design defect though. LOL

Yea hopefully they honor it. I mean it's not my fault your hardware decides to spontaneously combust haha. I originally had bought an XFX 7950 and returned it because it was overheating. I purposefully bought the one with biggest heatsink I could find. Guess that was a mistake. And just curious has anybody been through the Asus RMA process before?

Also I took a few more pics with the good camera in case anybody is interested. It doesn't look like much considering there were a nice amount of flames shooting up.

IMG_1037_zps938e6f5b.jpg

IMG_1039_zpsb7e57fbc.jpg

out of all places on the card to catch fire why there lol

my first thought would be the vrms (not heatsinked) and prob a million other places

out of all places on the card to catch fire why there lol

my first thought would be the vrms (not heatsinked) and prob a million other places

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming the cooler lost contact with the GPU because I lost video and the fans went crazy before I started to see smoke. Also http://www.behardware.com/news/12153/asus-hd-7950-directcu-ii-fault-report.html. From what I could see it's a bit more burnt on the other side of the PCB. There's nothing on the side of my case though that was contacting near the crossfire ports. Who knows. I guess I should have taken off the cooler to further inspect the damage but I didn't want to risk anything and just shipped it to Asus today.

Now i'm wondering ...what are the chances of a fire starting on your card, inside a case... and then catching something else in the surrounding area on fire?

Now i'm wondering ...what are the chances of a fire starting on your card, inside a case... and then catching something else in the surrounding area on fire?

Depending on the manuf, if their product causes a failure or damage to another component they usually will take care of you. I had an issue with a corsair h50 pump "blowing open" and leaking onto my video card and corsair took care of the videocard. I would hope that any of these companies would take care of it.

I had a 8800GTS[512mb] light on fire a long time ago. Worst. Smell. Ever.

However, in my case, the card continued to output video. The only giveaway was the smell and smoke.

It was also in a similar, random area.. like yours.

If I remember correctly, it was in one of these two circles.. i think the one farther from the SLI connector.

http://i.imgur.com/RGQ68Tm.png

Also similar in my case.. nothing else died.

Very weird

Ah yea I had a 8800GT, it simply died on me though nothing this exciting. Very strange it was almost in the same spot. On the 7950 there's a couple of GDDR chips near there, maybe that was the source of ignition?

I guess it's par for the course knowing my luck :p. I am lucky, however, in that I was home when it caught fire and that I didn't lose anything else. If only my mobo had a displayport so I could get 1440p over the Intel integrated graphics. Still, I guess 1080p is better than a "well done" CPU lol. Now I'm just trying to be patient (and financially responsible) and not run to Microcenter on Monday and pick up a GTX 770 or 7970 Ghz.

That's a really strange place for a GPU to catch on fire, unless something metal was accidentally sitting there. Good luck on that RMA from ASUS.

well, we generally provide plenty of oxygen inside our rigs

Bummer. That first geration DC2 card of yours was a terrible design to begin with.

Looking at your high res photos I see alot of dust build up. Dust accumulated with moisture can cause electronic devices to arc and catch fire like that. Not saying that happened but I do see dust in your photos.

well, we generally provide plenty of oxygen inside our rigs

I guess it also depends on where we keep our rigs too.

Mine is on a desk, which will be safer in some respect than say... on a carpet.

I would definitely go the RMA process first. Take more pics of the inside of your case too. If ANYTHING looks hinkey, be sure to take pics and report it as well for replacement from ASUS. Plus, if they decide to stiff you, you have a case for litigation. Did your monitor get affected at all?

Bummer. That first geration DC2 card of yours was a terrible design to begin with.

Looking at your high res photos I see alot of dust build up. Dust accumulated with moisture can cause electronic devices to arc and catch fire like that. Not saying that happened but I do see dust in your photos.

Yea I see a bit of dust too. I honestly thought it was smoke residue that had settled, as I had just cleaned the PC. I'm usually pretty meticulous about keeping it clean, every two weeks or so I clean the case out and clean the filters. There's also an air filter in the room the PC is in to cut down on dust. But you're right, my attempts could have been futile if that shit was really caked on there.

I would definitely go the RMA process first. Take more pics of the inside of your case too. If ANYTHING looks hinkey, be sure to take pics and report it as well for replacement from ASUS. Plus, if they decide to stiff you, you have a case for litigation. Did your monitor get affected at all?

Well I already have. I shipped it on Friday, est. delivery was today but tracking hasn't updated yet... Yea my case is pretty damn clean and with good airflow. I typed out what happened when I shipped it for RMA but didn't send pics. I mean the card was barely 9 months old and Asus warranty is I think 3 years. I don't THINK it was anything I did as I am always pretty good to my PC, unless they can pin it on dust like the poster above pointed out. What steps would I have to take if they deny it?

Sorry for my ignorance and getting ahead of myself expecting the worst here, but
1) I have fairly bad luck, and
2) I've never had to do any of this before. I've never had a part fail, and fail as dramatically as this (at least within warranty period). And I don't think my monitor was affected, I can only get 1080p but that's a fault with my motherboard/CPU. There's no dual link DVI or displayport on the Asrock Extreme 4.

Last edited:
Unless the card was completely clogged with dust, I don't think ASUS can get you on that. Again, I would stress you take ALOT of pics of your motherboard and anything else possibly effected by the fire. I ask about the monitor, in case it shorted out, or is having any weird issues since the incident. ASUS could be responsible for all that if it is deemed the video card was faulty, and caused this to occur.

A little update. Took about a week for them to "receive" it after it was delivered. Doesn't look good
stiffed_zps057441a5.jpg

They haven't contacted me yet but I'm going to call tomorrow and see what the deal is. Anyone know how I can go about not getting stiffed?

Customer induced damage/Out of warranty? Uh oh, that doesn't sound good.

Did you modify the card in any way? New BIOS, maybe? If you really did nothing to the card and it is still under warranty, I can't see why you'd get charged.

Nope, never modified it in any way. I'd like to know how I caused the damage as well but all I got when I contacted support was that burns aren't covered under warranty. I tried to get further explanation but was just told that I'd receive an email with all the details and what it would cost to fix. Pretty ridiculous that I'm supposed to eat $350 for a poorly designed cooling solution failing. Not really sure what to do at this point, other than never buying an Asus product ever again.

I wonder if there's anything the community can possibly do to help if this doesn't get resolved? Like email ASUS reps referring to the RMA number and directing them to this thread?

All I got from the email response was this:

"Physical damage is not covered under warranty unless repair team finds it as manufacturer defect. If you wish to dispute the matter with the damage. Please contact our customer care team at: http://www.service.asus.com/escalations#!escalation-mailbox/c1scx

Thanks,

Asus Product Support"

They never told me anything about what they claim it was I did that caused the fire. Shit all I want to know is what I apparently did to cause it. I sent a mail to escalation, and hopefully when I'm not working I'll get a chance to call and actually talk to someone as well.

there was an Asus rep on this board

"redbeard" was it? he has been helpful to members in the past

edit/ my bad, redbeard is the Corsair rep...still looking

ASUS needs to get their shit together. I've been using them for a lot of things a long time because of trust in their quality, but reports of how their video cards have been shoddy this gen, plus a P67 motherboard I had to RMA in the past year are seriously making me reconsider their standing when I buy now. I've already switched a motherboard in a friend's build from ASUS to Gigabyte last week.

OP, I would second the suggestion that they be directed to this thread so somebody there gets the message that this reflects badly on them, and it'll start affecting their bottom line.

Is it denied because of the damage to the cooling fins right below the damaged area???
If I didn't know better and seen the pics I would think something was dropped on the card or waged in the fins shorting the card. IDK but could be the problem since it is inline with the damage.
I could be wrong but would keep pushing for warranty coverage.

Last edited:
there was an Asus rep on this board

"redbeard" was it? he has been helpful to members in the past

edit/ my bad, redbeard is the Corsair rep...still looking

Raja? Or something like that. Hold on. I think he answered a thread I created awhile back about me bending a pin on my motherboard. :eek:

EDIT: It's Raja@ASUS. I've sent him a PM and linked him to this thread. Hopefully he can help the OP out.

Last edited:
Had a friend who's ASUS motherboard caught fire where the video card plugs in and they refused to RMA his board. Nothing leaked on it and nothing fell on his either. His video card was RMA'd by XFX with no problem from the same incident. I'm looking forward to seeing how ASUS resolves your issue also.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. So far I haven't heard anything yet.

Is it denied because of the damage to the cooling fins right below the damaged area???
If I didn't know better and seen the pics I would think something was dropped on the card or waged in the fins shorting the card. IDK but could be the problem since it is inline with the damage.
I could be wrong but would keep pushing for warranty coverage.

That's the thing. They won't tell me why it was denied, just that it was. AFAIK the fins are designed that way. Take a look here at the pics from the behardware article
IMG0035288_1.jpg

There's also nothing in my case obstructing the card. My guess is it was the poor design of the cooling unit that after months of sagging in the case it separated from the GPU,. got really hot, and caught fire. I posted a link to the fault report earlier in the thread if you want to read about it, but basically the gist is

Barely had we set it up in our test casing before we noticed frequent crashes. When we looked at the card a bit closer, we noted that the big cooling system is only fixed to the GPU with four screws and that one of them didn’t have any purchase on anything. We screwed the screws to a maximum to try and compensate and noted that on top of this fault in our sample model, the pressure of the cooler against the GPU was very (too) light for each of the screws. We did however continue to run our tests as the crashes stopped and the GPU temperature reported by the sensor was relatively low.

It was a poorly designed card for sure that they subsequently redesigned. If only I had known BEFORE I bought it... I mean if the repair team claims it was my fault, fine. But at least tell me what it was that I supposedly did that caused it.

Sorry to hear about that OP, major bummer.
But you said this happened after you cleaned out your pc. Is there any chance something happened during the cleaning that is somehow related? Perhaps a screw was left on the card and caused a short?

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while as I've been pretty content with my rig, but I thought this might be an entertaining tale. So after cleaning up my PC this afternoon I hop on BF3, and not even 5 minutes in the round my screen goes black and I hear the loudest fan noise I've ever heard. Suddenly I see some smoke rising up from underneath my desk so I get down to the case and pop the side open. The graphics card is literally on fire, up in flames smoking everywhere. I panicked a bit but unplugged the computer and opened all my windows (AC was on) to the copious amounts of smoke out. A couple hours later the whole house still stinks like burnt silicon. Luckily, though, nothing else died in the accident.

So naturally I'm in the process of contacting Asus for an RMA. I'm pretty disappointed as I bought the card in September and it's not even a year old. The card wasn't overclocked or overvolted, nor was it crossfired. But hey shit happens. After some digging online it seems these first revision DC II cards had poor contact from such a bulky cooler and the card was subsequently redesigned. So should I pull the trigger on a new card (did I miss anything new come out) while I wait for the RMA or sit with integrated for a while?

And of course, pics.

IMG_0169-Copy_zpsd01d0533.jpg

IMG_0171-Copy_zpsb867cbc7.jpg

are you sure you didn't inadvertantly short something out when you cleaned the PC. I have taken many a heatsink and fan off of a card for cleaning and reinstalled them. I never had one burst into flames. I have even used a shop vac with the brush attachment on my PC and again no flames....

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. So far I haven't heard anything yet.
That's the thing. They won't tell me why it was denied, just that it was. AFAIK the fins are designed that way. Take a look here at the pics from the behardware article
There's also nothing in my case obstructing the card. My guess is it was the poor design of the cooling unit that after months of sagging in the case it separated from the GPU,. got really hot, and caught fire. I posted a link to the fault report earlier in the thread if you want to read about it, but basically the gist is

Man you are correct...just not sure what there saying then??? I was just guessing from the look of the fins.
Keep pushing for warranty:confused:

Sorry to hear about that OP, major bummer.
But you said this happened after you cleaned out your pc. Is there any chance something happened during the cleaning that is somehow related? Perhaps a screw was left on the card and caused a short?

are you sure you didn't inadvertantly short something out when you cleaned the PC. I have taken many a heatsink and fan off of a card for cleaning and reinstalled them. I never had one burst into flames. I have even used a shop vac with the brush attachment on my PC and again no flames....

It's possible, but I didn't take the cooler apart to clean it. All I did was take the card out and blow the dust out from the fins.

I'd guess that a burr on that metal bracket dug into a trace.

Makes sense to me, especially considering where it lit up.

Hopefully you get this sorted out, and there's no other damage to your board. Seems crazy your card can burst into flames and then you'd be denied an RMA. A company that's big as Asus should give you the benefit of the doubt on what happened. I'm sure they see their fair share of bullshit claims though. Probably hard to tell the real from the fake.

Good luck man.

ASUS RMA/CS has been sadly lagging of late...this from a long time fan...see sig

Back