Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

The relevant discussion on this thread has been gone for some time. The fact that you choose to respond to him with your own demeaning manner means you still "feed the troll".

There was nothing constructive with your own message. Perhaps if you just didn't respond, it would go a bit more smoothly

Yap yap. Ive been ignoring him and havent responded to him in several days, thanks. Did you happen to notice he got kicked from this thread?

BTW, there was nothing constructive with your own message. Perhaps if you just didnt respond...

Wow. Just wow.

At first I could see the whole "two sides of the story" angle, but after a big enough stink was made Asus should have swooped in and replaced the card to save face. They did the exact opposite.

I'd think this would be resolved by now if it was going any further than the first warranty rejection.

I'd imagine that Asus is going to end up spending more dealing with this issue just in man hours alone than they ever would have just replacing the card in the first place.

Yap yap. Ive been ignoring him and havent responded to him in several days, thanks. Did you happen to notice he got kicked from this thread?

That was a good thing.:D

Anyway......I'd like to see the end of this issue.

If ASUS had any sense of what was right, or even simply the benefit of the doubt, a new GPU should have been expressed to this guy's house a week ago.

That was a good thing.:D

Anyway......I'd like to see the end of this issue.

If ASUS had any sense of what was right, or even simply the benefit of the doubt, a new GPU should have been expressed to this guy's house a week ago.

After this bad press he should have two 780s in the mail

I'm curious where this whole deal will end up. I'll be waiting for an final outcome.

To be honest I hope the OP does get his card taken care of, but it wont change my opinion of ASUS just because they may (or may not) feel forced into replacing it for this one case. This thread brought the issue to my attention and then I did a lot of my own searching and checked the links posted in this thread. I will NOT be buying any motherboards, video cards, or monitors from ASUS at this point until I see a turn around in how they do business. I just don't want to support a company with that market model if at all possible. There are other options, even if those options cost a bit more. I am willing to pay a higher price to a company that has better customer service.

I am working through an asus mobo rma right now and this thread is not inspiring confidence :|

I am working through an asus mobo rma right now and this thread is not inspiring confidence :|

they're going to bend your pins or in the case of an AMD motherboard snap pins off inside the socket

that's not even the worst part, they're going to send it back to you fedex global overnight at a cost of $140 and you can't refuse the package because they'll just take you collections

they're going to bend your pins or in the case of an AMD motherboard snap pins off inside the socket

that's not even the worst part, they're going to send it back to you fedex global overnight at a cost of $140 and you can't refuse the package because they'll just take you collections

I'm not sure anyone is that sleezy.
but the take-home on any RMA is to always take pictures before boxing up the item. Especially a motherboard. Also with Asus, they will flat out refuse a MB return without the plastic cover on the cpu socket.

Alright so right now I'm waiting on a return label to ship my card back, at which point I should receive either a 7970 or GTX770 as a replacement, depending on what they have available.

As soon as I hear back from ASUS I'll let you guys know.

And let me say I applaud those of you sincerely awaiting an outcome with hanging in there.

Alright so right now I'm waiting on a return label to ship my card back, at which point I should receive either a 7970 or GTX770 as a replacement, depending on what they have available.

And let me say I applaud those of you sincerely awaiting an outcome with hanging in there.

That's great.
I'm glad someone had the good sense to understand your problem and help make it right.
Either one of those cards is a very good replacement.

I'm not going to say ASUS did the right thing here, because it took a pretty remarkable effort to get them to change their initial rejection.

Congrats for standing your ground.:D

Make sure you check the card. ASUS is known for taking borked hardware and returning more borked hardware to the customer. Glad that you're getting a resolution though.

Last edited:

I'm taking pictures before I mail it.

So which mobo maker actually does have decent customer service now? I used to use EVGA, back in the day their return policy was superb, but they went downhill with Peggy from Rajasthan answering calls.

I have been following this thread but not posting. Glad you are getting things resolved.

Good luck!

So which mobo maker actually does have decent customer service now? I used to use EVGA, back in the day their return policy was superb, but they went downhill with Peggy from Rajasthan answering calls.

Gigabyte are my current go to company, they helped where Asus wouldnt.

MSI is a solid company. Intel, if you don't care about too many features and/or overclocking, make some solid and reliable boards too.

An upgrade. That's definitely a step in the right direction. I'll hold all further responses until after you receive the replacement. One never wants to speak too soon.

That's a good question, but it will hijack the thread into a different direction.
There are plenty of threads here asking that same question.

But since this does involve ASUS......They will screw you on MB RMA's in the same fashion as they did the OP on his GPU. There are plenty of examples if you search them out.:(

Never buying anything Asus again if I can help it. Seeing this bs makes me cringe, as at the end I still get the impression Asus thinks they're right in rejecting the RMA but is only begrudgingly do it to avoid further bad PR / goodwill. This is not the right reason to allow an RMA -- will we all need to have 20 page threads with large forums and utilize other contacts just to get a part returned if it's stamped with the letters A-S-U-S ?

Purchasing a 120hz benq instead of asus just because I have a bad taste in my mind from this thread

MSI is a solid company. Intel, if you don't care about too many features and/or overclocking, make some solid and reliable boards too.

Intel is the only one I have used besides supermicro for business machines. Intel just does nice robust boards - just not all the bells and whistles. I am bummed they are getting out of the motherboard business.

Everytime I see the Asus rep Monica respond I always see a bad outcome. I saw a recent similar situation with the same rep claiming customer induced damage on OCN.

Wow, an upgrade! I know some people on here seem to really hate Asus, but at least (all be it 2 months later) this is a tiny step in the right direction. It is still completely unacceptable that it had to be taken this far to get your problem taken care of. Hopefully your new card works forever and you never have to go through this again :D

Just keep us updated.

Wow, an upgrade! I know some people on here seem to really hate Asus, but at least (all be it 2 months later) this is a tiny step in the right direction. It is still completely unacceptable that it had to be taken this far to get your problem taken care of. Hopefully your new card works forever and you never have to go through this again :D

Just keep us updated.

My problem is that, they are still insisting on a minor upgrade, dependent on "what is available"..I just don't think it is enough considering what he had to go through..Asus has TONS of dealers/e-tailers etc that have THOUSANDS of brand new 7970GHZ/670/780 etc in stock..He should have been overnighted a BRAND NEW CARD..

OP, please make sure you go over that card with a fine tooth comb..IF it is used, stress the hell outta that thing the minute you get it..

My problem is that, they are still insisting on a minor upgrade, dependent on "what is available"..I just don't think it is enough considering what he had to go through..Asus has TONS of dealers/e-tailers etc that have THOUSANDS of brand new 7970GHZ/670/780 etc in stock..He should have been overnighted a BRAND NEW CARD..

OP, please make sure you go over that card with a fine tooth comb..IF it is used, stress the hell outta that thing the minute you get it..

You have a good point.
After all the shit this has caused, ASUS is still going to hold true to a warranty replacement, ie whatever we have lying around.

If it was my company, I'd send the guy an apology and a new card. I don't even care I'd it was the same card, but a brand new one with my apology for delay and tactics of my employees.

Reading the thread on OCN, it is almost a carbon copy of this situation.

"Customer-induced-damage" strikes again.

I am starting to believe with ASUS there really is no warranty. You just have to hope whatever you buy works for as long as you need it.:mad:

Thanks for bumping this. This thread needs to be near the top so that we can see what kind of resolution ASUS came up with. Still awaiting OP's update...

Sorry I haven't updated you guys yet but honestly not much has happened. I finally got the shipping label and shipped the card back to ASUS in CA on Tues and it got there yesterday. Once they process it I should hear back and hopefully receive the replacement. I'll email the reps I've been in contact with, it takes a little time to hear back though.

Supposed replacement is too little too late. My next build will purposefully avoid Asus products.

I went through my house and checked all 4 computers (and all components), monitors, routers, etc. etc. I have 8 items total that are made by ASUS. Several drives, two monitors, a router (thats broken), an older 4850 (that doesn't work, not sure why I keep this junk), and a wireless adapter. I didn't realize how many things I owned that were made my ASUS, because I have never really specifically shopped for ASUS products, they were just what was on sale, etc.

I will however be making a conscious effort to NOT buy them in future if possible. I don't want to support a company that shamelessly voids warranties knowing there is little that can be done about it... except for word of mouth and threads like this one. The more I read about them on different websites the more I dislike this company. They make some awesome products, but when the warranty is a complete farce I will spend my money elsewhere.

Back