ASUS RMA Fail

Kano

Limp Gawd
So a few weeks ago I bought an Asus 670 DCU II Edition to compliment my new Overlockable Catleap Q270 120hz 1440p monitor. The card worked fine when I received it. Coming from a 480 it was a huge upgrade. I was running BF3 between 80-100 FPS with mostly everything on Ultra @ 1440p 120hz. Then one night while I was owning at BF3, my screen froze up. The sound started looping and my system crashed. When I started it again I had no video output from the video card. Tested it in another system and I quickly determined that the card had died. Threw my 480 GTX back in and it worked fine. I called Asus the next day and sent it in for an RMA. This is where it gets icky.

About a week later I got the card back, same exact card, popped it in my computer; nothing. Same problem, the fans spin but no video output. I called Asus again, furious this time. The lady on the phone told me she would do an advanced RMA. I would receive a shipping label in an email within 48 hours and once they confirmed I shipped the broken card back they would ship me a new one. Well that was almost two weeks ago. I've called every two days since then and get the same answer: "We are testing a card and you will get an email within 48 hours". I've played phone tag for over an hour trying to talk to someone who could actually help me, but I always end up getting disconnected or get the same answer "48 hours". At this point I can only hope I get a working card sometime this year.

After all this I can't say I would recommend anyone buy an Asus product. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but ASUS's RMA process is hell. I'm going to post this on several different message boards just to make people aware of the trouble they might have to endure.

I have seen a few people actually be worse off than you, on both team green and team red.... Some have waited months hah.

Trust me, I avoided ASUS lol...

After posting this in the Asus forums I got into contact with one of the Admins. He tells me they are bone dry for replacement 670's at the moment. No idea when they'll be in stock either.
It would have been nice if Asus would have just told me this from the beginning. But no they'd rather tell me how they're "testing" a card for me.

I'm going to try to talk them into letting me upgrade to a 680, but I don't have my hopes up. My understanding is the 680's have a lower failure rate.

Ever since my 460 gtx gave me problems from like 3 years ago. I promised that I will never buy Asus products ever again. I hope you get it resolved and just sell it and get yourself EVGA instead.

The clock problem with the ASUS 670 TOP would be the culprit on this most likely.

Last edited:
Isn't this the SECOND time now this has happened?!
I've sent the card once for repairs and received it in the same condition, not working. It's like they took it out of the box I sent it in and put it in a different box, then claimed they repaired it.
Also this is not the TOP edition, just the regular DCU II.

I've sent the card once for repairs and received it in the same condition, not working. It's like they took it out of the box I sent it in and put it in a different box, then claimed they repaired it.
Also this is not the TOP edition, just the regular DCU II.

I meant them running out of 670 non TOP cards. If you read Newegg's reviews for the card, you'll see what I mean.

Been there done that.... X1900XT, 1st RMA same card returned, 2nd RMA bad replacement card, 3rd RMA finally decided to send me a brand new X1950XT.

8800GTX, 1st RMA same card returned, 2nd RMA finally got a working card.. sigh

I don't order anything from places other then MSI/Evga/BIOSTAR/Antec . Basically Businesses with known good RMA'S . I have to say if they ran out couldn't they just Give ur money back or upgrade to 680 so u could either have a new card incoming or have money to buy from a more promising business.

Anyone else notice that its damn near impossible with today's GPU limitations to run 1440p @ 120fps?

Not that they can't do it, moreso that they are technically unable to.

Anyways - back on topic. My recent experience with Asus was really quite great. I stayed on top of them, calling them to verify every step as it passed by. I was without the 670 for 2 weeks and 3 days total.

I have been lucky with ASUS RMA but I've noticed that the three (3) ASUS MBs I have are all faulty/quirky in some way and one has died on me.

I also had an ASUS laptop die on me within 30-days so at least I could RMA with Newegg instead of ASUS.

Basically ASUS products have been 50/50 in reliability to me.

Anyone else notice that its damn near impossible with today's GPU limitations to run 1440p @ 120fps?

Anyways - back on topic. My recent experience with Asus was really quite great. I stayed on top of them, calling them to verify every step as it passed by. I was without the 670 for 2 weeks and 3 days total.

New games like BF3 I have to tweak a lot to get running close to 120 FPS. But I had the game looking and running very well just before the card died.

They probably would have sent me a card by now if they had any replacement cards in stock. It's been over a month now since the card originally died and I started the RMA process.

I have been lucky with ASUS RMA but I've noticed that the three (3) ASUS MBs I have are all faulty/quirky in some way and one has died on me.

I also had an ASUS laptop die on me within 30-days so at least I could RMA with Newegg instead of ASUS.

Basically ASUS products have been 50/50 in reliability to me.
That's a completely unacceptable ratio. While that may not be the case for everyone, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that isn't far off.

I sell and work with a lot of Asus products, and have a much higher success rate with their products than most other brands I work with. That being said, when something does go wrong, Asus has been the worst company to work with. Usually, it takes me a couple months to get something rma'd (they don't answer their phones/rma system is down/replacement parts not available/etc).

On one of my rma's, 3 of the 7 calls I had to make were because I never received the email with the rma information. Eventually they discovered they typo'd/couldn't spell "gmail". And of course during this entire process they refused to give me the information I wanted over the phone, and insisted I wait for the e-mail.

All of this being said, despite lousy service, I still like the design and features and reliability of Asus products. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. If they got their service issues under control, I would be a huge Asus fanboy.

You will have to explain what you mean on this one :p

My 670 sits at 140FPS in most games I play on my 1440p monitor. Admittedly, I don't play BF3.

You will have to explain what you mean on this one :p

My 670 sits at 140FPS in most games I play on my 1440p monitor. Admittedly, I don't play BF3.

Its a bandwith thing - mostly to do with the monitor, but its all good. Probably not what he meant anyways.

My 670 drives my Overclocked Catleap at 120Hz just fine. The GPU tech is there, although I'm stuck on old drivers because the new ones suck (although they are supposed to improve GW2 performance... :()

My 7950 does it as well, but I have to use custom-modded drivers :(. At least I can do that with AMD, since NV drivers are substantially harder to edit to my knowledge.

Dual-Link DVI has plenty of bandwidth (not to mention displayport!), and GPU's have perfectly capable components that will drive the resolution. The issue is, nobody wants to support it. The technology is easily there.

My 670 drives my Overclocked Catleap at 120Hz just fine. The GPU tech is there, although I'm stuck on old drivers because the new ones suck (although they are supposed to improve GW2 performance... :()

My 7950 does it as well, but I have to use custom-modded drivers :(. At least I can do that with AMD, since NV drivers are substantially harder to edit to my knowledge.

Dual-Link DVI has plenty of bandwidth (not to mention displayport!), and GPU's have perfectly capable components that will drive the resolution. The issue is, nobody wants to support it. The technology is easily there.

We're just ahead of the curve Sn0. ;)
But I was reading on the Tweakforce forums that right now some of the best drivers for the 670 are quadro drivers with a modded inf (so that they work with the 6-series). I may check those out if I ever get a working 670.

If they don't have your particular card in stock, they need to give you something better, e.g. a 680. It is completely unacceptable to make a customer wait for inventory. I'm glad I didn't buy any ASUS products for my current PC build.

Back