ASUS motherboard RMA [N]IGHT[M]ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

colepinter

n00b
So first off, im going to say that I have maybe made one post on this forum since i joined it. I am more of a lurker than a poster. Im that guy in the trees lookin in on women through their bedroom windows. Now that I got that out of the way time to post my RMA issues with Asus and warn any potential buyers about their service and boards.
So I bought a crosshair iv extreme less than two years ago.
I find it will support AM3+, I buy a chip not long after its released. I wait for a final bios to support AM3+ (we only had beta support) but it never comes. Other 890fx chipset boards have full AM3+ support with fix for microcode... why not asus?? sure sounds like some kind of scam to me, to get us to buy their newer 990fx boards !!...so then... the onboard audio stopped working. They told me they would give me a advanced RMA. I give them credit card number, days later im expecting the board instead i get a phone call saying that they have none in the warehouse and i would have to just mail them the broken one. No can do, its my only gaming rig, so i buy a sound card instead........So im using the sound card, and wait 3 more months or so... STILL ONLY BETA BIOS SUPPORT FOR AM3+ and more and more games are crashing when they get updated, and the only way to get them to stop crashing is to use Orochi-CEG which isnt a solution to my problem you know?? Last time they updated this boards bios is in 2011 !!! They obviously ditched their loyal customers who spent loads of cash on their premium top notch board.
So I get mad at asus because of their bad customer support, and non-sense... I buy a ASrock board that supports AM3+, and take out the Crosshair IV extreme, and get it ready for a regular RMA, when removing my cpu i got a smear of thermal grease on the cpu socket.... Oh this is the good part.... Its a white socket. AM3+ isnt. you wouldnt even see a thermal grease stain on the black socket, it wouldnt stain you know... Oh this is where it gets real good.... I send this board back, i wait more than 10 days (they say 10 days to get a NEW BOARD OUT TO ME) after my wait, they send me a email asking for 217 dollars for a repair, or else they are sending me back my old board, because there is water damage !!!! so im thinking what water damage??? There is a attachment to the email, and its a picture of my cpu socket with the thermal grease stain on it !!!!
Yes, so a grey stain on the cpu socket from thermal grease is water damage.
Because AM3 is a white socket (some support AM3+) and its very easy to get a stain on...
But they wouldnt even notice it on a black socket.
Real brilliant.... What you guys think of my horror story with these twats ?

They supposedly just changed their warranty to cover "accidents" too.

Chiploco Article

IGABYTE took the first step and they’ll be increasing warranty period up to 4 years by the end of the year. They’ll not only fix motherboards free of cost if something goes wrong on their part but they’ll also try to fix the motherboards for free even if its user’s fault.

ASUS, following the GIGABYTE’s lead, will not only increase the warranty period but they’ll also fix motherboards if damaged is caused by user and if the product is not repairable then they’ll replace it for free along with free pick up and delivery.

I think that was absolutely horrible to read.

for the parts I could make sense of,it seems you should have cleaned up the board a bit better for sending it in.

what you bought was a 890fx that supports Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series chips,ASUS puts out a BETA bios,with BETA support only,as stated on their website,that MAY work for AM3+ chips.

You got what you paid for,a motherboard that works fine with the chips that it was designed to.I don't see the issue here.

Yeah I feel like you should have tried to clean up the stain with alcohol or something before RMA, now you'll probably have to argue with some supervisor type to get your approval.

On the upside of RMAs at least refurbished mobos can be had cheap at places like Geeks. I just ordered a $149 CHV this morning, hopefully it was either not actually broken or they fixed it.

P.S> First post here, greetings and salutations everyone! :)

I did clean it with alcohol.
The socket is white.
It left a grey stain across it
Sorry if you had a hard time reading my post, I was angry when typing and not thinking clearly.
And no. It stated it WOULD SUPPORT AM3+
Thats why I bought one
It didnt say "we are only giving beta support".. there are many 890fx boards with am3+ support..
This is just asus way of forcing people to buy their new 990fx boards.

Back to my crosshair iv board..... like i stated, its a grey stain on the cpu socket obviously thermal grease. Last i checked thermal grease cant cause "water damage" as asus is claiming.
Sounds like me just a way to get out of a rma... A thermal grease stain on the socket also wouldnt cause the onboard audio to stop working. From my google search it appears many asus boards have problems with onboard audio.
Can no on see why I would be upset at asus here ?

Is this the same board that you baked and had under water?

Also,could you post the pictures that they sent you?

It would be easier to see where you are coming from with some visuals.

Back