3dfx Voodoo 5 6000

Sucks.

Without knowing what was there, or having a second board as a reference, you can't be sure what component values to put back in those positions. Most of them are caps, but I'm not sure what "FBx" is, possibly fuses?

You can risk going by what caps are nearby for values. You may get lucky and have it work. The worst I've ever had happen was on a video card where the GPU went thermonuclear with the wrong value cap. It was a weird dual head Rage 128 (not a Fury MAXX), one of the SMD caps had broken off from being tossed in a box. I found what I thought was an equivalent cap and soldered it on, the second it was powered up the GPU it was in circuit with got cherry red hot and started boiling with fire and smoke. I shut it off quick and removed the cap, but it was done. Strangely the second Rage 128 still worked and I just used it as normal single chip card.

Looking back now, I think what may have happened is the replacement cap may have been shorted, multi-layer ceramic SMD capacitors are extremely fragile and any minor insult can cause them to fail. If you look at the pics of your board, you can see fragments left of some of the capacitors. You'd have to get new ones for replacing those, putting the old ones back on would probably cause things to blow up.

definitely not going to risk the 6000 in a dodgy motherboard

Guess you bought the EPoX as untested then. Should be easy enough to find a working socket A board. An nForce2 would be cool. Though those usually command higher prices than VIA based ones.

Reactions: erek
like this
any missing capacitors or resistors?

gpm324Y.jpg

looks fine to me. if GB? did the rework on it I would assume he scoured every mm of it.

like this
any missing capacitors or resistors?

It looks fine, but I wouldn't trust those SMD caps. I had to replace all of them on my V5 5500, more than half were bad. Luckily the V5 6000 only has two SMD electrolytics instead of a dozen or so sprinkled all over the 5500.

If you do plan on using the card, I would definitely figure out a way to brace the card to prevent it from flexing. While it does use leaded solder instead of ROHS crap and is less prone to BGA failures, it is still subject to mechanical stress. Even a carefully cut length of stick on the end of the card is better than letting it hang from just the AGP slot.

If you want me to have a go at repairing that EPoX board, let me know.

It looks fine, but I wouldn't trust those SMD caps. I had to replace all of them on my V5 5500, more than half were bad. Luckily the V5 6000 only has two SMD electrolytics instead of a dozen or so sprinkled all over the 5500.

If you do plan on using the card, I would definitely figure out a way to brace the card to prevent it from flexing. While it does use leaded solder instead of ROHS crap and is less prone to BGA failures, it is still subject to mechanical stress. Even a carefully cut length of stick on the end of the card is better than letting it hang from just the AGP slot.

If you want me to have a go at repairing that EPoX board, let me know.
a bamboo skewer makes a good prop rod.

upload_2018-9-22_17-49-21.png

this is the best pic of what is supposed to be the 8k3a backside I could find. not sure if it will help, not very high res...

Last edited:
like this
Unfortunately SMD ceramic capacitors almost never have markings on them. They'd have to be removed from the board and tested with a capacitance tester to be sure what they were.

The only thing I could do is measure the capacitance of nearby caps that look like they perform similar functions and replace the missing ones with those.

As for the fuses, those would probably have to be bought, I doubt I have anything like those in my scrap board pile.

Unfortunately SMD ceramic capacitors almost never have markings on them. They'd have to be removed from the board and tested with a capacitance tester to be sure what they were.
ah so no it doesn't. I tried :)

like this
the sad bit for me is that I know that there used to be at least a dozen of those floating around my town, 'cause i built systems with them. not the voodoo though, never personally saw one of those 6000s.

like this
Looking over eBay for these:

"Asus P4S533-E (SiS645dx) Rev. 1.04 (BIOS 1006 and 1008Beta tested) compatible Rev.A 3700
ASUS P3B-F (i440BX, v1.04): compatible (tested BIOS up to 1006, higher BIOS versions result in no-vga beep) Rev.A3 3400
EPoX EP-BX3 Rev.A2 2600, Rev.A3 3400, Rev.A 3700 & Rev.A 3900 compatible
EPoX EP-8K3A Rev. 1.0 - 1.2 Rev.A0 0700, Rev.A1 1500, Rev.A2 2600, Rev.A3 3400 Rev.A 3700 & Rev.A 3900 compatible
EPoX EP-8K3A+ Rev. 1.0 - 1.2 Rev.A0 0700, Rev.A1 1500, Rev.A2 2600, Rev.A3 3400 Rev.A 3700 & Rev.A 3900 compatible
EPoX EP-8K5A2+ Rev. 1.2 Rev.A2 2600 & Rev.A 3700 compatible
EPoX EP-8K5A3+ Rev. 1.1 Rev.A2 2600 & Rev.A 3700 compatible
EPoX EP-8KHA VIA Apollo KT266(A) compatible Rev.A 3700"

Source: https://forums.evga.com/3dfx-Voodoo...-I-did-for-the-3dfx-communities-m2185131.aspx

Found an EPoX EP-8K5A3+, but costing an arm and a leg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epox-EP-8K...056249?hash=item41d518f2b9:g:I-oAAOSwaEhZJnpn

Currently working the Returns process for that Dead 8K3A (non-plus) board.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I found the budget version of the P4S533-E, which is the P4S533-VM for about $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113095093347

There are likely a bunch of boards which work with the V5 6000 other than those. You'd just have to do the hint bridge test where you keep a finger on it while powering on and have your hand near the PSU switch if it starts getting excessively hot.

I found my Voodoo 5500 and EPoX 8K3A+ different times at the good will outlets. Paid 2 bucks ea
also found a p4 engineering sample extreme edition on the motherboard.. free of charge with the ram lol

Everything works great.. I have quite a collection of older retro computer stuff.. They will never be emulated perfectly and so will sound cards.

my most recent find is a turbo graphx 16 , docking station and CD for 2 bucks.

i just ordered the power adapter through radio shack and tested today and it worked. Now i just need the controller but those can cost 35 bucks :(

The power adapter on the docking station is ultra rare and can cost 40-100 bucks. Luckily through some research radio shack online had the power adapter for 20 bucks. I could sell it but i guess i would never have one again since they are ultra rare.
Everyone hold onto those Voodoo cards even if it is just a 3000 version which i have found many of them at goodwill outlet. nglide emulation is not perfect.

Last edited:
like this
I found the budget version of the P4S533-E, which is the P4S533-VM for about $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113095093347

There are likely a bunch of boards which work with the V5 6000 other than those. You'd just have to do the hint bridge test where you keep a finger on it while powering on and have your hand near the PSU switch if it starts getting excessively hot.

wonder if there are differences big enough between the E and VM to be concerned enough

like this
wonder if there are differences big enough between the E and VM to be concerned enough

The chipsets are slightly different (SiS 645DX for -E vs SiS 651 for -VM), the only real difference seems to be the 651 has a SiS 315 IGP. Both chipsets can use the same southbridge chips (SiS 962/962L) and support the same CPUs.

theres also an "X" version for about $40. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P4S53...070972&hash=item5b4b60e3b1:g:4U0AAOSwftZbevuj
ask for pics of caps for anything this age though. another one I saw would need them all redone. these are from right in the middle of the cap fiasco, if I remember right.

That board won't work with any Voodoo5, it has an AGP 4x/8x keyed slot.

some x-3dfx group members with a reference 8K3A+ are going to attempt a repair on my 8K3A (non-plus).. also someone may be donating an EPoX 8KHA including CPU after recapping and testing the board thoroughly... so looks like i'm getting some help and options

Additional good news, the seller accepted my Partial Refund request so i can repair the board !!!

"The seller has now refunded $XX.94 to your original payment method.You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can keep the item."

some x-3dfx group members with a reference 8K3A+ are going to attempt a repair on my 8K3A (non-plus).. also someone may be donating an EPoX 8KHA including CPU after recapping and testing the board thoroughly... so looks like i'm getting some help and options

Looks like everything is working out.

My V5 5500 motherboard died a few days ago due to a series of unfortunate events that lead to a corrupt BIOS. I'll be too poor for awhile to replace it.

Looks like everything is working out.

My V5 5500 motherboard died a few days ago due to a series of unfortunate events that lead to a corrupt BIOS. I'll be too poor for awhile to replace it.

:( :(

I have an ASUS TULS2-C w/ PIII 1.4GHz that depending on how things work out here, might be willing to donate perhaps?

I have an ASUS TULS2-C w/ PIII 1.4GHz that depending on how things work out here, might be willing to donate perhaps?

Thanks for the offer, but I have a similar situation as you where I need a very specific motherboard to run my 5500.

It needs to be a Pentium 4 motherboard with a universal AGP slot, like the P4S533-VM that I listed above. Reason that I need a Pentium 4 is because I need SSE2 support. I have several other boards which can run the V5 5500, but they're Athlons or Pentium 3s and don't have SSE2.

like this
The Voodoo 5500 AGP was the first piece of "kit" that I ever got and started me down the path of computers and PC gaming (along with the rest the my first system, who's specs I still remember). This thread makes me so very happy. :)

like this
"
[10:11 AM]
H_Rush:
also, v6000 doesn't work on TUSL(
"

(ASUS TUSL2-C motherboard is a no-go, which i own... someone else tested on theirs)

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit late to stumble across this thread, but man, congrats on finally finding your holy grail erek !

I have no memory of the pre-geforce GPU's, I wasn't quite old enough yet :( Pretty sure this was my first GPU back when I was 9-10 or so.

That Q3 Arena pic in your OP really takes me back...

Great thread, and GL on the build/rebuild/repair!

like this
Update, the EPoX 8K3A (non-plus) has touched down in Australia today and getting closer to being repaired!

"September 28, 2018, 4:51 pm
Departed
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
Your item departed a transfer airport in METROPOLITAN AREA, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA on September 28, 2018 at 4:51 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. "

what do you all think of running a Voodoo5 series on Windows XP? are the reverse engineered drivers horrible?

this guy here ran Q3A with WinXP, but didn't demonstrate any other games, and i guess the Voodoo5 6000 drivers even on Win9x were Alpha at best:

My v5 5500 works *alright* on Windows XP. The only major issue I have had was programs expecting Direct X 8/9 hardware not functioning properly.

like this
Even more damage discovered to my 8K3A (non-plus) !

The Bad News - 6 Missing SMD Capacitors - All Capacitors are original Teapo branded which suck

43134806_253872225310356_6729780592495296512_n.jpg

43016079_306773160122153_3169568388502519808_n.jpg

43045083_751091565230220_5386570733637861376_n.jpg

42977570_2024442917598849_5839807830541991936_n.jpg

call me a stupid head but is there no compatible alternative for the teapo caps?

like this
Back