3dfx Voodoo 5 6000

wanna buy your past ? ..think i still have a 3dfx v3 2000 and 3000 here make me an offer ..was sad the day my Abit geforce 2 gts died in a system built and i sold to a friend and he brought the PC back .. was a 64 meg model ..he let that single GPU fan cake up with DUST ..killed the whole PC ..it was sold clean and was kept clean here for over 3 yrs ..but i never sold my voodoo cards ..think i still have a voodoo 2 diamond black magic card lying about too .. its PCI ..dunno if it works

pretty sure the v 3 3000 is still in a p3 300 system in my storage space ..whats it worth to you ?

I'm interested, however I'm a little short on surplus funds to pump towards my retro setups ATM - This hobby costs me a fortune. PM me a starting point (I assume US$?) and I'll see if I can justify it ATM. I don't want to offend you with some stupid, lowball offer.

Reactions: erek
like this
I used to have a VIA based Super Socket 7 board with AMD K6-III. I have to say I had issues with it, it was flaky as all hell. However I honestly wish I still had it and I'd never give anyone flak for owning one now, they're a great retro gaming setup.

I bought it to test old CPU's. Almost everything used that socket back then.

Currently changed to a p3/440bx setup, but in the ss7 I ran a k6-2 450.

First part of the puzzle arrived, capacitors look all right

What are those? G.Luxon, Teapo, L-Tec?

I don't expect them to last very long, but you could be lucky.

Now that you have a V5 6000, you'll have to start working on a Spectre. There were apparently a small handful of them floating about.

That isn't the via chipset that had the issue with corrupting hard drives is it? I remember that issue with one of them, went to an nforce instead back in the day after having one personally give me a lot of grief.

The corruption was a result of incompatibility with Sound Blaster Live! cards. Took people awhile to figure that out and VIA still never offered a fix.

like this
Hey Kyle, do you still have the failed Pentium 3 Cumine 1.13 slot 1 with the massive slab of copper for a cooler or did you have to hand that back?

Grats erek

What's your next holy grail? :)

It's Blasphemy for me to consider anything beyond the 6000 currently and or as close to "The Holy Grail". bothers me to even accept the notion of moving on to something else "already"... i haven't even remotely had time to appreciate the 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 as it's still shipping to me. I also can't understand those 3dfx collectors who have TEN of these... how can you not appreciate just a SINGLE one of these? most people may never even see one in real life, let alone hold a single one...

i just want to take a lot of time and appreciate and revere the chance i was given to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity...

---

currently in the process of gathering all of the proper pieces to build a Compatible Retro Rig that won't destroy the fragile card based around the EPoX 8K3A (non-plus), AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2x 512MB DDR266, and possibly an IBM 75GXP

(Forge)

dexvx

Wish-List :

Video cards

• S3 GammaChrome S18 Pro or Nitro

• BitBoys Glaze3D / Pyramid3D

• Trident Blade XP 9980 128-bit

• ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Prototype)

• Intel Larrabee (Aubrey Isles - Knights Ferry (KNF))

• Hercules 3D Prophet 4800 / Kyro II SE

Sound Boards

• MicroProse “The Entertainer”

• Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 GOLD II CT4560

• Gravis UltraSound

• AdLib (Original / Authentic)
  • Aureal SQ3500 t

Adaptors

• Albatron ATOP AGP to PCIE Adapter

Software

• Intel MPSS 1.0 or 2.0 with KNF Support

Last edited:
The caps on my board are already dead?? :'(
Probably means they are on the bad cap list. In my experience they can bulge and leak just from sitting. On parts that were never used. Moreover, I have seen boards and components with bulging & leaking caps that still work fine. Or, caps can fail with no visible defects at all. Would love to know how many billions worldwide that "capacitor plague" cost manufacturers and consumers.

like this
Probably means they are on the bad cap list. In my experience they can bulge and leak just from sitting. On parts that were never used. Moreover, I have seen boards and components with bulging & leaking caps that still work fine. Or, caps can fail with no visible defects at all. Would love to know how many billions worldwide that "capacitor plague" cost manufacturers and consumers.

Well I can tell you from experience with old MSI and Gigabyte mobos, that some of my clients still will not purchase from them due to that fiasco.
And let's not forget the "Fuhjyyu Incident" w/ Channel Well OEM'ed Antec Trupower/Smartpower PSU's, and no it wasn't just the fan controller causing their early deaths, but it sure did help.

like this
It's Blasphemy for me to consider anything beyond the 6000 currently and or as close to "The Holy Grail". bothers me to even accept the notion of moving on to something else "already"... i haven't even remotely had time to appreciate the 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 as it's still shipping to me. I also can't understand those 3dfx collectors who have TEN of these... how can you not appreciate just a SINGLE one of these? most people may never even see one in real life, let alone hold a single one...

i just want to take a lot of time and appreciate and revere the chance i was given to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity...

---

currently in the process of gathering all of the proper pieces to build a Compatible Retro Rig that won't destroy the fragile card based around the EPoX 8K3A (non-plus), AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2x 512MB DDR266, and possibly an IBM 75GXP

(Forge)

my-precious.jpg

like this
Well I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 2x 512MB DDR266 arriving tomorrow so I can at least attempt to test out this EPoX 8K3A (non-plus) motherboard

Well I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 2x 512MB DDR266 arriving tomorrow so I can at least attempt to test out this EPoX 8K3A (non-plus) motherboard

Erek, I have a question for you. can you contact me by email?

like this
This seems to be the case. I looked for a PM button. Can't seem to find one. Can I post my email here?

like this
I'm always up to no good. No I have not made love to another man. Basically I just was wondering if someone was interested in some hardware. After reading a few threads here, I thought I would ask and see.
In regards to secrecy, it's just a larrabee.

Don't be shy and post some pictures of that thing.

like this
Also, an update on the 3dfx voodoo 5 6000 shipping :

September 21, 2018, 8:59 am
Inbound Out of Customs
Your item cleared United States Customs at 8:59 am on September 21, 2018.

GiGaBiTe

This EPoX 8K3A is Toast

Sucks.

Without knowing what was there, or having a second board as a reference, you can't be sure what component values to put back in those positions. Most of them are caps, but I'm not sure what "FBx" is, possibly fuses?

You can risk going by what caps are nearby for values. You may get lucky and have it work. The worst I've ever had happen was on a video card where the GPU went thermonuclear with the wrong value cap. It was a weird dual head Rage 128 (not a Fury MAXX), one of the SMD caps had broken off from being tossed in a box. I found what I thought was an equivalent cap and soldered it on, the second it was powered up the GPU it was in circuit with got cherry red hot and started boiling with fire and smoke. I shut it off quick and removed the cap, but it was done. Strangely the second Rage 128 still worked and I just used it as normal single chip card.

Looking back now, I think what may have happened is the replacement cap may have been shorted, multi-layer ceramic SMD capacitors are extremely fragile and any minor insult can cause them to fail. If you look at the pics of your board, you can see fragments left of some of the capacitors. You'd have to get new ones for replacing those, putting the old ones back on would probably cause things to blow up.

like this
Back