3dfx Voodoo 5 6000

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by erek, Sep 12, 2018.

1. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

The 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 was tested successfully and is being prepared to ship to me:

Attached Files:

2. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

neat card .. still have my voodoo 5 5500 in one of my old P3 machines with a Intel 933 MHZ SLOT 1 CPU and a wopping 256meg of ram with Win 98 and i think 2... 2 gig WD drives .. wonder if it still boots ? it did last time i took it out a yr ago to play some old rom games and some good old games i never play anymore like the original Unreal and Unreal tournament ..ahh i miss the voodoo days ..but even back then good vid cards were expensive ..never thought of buying a 6000 ..hell back then it cost more then the car i drove :lol

erek likes this.
  3. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

4. auntjemima

auntjemima Hand Jobs Legend

I'm glad you finally found the holy grail you have been looking for!

erek likes this.
  5. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

6. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Thank you, it was hard to ever consider actually finding one available seriously much less actually committing to the price associated with such a card. i don't know what got into me entirely, but it was random, sudden, and spur of the moment.

i made some sort of half baked commitment in my mind to be more proactive toward maybe buying one, so i googled "voodoo 5 6000 for sale"

i landed on this within the first few results: http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/viewtopic.php?t=301

Honestly i had no expectations but noticed a public e-mail address for "Markus" and just asked if he still had it available... somehow he did

7. auntjemima

Jesus Christ. 3000 euros.

8. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

9. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

How I'd love one of these for my Pentium 3 build, sigh. :(

erek likes this.
  10. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Need specific motherboards to make sure it doesn't fry : " the HiNT bridge which is the biggest death cause for the Voodoo 5 6000 cards in the world. On some motherboards this chip can be destroyed by a short-circuit during the boot process and this kills the whole card."

EPoX 8K3A+ seems to be the preferred platform (Athlon XP)

11. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

12. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Revision 0700 I heard, the earliest samples known, thank you for sharing... knew you had one but never saw it before recently.

N4CR and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  13. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

erek likes this.
  14. VoodooRufus

VoodooRufus n00bie

What kind of rig are you going to plug it in to?

erek likes this.
  15. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

So far I have purchased an EPoX 8K3A (non-plus) motherboard, and someone was donating and AMD Athlon XP 2400+ / Ram. At the moment it seems like Windows 98SE... I don't even have a PATA HDD though

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  16. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

So in dreamland, if I was to slot one of these cards into an i815EP Gigabyte GA-60XET motherboard complete with a Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.2S and a decent PSU, would my platform potentially kill the card?

erek likes this.
  17. Forge

Forge n00bie

Hard to say. Not many cards around to test with, and it's ugly to plug a ~3.5-4K$ card into an unknown mobo and just see if it blows up. There are a significant number of Intel chipsets in the "no vga beep" group, so not great odds.

erek, auntjemima and Mazzspeed like this.
  18. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

I wonder whether Kyle's ever used his prized example or whether it's just too risky to even try? It'd be downright heartbreaking if you inadvertently destroyed it.

erek likes this.
  19. evilpaul

evilpaul Limp Gawd

Those had a thing with the AGP connector not checking if it was getting 3.3V or 5V, hence the explosion, didn't they? Let us know how Quake III Test looks with anti-aliasing and motion blue. ;)

erek likes this.
  20. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

I have a few IDE drives kicking about if you need one, just pay shipping. I'll have to spin some of them up to verify their condition, most have been sitting in drive piles for years.

The AGP bus never had 5 volts, it had 3.3v (AGP 1x/2x), 1.5v (4x/8x) and 0.8v (8x). Both the V5 5500 and V5 6000 are AGP 2x cards but don't take advantage of any AGP features and essentially treat it like a 66 MHz PCI slot. This caused much bemoaning of 3dfx fans back in the day because AGP 4x/8x was on the horizon and wasn't compatible due to the voltage and mechanical key. There were "universal" AGP slots which could generally accept all AGP cards, but these were usually only on low end junk motherboards and had compatibility issues. In my quest to get my V5 5500 running on a Pentium 4, I had to get such a board and its limitations prevent faster P4s from being used. The fastest the board supports is a 3.06 GHz Northwood HT or a 2.8A GHz Northwood without HT.

There have been reports from the very brave that you can carefully cut the pins where the 4x/8x notch is supposed to go on a V5 5500 and it is *supposed* to work, but I dare not try. Apparently there are traces running inside the PCB near the top of the AGP connector, so cutting too far kills the card. I'd rather ruin several motherboards swapping the physical AGP connector out and never trying this.

erek likes this.
  21. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Hopefully this 8K3A pans out, otherwise you'll be hearing from me :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S8B1-EPOX-...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

22. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

I don't think I'd ever pay MSRP for a 16 year old board.

23. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Mazzspeed likes this.
  24. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

Retro computing is increasing in popularity, an unfortunate side effect of this is the fact that Retro hardware is now very expensive.

But there is something special about reliving the good old days on real hardware that emulation just can't touch.

25. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

The price of a V5 6000 is quickly reaching the level of being able to design and manufacture a new V5 6000 from scratch. There is still a small stock of VSA-100 chips available so it's definitely possible.

N4CR and erek like this.
  26. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

what about the prices of the nVidia GeForce FX 5800 Ultras? over 2,000 USD at one point. any comments on that one?

27. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

That card was COVERED with reworks when I got it. I cleaned it up to hand it on the wall. I bet I cut off 100 reworks. Looked like a rat's nest of wires. I would guess that it does not work. That card sample was one of the first ever built. When NVIDIA bought 3dfx, it was found in a closet, and one of the guys at NVIDIA, that previously worked at 3dfx, handed it off to me.

28. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Gawd

The GF FX 5800 is a vastly more complex chip, it'd be far more expensive to make and you'd need to find trays of old GPUs, which probably aren't floating around.

erek likes this.
  29. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

Just Quadro FX 2000s, etc, but those are roll of the dice if they can hit 500 MHz from those NV30 chips

30. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

That's some amazing history

31. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

erek You finally got one.

Well done, sir. (y)

auntjemima and erek like this.
  32. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

"Ma Xucla
    9:30 AM (6 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    to me

Hello, dont be nervous. All correct.

Package is sent using a fast delivery but carrier gone since package needed a telephone number. Carrier from spanish postal will come tomorrow and package will be in route but now package is on spanish postal service.

Pity, since I did not know nothing about telephone number.

It costed me 100Euros for fast delivery but sadly until tomorrow package will be not in move. Perhaps in 2-3 days package will be there. :)"

33. erek

erek [H]ard|Gawd

First part of the puzzle arrived, capacitors look all right

GiGaBiTe

upload_2018-9-13_17-14-46.png

34. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

What a fascinating piece of history to own! I loved the 3dfx days. The last 3dfx card I ever owned was a Voodoo 3 3000 before I switched to a GeForce 2 GTS in the early 2000s, I really wish I still had that Voodoo 3.

erek likes this.
  35. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

That isn't the via chipset that had the issue with corrupting hard drives is it? I remember that issue with one of them, went to an nforce instead back in the day after having one personally give me a lot of grief.

36. auntjemima

37. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

My only slice of the 3dfx history is the Voodoo Banshee I have stuck in the AMD Thunderbird system I repurposed for my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, Arizona weather is not conducive to running the inferno so it's retired but still put together. I bet it still works...

erek likes this.
  38. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

I liked my via chipset boards. never had a prob and the 4in1s made it easy. had a duron 600 do 1133 on via.

erek likes this.
  39. auntjemima

I'm totally with you. It was more tongue in cheek because the last time I showed pictures of my super socket 7 board with a VIA chipset I got nothing but flak lol

I also had a VIA chipset on my 1.4tbird in 2001 on the dreaded ECS K7S5A. A board that I had not a single issue with, but was apparently notorious for problems.

pendragon1 and erek like this.
  40. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

wanna buy your past ? ..think i still have a 3dfx v3 2000 and 3000 here make me an offer ..was sad the day my Abit geforce 2 gts died in a system built and i sold to a friend and he brought the PC back .. was a 64 meg model ..he let that single GPU fan cake up with DUST ..killed the whole PC ..it was sold clean and was kept clean here for over 3 yrs ..but i never sold my voodoo cards ..think i still have a voodoo 2 diamond black magic card lying about too .. its PCI ..dunno if it works

pretty sure the v 3 3000 is still in a p3 300 system in my storage space ..whats it worth to you ?

erek likes this.