• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$2500 5090 I’m out

Nvidia has done a great job at killing off the xx80 series, I guess they want to make the xx90 series the new flagship. I'm so glad I decided to get a new Alienware OLED monitor instead and skip this series altogether. Gaming isn't that important to me to make me spend stupid money for a for a GPU. At 57 I'd rather throw in the towel and give it up, or even go with a lesser card and dumb down my graphic settings. Right now my 4080 is fine, especially if it's going to be able to use DLSS 4 as well.
 
Nvidia has done a great job at killing off the xx80 series, I guess they want to make the xx90 series the new flagship. I'm so glad I decided to get a new Alienware OLED monitor instead and skip this series altogether. Gaming isn't that important to me to make me spend stupid money for a for a GPU. At 57 I'd rather throw in the towel and give it up, or even go with a lesser card and dumb down my graphic settings. Right now my 4080 is fine, especially if it's going to be able to use DLSS 4 as well.
If that's true, then why is the 5090 almost impossible to buy? Microcenter is getting less than 250 total while the Tustin location alone is getting 200 5080s.
 
there's a lot of room in between the 5080 and 5090 so waiting a year or so for the inevitable Super or Ti versions seems like the best bet
 
No, there is apparently something called smooth motion, only supported on 5000 cards. Guess what that is? Frame gen for games without DLSS:

1085153_1738249426936.webp


It's hard for me to not buy a 5000 card now. But I really don't like upgrading hardware with such paltry uplift and no efficiency gain.

This is weird though, you'd expect nvidia to have mentioned this feature before? It would make their marketing claims mostly true, instead of absolute bollocks.
 
there's a lot of room in between the 5080 and 5090 so waiting a year or so for the inevitable Super or Ti versions seems like the best bet
That’s what’s so ass about this launch. You’re waiting another year to get 4090 performance, a card that’ll be 3+years old by then.
 
there is apparently something called smooth motion,
Frame gen support for game without native support was somewhat talked about during launch interviews, but I am not sure they had the marketing term or the drivers ready for the reviews.

The download link for NV broadcast changed 2 time today I think, drivers went from 571.8x->572.12->572.16 this week it feel like, people are working during the night at Nvidia I would imagine... .

Tis good to recall how we got here (here being crazy prices).
Wonder what it would look like the price-performance when compare for the price of transistor evolution (seem that it peaked around 2019, without sign yet to ever get cheaper):

es%2Faf58709b-42ed-4316-ac55-dbdd99c1a7ee_1600x857.png
es%2Fb6618fa2-48a4-480a-b0af-4a22642fe3c0_1462x786.png


Between 2019 and now, I wonder from memory, transistor, PCB, metal for the cooler, what would have become cheaper per performance/transistor to make cards... could need an x3d cache type of innovation to turn things around (or an Intel competitor that provoke a crash in margin), TSMC 2N sound like it could be great for performance, will see if it does anything for price/performance.
 
Last edited:
I wasnt going to wait in line at microcenter but was able to snag a FE from bestbuy.
 
Wow, I said I was gonna not upgrade. Lo and behold, I didn't for the first time in a long time on launch day. I am proud of myself, lol.
You probably had no choice considering the lack of inventory

I said the same but still checked BB for a 5090. Told myself if I get lucky enough to add one to cart at 6am I’ll order it. If not, I’ll check back for the 6090.
 
Look at all those 5080's.....I hope the buyers were at least upgrading from a 30 series card.
475464124_1030371865798878_4602030352922350853_n.jpg
 
What a shitty launch, no cards, DLSS 4 override in the Nvidia app doesn't work, just frame gen works, and no support for Stalker 2, Diablo 4 etc, which were supposed to have "day Zero" support for DLSS 4.
Sad part is that card will sell @ asking price. Some people have more money than sense.....
You're now looking at the prices of Nvidia's next release.
 
What a shitty launch, no cards, DLSS 4 override in the Nvidia app doesn't work, just frame gen works, and no support for Stalker 2, Diablo 4 etc, which were supposed to have "day Zero" support for DLSS 4.

You're now looking at the prices of Nvidia's next release.
Yep. That's it in a nutshell! I don't blame Nvidia and leather jacket man.....that's what his job is...to make money! We have no one to blame for current and future market conditions except "we" the consumer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Guy in the top left feeling like a total chad right about now
Wonder if he's actually heading home to go game on that thing or already has an Ebay listing for it? I'd feel like a Chad too if I flipped that 5090 for x3 what I paid for it. :)
 
Wonder if he's actually heading home to go game on that thing or already has an Ebay listing for it? I'd feel like a Chad too if I flipped that 5090 for x3 what I paid for it. :)
Are they selling for $7500? No way right? Who's stupid enough to pay that kind of money? Especially when you can get the 4090 for much cheaper and can do similar work or game?
Also anyone trying to scalp a graphics card has more time than money because it's a desperate act imo. I don't know bro it's so cringe lol.
 
Nvidia has done a great job at killing off the xx80 series, I guess they want to make the xx90 series the new flagship. I'm so glad I decided to get a new Alienware OLED monitor instead and skip this series altogether. Gaming isn't that important to me to make me spend stupid money for a for a GPU. At 57 I'd rather throw in the towel and give it up, or even go with a lesser card and dumb down my graphic settings. Right now my 4080 is fine, especially if it's going to be able to use DLSS 4 as well.
Thats just it though, the 90 class was always the flagship level, as was the Ultra level before it. The 80 class was always the enthusiast class, with the 70 class being the mainstream enthusiast class. Id even wager that the 4090 was NOT the original test sample for Nvidia spiking pricing. That honor goes to the GTX Titan X, and its $1000 price tag back in 2015.
 
Thats just it though, the 90 class was always the flagship level, as was the Ultra level before it. The 80 class was always the enthusiast class, with the 70 class being the mainstream enthusiast class. Id even wager that the 4090 was NOT the original test sample for Nvidia spiking pricing. That honor goes to the GTX Titan X, and its $1000 price tag back in 2015.
Yes, but the price/performance disparity between the 80 and 90 series has never been higher.
 
Shittiest GPU launch ever! Man I thought the 3 series launch was bad, but this blows it out of the water.

Completely embarrassing for a trillion dollar company with 30 plus years experience.

Pathetic.
It truly actually is. The lowest performance leap, the lowest supply, and the highest price. All 3 records broken in the same launch.

+ Highest power draw
+ Least amount of new feature hardware
 
Back
Top