WOW! 55" Display with 120Hz / 1440p with excellent latency. nVidia and FreeSync

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
So if you're like me, bigger is better when it comes to displays.

I absolutely loved my Westy back in the day. I have had 2 of them and wore them both out.

Also, having a 32" display in front of you, or a 49" or 55" is not really that big of a deal. It's at the same distance as any other display. On top of that, lot of guys run 3 and 4 monitors. All a 55" display is a very large monitor without all the bezels.

So, most of you already know that Samsungs high-end 2018 TV sets support "Variable Refresh Rate." This works on both AMD and nVidia. However, the TV has just "FreeSync" as being supported.

I did some digging and found a guy using one of these new displays on a PC with an nVidia card.

No where else does it list this works with nVidia. Not that I was surprised.

So if you have an nVidia card and or AMD, you can get 120hz native at 1080p and 1440p.

Also, the only real differences in these higher end models is nit brightness ... I think.

From 1000 to 2000 nits from the bottom to the top.

Here is more information on this.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/variable-refresh-rate

and especially,

No, that is absolutely just not true. My KS8000 looks excellent at 1080P and 1440p, Looks native in fact and that's 2015 technology.

We are talking Samsung's High-End 2018 line-up.

Did you mean with cheap POS branded TV's? Maybe ..... I dunno. But I don't buy insignia and element like you guys.

Also, what the hell could you use to possible push 120hz @ 4K ? Maybe if you drop all the settings down and then .... maybe.

My RTX 2080 Ti does great at very-high settings @ 1440p pushing 120FPS.

Interested, but reviews claim that Chroma 444 is not supported in 1440p (and possibly 1080p but who cares about that resolution :p)

What's the difference between all these models?
There's like
QE55QDN
QE55QFN
QE55QCN
QE55QF
QE55QC

WTF.
I got it that F letters means flat and C means curved. But then this DN is some completely different looking tv, but basically the same article name.
And what does N stand for? Notgonnagetournamingscheme?

Also, having a 32" display in front of you, or a 49" or 55" is not really that big of a deal. It's at the same distance as any other display. On top of that, lot of guys run 3 and 4 monitors. All a 55" display is a very large monitor without all the bezels.

There's a pretty substantial difference between 32" and 55", you have to be sitting much further away to avoid having to turn your head with a TV that large. Lots of 3-screen setups were for Surround/Eyefinity which is very different from just sitting in front of one big TV.

So what's the trick for getting VRR to work with an Nvidia card? Honestly I'd start saving up for a new display in the form of a 55" TV right now if it was possible.

Just get a Mango to do 4K 120 Hz and with less input lag too. Better sizes to boot; 43/49 inch.

So what's the trick for getting VRR to work with an Nvidia card? Honestly I'd start saving up for a new display in the form of a 55" TV right now if it was possible.

There is no trick. It just works.

There is some very very bad information out there about all these FreeSync monitors ... they all support nVidia cards. I've owned 3 "Freesync" monitors and they all worked with nVidia ... not under Freesynce or Gsync but just under the resolution and refresh rate at the same 100, 120 or 144hz refresh rate.

I even have a older 32" HP that has 75hz Freesync and my nVidia cards gave me the same 75hz.

There difference between Freesynce, Gsynce and Non-branded 144hz is that Gsync lines up the frames without skipping or duplicating ( as far as I can tell ) ... otherwise without Freesync and Gsync you might skip a few frames but this doesn't really matter when you have a 144FPS raining down on you like stripper dollars ever damn second. BTW, it just took you a second to read the last few words. Who is going to notice a dropped / dupe frame. And from what I read, vsync is pretty damn good on it's own.

There is no trick. It just works.

There is some very very bad information out there about all these FreeSync monitors ... they all support nVidia cards. I've owned 3 "Freesync" monitors and they all worked with nVidia ... not under Freesynce or Gsync but just under the resolution and refresh rate at the same 100, 120 or 144hz refresh rate.

I even have a older 32" HP that has 75hz Freesync and my nVidia cards gave me the same 75hz.

There difference between Freesynce, Gsynce and Non-branded 144hz is that Gsync lines up the frames without skipping or duplicating ( as far as I can tell ) ... otherwise without Freesync and Gsync you might skip a few frames but this doesn't really matter when you have a 144FPS raining down on you like stripper dollars ever damn second. BTW, it just took you a second to read the last few words. Who is going to notice a dropped / dupe frame. And from what I read, vsync is pretty damn good on it's own.

The display itself will work at its native resolution and any refresh rate, but the variable refresh rate feature won't. VRR is great for removing tearing, reducing input lag vs v-sync and helping framerate fluctuations be less noticeable.

Just get a Mango to do 4K 120 Hz and with less input lag too. Better sizes to boot; 43/49 inch.

No thanks, anyone who buys South Korean monitors is playing with fire. I've personally seen 3 or 4 out of 5 or 6 Korean monitors fail in the past. If you have a problem and the likelihood is fairly good that you will, are you going to spend $200 to mail it back? And sorry, but those people do not like to accept returns. It's a hassle, a risk and a gamble ... big time. The problem was so bad that Microcenter stopped carrying Korean monitors due to customer returns and hassles with the distributor accepted returns. This was told to me by one of the store managers.

Also, Linus Tech Tips reviewed it and while he said it works, there are a lot of downsides to the monitor. Go check out the video.

Also, let me ask all of you a question.

If you could put 4 x 24" monitors on your desk, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom and without bezels ... would you do it? Lot of you guys would say yes. Well, you can .. it's called a 49" to 55" display and your sitting no closer than you would with a single display.

One more thing I want to put out there. Your desk. I know for a fact a lot of you are using the cheap consumer desks that you find at most stores. Go used commercial. Businesses fail everyday. There is a huge amount of use professional office furniture out there that is not only cheap but well built and in a lot of cases give you more desk real estate for nearly the same foot-print. I have one of those large lima bean shaped office desks and I have a ton of depth.

Guys who use these larger display formats really can and do get it figured out.

Well, I just ordered 55" Q7F. Coming from 49" JS9000 which is a 2015 model.

I'm hopefully going to be able to game at 1440p/120hz.
Maybe even keep my 1080Ti. Although I'd like 1440p/120hz with AA on since it's a larger screen and I'm used to 4k resolution on 49", so maybe I'll still get 2080Ti.

120hz, low input lag and crazy high brightness is what made me pull the trigger. These TVs beat true pc monitors handily when it comes to brightness. Most monitors are around 300-400 nits. These TVs are 1500-2000 so they show true HDR.

Well, I just ordered 55" Q7F. Coming from 49" JS9000 which is a 2015 model.

I'm hopefully going to be able to game at 1440p/120hz.
Maybe even keep my 1080Ti. Although I'd like 1440p/120hz with AA on since it's a larger screen and I'm used to 4k resolution on 49", so maybe I'll still get 2080Ti.

120hz, low input lag and crazy high brightness is what made me pull the trigger. These TVs beat true pc monitors handily when it comes to brightness. Most monitors are around 300-400 nits. These TVs are 1500-2000 so they show true HDR.

niiiiiiiiiiiice .... I'll be updating to the NU open box Friday for $800 ... Im sure we will both get 120hz at 1440p

I am super excited.

And ditto on the brightness.

Taking this small 32" 144hz back Friday.

Last edited:
If you could put 4 x 24" monitors on your desk, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom and without bezels ... would you do it? Lot of you guys would say yes. Well, you can .. it's called a 49" to 55" display and your sitting no closer than you would with a single display.

My answer would be hell no. It's just not useful without a very deep desk (which won't fit my apartment well) that lets me put the display a lot further away from me so I don't have to turn into an owl to see different areas of the screen. Then I need to use a huge DPI scaling setting to make text a comfortable size to read so that desktop space would not be that useful. I'd rather have a more reasonable well under 40" size display. Now if only TV manufacturers started making smaller TVs those would be a real option...

Interested, but reviews claim that Chroma 444 is not supported in 1440p (and possibly 1080p but who cares about that resolution :p)

What's the difference between all these models?
There's like
QE55QDN
QE55QFN
QE55QCN
QE55QF
QE55QC

WTF.
I got it that F letters means flat and C means curved. But then this DN is some completely different looking tv, but basically the same article name.
And what does N stand for? Notgonnagetournamingscheme?

Q = QLED (U = UHD, S = SUHD)
E = Europe (N = North America, A = Asia)
55 = panel size (class)
Q = 2017 series QLED
9 = feature level (9 being the highest)
D = flat panel with FALD (F = flat panel edge-lit, C = curved panel edge-lit)
N = for sale in 2018

So I received the TV today (55" Q7FN) and my first impressions are mixed. Perhaps because I need Zarathustra[H] to buy this TV and make a calibration guide :p

1) I'm not getting more than 100 fps in ESO at 1440p. Maybe it's the game limitation.
2) 4k resolution is still king! The difference between 4k and 1440p is MASSIVE and I'm not sure if I should just go 4k/60hz or stay 1440p/120hz. The image quality especially on a screen this size is maybe too much for me to sacrifice. I could try forcing some additional AA and see where that gets me.
3) After using a curved TV for 3.5 years, this one feels like it's curved outwards. It definitely requires some getting used to.
4) The text is horrible on console mode. Unfortunately, it's the only mode which gives me all picture settings. PC mode and Chroma 444 make internet browsing normal, but I can't choose different picture settings which is frustrating as I like to alt tab a lot.
5) TV is reporting latest firmware installed, 1152, but on Samsung page the latest one is 1153.1, hmmm.
6) Games seem rather responsive with higher refresh rate, but I'm not sure if it was worth getting.
7) 55" is quite big. Kinda too big. I felt my 48" was too big. I mean, it's immersive having a huge screen, but I think 40-43" is perfect for a "in front of your nose" screen.

Last edited:
So I received the TV today (55" Q7FN) and my first impressions are mixed. Perhaps because I need Zarathustra[H] to buy this TV and make a calibration guide :p

1) I'm not getting more than 100 fps in ESO at 1440p. Maybe it's the game limitation.
2) 4k resolution is still king! The difference between 4k and 1440p is MASSIVE and I'm not sure if I should just go 4k/60hz or stay 1440p/120hz. The image quality especially on a screen this size is maybe too much for me to sacrifice. I could try forcing some additional AA and see where that gets me.
3) After using a curved TV for 3.5 years, this one feels like it's curved outwards. It definitely requires some getting used to.
4) The text is horrible on console mode. Unfortunately, it's the only mode which gives me all picture settings. PC mode and Chroma 444 make internet browsing normal, but I can't choose different picture settings which is frustrating as I like to alt tab a lot.
5) TV is reporting latest firmware installed, 1152, but on Samsung page the latest one is 1153.1, hmmm.

Hmm so nothing above 60hz at 4k? In guessguessing that's just due to the bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0?

I'd totally do something like this if it were smaller. 43" would be ideal for me.

Hmm so nothing above 60hz at 4k? In guessguessing that's just due to the bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0?

I'd totally do something like this if it were smaller. 43" would be ideal for me.

Nope, but I just forced AAx4 in Nvidia control panel to enhance the application settings. The game looks good now! Like 4k :D
I totally agree on 43" ideal size. 40-43". This is VERY immersive though.

Honestly, it's hard to beat 4k resolution even after forcing AA.

But I noticed one abnormality in Elder Scrolls Online.
When I set my desktop to 1440p/120hz, I get 100 fps in game, when I turn Vsync on it goes down to 60fps. If I change the resolution in game to 4k, I still get 100 fps.
When I set my desktop to 4k/60hz, I again get 100 fps in game and 60 with Vsync.

Shouldn't I get 120fps in 1440p/120hz and 60fps in 4k/60hz?

Edit:
Forgot to turn "game mode" on. It works now but I think the game is limited to 100 fps.

Last edited:
Im picking up a new NU8000 today for $850 ... 55" I just need to take my ass down there and stop being lazy.

NU8000 is basically the same as the Q6F in terms of 120hz @ 1440P

Nebell .. what are your initial impressions?

You know you are basically gaming on one of nVidia's BFG's before anyone else right? LOL.

No one and I do mean no one can push 120hz @ 4K with high settings.

Yeah, my LG B7 looks pretty awesome running 1080p 120hz (at 11 feet, it looks like native). I just wish it was a little more forgiving with the refresh rate (I find it a little clunky getting it working in full screen games).

I won't run it all the time at 1080p because it's 65" (So 4k, or text looks like shit). But from my experience, resolution switching on an HTPC is way more complicated than a PC monitor. So I don't make use of the feature nearly as much as I want to.

For games like Crosscode I'm stuck with whatever the desktop settings are, but for other games you can actually select the resolution and refresh rate., it's amazing, when you have the in-game options (like Borderlands, or Cloudbuilt.

Last edited:
Im picking up a new NU8000 today for $850 ... 55" I just need to take my ass down there and stop being lazy.

NU8000 is basically the same as the Q6F in terms of 120hz @ 1440P

Nebell .. what are your initial impressions?

You know you are basically gaming on one of nVidia's BFG's before anyone else right? LOL.

No one and I do mean no one can push 120hz @ 4K with high settings.

Now that I have somewhat calibrated, it's pretty good.
I used DSL or whatever it's called to increase resolution 2 times. I'm not sure if I'm noticing any difference or not lol. But I'm not playing demanding games and the fps is still high.
The only problem I have is that it doesn't support Chroma 444 in 1440p. But it's usable. It's not much worse. The difference is probably that the screen is quite a bit bigger than my old one.
But it's growing on me.

I used DSL or whatever it's called to increase resolution 2 times. I'm not sure if I'm noticing any difference or not lol. But I'm not playing demanding games and the fps is still high.
The only problem I have is that it doesn't support Chroma 444 in 1440p. But it's usable. It's not much worse. The difference is probably that the screen is quite a bit bigger than my old one.
But it's growing on me.

We are going to need newer display connector standards. Current versions of both HDMI and DP are inadequate.

I don't care much about carrying audio, network, or all the other things they are trying to do over display cables these days, but I would like to have enough bandwidth for 4k120hz HDR at 4:4:4 chroma

We are going to need newer display connector standards. Current versions of both HDMI and DP are inadequate.

I don't care much about carrying audio, network, or all the other things they are trying to do over display cables these days, but I would like to have enough bandwidth for 4k120hz HDR at 4:4:4 chroma

Same here, but I got sold on 1440p/120hz and rather low around 10ms input lag. I'll wait until they fix OLED issues and get 4k/120hz screens and perhaps next gen nvidia cards. I think my 1080Ti is perfectly fine for this.

But it's growing on me.

yeah the big thing here is the massive 120hz .... something I want over anything else. You still have a great 4K @ 60hz display with chroma 4:4:4 for anything else.

Personally, when I switch over the 1440p I don't even notice much difference. Games are still razor sharp and beautiful.

yeah the big thing here is the massive 120hz .... something I want over anything else. You still have a great 4K @ 60hz display with chroma 4:4:4 for anything else.

Personally, when I switch over the 1440p I don't even notice much difference. Games are still razor sharp and beautiful.

Yeah, it definitely is more versatile than my old 2015 model.
Also, they made one connect box pretty big. It's 3 times as tall as the old one.

Well, picked my new Samsung NU8000 up and I couldn't be happier ... dream come true. 55" 120hz / HDR at 1440p. Picture is amazing ....... shocked at how damn good it looks and especially performs.

As far as chroma subsampling 4:4:4 I am not noticing any pixel red/blue discoloration. All text is still razor sharp and crystal clear. Everything looks fantastic.

Quality and performance is just as good as my 2016 Samsung KS8000 60hz other than the new 120hz. Hate to see her go but hey, ... she did me good and with this new awesome NU8000 on the desk ... I have zero regrets. I feel bad in a way. Loved my KS8000 so much but this new NU8000 ... I'm kicking her to the curb big time.

For $850 ... this is a steal. Man, I want two ... I can't even imagine how they could improve upon this.

Buttery smooth .... man .. I am gonna be up all night.

Black Ops 4 Black Out is just simply amazing at 55" @ 120hz .... everything is so smooth over 60hz .. I will never ever go back to 60hz ...

As far as 144hz @ 4K goes ... sounds great but that's gonna be hard to push for another year or two at least with any high settings. You will need one beast of a card. The RTX 2080 Ti won't do it unless the game is simple with all the GFX EFX turned down / off. Maybe is 2020 we will have something that's up to task.

Guys, this is honestly incredible and I'm pinching myself.

I thought for sure I would have to spend a hellva lot more money and wait a lot longer to get to this point. But no, it's here right now.

As far as 55" sounding too huge. It really isn't. I'm about 3' from my eyeballs to the screen. Just as far as if not further than everyone else here with a monitor. Like I've said before, it's basically like 4 x 21 16:9 monitors without bezels.

IMG_20181102_020848.jpg IMG_20181102_021605.jpg IMG_20181102_021646.jpg

Last edited:

Sweet. No dead pixels?
This is the first screen (aside from my phone) which has no dead pixels.
Impressive.

I have the 55" Q7F. It's been great. Picture quality is awesome, and FreeSync high-refresh feels so smooth.

Usually I don't like running at non-native res, but it can work. I noticed, it's game specific (probably due to AA method) whether it will look good.

For example, Left4Dead with max settings (8x MSAA) looks almost like 4K, and 120Hz FreeSync is awesome here. Other games do not look good, for example Prey looked unacceptably blurry and pixelated at 1440p.

I tried making a custom 21:9 1:1 pixel resolution, but AMD cards don't do well here. I think with an Nvidia card you might be able to get up to maybe 75 or 90Hz at 4K 21:9, not sure.

When I tried with AMD I could not get anything to work, and my machine was temporarily hosed (no signal) and it took a while to get it working again.

The 55" screen is amazing for gaming and movies, though Windows desktop use is sub-optimal (I have to keep apps like the browser in a smaller window to see everything).

Overall I like it. Very immersive size, and FreeSync with high-refresh 1440p/1080p gives some options if you can't get the performance at 4K.

Works great, I'm getting used to 1440p/120hz from 4k/60hz, although to be honest, I am having a hard time noticing the fps difference between 60hz and 100hz :)
However there is a noticeable visual difference between 4k AA off and 1440p AA on.
This is probably just me as I don't play games that require fast reflexes. I currently play slow games like Elder Scrolls Online and XCOM 2.
Been thinking about getting 2080Ti, but it seems rather pointless. My 1080Ti is doing just fine on both 1440p/120hz and 4k/60hz.

Yeah, with turn based games you're not going to see a whole lot.

If you played anything that moves fast, there is a def massive difference. 120hz is twice the performance of a standard monitor.

Back