WOW! 55" Display with 120Hz / 1440p with excellent latency. nVidia and FreeSync

There should be a big difference going from 60Hz to high refresh. Even just moving the mouse and dragging windows around should be noticeably smoother.

In turn-based games, maybe not, but in first or third person action games it is night and day.

Last edited:
The 120 Hz refresh means nothing when the response time is 9 ms. This thing would give me a headache 15 min into a FPS not to mention you probably would not be able to hit the broad side of a barn with this kind of input lag.

The 120 Hz refresh means nothing when the response time is 9 ms. This thing would give me a headache 15 min into a FPS not to mention you probably would not be able to hit the broad side of a barn with this kind of input lag.

Response time != input lag.

It does not , but I cant imagine how high it is while its response time is already 9 ms. My 50" Samsung tv even in its game mode is horrible. The fucked up thing is that no one manufacturer states what the actual input lag is , but my guess is the bigger the tv the worse it gets.
Some of the more expensive 21:9 32/34" inch monitors are pretty crappy when you look at the response of 5 ms.

I game on a Samsung TV. There is lag sure, but when using the Xbox gamepad it is not too bad and certainly good enough for console gaming.

Wrong .... wrong and wrong.

And you're full of it. Let me quote rtings.com "Excellent low input lag, good enough for even competitive console gaming." So we are supposed to listen to you and not ... everyone else? Don't think so. You basically just outed yourself as a horrible player and that's OK. Look, people are going to figure you out when they put two and two together.

I have close to 30 wins, 7 solo, level 73 closing in on 80 in Black Out. 120hz has increased my kills ... massively.

But then again, this should be happening because I should only be hitting the side of a barn.

Listen kid, stick with your 24" monitor and keep to yourself. lol

Last edited:
I don't play black ops or cod anything. You must be mistaking me with someone else. I don't mean to shit on your parade, but specs are specs + we all have different standards :D

Besides, Good enough for even console gamers. Why would you play any FPS game on a console ?

I don't play black ops or cod anything. You must be mistaking me with someone else. I don't mean to shit on your parade, but specs are specs + we all have different standards :D

No, you have it all wrong. I feel bad for you, not me.

Anyways, go here, read. Learn. And when you do this, take note of the numbers. You think 9.6ms is bad. You're going to be surprised.

https://displaylag.com/asus-input-lag-tests-4k-ultrawide-freesync-g-sync/

additional NFO:

Here is something else you could go and take a look at. Now, I'm not the type of guy that goes and tells someone "I told you so" but I will say your not doing anyone here any favors, especially yourself by not understanding any of this.

Lot of you kids get pixel response time ( G2G ) and input latency mixed up, or, do know one from the other. I don't know what's going on to be honest but there is a lot of misinformation out there and, guys like you that have it all wrong that chime in out of tune. But I'll get you fixed up. Just stick around.

There are 1000 milliseconds in a second. I'll spare you from going into too deep but I will tell you, 9.8ms input lag is better than a lot of high-end gaming monitors.

A quick thing about response time ( pixel response time ) or grey to grey ... this WAS a problem a handful of years ago and manufactures started using this term, gray to gray or G2G, G2G scale. G2G and Input lag are two totally different things. In fact, with modern display tech, it's really not an issue these days. And even when the term was introduced years ago, there was and still is a bit of contravene around it. It's basically a marketing term invented to help sell product. Again, go research this or I can come back and bust many links on you about this as well. Up to you.

And console / PC ... same difference.

I saw the video of this thing in action which you posted. It looks like shit, so I don't think I need to learn anything. and Im not going to argue with you. People may mistake us :D

Question for folks with maybe similar tastes as me or recommendations anyway.

I'm not a hardcore competitive CSGO pro player or such , but do play some FPS mixed in with my main WoT and such.

I've had a BenQ 3200u (first the 3201 then the newer model ) going on 3+ years counting both and really have liked them a lot.

I'm fine with 60hz , can't do less than 4k and also not smaller than 32" as have gotten used to both.

While I'd much prefer 40/43" for the size , I've been eyeballing the 49" (smallest) of this model.

Have seen it get good reviews for the most part , put really want to know if there's going to be a major difference lag/input wise to me ?

I was thinking of getting a vesa stand if it seems too high to me and having it sit flush with my table if I go this route.

No worries about 100% accurate color , etc as this thing is used for gaming only ,have other monitors and rig for work and misc.

Thanks for any advice.

Just get the 43" 4k120 mango. Its native 4k120hz, can do 1440p@240hz and comes in under $900 on fleabay.

Also, it has very low input lag...in many ways I like it better than my Predator X27 4k144

While I'd much prefer 40/43" for the size , I've been eyeballing the 49" (smallest) of this model.

Have seen it get good reviews for the most part , put really want to know if there's going to be a major difference lag/input wise to me ?
Unfortunately the 49" versions use 60Hz panels.

I've been using the QE55Q9FN over a month and for the most part it is a fantastic display.

At first it had real problems using interpolation at 4K, too many artefacts.
They sorted this with a firmware update.

This TV is incredible, very low input lag, fantastic colours, 120Hz 1440p that looks great, very bright HDR.
Its a gamers dream.
But then HDR lost brightness and SDR viewing was a little odd too.
The HDR image was much too dark with contrast and backlight maxed.
There are 3 HDR modes, HDR+ (fake HDR), HLG and HDR10.
HDR10 failed first, then HLG, then HDR+.
For a while I could kick HDR into action while playing an HDR movie by enabling/disabling HDR+, but soon HDR+ stopped working as well.

Note: this is a very short version. It was not an easy process dealing with support.
Samsung fixed it online in engineering mode after a few hours troubleshooting.
But it failed again a week later and this time they couldnt fix it, again after hours of troubleshooting.
An engineer later called and did a full mfr reset which didnt help. (I took a photo of this as I was interested in seeing the engineering options)
He wanted to see the HDR problem using a smartphone app but I dont use a smartphone.
He said he can do no more as he is running blind and I need to call an engineer round, at my expense, to prove it has a manufacturing defect before Samsung will help further!
I was shocked. How am I liable for proving a brand new TV has a manufacturing defect when it is under warranty and not working correctly?
And risk losing all support if a defect isnt found?
It would leave me with an almost worthless TV I couldnt even sell.

Next day I called Samsung and asked for a manager, I spoke to one and was promised a call back with 2 hours but it didnt happen.
I called later in the day and again was promised a call back either that day or the next.
Toward the end of the next day the call hadnt happened so I called and asked to speak to a manager again. I was not put through to one and was told many untruths.
This was going nowhere so I asked to register a complaint.
To cut a long story short, that kicked them into action, the complaint was never registered.

They asked me to demonstrate how HDR fails while they took snapshots of the screen over the internet while in engineering mode.
I also showed how enabling fake HDR (HDR+) made a big difference as this still worked. (This had failed the first time round but was still working luckily)
They disconnected from my TV and went away for a bit.

When they came back they asked me to allow them to connect to the TV again, engineering mode was enabled again.
They asked if a full reset had been done. I said yes and asked why they dont have a record of this.
They appeared to have no record of the work the engineer did who called me back a few days earlier.
They demanded we do a full reset again until I showed them the photo I took of the engineer performing it.
I was asked to try HDR again and it worked!
They refused to acknowledge they had done anything, claiming ignorance of how it was suddenly working.
I ended the call a little confused.

Then I found most of settings had been reset and it was in Dynamic mode.
A small panic later I realised that it was working properly in all modes, phew.
Later I found, in the Eco menu, they enabled Ambient light detection which was disabled before.
I suspect settings under the hood, not available in the menus, had been changed as well.
Their claim it was nothing to do with them was false.

But the most damning thing is, this was never a manufacturing defect.
If I had accepted the engineer coming round I could have been left with a dud TV and the engineers bill!
/rant

The point of my post is not to put you off getting one of these TVs but to make you aware of how hard you need to push to get help should you really need it.
They can indeed help with in depth problems, but not when you only rely on the person on the phone.
(Dont fall for the apologies and untruths they have no trouble constantly repeating. If you get no joy, ask to register a complaint.)
But also to point out just how damn good this TV is!

As long as I dont get the HDR problem again this is the perfect TV for PC use, gaming, TV and HDR movies.
I use HDR+ for most TV viewing because it looks so natural and way more dynamic. It brings the CRT back to modern displays way more than Plasma did.
HDR+ affects colours a bit so isnt suitable for all viewing (and needs a low backlight setting to not blind you). ie when watching snooker the table is far too green and peoples faces are too bright.
However this TV is great without HDR+ so no biggie.
True HDR is fantastic, easily the biggest jump in display tech when you have a TV that does it well.
And blacks are so very dark.

I love this TV.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I've been using the QE55Q9FN over a month and for the most part it is a fantastic display.

At first it had real problems using interpolation at 4K, too many artefacts.
They sorted this with a firmware update.

This TV is incredible, very low input lag, fantastic colours, 120Hz 1440p that looks great, very bright HDR.
Its a gamers dream.
But then HDR lost brightness and SDR viewing was a little odd too.
The HDR image was much too dark with contrast and backlight maxed.
There are 3 HDR modes, HDR+ (fake HDR), HLG and HDR10.
HDR10 failed first, then HLG, then HDR+.

Note: this is a very short version. It was not an easy process dealing with support.
Samsung fixed it online in engineering mode after a few hours troubleshooting.
But it failed again a week later and this time they couldnt fix it, again after hours of troubleshooting.
An engineer later called and did a full mfr reset which didnt help. (I took a photo of this as I was interested in seeing the engineering options)
He wanted to see the HDR problem using a smartphone app but I dont use a smartphone.
He said he can do no more as he is running blind and I need to call an engineer round, at my expense, to prove it has a manufacturing defect before Samsung will help further!
I was shocked. How am I liable for proving a brand new TV has a manufacturing defect when it is under warranty and not working correctly?
And risk losing all support if a defect isnt found?
It would leave me with an almost worthless TV I couldnt even sell.

Next day I called Samsung and asked for a manager, I spoke to one and was promised a call back with 2 hours but it didnt happen.
I called later in the day and again was promised a call back either that day or the next.
Toward the end of the next day the call hadnt happened so I called and asked to speak to a manager again. I was not put through to one and was told many untruths.
This was going nowhere so I asked to register a complaint.
To cut a long story short, that kicked them into action, the complaint was never registered.

They asked me to demonstrate how HDR fails while they took snapshots of the screen over the internet while in engineering mode.
I also showed how enabling fake HDR (HDR+) made a big difference as this still worked. (This had failed the first time round but was still working luckily)
They disconnected from my TV and went away for a bit.

When they came back they asked me to allow them to connect to the TV again, engineering mode was enabled again.
They asked if a full reset had been done. I said yes and asked why they dont have a record of this.
They appeared to have no record of the work the engineer did who called me back a few days earlier.
They demanded we do a full reset again until I showed them the photo I took of the engineer performing it.
I was asked to try HDR again and it worked!
They refused to acknowledge they had done anything, claiming ignorance of how it was suddenly working.
I ended the call a little confused.

Then I found most of settings had been reset and it was in Dynamic mode.
A small panic later I realised that it was working properly in all modes, phew.
Later I found, in the Eco menu, they enabled Ambient light detection which was disabled before.
I suspect settings under the hood, not available in the menus, had been changed as well.
Their claim it was nothing to do with them was false.

But the most damning thing is, this was never a manufacturing defect.
If I had accepted the engineer coming round I could have been left with a dud TV!
/rant

The point of my post is not to put you off getting one of these TVs but to make you aware of how hard you need to push to get help should you really need it.
They can indeed help with in depth problems, but not when you only rely on the person on the phone.
(Dont fall for the apologies and untruths they have no trouble constantly repeating. If you get no joy, ask to register a complaint.)
But also to point out just how damn good this TV is!

As long as I dont get the HDR problem again this is the perfect TV for PC use, gaming, TV and HDR movies.
I use HDR+ for most TV viewing because it looks so natural and way more dynamic. It brings the CRT back to modern displays way more than Plasma did.
HDR+ affects colours a bit so isnt suitable for all viewing (and needs a low backlight setting to not blind you). ie when watching snooker the table is far too green and peoples faces are too bright.
However this TV is great without HDR+ so no biggie.
True HDR is fantastic, easily the biggest jump in display tech when you have a TV that does it well.
And blacks are so very dark.

I love this TV.
Fingers crossed!

Thank you for the in-depth post. I'm not sold on HDR yet and I still think we have a few years to go before "it just works" without a performance issue. In fact, HDR will eventually get baked into content and hardware to the point it becomes as common place as 1080p.

Loving this NU8000 ... best gaming experience I've ever had in my life. 120hz @ 1440p that can be pushed with a 2080 Ti and I suspect lower spec'd cards as well such as the 1080 ti ... tho, I wouldn't suggest using anything less if you want to use high settings and not drop frames at 120hz.

I bought some gaming glasses and it's made a huge difference as well for eye strain that I've had for years after gaming for hours on end. Bought some Gunnar's that were on sale at Microcenter for $19 that were normally $60 dollars. Great value and awesome quality over the cheaper Chinese cheapies I've owned here and there.

If I could just show everyone how incredible this is .... they would absolutely buy it.

Heads up. This TV. the NU8000 is going on sale for Black Friday for $729 somewhere, can't remember. A totaly f'ing steal.

Let me tell you, sitting 4' from this thing, lights eye, comfy in my chair, drink and snacks and Black Ops 4 ...... dream come true.

Let's see: 1000 / 120 = 8,333333333333333
I've been advocating for low input lag and against of kinds of vsync for almost 20 years now but this is silly. The difference between 9ms and 8.3 ms is not that huge lol

Interested, but reviews claim that Chroma 444 is not supported in 1440p (and possibly 1080p but who cares about that resolution :p)

What's the difference between all these models?
There's like
QE55QDN
QE55QFN
QE55QCN
QE55QF
QE55QC

WTF.
I got it that F letters means flat and C means curved. But then this DN is some completely different looking tv, but basically the same article name.
And what does N stand for? Notgonnagetournamingscheme?

RGB works fine in 1440p 120Hz. Dont use ycbcr.
HDR movies work in RGB mode as well so no need to change to ycbcr. (I'm trying gaming with HDR for the first time today hopefully, I'll post if it needs ycbcr)
The odd thing is it cant dont 1440p 60Hz, the mode is not made available.

From what I read, last years TVs were the 'F' range.
This years are the 'FN' range.
I assume the same for 'C' and 'CN'.

Last edited:
I ran into multiple problems looking through those sets.
No 40” sets. All the ones with 49” options, couldn’t do 120hz (at that size only). All the sets I looked at are VA (which I would say is a problem at that size, and viewing distance. As even the reviews note poor viewing angles).

Ideally I’d like 37-40”. IPS. 120hz and 4K (though yes I know we’re still waiting on that. This seem to be an okay stop gap). 95%+ P3. 10-bit. 4:4:4. Has DisplayPort. Freesync on nearly the whole range.

I realize I’ll likely never get all those things in one display. But no ips, no smaller size is a no go from me.

Seems that everything nowadays with displays is a compromise. Maybe things will get better, but it seems we're forever waiting for the perfect display to materialize.

That said, there are lots of good options. You just have to figure out what feature you want the most and go for that.

Seems that everything nowadays with displays is a compromise.

I'll submit that it's always been a compromise, and the roll-out of technology subject to complex market forces in addition to technical challenges.

It's going to be a while before we get what we would today consider to be a 'perfect' monitor/TV, and by the time we get it, I'd wager that our expectations may have advanced.

For those responding to me, I realize that all of these displays are a compromise. I was just stating the small sub-set I must have. Which to reiterate was <43” and IPS. The rest of the features are great. 120hz at 1440p would be fantastic. The color is decent too. So close to a decent set of compromises, but for me not quite what I need.

I'm really starting to like this TV. It has better quality than my old JS9000. It's brighter and flat. I prefer flat over curved screen. While 55" felt big, I got used to it. It's very immersive.
Also, there's no card that can push 4k/120hz. Probably not even next gen. So I am not worried that I will miss out even if we see a bunch of 4k/120hz screens next year.

Good point. I've got to 120 fps+ at 4K in a select few games (with 2080 Ti NVLink). So it is possible if you're willing to spend serious money, but many games are still in the 90 - 100 fps range.

The way I look at it is that you will almost never get all the things you want in a set.

Me personally, I cannot tell the difference between edge lit and full array although I'm sure someone here can articulate that for me. I've had both, but, as I said, can't tell the difference. The point being, even if waited it out for all the things I want, when I get it, will I even be able to tell the difference?

I'm so glad that I'm a guy who can happily compromise in life. Would hate to be sour all the time that I couldn't get what I wanted and constantly miss out on something that is probably just as good.

There are a lot of kids waiting on this new nVidia 65" gaming display that will end up costing them an arm and a leg and after it's all said and done, they could have had just as good as an experience if not better with the NU8000 for around $750 to $850.

Good point. I've got to 120 fps+ at 4K in a select few games (with 2080 Ti NVLink). So it is possible if you're willing to spend serious money, but many games are still in the 90 - 100 fps range.

Maybe it's just me but I find my 2080 Ti can push 1440p @ high settings @ 120hz np. If I were @ 4K I would have serious doubts my 2080 Ti could push 120hz or 144hz

There are a lot of kids waiting on this new nVidia 65" gaming display that will end up costing them an arm and a leg and after it's all said and done, they could have had just as good as an experience if not better with the NU8000 for around $750 to $850.

tenor.gif

RGB works fine in 1440p 120Hz. Dont use ycbcr.
HDR movies work in RGB mode as well so no need to change to ycbcr. (I'm trying gaming with HDR for the first time today hopefully, I'll post if it needs ycbcr)
The odd thing is it cant dont 1440p 60Hz, the mode is not made available.

From what I read, last years TVs were the 'F' range.
This years are the 'FN' range.
I assume the same for 'C' and 'CN'.

Posting to confirm my 1080ti is put into RGB Full when I enable HDR in Windows 10.
There is no need for ycbcr 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 for any reason in HDR with the Q9FN, and maybe other Samsungs.
RGB full is all I need to use.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider in HDR looks really good!

But PC input needs to be in PC mode otherwise the screen flickers with HDR enabled.
(I normally set it to Blue Ray mode to make it easier to use many TV options. ie PC modes Auto Motion Plus settings are buried deeper into a completely different menu area and are called Game Motion Plus.)

Last edited:
Game Motion Plus is different than Auto Motion Plus. It has less lag for gaming, but also not as much processing.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm pretty sure I will win this argument.

First of all, bust out the $3,000 to $4,000 dollars you're gonna need to buy the new nVidia 65" gaming display that apparently HP. Alienware and nVidia have committed to. Possibly others. So now you have your 65" 4K HDR set with Gsync. Great, how are you supposed to push that? Ok, we need 2 x 2080 Ti's. Ok, cool, that's aother $2600 dollars minimum. Ok, so out of pocket we are at $5600 to $6600 dollars. Ok, wow .. that stings and if you're the guy who bought all of that your like 1 in 5,000 kids. How special you must be.

While we're at it, let's go ahead and add another $1500 for all the additional parts you will need. We are now at $7,000 to $8,000 fucking dollars. Maybe you have a newer PC, maybe you don't. Either way, you've spent the money before or will have to spend the money.

I don't think you kids are really getting this. That's not a realistic solution.

But hey, that's all on you. Get the bank loan, get your Grandmother to pay for it all after you tell her you're gonna be some new Twitch streamer and will make all this money, etc, whatever lie you have to tell yourself and others.

You guys are absolutely delusional if you don't think a 55" @ 120hz @ 1440p will take you to the next level.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm pretty sure I will win this argument.

First of all, bust out the $3,000 to $4,000 dollars you're gonna need to buy the new nVidia 65" gaming display that apparently HP. Alienware and nVidia have committed to. Possibly others. So now you have your 65" 4K HDR set with Gsync. Great, how are you supposed to push that? Ok, we need 2 x 2080 Ti's. Ok, cool, that's aother $2600 dollars minimum. Ok, so out of pocket we are at $5600 to $6600 dollars. Ok, wow .. that stings and if you're the guy who bought all of that your like 1 in 5,000 kids. How special you must be.

While we're at it, let's go ahead and add another $1500 for all the additional parts you will need. We are now at $7,000 to $8,000 fucking dollars. Maybe you have a newer PC, maybe you don't. Either way, you've spent the money before or will have to spend the money.

I don't think you kids are really getting this. That's not a realistic solution.

But hey, that's all on you. Get the bank loan, get your Grandmother to pay for it all after you tell her you're gonna be some new Twitch streamer and will make all this money, etc, whatever lie you have to tell yourself and others.

You guys are absolutely delusional if you don't think a 55" @ 120hz @ 1440p will take you to the next level.

Just because your monitor can do 120Hz does not mean you NEED to drive it at 120 FPS. That's the whole point of GSync, you can run lower (much lower) FPS and still get a smooth experience.

Just because your monitor can do 120Hz does not mean you NEED to drive it at 120 FPS. That's the whole point of GSync, you can run lower (much lower) FPS and still get a smooth experience.

either way you're still shelling out a lot of money for the 65" nVidia 4K HDR Gsync. The point of my posting. I could care less what FPS kids run at. What I wanted to point out is you can do it now for a hellva lot cheaper and ... NOW ... not later.

A real solution is available ... now.

either way you're still shelling out a lot of money for the 65" nVidia 4K HDR Gsync. The point of my posting. I could care less what FPS kids run at. What I wanted to point out is you can do it now for a hellva lot cheaper and ... NOW ... not later.

Not with GSync, unfortunately, and THAT is what makes the solution. Nvidia has a stranglehold on the market of High-performance graphics right now. I run 4K 60Hz without GSync, and I am totally understanding of the price to get 4K HDR FALD 120Hz and GSync.

That said, If AMD comes out with a video card that is much more powerful than my current setup, I would GLADLY save the money and but this TV instead. Adaptive Sync is honestly worth it, and anyone who's used it for ANY game, will understand that it is the future of monitors. This screen does what the BFG Displays do only without GSync, and unfortunately, Gsync is worth the price difference.

It does not , but I cant imagine how high it is while its response time is already 9 ms. My 50" Samsung tv even in its game mode is horrible. The fucked up thing is that no one manufacturer states what the actual input lag is , but my guess is the bigger the tv the worse it gets.
Some of the more expensive 21:9 32/34" inch monitors are pretty crappy when you look at the response of 5 ms.
Input lag of the NU8000 at 120 Hz is 9.7ms. That is 1/5 of a frame past what you see on the screen. 1.4ms isn't going to make or break your gameplay. These televisions are not the ones from even 2-3 years ago when 40ms input lag was common.

The NU8000:
  1. Can't drive 4K at 120 Hz
  2. Does not have FALD
  3. Freesync support, but no G-Sync
  4. Is still a TV
I also don't understand your use of the word "kids" as a pejorative. Kids are not buying these displays, and neither are their parents.

If you want a big screen with 120 Hz support for under $1,000, then this is a good choice. However, it is simply not an alternative to anything outside of its price range like the BFGD.

So, most of you already know that Samsungs high-end 2018 TV sets support "Variable Refresh Rate." This works on both AMD and nVidia. However, the TV has just "FreeSync" as being supported.

Has this been confirmed?

I have not been able to find anything anywhere that suggests Nvidia will support VRR. I hope they do, but it would seem their incentive would be not to, in order to keep selling G-Sync screens. If they support VRR this undercuts them here.

To my understanding, VRR is an OPTIONAL part of the HDMI 2.1 standard. Nvidia's RTX cards are still HDMI 2.0b I believe, bur even if they go ahead and support HDMI 2.1 as part of a refresh, they could just opt to leave out VRR support, I hope they don't, but I bet they will :(

I'd bet that Nvidia does support HDMI VRR. Well, I'd call it 51/49, because I prefer to remain optimistic :).

Hell, they could introduce G-Sync over HDMI too though...

100ms, 10ms, 1ms.... maybe I'm blind, but I can't see the difference.
I can also barely, just barely see the difference between 60hz and 120hz (a bit smoother gameplay and mouse movement, but nothing drastic).

My JS9000 had about 120ms or so input lag because I turned all post processing on and refused to play in game mode.
This new tv has 10ms. I can see some difference between 120hz and 60hz, but not between 120ms and 10ms.

Back