World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

All I can say that the round we did Ocean on, we kicked ass. I still can't believe we actually one that game.

I'm steel_castles in game, and I have ventrillo installed. I'd be happy to join in with you guys if we happen to get online at the same time.

There is a BAD bug in the game that tells you "Do not fire on your allies" when you are clearly firing and hitting a RED ship. It happens every now and then, but tonight I was in a battle that I basically had to pay 3800 in team damage to sink an ENEMY warship.

No, I was not shooting through masts or other shit. There was only 2 other team ships and they were no where around me.

That's fucking bogus man.

Doesn't the Gearing have the fastest, most bad ass guns in the game ?

Gearing guns are exactly the same as Fletchers, but they reload faster.

As someone who has heavily played Gearing - It's gimped. The Fletcher is a better ship in every way that matters for a DD. There are just too many things that are actually a downgrade from the Fletcher in the Gearing. The torps on the gearing while they have more range have substantially longer reload time and do 5k less damage. Given that US DD's are ambush ships when torping this means the gearing actually has crappier torps.

And while the reload is faster on the Gearing's guns because you only have 3 turrets you have a higher chance of being left with less firepower after only a couple bad RNG's in firefights. I've pulled my hair out fighting other DD's in the Gearing and with their first two salvos I loose two turrets. In the Fletcher this just doesn't seem to happen as much as the guns have smaller hit boxes. Seriously; You'd think the Gearing would maul a Fletcher but it just doesn't happen. Every time I engage a Fletcher with my Gearing I initially do better but the Fletcher ends up winning because i'm left with only a single working turret. If you loose only one of three turrets on the gearing you're left with about the same firepower as the Fletcher, but like I said the Fletcher's guns are much harder to knock out as they are more spread out on the ship (5 of them), and they have smaller hit boxes. Before I ever got a Gearing I remember fighting them with my Fletcher thinking these Gearing captains blew as I'd normally win. Well - Now I know why.

Finally, the gearing is slower, doesn't maneuver as well, has a bigger profile, and has a higher spot range from the Fletcher.

The Gearing is just not worth it currently and it needs a small buff in just one of those areas that I mentioned. Otherwise the Fletcher is the better ship right now, and I can tell you the Fletcher is an amazing ship BTW and it's my favorite DD.

Last edited:
ok i think i'm done with the fubuki and admiral hipper.. 6 games 3 wins 3 loss's = -425k silver.. highest earning game was a lose where i had 3 kills 6 torp hits and 48 hits in my fubuki for a whopping 18k silver after repairs..

back to grinding my USN DD's to T8 and IJN cruisers to T8 and then calling it quits til the new ships get added.

All I can say that the round we did Ocean on, we kicked ass. I still can't believe we actually one that game.

Yeah, I was pretty much certain we were screwed when we we back to hold our cap. I just went back to the replay, as that colorado was limping out after being raped, red had:
2 clevelands, a pensacola, 2 kievs, a clemson & a nicholas all in that 1-2 block area moving in.

We had kiev, blys, and dayaks had a yorck. Our colorado took some shots as he was retreating, and a konigsberg came in to help before being sunk quickly, I think he took out 2, and an omaha came in late in mop up duty. That was a great fight, just madness and shells everywhere.

Last User Replay video for a couple weeks. Need to get cracking on a few other videos I've been putting off for too long. Chibster is featured at the end of the video in his Zao picking a fight with every ship in his range, lol.

Happy New Year, gents!

I'll be honest, Chibster is fun to just watch. You see a lone ship facing off against half of the enemy fleet -- yup it's Chibster. The crazy part is he comes out almost unscathed.

I love it when we have three [H]ers together, we usually do pretty darn well.

I'll be honest, Chibster is fun to just watch. You see a lone ship facing off against half of the enemy fleet -- yup it's Chibster. The crazy part is he comes out almost unscathed.

Indeed! [H]ers work well together :D

just went 3-1 with dayaks again, tried to get larry in there, but I think our games were just overlapping too much.

And like his comment above, we were playing T7 on land of fire, and dayaks is like "lets play cautious, pretty much like chibster, except exactly the opposite".

So of course I chase a hatsu into their cap, and sink him, but I'm left to ponder my fate in a cloud of smoke, behind the enemy line 15km from the closest help, with an atago circling 5k from me, that I can't see. Luckily he charged in right as I charged out and we yolo torped each other from 1km. Entertaining at least.

Yeah we were T7's in a T9 game... I ended up 6km from two Tirpitz and a NC launching torps and setting them on fire. :). The "cautious" lasted about 30 seconds. Well we did win.

Last edited:
riding-the-bomb-o.gif

Is that how I play?

My kind of player :)

A couple of you guys just missed me online when you pinged me. Just as I replied, I got dropped into a game and everyone had scattered once I got back :)

Is it just me, or is AFT a POOR choice for ships with low velocity guns, like the Omaha and Murmansk ?

I tried AFT on my Omaha, and anything beyond 12k or so was ridiculous. I was basically throwing shells underhand, from the moon. I was leading the damn target by a good 6" on screen, and STILL falling behind it. I couldn't aim any further ahead because the edge of the screen was in the way LOL

I re-spread the skill back out. I think it's much better with the other skills and not AFT. It's not worth the 4 points.

Is it just me, or is AFT a POOR choice for ships with low velocity guns, like the Omaha and Murmansk ?

I tried AFT on my Omaha, and anything beyond 12k or so was ridiculous. I was basically throwing shells underhand, from the moon. I was leading the damn target by a good 6" on screen, and STILL falling behind it. I couldn't aim any further ahead because the edge of the screen was in the way LOL

I re-spread the skill back out. I think it's much better with the other skills and not AFT. It's not worth the 4 points.

AFT is really depending on the ship and your play style.. but i'm with you, i didn't like AFT on the omaha and cleveland. personally i prefer it on destroyers only. instead i like using my 4 points on the +3% fire chance, especially german ships since they inherently have a high fire chance.. so i had 15% fire chance in my yorck which was ridiculous.

Last edited:
I like AFT on murmansk. Already has a decent fire chance, and while you can't hit a dd or a maneuvering cruiser, BB's are good targets and CA's distracted by others.

Just got it on the blyswicka (I think I will spell this differently every time I mention the ship), I'm interested to see how it works. It's a nice have on kiev.

Last User Replay video for a couple weeks. Need to get cracking on a few other videos I've been putting off for too long. Chibster is featured at the end of the video in his Zao picking a fight with every ship in his range, lol.

Happy New Year, gents!

And somehow I completely missed this post. I see that you didn't post the first splash screen of my replay. I'll see what I can do about removing the anime girl for future shots.

While zoomed in shooting if you hold your right mouse and left mouse button you can keep firing at the lead you have and dodge fire/torps. As long as you have a good lead and the other ship doesn't change course you will keep hitting them. Also once you release the right mouse button it'll go to the zoom/lead that you left off at.

Just thought I'd mention that. Took me a while to figure out. Good for checking out your surroundings or dodging while still putting out dmg.

AFT on Murmansk is ridiculously good. They will probably eventually get rid of this, so enjoy it while you can.

And somehow I completely missed this post. I see that you didn't post the first splash screen of my replay. I'll see what I can do about removing the anime girl for future shots.

It's just more of the fact that it's remarkably difficult to read, not that it's anime.

AFT on Murmansk is ridiculously good. They will probably eventually get rid of this, so enjoy it while you can.

They need to retool it. If AFT no longer affected cruisers there would be a number of changes they'd have to make to properly square things away (shell velocities, specifically.) But the really interesting thing is what would happen if they removed destroyers from benefiting from it as well.

But the really interesting thing is what would happen if they removed destroyers from benefiting from it as well.

I would be very sad, as on the kiev and blyswkawicka, the 2 good arc destroyers, it's invaluable. That would be another nerf to them, and basically an invisible buff to mahan and benson, since those guys probably never take it anyway. They'd put half their shells in orbit if they did.

Last edited:
I use AFT on basically everything. Even when I had a Cleveland it was useful against BBs when I was very low on health. Go to max range and rain down fire... But like you guys said it has to be against a slow moving target.

If you guys are hard core into this game it might be worth it to get a 21:9 monitor. You don't run into that problem of aiming at ships off the screen. I know what you mean though - half the time I am on a laptop if my kids are around and I run into the same problem.

Time for some Tier 2-4 Russian DDs. I think these are fun as hell and help mix the gameplay up quite a bit. You can almost always count on something ridiculous happening which, luckily, is what the entire video consists of, lol.

I got a new high today for damage done! 224,038 damage dealt with my Zao. Man, I am in love with this ship. Also, it's hard to type with a cat lying on the keyboard.

ObCNZMp.jpg

dE1PdVu.jpg

wNhrLCQ.jpg
Love burning down Monties and Yammies.

*edit*:

Just had a 217k damage done with my Iowa which ended up with a lost. Sometimes, you need team mates that aren't eating paint chips.

5N3oWEo.jpg

9LVtULu.jpg

ojZiTRl.jpg

Last edited:
Time for some Tier 2-4 Russian DDs. I think these are fun as hell and help mix the gameplay up quite a bit. You can almost always count on something ridiculous happening which, luckily, is what the entire video consists of, lol.

I just had a fairly epic game in the derzki, 7 kills, and I was almost certain it was going to be a loss. Only me vs 2 kawachi's (although both low health) and a tenryu on solomon islands map, I had just finished off a dresden, heading towards their cap when our emden gets sunk and a kawachi starts capping. Finish the other kawachi behind that NE island, starting heading to our cap, meet the tenryu head-on in the channel, who doesn't seem to react much other than lobbing a few shells at me. Torp him up close, then try to get to our cap on the east side. No turbo left, so it's taking forever, finally spot the other kawachi, and land a round with maybe 5 seconds left before he finishes the cap. One shot from him probably kills me, but slowly beat him up while kiting (he had 4.5k hp) and finish it.

Man the heart was racing there the last couple minutes. Didn't do a ton of damage considering 7 kills, 48k worth, but still a pretty good match. I might have to go watch that replay again..screenshot of the cap progress included, I don't think it gets any closer than that.

sIAyqcR.jpg

KHewc9s.jpg

XmuKIKK.jpg

Oa1B6Q4.jpg

Nice round Dave! I wouldn't look into dmg too much. Especially playing dd. 48k can be a lot of ships at that tier. Your exp value tells the story.

You guys are making me want to start up a Russian DD line again. Maybe after I get my Fletcher. :)

I can't figure out what the hell to do with this Derzki.

It's rapid fire torpedo's are good for all of 3k LOL

It's like it's your job to disrupt the other team and get your ass blow'd up.

Island hopping ambushes. Especially if you're close to BB's and they cannot rotate their guns around on you well, you have a good chance of getting a reload before things get dicey.

But, yes, you've got to get intimate with your opponent.

The torps are opportunistic, use the guns, make torps runs with smoke and cover. Find bad guys a little further from the group that are engaged with others, especially if you can come at them head-on with turbo, you close that distance very quickly.

And sometimes the torps are just to make someone turn, even if they can't get all the way there, most people at T3 don't know your exact range. Make a BB turn into a broadside for your team.

Island hopping ambushes. Especially if you're close to BB's and they cannot rotate their guns around on you well, you have a good chance of getting a reload before things get dicey.

But, yes, you've got to get intimate with your opponent.

Intimate? The Derski needs a giant Condom Dispenser!

I'll look at working on some of the stuff mentioned.

Got on earlier today with Dayaks, and the first game we had was amazing (for me).

2Hmymvi.jpg

KcxJtM3.jpg

JeXYbxz.jpg

I told Chibe if I didn't go into the isles of death on the Hotspot map and get slaughtered so quickly he wouldn't have done so well. :)

I think we won 9 out of 10ish games today. Didn't really keep track but there was a lot of green. Also had my first good carrier game with Chibe where I did ~120k dmg.

I told Chibe if I didn't go into the isles of death on the Hotspot map and get slaughtered so quickly he wouldn't have done so well. :)

I think we won 9 out of 10ish games today. Didn't really keep track but there was a lot of green. Also had my first good carrier game with Chibe where I did ~120k dmg.

I know it's stupid to do that but it sure IS fun isn't it :)

so... tried my hand at carrier play, using a fighter loadout to get th150 planes...

Bogue....

Man.. I was ripping apart enemy planes :D 15-25 planes shot down average per match! bombing wasn't too bad either, I'll move to an indi and try that after these missions are done.

Try manual bombing if you haven't (hold alt). It's really easy and you can do a good amount of dmg.

Back