World Community Grid

The OET work units are much larger than the last batches. So big that they aren't running them on any ARM devices.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40734_offset,0

Reports are showing run times between 8 and 20'ish hours on somewhat modern CPU's. Points per hour are also being reported as worse. Just some things to consider if there are any challenges in the near future. Also, this project is the next expected to end. So, if anyone has any badge goals and what-not, they may want to keep all of this in mind.

Yeah I was wondering why one of my machines was falling behind and noticed it chewing on a bunch of 10+hr OET projects

My reduction for summer is coming soon as well. Almost hit my current WCG goals before new projects are released. Other than that it is typical upgrade all badges and hit 1 million points at a couple projects but that can wait for cooler temps.

The new privacy settings at WCG also affect the recruitment list. I have at least one recruit that has chosen to keep it private. I don't know if they are aware, but that also means their stats will most likely not export as well. Time will tell I guess as they are still working things out.

On a brighter note... for those who had contributed to the Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy Project, (project ended in Dec 2012), the scientist just published a paper as announced in WCG website today. Well, I didn't contributed to this project but good to hear that the data that we crunched are put to good use.

So, is there some way to get your stats to export to 3rd party sites? I thought I did that (a couple times) in my profile, but I haven't seen any change.

So, is there some way to get your stats to export to 3rd party sites? I thought I did that (a couple times) in my profile, but I haven't seen any change.

Afaik, it won't report externally anymore. Some privacy whatever.

They are still working on the legalities of it. Once the lawyers have a good agreement in place, stats sites can sign on the dotted line and get them rolling again. Until then no bueno. They have a few threads about it in their forums.

I also dropped them a note to send me the legal paper but nothing received. #disappointing
#stillrunningWCG

The last update I saw was them saying that they had one agreement done but it didn't seem drawn up with the mentality of donor contributors in mind and felt more for typical corporate business as usual. So, they sent it back to the lawyers for further adjustments.

Yeah, now I just wish WCG would do something similar so we can get updated 3rd party stats soon.

Hello,

We are pleased to report that access to the data export files has been re-activated and is available again. Volunteers who wish to access the data will not need to sign a Data Processing Agreement or obtain tokens.

The review concluded that if volunteers are given explicit notice of and sufficient control over how their data is used, there was no legal justification for imposing any further restrictions on the data export files. The review also concluded that we will likely need to reinforce and strengthen the consent language in a few places on our website, but that doesn't stop us from opening up access to the data exports in the meantime.

This process took significantly longer than any of us hoped or anticipated, and we understand people's frustrations while we had to disable access pending the legal review. But we felt it was important to push back aggressively on what was initially a process more appropriate to a commercial engagement than a philanthropic initiative and to persevere until we had an outcome that was both GDPR-compliant as well as volunteer-friendly.

Finally, a reminder that while access to the data exports is now unrestricted, the export files only include data of volunteers who have opted to make their information public.

Thank you for your patience, and as always, your support.

Sincerely,

World Community Grid Support Team
---------------------------------------------------------
World Community Grid

I found the setting :

Navigate to worldcommunitygrid.org | Log in

Click Settings | My Profile | Scroll down to the middle of the page | Look for Display My Data:

Choose to display or hide your data
You can control whether your data is displayed or hidden. If you choose to display your data, your username and contribution statistics will be shown on our leader boards, your badges and country (if specified) will be shown in our forums and your user and device information will be included in any data export files. See our Privacy Statement for more details.
WCG.PNG
Display my data
Hide my data

Select "Display My Data"

Save

I think users are grandfathered in but new users may not be....

Is this selected by default?

This option was there even before yesterday when stats became available again. I saw it weeks ago and thought maybe they had added it to fix the issue.

I don't know about new users, however.

Looks like 3 different BETA tests went out today. The MIP work I got all failed due to them accidentally sending out 64bit versions which they don't run....

While not announced but SCC might end soon too. So in case of badge hunting finish it off.

I will refocus here to also finish my 5 year badge

D98E5D8C-5263-40F4-ADC3-59A96093BFED.jpeg

Well, here are the new ECD's.
As I was on a business trip, so couldn't posted for a while. But now online, can post new results to mesmerize somebody...
biggrin.gif

Nov 22nd ECD's:
pZcZi3x.png

Comments:
- SCC in finishing 1 week sooner, on Christmas
- OET is finishing 6 months later, notice the drop in weight of the project to 1/3 of it's value
- HSTB is finishing 2 weeks sooner
- ZIKA is finishing 8 months sooner, notice the increase of the weight of the project to 4/3 of previous value
- MCM is finishing 5 months sooner, notice the increase of the weight of the project by 5%
- FAHB & MIP are finishing 1 month later
cool.gif

Hope some news will get some people happy.
cool.gif

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,39475_offset,200#598875

fastgeek , here is your notice...lol

ahh, here's the thread

fired back up a few weeks ago when it got cold

what is that 3rd party stats site again?

In case there is anyone still running some boxes or VM's. I still had some XP VM's toward the end of last year. I upgraded due to HSTB not liking XP at all for me.

Keith,

Will there be a fix to allow the app to run under XP? I haven't had any issues with it once I modified it.

Thanks

Howdy, I have some bad news about the support for Windows XP. We are not supporting Windows XP for WCG projects. The extended support ended almost 5 years ago for Windows XP ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support ).

Personally I would recommend updating those machines that are still running Windows XP to a recent version of Windows or Linux so that your machines become more secure.

Thanks,
-Uplinger[/quote}

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,41319_offset,40

about to overtake Mtndewy and get on the first page

just doesn't seem to have the gravity it did back in the FAH days

Forgot to post last week; but they're unofficial milestones, so who cares? ;)

OpenZika and FA@H_P2 both crossed 150 years.

Also noticed last week that, while Brilong is still in the #1 position for the team in regards to points, I've now contributed more WU's (+357,666) and computational time (+57 years). :) Am 69,388,446 WCG points behind... but will get there someday.

In other news, SCC & MIP are just under 10y & 100y respectively. Think I'll set a few boxes to focus just on those two to be safe. OET is at 91 years, so that'll be the focus after those two.

I'm getting back into things, I'm going to be building a new system soon and will likely be using WCG to bake it in. In the meantime I set up the time of use and everything on my old system to get back in the hang of things. I'm in Cali so I'm only doing this on Off-Peak time, but it is still something. Used to Fold for the [H]orde and I figure I'll start with this and see where things go.

Back