How to earn Byteball running WCG (distributed computing)

Discussion in 'Mining & Cryptocurrency' started by Gilthanis, May 3, 2018.

1. Gilthanis

Gilthanis [H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014

If you do not have an account at WCG you will want to create one here - http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org/?recruiterId=338542&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1
    This does not require you to join a different team like a few of the other crypto offerings do.

After you have created the WCG account you will want to install the BOINC client. We have a couple How-to's based on what OS you have.

How to install BOINC on CENTOS 7 - https://hardforum.com/threads/centos-7-boinc-install-guides.1854569/
    How to install BOINC on Windows and Ubuntu (go to post 11) - https://hardforum.com/threads/boinc-installation-walk-through.1768558/

When attaching the client to WCG, you do NOT use the email address like all other BOINC projects. Rather, you use the User name (handle) you set up durning the account creation.

To set up your account to receive Byteball, you need to go to https://byteball.org/#download and download the wallet app of your choice. For this tutorial, I'm using the Windows application.

01.PNG

Once the file is downloaded, the install is rather easy. Just open it up and click Next

02.PNG

Click Next again

03.PNG

Click Next again

04.PNG

If you want a shortcut, check the box. Click Next

05.PNG

Click Install

06.PNG

Wait for it to complete

07.PNG

Click Finish

08.PNG

The application should launch. Accept the terms

09.PNG

Choose how you want the data downloaded and click Continue

10.PNG

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Gilthanis

Click Continue

11.PNG

Click Get Started

12.PNG

Click the Chat tab at the bottom of the wallet

13.PNG

Select the "Bot Store" tab and locate the World Community Grid linking bot

14.PNG

Click on it and hit the huge ADD BOT button

15.PNG

Select your language

16.PNG

Now you need to change your user name at WCG to reflect the name the BOT gives you.
    Whether you have an existing account at World Community Grid or not, the bot will give you a username. If you don't already have an account, create a new one and be sure to use the username given by the bot. If you already have an account, go to "Settings" and click the "My Profile" button on the left. It will ask for your username and password before allowing you to change anything. When validated, you can change your username to that given by the bot.

17.PNG
    18.PNG

In the wallet, click the link for Check my account. If it is successful it will tell you.

19.PNG

The bot will then ask which address you want rewards sent to. If you want rewards sent to the wallet that is active when entering the chat with the bot, simply click the three little dots at the bottom left and click "Insert my address".

20.PNG

3. Gilthanis

Since I already had a WCG account with points, they awarded me free coin already based on what I had earned. If you have a new account, you will earn coins based on what your contribution to WCG looks like.

21.PNG

22.PNG

If you already have coin or if you earn coin and want to cash it out for Bitcoin without going through exchanges, they have a BOT for Byte-BTC Exchange. However, the fee may be higher than going through an exchange.

23.PNG

24.PNG

25.PNG

For those that changed their WCG names just to get the reward will also want to take one more step to change it back. Go ahead and change the user name at WCG. Then come back to your wallet and click the Change Account Name link. Set it to your normal User Name and then click OK.

26.PNG

donate.PNG

4. Gilthanis

The payout rate is set at $1.00 (in Bytes) for every 150,000 points. It is not much, and you are not supposed to make a profit by participating in WCG. It is just a recognition of your contribution to WCG projects that doesn’t cover even electricity costs. For new users, it is also a way to get some initial amount of Bytes, at least to be able to pay the fees, without having to register at exchanges and buy anything.

Along with Bytes, you also receive a honorific token in the amount exactly equal to the number of points you contributed. The token is not transferable, therefore, it cannot be sold and the balance reflects your lifetime contribution to WCG. Some services might choose to offer a privilege to users with large balance of this token.

If you are already a WCG member and earned some points before enrolling into the distribution, you also receive a one-time reward that depends on the amount of WCG points you generated:

• 100,000 to 1,000,000 points: $0.20;
    • 1,000,000 to 10,000,000 points: $3.00;
    • 10,000,000 to 100,000,000 points: $40.00;
    • over 100,000,000 points: $150.00.

5. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

lot of hoops to jump for $3

neat idea though, thanks!

edit/ holy cow, I was our #3 producer yesterday?? where is everybody?

auntjemima likes this.
  6. Gilthanis

auntjemima likes this.
  7. 10esseeTony

10esseeTony n00bie

Upwards of $1 day here, after my initial $150. Hmmmmmm, I just skimmed the fine points, how does one get a 'wallet' for this coin stuff?

And now, back to bunker building for the 5-athlon... :)

Gilthanis likes this.
  8. Gilthanis

The application you download in this how-to is a wallet application.

9. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Cryptocurrency this is not.

10. Gilthanis

11. 10esseeTony

10esseeTony n00bie

Ooops. Correction: I have 100 years computation, not 100M points. :)

12. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Bite balls?

I mean, I've seen some badly named cryptocurrencies in my time, but this might just take the cake.

Gilthanis likes this.