• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Always makes me chuckle when people claim to be long time gamers and talk about the "first" Wolfenstein game back in the 90's. I just laugh and tell them to get off my lawn! :D

QFT... The actual "first" one prompted me to finally buy a sound card for my old 386 back in the day....
 
Oh yeah. Those old school ones were hard as hell, too.

Probably not the oldest. But my first experience with Wolfenstein was a bunch of floppies purchased from a Costco near Seattle. Oddly, I remember that.
 
Always makes me chuckle when people claim to be long time gamers and talk about the "first" Wolfenstein game back in the 90's. I just laugh and tell them to get off my lawn! :D

http://youtu.be/tJNAXh-LVnk

Holy crap, I used to play on a C64 (unbelievable that we used to wait 20 minutes to load up games on cassette tapes) and had no idea this game existed prior to the 90's shareware version.
 
Is this game so great it can get full price this long or are the devs just holding out to make a point? Really want to play this game but I'm not paying $60 for a year old game. Usually I pay $15-20 for a year old AAA title
 
I got The New Order on sale a last fall for $20 - it's absolutely worth that much. My first play-through took over 25 hours. I just started my second play-through last night to try the other decision branches, and it looks like it may go a little faster this time.

Great game! It really feels immersive and has a great emotionally-engaging story and great characters, and the shooter action feels smooth and fast-paced too. It's amazing to see how far this game has come since the old Wolfenstein games, and surprisingly it still manages to maintain a nostalgic feeling that still reminds me of the old ones. (mostly Return to Castle, but still)
 
Is this game so great it can get full price this long or are the devs just holding out to make a point? Really want to play this game but I'm not paying $60 for a year old game. Usually I pay $15-20 for a year old AAA title

What are you talking about, I just looked it up and I could get a key from oneplay for the equiv. of ~20USD, or disc from base.com for like 13GBP. Hard to imagine it would be much more in the US.
 
Is this game so great it can get full price this long or are the devs just holding out to make a point? Really want to play this game but I'm not paying $60 for a year old game. Usually I pay $15-20 for a year old AAA title

Well, IMO if you still haven't played it, then yes, it is worth full price. Not that you'd actually need to pay it if you just wait for a GMG or Steam sale. It routinely drops to half-price or less. It's still good enough for full price though. Probably one of the best game of the last year to year and a half, and the devs deserve every cent they get.
 
Well, IMO if you still haven't played it, then yes, it is worth full price. Not that you'd actually need to pay it if you just wait for a GMG or Steam sale. It routinely drops to half-price or less. It's still good enough for full price though. Probably one of the best game of the last year to year and a half, and the devs deserve every cent they get.
I agree. I paid half price for it, but looking back, I feel it was worth full retail.

I was majorly impressed with Wolfenstein. Blown away really. The developers/writers/song writers/musicians really crafted an amazing experience.

Where to begin? The shooting mechanics and perk system have clear old-skool influence, and playing the game on high difficulty is fun as hell and fast as hell (well, "fast" relative to modern shooters) The game itself runs great, although the known limitations of the Id Engine are present. So if you're expecting hi res textures on every single object, you'd be disappointed. Also, the infamous pop-in only manifests when you force it, like un-pausing the game and instantly doing a quick 180. The pop-in is a non-issue IMO.

The voice acting is wonderful. The voice actor who performs BJ is an amazing fit. The story is engrossing and you actually care about the characters. The game takes you places and you feel authentic emotions.

Speaking of taking you places, the soundtrack absolutely fucking soars. This was the facet of the game that most impressed me. There's a mix of industrial music that is quite dark (this, combined with the classic shooting mechanics makes the game very Quake-y) and some evil sounding rock plus some more psychedelic pieces. Whoever the musicians they hired for the soundtrack were, they didn't pay them enough. I found the percussion to be particularly stirring, from the main menu to the ending sequence.

The game is an ode to classic shooters and will be appreciated by anyone who was a fan of those older titles. I highly recommend it.
 
Just before the new 3ds and MH4 came out, I had gotten into this for the first time.

Just arrived at the hideout. Haven't played since. I was really enjoying it, I need to give my 3ds a break and jump back on this for a while.

Great game so far, but with the break I've had I've forgotten the story :p
 
[L]imey;1041579878 said:
Just before the new 3ds and MH4 came out, I had gotten into this for the first time.

Just arrived at the hideout. Haven't played since. I was really enjoying it, I need to give my 3ds a break and jump back on this for a while.

Slacker!

(Currently at around 100 hours in MH4U :p)
 
I agree. I paid half price for it, but looking back, I feel it was worth full retail.

I was majorly impressed with Wolfenstein. Blown away really. The developers/writers/song writers/musicians really crafted an amazing experience.

Where to begin? The shooting mechanics and perk system have clear old-skool influence, and playing the game on high difficulty is fun as hell and fast as hell (well, "fast" relative to modern shooters) The game itself runs great, although the known limitations of the Id Engine are present. So if you're expecting hi res textures on every single object, you'd be disappointed. Also, the infamous pop-in only manifests when you force it, like un-pausing the game and instantly doing a quick 180. The pop-in is a non-issue IMO.

The voice acting is wonderful. The voice actor who performs BJ is an amazing fit. The story is engrossing and you actually care about the characters. The game takes you places and you feel authentic emotions.

Speaking of taking you places, the soundtrack absolutely fucking soars. This was the facet of the game that most impressed me. There's a mix of industrial music that is quite dark (this, combined with the classic shooting mechanics makes the game very Quake-y) and some evil sounding rock plus some more psychedelic pieces. Whoever the musicians they hired for the soundtrack were, they didn't pay them enough. I found the percussion to be particularly stirring, from the main menu to the ending sequence.

The game is an ode to classic shooters and will be appreciated by anyone who was a fan of those older titles. I highly recommend it.

I'll just co-sign this entire post with a big :D on my face. I can't wait to get more of this and I hope there is more to come. Thanks for the soundtrack link! Supposedly that soundtrack was released legit but I don't see where I can buy it.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of taking you places, the soundtrack absolutely fucking soars. This was the facet of the game that most impressed me. There's a mix of industrial music that is quite dark (this, combined with the classic shooting mechanics makes the game very Quake-y) and some evil sounding rock plus some more psychedelic pieces. Whoever the musicians they hired for the soundtrack were, they didn't pay them enough. I found the percussion to be particularly stirring, from the main menu to the ending sequence.

Mick Gordon was the man who composed it. He's done a bunch of video game music (many of the Need For Speed games) and did some OC Remix tracks back in the day. He worked with Fredrik Thordendal and Richard Devine on it.
 
I heard The new order in better. So I can't wait to play this. It for sure going to be real good.
 
Occasional low-res textures aside, that is still a gorgeous engine. I'm going to pick this up the minute I get back in town. Can't wait to play it.
 
Started playing... runs well on my Titan X at 3440x1440, locked 60 FPS, had to keep MSAA on 2x but it's enough at this res. Has a lot more video options than The New Order did.

I found the stealth at the beginning kind of tedious but it picks up quickly.
 
Does this game still have horrible textures that ID Tech 5 is known for?

Up close, yeah, some of the textures don't look that great. Overall I think the game looks good though, here's a few screenshots:

WEub.png

UEub.png

kFub.png
 
Does this game still have horrible textures that ID Tech 5 is known for?
I would assume so.

Having low res textures on some objects doesn't bother me. Don't forget that Id Tech 5 is designed to run at a locked 60 FPS on a variety of hardware. It even runs at a locked 60 FPS on consoles.

The people behind the development of the engine prioritized framerate over detail (Carmack wanted it that way, you know how obsessed that guy is with framerates), so certain cuts will have to be made. Will the clipboards and coffee cups you see lying on a Nazi scientist's desk be highly detailed? Nope. But the stuff you do look at, like enemies and interesting map elements will be.

I'll take a locked 60 FPS over a high poly coffee cup any day.
 
Just no. the rage engine is one of the worst out there. It should of just stayed on consoles it was intended for. It's a huge POS on pc.
 
Yeah, the extremely fun and well crafted Wolfenstien: TNO should have stayed on consoles where it belonged.

I'd rather have nothing than a random low res pencil, sitting on a desk I run right past while blasting Nazi's with shotguns. Fucking consoles.
 
The engine is merely ahead of it's time. I can see devs abandoning tile-based systems in about... 20 years :D
 
MegaTexture is awesome but I don't think it's going to be truly useful until games are regularly 100gb each. Nobody is going to want tile based textures when megatexture can finally have high detailed textures up close. Hell, as long as you are at the preferred distance when viewing the textures now they look fantastic, just don't walk up to them lol.
 
Back
Top