• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

A fun game to be sure, but GOTY? I agree with Q-BZ, think the engine handicaps it somewhat to be GOTY.
 
I think the engine needs a bit more tweaking.

Has anyone received word on the Doom Beta supposedly provided to early Wolfenstein pre-orderer's?
 
Has anyone received word on the Doom Beta supposedly provided to early Wolfenstein pre-orderer's?

The beta wasn't "provided". There was a website where purchasers pre-registered for a future beta invite code. Basically a "pre-order" for the beta.

On a side note, as much as I love me some Doom, I have some pretty serious reservations about D4. Not only is Carmack gone, not only is the entire team that originally worked on Doom gone, but above all, it'll be using the id5 engine.

I hear they're titling it "Doom-ed"
 
I could end up being wrong, but I still think D4 has a good chance of being a good Doom game. I also actually really like the Tech 5 engine. The shortcomings with textures aren't necessarily the fault of the engine. There are parts in the games that use it that are absolutely stunning, so it is ENTIRELY possible to make a beautiful (and beautifully running) game on this engine. The dev just needs to pay particularly close attention to their texture work.

Every time I hear people complaining about textures popping in, or ugly textures, I just wish I could show them RAGE running on my not-even-that-high-end PC. It's fucking beautiful. There are a handful of REALLY ugly textures, especially in some of the sewer areas, but that's art direction and NOT the engine. I also get zero textures popping in, even when whipping the mouse around. I experienced some of this when it was first released, but it was fixed. Always confuses me. I'll be checking out Wolfenstein the next time it goes on sale, and I'm expecting pretty much the same thing. A good game that looks good most of the time, but occasionally has some questionable texture decisions. I see this in MOST games actually. Great textures in most places, and then some oddball low res ugly-tex TM. So, I guess I just don't get the hatred for the engine. People in a forum like this should be able to get it running quite well with a few config hacks too if it's not quite to their liking. that's another thing that surprises me.

The only games I can think of right off the top of my head that had flawless texturing (for the time they were released at least) are Enclave, Riddick (butcher bay not dark athena) and actually I just picked up Hard Reset, and the textures are really nice on that too. Other games that are supposed to have amazing graphics (like the Crysis series for example) also have some bone-head low res ugly-tex TM textures.

Oh well, I guess I've beat this horse enough. It's always puzzling to me though...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The beta wasn't "provided". There was a website where purchasers pre-registered for a future beta invite code. Basically a "pre-order" for the beta.

On a side note, as much as I love me some Doom, I have some pretty serious reservations about D4. Not only is Carmack gone, not only is the entire team that originally worked on Doom gone, but above all, it'll be using the id5 engine.

I hear they're titling it "Doom-ed"
DoomEd? :D
 
I think I'm at the point I don't care if Doom 4 ever happens.
 
Not only is Carmack gone, not only is the entire team that originally worked on Doom gone, but above all, it'll be using the id5 engine.

So what you're saying is that it might actually be a fun game rather than a tech demo? :p
 
So what you're saying is that it might actually be a fun game rather than a tech demo? :p

Hmmm.... you might have a point there.

The Id Tech 5 engine has to either be fixed or abandoned, though. So far it's 0-2. It's a shame because I think it has a lot of potential.
 
Hmmm.... you might have a point there.

The Id Tech 5 engine has to either be fixed or abandoned, though. So far it's 0-2. It's a shame because I think it has a lot of potential.
I'm looking forward to seeing what The Evil Within does with the engine. Hopefully it will be 1-2 after October 21.
 
I just bought this game and played it for the first 2 hours, its alright but the graphics really looked dated, not to mention the game is 40GB and the texture popping issue that plagued RAGE is still present, I mean seriously WTF? At least I got this game for half price.
 
I guess I might be the exception since the graphics don't seem to bother me. Apparently it seems if you don't surpass Metro Last Light graphics, you're labeled as having Half Life 1 graphics.
 
Nah, HL1 did not have the texture pop, which is WAY more immersion breaking than lower res textures and models. Then again, I can barely play games like GTA where models pop-in as you approach them... ugh, that kinda behavior just ticks the crap outta me, unfortunately...
 
I could end up being wrong, but I still think D4 has a good chance of being a good Doom game. I also actually really like the Tech 5 engine. The shortcomings with textures aren't necessarily the fault of the engine. There are parts in the games that use it that are absolutely stunning, so it is ENTIRELY possible to make a beautiful (and beautifully running) game on this engine. The dev just needs to pay particularly close attention to their texture work.

Every time I hear people complaining about textures popping in, or ugly textures, I just wish I could show them RAGE running on my not-even-that-high-end PC. It's fucking beautiful. There are a handful of REALLY ugly textures, especially in some of the sewer areas, but that's art direction and NOT the engine. I also get zero textures popping in, even when whipping the mouse around. I experienced some of this when it was first released, but it was fixed. Always confuses me. I'll be checking out Wolfenstein the next time it goes on sale, and I'm expecting pretty much the same thing. A good game that looks good most of the time, but occasionally has some questionable texture decisions. I see this in MOST games actually. Great textures in most places, and then some oddball low res ugly-tex TM. So, I guess I just don't get the hatred for the engine. People in a forum like this should be able to get it running quite well with a few config hacks too if it's not quite to their liking. that's another thing that surprises me.

The only games I can think of right off the top of my head that had flawless texturing (for the time they were released at least) are Enclave, Riddick (butcher bay not dark athena) and actually I just picked up Hard Reset, and the textures are really nice on that too. Other games that are supposed to have amazing graphics (like the Crysis series for example) also have some bone-head low res ugly-tex TM textures.

Oh well, I guess I've beat this horse enough. It's always puzzling to me though...

You dont need to show me rage on your not so hot system, ive played it on my billy bad ass system and it still looks like shit.
 
You dont need to show me rage on your not so hot system, ive played it on my billy bad ass system and it still looks like shit.

Then I think your perspective may be a bit skewed, or you might be doing it wrong... You may not enjoy the game, and it may not even be your style of art, but to say it looks like shit is absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

What games don't look like shit to you? Also, what exactly is it about RAGE that looks like shit to you? I will freely admit they made some bad choices with SOME textures, especially in some underground areas, but most of them are very good. Also the way they're mapped to the geometry is excellent in most areas.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to thread necro, but I just finished the game.

If you can get past the annoying forced videos, the game is actually quite fun. The last level in particular was pretty damn good. I liked the Matrix style halls where I could blow everyone away with explosives and bullets. :D

I got the game for $21.99 (another thread on here). For that price, money well spent. I'm going to play through it again on its alternate timeline.
 
Late to the party as I am just now far enough into the game where I feel like I can comment on it. Moon base level. I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with this game. You can actually tell that ex-Riddick devs worked on it, but tried to adhere to many of id's aesthetics. Despite a few RAGE-esque low-res textures here and there, the game is actually quite stunning visually. The use of color (and lack of color, in some situations), character design, etc. are really quite cool. Also, as with RAGE, on my hardware I am seeing zero in the way of texture pop-in. I've left texture compression on, and play with Vsync and triple buffering forced in the Nvidia control panel. Anyway, big fan of this game, and will probably play the alternate timeline however small a difference it might be. Looking at it now, I would have paid full price for it. (got a good deal though recently) Also, at least so far, this is the best game I've played this year (that came out this year anyway.) It has my seal of approval for GotY title unless something amazing comes out this fall.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to give this game a whirl.... I have high hopes. Seems like generally positive feedback on this one.... I am hoping too that flawless ws works for the multi-monitor support. There's a profile for it.. fingers crossed it just works.

PS: I can look the other way if the texture issues are not too bad... as long as the content is really good.
 
I'm going to give this game a whirl.... I have high hopes. Seems like generally positive feedback on this one.... I am hoping too that flawless ws works for the multi-monitor support. There's a profile for it.. fingers crossed it just works.

PS: I can look the other way if the texture issues are not too bad... as long as the content is really good.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The game is just fun. It's also quite beautiful. There are a few lower res textures around, but I never really noticed them while I was actually playing. The characters were enjoyable, the story was pretty good too. I'll definitely be playing it again at some point.
 
from the screenies I have seen it does look nice.. I am so ready to play something new and good.. bring it!
 
I picked it up myself a couple of weeks ago. I only have put in maybe 2-3 hours so far, but it's fun as hell!
 
Im wanting to get this more and more because it seems all the user reviews are pretty positive. Despite the bad press it got at release, it seems to not really be a big issue and most people that play it seem to really like it. Guess Im gonna have to pull the trigger on it pretty soon. Maybe I can catch it on a sale.
 
Im wanting to get this more and more because it seems all the user reviews are pretty positive. Despite the bad press it got at release, it seems to not really be a big issue and most people that play it seem to really like it. Guess Im gonna have to pull the trigger on it pretty soon. Maybe I can catch it on a sale.

I got it on sale for a good price, but looking back now that I've finished it once, I would have been happy to pay full price for it.
 
I just got my physical copy.. it's got like 7 disks.. lol. As convenient the steam downloads are there's something fun about loading the game up the old school way sometimes.. I dunno... maybe just for the nostalgia of it. ;)

edit: only 4 dvds after all.
 
Last edited:
I just got my physical copy.. it's got like 7 disks.. lol. As convenient the steam downloads are there's something fun about loading the game up the old school way sometimes.. I dunno... maybe just for the nostalgia of it. ;)

What are these... "discs?" you speak of? :D hehehe

Well, sometime tomorrow when you get those all loaded in and installed, you've got a lot of enjoyment ahead of you. The only reason I haven't jumped right back in to play the alternate bits is because I have to finish up a project before I can spend time playing games again.
 
What are these... "discs?" you speak of? :D hehehe

Well, sometime tomorrow when you get those all loaded in and installed, you've got a lot of enjoyment ahead of you. The only reason I haven't jumped right back in to play the alternate bits is because I have to finish up a project before I can spend time playing games again.

I know, right? hah!

and the wife will be out of town all next week. things are aligning in the universe for a good gaming experience. ;)
 
Nice! Yeah, the first time I played the original Mass Effect, my wife was out of town for a few days with our kids, and it spanned a weekend. I was able to play it pretty much straight through. Haven't had many opportunities to do that these days with so many other things taking all my time.
 
Well, I have gotten into the game a bit... it's getting really good. It runs really well on my SLI / Surround setup with Hayden's Flawless WS (64bit) running in the background. The only issue is v-sync which people have complained about. If you use anything but adaptive you take a huge performance hit - and with adaptive I am still getting a quite a bit of tearing.. I am just dealing with it. The game looks really nice though for the most part and it's fun.
 

Probably complaints about the engine, same as RAGE.

Right. The review sites gave it a hard time because of the engine and bugs and shit like that but the actual reviews and posts Ive read from people that bought the game have been pretty positive and most seem to really like it. Maybe kinda like Batman Origins which was buggy as hell but was such a great fucking game (IMO at least) that it was still worth buying.
 
Right. The review sites gave it a hard time because of the engine and bugs and shit like that but the actual reviews and posts Ive read from people that bought the game have been pretty positive and most seem to really like it. Maybe kinda like Batman Origins which was buggy as hell but was such a great fucking game (IMO at least) that it was still worth buying.

It has really solid game mechanics and the story, characters, etc are really well done. You are required to have VSYNC on to play this game and even then it gives me headaches from the broken textures. So I can't play it for long before I have to put it down for a few days. It's nowhere as bad as RAGE, but it's still there. I like the game in general and enjoyed playing it.
 
It has really solid game mechanics and the story, characters, etc are really well done. You are required to have VSYNC on to play this game and even then it gives me headaches from the broken textures. So I can't play it for long before I have to put it down for a few days. It's nowhere as bad as RAGE, but it's still there. I like the game in general and enjoyed playing it.

That is so strange. I play everything with VSync just because I prefer it, but I have zero texture issues. Not a single one. I tried really hard to whip the mouse around and spot the pop-in, but no. I didn't have this issue on RAGE either though. (except when I was still running an AMD card right when RAGE was released) I use plain old VSync too. My frame rate never seemed to drop below perfectly synced either. This is on a 660Ti even. However, I don't use even medium levels of AA, and kept blur on low settings. I've never cared too much about AA, so that's the only thing that I can think of that would be different about my setup than most people on here.

Edit: Just noticed your sig, and that you're using an AMD card. I'm wondering if they still didn't get it quite right on AMD. That doesn't forgive either party (AMD for drivers) or (id/Machine for not checking this) but I'm guessing it's still AMD related based on the history with Tech 5 (and even Tech 4 to a degree on AMD)
 
I have tearing issues with Nvidia SLI/surround. I am running an driver a couple releases back though maybe time to update to current.

edit: just some quick googling I saw:

This worked a treat on my 670.
Disable v-sync in game. Force it on nvdia control panel.
In game graphics options disable "screen-space reflections".

I didn't try that with the reflections disabled so I'll give it a go tonight.
 
That is so strange. I play everything with VSync just because I prefer it, but I have zero texture issues. Not a single one. I tried really hard to whip the mouse around and spot the pop-in, but no. I didn't have this issue on RAGE either though. (except when I was still running an AMD card right when RAGE was released) I use plain old VSync too. My frame rate never seemed to drop below perfectly synced either. This is on a 660Ti even. However, I don't use even medium levels of AA, and kept blur on low settings. I've never cared too much about AA, so that's the only thing that I can think of that would be different about my setup than most people on here.

Edit: Just noticed your sig, and that you're using an AMD card. I'm wondering if they still didn't get it quite right on AMD. That doesn't forgive either party (AMD for drivers) or (id/Machine for not checking this) but I'm guessing it's still AMD related based on the history with Tech 5 (and even Tech 4 to a degree on AMD)

I was watching the professional streamers play when the game first came out because at that time I figured it was as bad as RAGE, was so I was going to skip it. They had the same issues with Nvidia 780ti's, 770's, 680's, 660ti's, etc. All of them had Intel quads or hex-core. All of them had to turn on VSYNC to get it "right".

But after they turned on the VSYNC most of them seemed to be ok with the game. They still complained about it a little towards the end of the game about pop in, but they enjoyed themselves. So I gave it a try for the price on the Steam Summer Sale and I enjoyed it. I just couldn't play it like I would say Warframe where a typical session starts at 5am and ends at 3am. :) :) :)

I would have to cut it short after 3 - 4 hours because the muscles behind my eyes felt like I was lifting weights is the best way to describe it. In the game RAGE I would damn near have an epileptic attack trying to play that game after 5 minutes. I don't have epilepsy, but damn that game hurts so bad. Really bad! I rarely use VSYNC in games. They usually run very smoothly on my PC.

Maybe it's drivers, maybe the game needs a SSD to perform properly, maybe it doesn't like my electricity powering it. :) Whatever it is IDTECH 5 just doesn't play well with my setup. If these 50GB install games continue to come out I'll get a bigger SSD to house them. Seems like they almost require a SSD to load the textures properly.
 
yeah - as well as it does run on my system the tearing and something about maybe my mouse sensitivity or something.. it's a little hard on the eyes after about 3 hours. Whereas with some other very smooth shooters I can play all day with zero eye fatigue. I'm going to monkey around with all the settings tonight to try and get it smoother.
 
Yeah, it seems that it doesn't play well with a lot of peoples' setups, which is really too bad because it's actually a great engine IMO. I'm just not sure why my lowlyish machines don't seem to exhibit many of the issues that people seem to see. Must be the electricity. :D Though if that were the case, mine would be problematic too. (well, it's vintage electricity in my house) hehehe

I force VSync and Triple Buffering from the Nvidia control panel. I'm just in the habit of running this way. This also solved issues I had with things like Dead Space, where I also felt like everyone had issues where I didn't. I still set it to VSync in the game, but also force through the CP. Some people hate the extra couple of milliseconds of latency that can be caused by TB, but the silky smooth synced display outweighs that for me.
 
we have very good juice in this house... finally! Our last house every time anything turned on the lights would dim.. it bothered the shit out of me omg!!! the damn fridge compressor would turn on and I could hear the air filter in our bedroom slow down for a second. OYE! So it's not that. I think maybe SLI might be an issue.. dare I say the 'micro stutter' words? doh.. just did.. I have never really had that issue but at my current settings the game has got something to it that's edgy.
 
we have very good juice in this house... it's not that. I think maybe SLI might be an issue.. dare I say the 'micro stutter' words? doh.. just did.. I have never really had that issue but at my current settings the game has got something to it that's edgy.

Did you enable texture compression? A lot of people with high end systems seem to disable it, but I've heard it makes a big difference in performance without any tangible effect on texture quality. You might try toggling that in the game.
 
Back
Top