• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wiretap's Home Theater

The carpet is scheduled to be installed on Wednesday next week. The paint on the walls has to harden incase they scrape it putting in the carpet.
 
I cant wait to see how this turns out... the work appears to be of excellent quality!
 
Update..

Finally found the right pass-through box at Home Depot for the wall where all my speaker wire and video wire is coming through. It is actually supposed to be a recessed power outlet box, but I just dremeled out the backside of it. It looks perfect for what I'm using it for.

I also got the rest of the ethernet boxes and power outlet covers installed, so the room is just waiting for carpet which will arrive Wednesday I hope. It is going to be a gray berber carpet with a pad beneath.

Right now I'm just working on finishing up the final coat of paint on the white doors and touching up a little bit of the trim that needs it.

I'm still waiting on the projector mount from Perfect Mounts. I'll have to shoot them an email tonight to see what is going on. I ordered it on the 4th of July, and it still hasn't shipped yet.

th_IMG_3273.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3273.jpg

th_IMG_3274.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3274.jpg

th_IMG_3276.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3276.jpg

th_IMG_3275.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3275.jpg

th_pano12.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/pano12.jpg
 
Update..

The carpet is installed! It finally looks like a real room, and it looks awesome. The pictures don't really capture colors and quality that well, sorry, my camera blows.

But, the carpet has a few small ripples where they didn't stretch it properly, so they are coming back tomorrow to fix it right.

As soon as the building inspector comes out, I'll start on moving all my electronics down there. I am also ordering these seats tonight. I cleared off a credit card to make room. :D
http://www.interiorexpress.com/Home_Theater_Seats-Cannes_Home_Theater_Seats_6_Black_FREE_SHIP.html

th_pano13.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/pano13.jpg

th_IMG_3299.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3299.jpg

th_IMG_3298.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3298.jpg
 
looking good. oh and if u didnt already open the boxes that were posted earlyer u should take unboxing pics.
 
What is your carpentry background? Is this your trade, livelyhood?

I have no carpentry skills. I can cut straights, 45's, and nail them together... that is about it. I had a professional come in and do all the work. :p The only wood cutting I did was for making the projector screen frame.

Oh yea, and I just put together some IKEA Galant tables. I'll have pix in a sec. Sit tight.
 
Small update..

The IKEA Galant desks are put together, and I put some stuff on them just to get it out of my living room. I'll probably re-arrange some of the items on the desk when I get everything setup in the final stages. But the desks went together super easy in less than a 20 minutes, and they are sturdy as a rock. The quality is very impressive for less than $250 for both, including all the legs and computer holder. I actually bought them quite a while ago when they were on sale. I'm going to have plenty of space now to build computers and all that good stuff. In the computer holder on the right will be my torrent server. ^_^

th_IMG_3300.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3300.jpg

th_IMG_3302.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3302.jpg

Here is a view of the entry way at the bottom of the stairs. The blue matches pretty well with the gray carpet. The door straight ahead is the theater room. There are two closets. One very small one on the right with the water meter in it, and a large one on the left. The stairs are to the immediate left, and the laundry room is behind me.

th_IMG_3305.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3305.jpg
 
starting to shape up, Your work almost inspires me almost. I have just determined I'm to lazy.
 
Ohhh nice seats! Its looking awesome! I'm looking forward to more updates when you progress further with it.
 
yea I'd have to say, very very very nice set up... your in debt aren't you :p
 
Man good job on this project, I've been following it for a while now but haven't got around to commenting on it. It just blows my mind to see what you did to your basement :eek:
 
Update... OMGEEEEE?!?! :eek:

Got the speakers installed, got the rack in, and 90% built the screen. It just needs the black border built around it. I'll do a separate update probably tomorrow for the screen. As of right now it is hanging perfectly at the end of the basement just for a test fit. No pix of it yet, I'll make you guys wait. :D

One minor setback is the ceiling mount for the projector. The little spider arms that screw into the projector are about 1/4'' too short, so I'll have to order the extenders. I was hoping to have it put up so I could test it out. Looks like I'll have to wait another week.

I did do a test of the audio with a DVD player hooked up for DVD-Audio via Toslink. It sounds freaking amazing. The audio is so incredibly clear and the sub actually feels like it is vibrating the floor... and it's cement. lol. I cranked it up and nothing rattles. It couldn't be any more perfect.

In the rack:
Top: Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Receiver
2nd: Antec NSK2400 (nothing in it yet, still building)
3rd: Belkin PureAV PF60

And of course, the pictures...

th_pano14.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/pano14.jpg

th_IMG_3336.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3336.jpg

th_IMG_3307.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3307.jpg

th_IMG_3326.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3326.jpg

th_IMG_3329.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3329.jpg

th_IMG_3322.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3322.jpg

th_IMG_3332.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3332.jpg
 
Quite a inspiring build, giving me idea's.

Nice work though, looks like quite a pleasurable place to be.
 
thanks for finishing my home theater for me


i'll be there shortly to claim it as my own.





good work though ;)
 
Update!! The screen is built, and my god is it beautiful. I saw a $1200 screen at the Best Buy Magnolia theater for sale, and the one I built actually looks better. :eek: I spent around $125 in parts.

I already posted a few pages back of building the frame, so we'll skip that part. I started off from there by stretching the screen material over the frame in an art canvas fastening technique. You can look it up on google if you don't know how to do it. Basically you start from the middle and stretch your way to the ends.

th_IMG_3308.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3308.jpg

th_IMG_3311.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3311.jpg

th_IMG_3313.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3313.jpg

Then I used some nice molding to go around the edges which will later be covered in a suede blackout cloth. Simple 45 degree cuts work best since this is rounded molding.

th_IMG_3352.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3352.jpg

th_IMG_3354.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3354.jpg

Now that it looks good with all the cuts perfect, it is time for the black suede to be put on. It staples to the back of the molding, then it will be wrapped around it and stapled to the backside of the screen later.

th_IMG_3357.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3357.jpg

At this point I am nailing down the molding to the screen frame. Note the black suede isn't stapled to the backside of the screen yet. I did this so I could nail it down, then put the suede over the top of the nails for a nice finished look. No nail heads will be visible this way.

th_IMG_3361.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3361.jpg
^--that's me, lawl

After all 4 sides of the molding went on perfectly, we stretched and stapled down the suede to the backside of the screen.

th_IMG_3366.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3366.jpg
^--my brother

th_IMG_3365.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3365.jpg

And... it's done. Freaking perfect. It actually turned out twice as good as I thought. I am still amazed.

th_IMG_3371.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3371.jpg

th_IMG_3370.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3370.jpg

th_pano15.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/pano15.jpg

Also, I made a panel to fit into that window so no light comes through. I used some of the extra black suede stapled to a thin piece of paneling to go in there. Took less than 10 minutes. ^_^

th_IMG_3367.jpg

Full Size: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_3367.jpg
 
Oooh... pretty!

I'll take 2!


Wow, excellent work, and congratulations!:eek:

BTW, which DVD (HD/BluRay) Player did you decide to go with? I didn't see one on your component rack, but you said you were listening to a DVD Audio disc.
 
Oooh... pretty!

I'll take 2!


Wow, excellent work, and congratulations!:eek:

BTW, which DVD (HD/BluRay) Player did you decide to go with? I didn't see one on your component rack, but you said you were listening to a DVD Audio disc.

For now, I'll be using the Xbox360 HDDVD player right hooked up to the HTPC until a cheap (<$250) internal ROM drive becomes available, hopefully a dual format HDDVD/Blu-ray.

Before when I was listening to DVD audio, I had just hooked up a DVD player temporarily to the receiver. It was an old one I had laying around.
 
Looks good bro. What is the seating going to be?
 
Are nex-gen DVDs putting out TrueHD yet? I am guessing yes?!?
I know they are both suppose to be putting out that format.
 
With the seating are you going to arrange one row of seats behind the other. If so are you going to raise the seats in back or just leave it level with others.
 
Let me know how comfy those seats are :)
Alrighty, will do when I get them. Maybe you can stop by sometime after it's done.
Are nex-gen DVDs putting out TrueHD yet? I am guessing yes?!?
I know they are both suppose to be putting out that format.
Yes, I have a few HDDVD's with TrueHD audio tracks.
What are you guys doing for cooling/heating of the theater?
Check worklog, kthx.
Are you going to play any consoles on that setup W1retap? Looks awesome!:)
consoles are nub.
Please get the projector going, KTHX.
already tested it out, works awesome and looks freaking amazing. I can't mount it yet due to the mount not fitting. Perfectmounts is sending me longer legs for the mount right now. I'm holding off for official pics so I can calibrate it properly.
With the seating are you going to arrange one row of seats behind the other. If so are you going to raise the seats in back or just leave it level with others.
Two rows of 3. I'll see if the back need to be raised up. If they do, I'll build a raised carpeted box.
 
Do the specifications on the projector tell you how far to mount it from the screen or does this distance just depend on how big your screen is?
 
Back
Top