• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wiretap's Home Theater

Wow..been awhile since I've sign back in the thread..Wire..It looks great.!!!.I know your free time at the movies is a Beautiful thing... :D ;)
 
Freaking epic... So... want to build like an underground command center under my restroom where I could just sit on the crapper and flush and be put into a secret computer room? Cause if you could do that for me that'd totally be awesome.
 
Got the idea from meet the fockers except his was under a bed... Maybe under a bed would be better....
 
Update:

I am finally getting around to building a box now that I have some spare time. My brother got a job at Home Depot, so he cut up some wood. :D I just built the box today. It only took about 2hrs of work, if that. I bought some wood screws at the local hardware store, and they were total junk that just kept stripping, lol cheap metal. But finally I got everything together right.

It's a pretty large box, about 103 inches wide, 65 inches deep, and 6 inches of height for the chairs to sit on. I made it deep enough so when the chairs are reclined, people can still sneak by in the front.

Total cost: $80 in supplies & wood, now I just need some carpet.

And yeah, this thing is solid. It could probably hold up my GTI.. lulz

th_IMAGE_072.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_072.jpg

th_IMAGE_087.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_087.jpg

th_IMAGE_096.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_096.jpg

th_IMAGE_097.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_097.jpg

Sorry for garbage pix.. camera phone sucks. I'll get better 'finished' pictures after it's carpeted.
 
I was wondering if you were ever going to do that. To bad in texas a basement is very very rare. If i ever get the chance to build a house... 100% going to have a basement, builder wont do it then I will take my money to some one else. It's all free Square footage in your home.
 
Correct, basements = win.

And here's another update.. I finished the box, going with a slightly more dark contrasting carpet. $60 for the carpet. It's a 12 foot by 7 foot piece and I trimmed some off of it.

Wrapping the carpet:

th_IMAGE_098.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_098.jpg

th_IMAGE_099.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_099.jpg

th_IMAGE_100.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_100.jpg

th_IMAGE_101.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMAGE_101.jpg

And some finished pictures:

th_IMG_0570.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/IMG_0570.jpg

th_pano5-17.jpg

Zoom: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Basement/pano5-17.jpg
 
Wow man... I haven't checked back on this thread since you finished things up a while back. Like the box, looks good.

Overall a great project and very well done. I must say, It makes me wish I had a basement to put something like this together!!

 
I need to show my dad this forum because we have an empty basement that needs to be filled with something nice.
 
Just curious, how big is your screen diagonal, and what aspect ratio? I looked through the thread and couldn't find that :). I'm running an 84" 16:9 myself, and love it. Only 720p, though :p. Your setup looks nice :D!
 
w1retap,

I know that you have "theater red" walls, but where did you get the paint from? I am going to be painting one large room in my house and was wanting a color exactly like that
 
Just curious, how big is your screen diagonal, and what aspect ratio? I looked through the thread and couldn't find that :). I'm running an 84" 16:9 myself, and love it. Only 720p, though :p. Your setup looks nice :D!
105'' diagonal, 16:9 ratio.
 
I'll bet the movie studios don't have a screening studio as nice as your basement.
I don't know about that. :p
w1retap,

I know that you have "theater red" walls, but where did you get the paint from? I am going to be painting one large room in my house and was wanting a color exactly like that
Sherwin Williams. Good luck, the paint is super hard to paint with, and pretty costly. It takes several coats (3 or 4) to even get looking halfway decent. It's probably the hardest paint to paint with. You'll definitely see roller marks and color contrast for the first 3 coats.
 
i just got around to seeing this thread, and everything's looking great....i want to build a home theater similar to this myself, but i kinda need to buy/build my own house to put it in first.... :D

a couple of things i thought i'd mention (after-the-fact, obviously):

1) your issues with the paint could have maybe been lessened if you had used a layer of Kilz on top of that first coat of primer. that stuff is good shit, it's pretty bright white, and designed especially for covering up anything else that was on the walls, so that the color you put on top of it shows up a lot better. possibly could have saved a layer or two of that expensive theater red paint.....check it out if/when you decide to do something like this again when you move out of your current place.

2) screenshots look good, but you should try to get some shots with someone/something else in the picture, to show the scale of the screen, the way they do over on the lumenlab forums.

anyway, nice work, maybe one day i'll be able to do something like that.....
 
Great setup, but no blu-ray = fail. I don't like the companies any more than you, but some of the blu-rays I own (Lost Season 4, Ratatouille) just look spectacular. And there's no other legal way to get new movies like The Dark Knight with that level of quality...
 
hey wiretap, how's that sub working out for you considering it's concrete under that carpeting? I would imagine you're not getting as much "feel" as you would in a normal wood flooring.
 
Great setup, but no blu-ray = fail. I don't like the companies any more than you, but some of the blu-rays I own (Lost Season 4, Ratatouille) just look spectacular. And there's no other legal way to get new movies like The Dark Knight with that level of quality...
I have a combo drive in the HTPC that plays both Blu-ray and HD DVD. You'll probably have to look in the other finished gallery thread, it has more updated pictures. But Blu-ray itself = fail. It has caused me so many headaches and software/firmware updates, etc. I want to kick the HTPC sometimes because of all the bullshit DRM causing me to have to update practically every time I buy a new BD movie. It's really annoying when you have guests over and PowerDVD won't play a Blu-ray unless you update it. I've tried WinDVD and ArcSoft TMT as well.. they both suck and don't play some titles or they'll cause hard locks/restarts on the computer. Right now I'm running PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 v3319a for HD DVD, and PowerDVD Ultra 8 for Blu-ray. Both are installed side by side and working.
hey wiretap, how's that sub working out for you considering it's concrete under that carpeting? I would imagine you're not getting as much "feel" as you would in a normal wood flooring.
Oh, there's "feel". :p That sub hits pretty damn hard,. I've had a few chicks over that told me to turn it down, lol. It hits hard enough to where you can actually feel it sending the bass hit through the cement. If I set a glass of water on the computer table in the back and the bass hits, the water ripples a little. There have been a few people on these forums watch movies in my theater, and they can confirm it hits hard. You can feel it kick you in the chest. :D
 
I have a combo drive in the HTPC that plays both Blu-ray and HD DVD. You'll probably have to look in the other finished gallery thread, it has more updated pictures. But Blu-ray itself = fail. It has caused me so many headaches and software/firmware updates, etc. I want to kick the HTPC sometimes because of all the bullshit DRM causing me to have to update practically every time I buy a new BD movie. It's really annoying when you have guests over and PowerDVD won't play a Blu-ray unless you update it. I've tried WinDVD and ArcSoft TMT as well.. they both suck and don't play some titles or they'll cause hard locks/restarts on the computer. Right now I'm running PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 v3319a for HD DVD, and PowerDVD Ultra 8 for Blu-ray. Both are installed side by side and working.

Oh, there's "feel". :p That sub hits pretty damn hard,. I've had a few chicks over that told me to turn it down, lol. It hits hard enough to where you can actually feel it sending the bass hit through the cement. If I set a glass of water on the computer table in the back and the bass hits, the water ripples a little. There have been a few people on these forums watch movies in my theater, and they can confirm it hits hard. You can feel it kick you in the chest. :D

nothing like being kicked in the chest to make you feel all good inside :D
 
dang im late to this, but this HT is epic man.

props to you and your family for the effort, looks great :D
 
I'm blown away, this is pretty much the exact setup I want when I get a house. Only thing I would have done differently is couches instead of theater seats cause I'm big on lounging, but the theater seats definitely give it a very refined look. You should totally post this in the Home Theater logs because your setup is amazing.
 
Thanks for bumping this, I had never read it, and it was amazing. W1retap, hats off to you man, awesome setup!
 
Back
Top