Windows 9 Coming November 2014?

I'm not sure why everyone hates 8. I've had no problems with it at all on the machines I haven't installed it on.

Windows 7 will become my Windows XP, just hold on to it until you can't anymore which should be like 8 more years.

so... windows 9 will be little more than a service pack addon to windows 8?

i'm not holding my breath that they'll scrap that hot garbage mess ui of windows 8 and go back to the drawing board.

You really haven't been paying attention then.
A few months ago we switched our entire infrastructure over to Windows 8 from a mixed 2003/XP/7 environment. So far the experience is going very well. :)

so... windows 9 will be little more than a service pack addon to windows 8?

Yep Windows 9 = Windows 8 SP2, except that you'll have to pay for it.

I see Windows 7 staying around for a long long time.

A few months ago we switched our entire infrastructure over to Windows 8 from a mixed 2003/XP/7 environment. So far the experience is going very well. :)
(Forgot to mention the company has 500-1000 employees and 4 overseas locations.)

I've learned to just stay quiet. Those that love it will tell those that hate it they are using it wrong. Those that hate it tell those that like it that they are just MS whores that don't know what they are talking about. There really is no middle ground. No matter what, you're wrong.

Sure the middle ground is MS makes Windows auto-detect what type of device you're on at bootup and whether or not its touch capable, and/or give users a choice what they boot into by default. But in their arrogance they won't do that, so Window's slow bleedout continues while the arguments rage on.

Its not an issue of love or hate -- it really comes down to an issue of choice versus no choice. And people that insist "no choice is good. you'll get used to it" are in fact astroturfers. If Metro was so compelling for desktop users, they wouldn't have to force it - it could flourish and grow organically. StartMenu replacements are not the longterm answer -- their existence is day by day, not guaranteed, for as long as MS decides not to patch them out.

Already? Releasing Windows 9 or whatever its going to be called in late 2014 seems so soon. Lets hope Microsoft will not mess this one up though I'm not counting on it, since they are focused on tablet/touchscreen devices.

meh. I'll be sticking with w7. It is easy to use, finding programs on it is not very difficult, and I can't justify the cost of w8 lol. New video card before anything else. Priorities.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Sure the middle ground is MS makes Windows auto-detect what type of device you're on at bootup and whether or not its touch capable, and/or give users a choice what they boot into by default. But in their arrogance they won't do that, so Window's slow bleedout continues while the arguments rage on.

Its not an issue of love or hate -- it really comes down to an issue of choice versus no choice. And people that insist "no choice is good. you'll get used to it" are in fact astroturfers. If Metro was so compelling for desktop users, they wouldn't have to force it - it could flourish and grow organically. StartMenu replacements are not the longterm answer -- their existence is day by day, not guaranteed, for as long as MS decides not to patch them out.

Exactly. Give people a choice and many more people would be using it.

Used WinXP as my primary OS for almost ten years before making the switch to Win7 only because I needed DX11, otherwise I'd still be using it. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up using Win7 for nearly as long.

I'm feeling mixed opinions here...

1. Windows 8 was another ME/Vista, where they screwed up majorly and are getting huge backlash so they want to fix it ASAP and hope people will forgive them and keep using windows

or

2. They're just squeezing more money out of people (I bet they try the apple model without apple's prices - i.e. yearly-or-so upgrades for $200 each) and are going to shove Windows 8/Metro/etc down our throats until they see a noticeable decline in sales.

Personally, I hated Windows 8, it's a tablet interface running on a desktop. Even if I *can* turn off most of the crap (and afaik there's no way to turn off the "start page" without a registry hack) I shouldn't have to. I understand and agree in theory having 1 interface across all the devices is a great idea, but when the physical interface hardware is so different, it just doesn't work...

To those of you who hate Windows 8 - what makes you think Windows 9 will be any different?

Nothing at all. As a couple others have pointed out, there's no sign that it will be anything but Win8 SE.

I dont get why people get excited over OS upgrades anyway. Unless there's some huge leap in performance, an OS should get out and stay out of the way of whatever applications I need to run. Which is the opposite of what ms seems to be aiming for lately.

Will hang onto Win7 a good long time, with various Linux distros as required for certain functions. 8)

I'm waiting for 9 to see what it has to offer me. I have no reason o upgrade to 8 on my main machine. Sticking with 7 till I can see what 9 offers.

My plan as well. With all the stupidity built into Win8, I don't see upgrading until they can fix it. I want a start button and aero and I don't want to go into the retarded Modern UI unless I choose to, which would be never.

I'm not sure why everyone hates 8. I've had no problems with it at all on the machines I haven't installed it on.

Quoted for truth. Amazing how many people don't get it. If you like/love Win8, good for you. Just realize some people don't feel the same way and allow us our opinion. The above is exactly my problem with Win8. There's no reason in my mind to have Metro/Modern on a desktop machine. Had they put in the choice to disable it, I would have upgraded with no fuss. Maybe one day they'll realize this, but I doubt it. I foresee using Windows 7 until support runs out.

I just hope the next DirectX and the one after it can run on Windows 7. I don't care after that because I'll replace the PC with some touch thingy.

In the past, the driving force behind a new OS was the new hardware. Things like USB, USB2, CD, DVD, etc were things we really wanted. And we needed a new OS to properly support them.

So what about the current "next big things" in hardware? I'm not panting for blueray, thunderbolt, touchscreens, or USB3. That means I have no real need for a new OS. I'm about to upgrade the OS on one of my computers for the first time, but only so I can run Office 2013. And only because I have an extra Win7 license collecting dust.

Consider this: My Win98 computers were impractical to keep using by the time they were 6 years old. My XP computers are 7-9 yo and fully functional and useful. The hardware has hit a plateau, so who cares about Win9?

Next year MS is going to force me out of WinXP, so I'm trying to switch over to Linux on these old computers. So far it isn't looking real practical. I may buy new computers next year, but I won't be happy about it.

I just hope the next DirectX and the one after it can run on Windows 7. I don't care after that because I'll replace the PC with some touch thingy.
Isn't the "next" DirectX that is implemented/supported by Windows 8 already locked out from Windows 7, or was that just IE?

hmmm, Google likes dessert/sweets. gingerbread, ice cream sandwich, jelly bean and key lime pie... so MS is going with colors. MS is obsessed with google and im starting to hate both of them

Isn't the "next" DirectX that is implemented/supported by Windows 8 already locked out from Windows 7, or was that just IE?

you're right looks like microsoft will restrict DirectX 11.1 to Windows 8 only :eek:

I don't miss the start menu... but I never liked it in the first place, it always seemed a bit finicky. I never really liked the windows 7/vista "theme" and also prefer the simpler win8 blocky style.

I feel bad for the folks who still can't bring themselves to get over these changes. Is there a petition or something to try and get MS to include some options in the future to bring back the missing elements?

Why petition? There's a few programs that restore the Start menu for people that want it and at least one of them doesn't cost money. Though giving Stardock $5 doesn't seem hideously costly either.

I am not buying windows 9 unless it is really an improved windows 7 and not a fucking touch screen OS glued onto windows 7 like windows 8 is.

I've learned to just stay quiet. Those that love it will tell those that hate it they are using it wrong. Those that hate it tell those that like it that they are just MS whores that don't know what they are talking about. There really is no middle ground. No matter what, you're wrong.

If people don't like the new UI then they don't like it, that's fine. The issue I have with some Windows 8 opponents are their incredibly broad generalizations or factually incorrect statements that tend to show a back of day to day use. I don't see how it is possible for Windows 8 to be a flawed as some are saying particularly with keyboards and mice on the desktop. I've been doing the same things in 8 on the desktop as I've done in 7. Sure there are differences but on the desktop they aren't that radical, certainly not to the point for me that typical desktop work is anymore difficult or time consuming.

So again if one doesn't like it they don't like it and some people are going to have issues with it. But plenty aren't having issues with it as well.

I meant the middle ground of liking it. If someone says they like it but not hate it or love it - it's still not cool.... But, your outlook on the above is exactly what I've been thinking. If it's a touchscreen device, boot into Modern UI. If not, throw a Start button one there. Have an option in the Control Panel to have either as a default. One HUGE thing I'd love to see is a GPO for a style of 'classic mode' that does the same. It'd be perfect for enterprise. There are a lot of companies that aren't going to 8 because of the huge changes (it would take too much training to get end users adjusted). Some are because they just rolled out 7, but a lot are because of the new Modern UI.

"Naturally November is the perfect time ahead of the holiday season."

What?

"Jimmy, son, what would you like for Christmas? A B.B. gun? A dirt bike? The new Playstation?"
"No, dad, I want an operating system upgrade! You don't understand me at all!"

When I was a kid I asked for windows 98 since we had windows 95....They ended up giving me a new PC with 98 installed because it was more easy for them to understand.

and I asked some 3dfx voodoo on my birthdays.

but this was after I already got a playstation saturn and n64 snes genesis in past christmas.. those was my presants for most of the 90s.

I meant the middle ground of liking it. If someone says they like it but not hate it or love it - it's still not cool.... But, your outlook on the above is exactly what I've been thinking. If it's a touchscreen device, boot into Modern UI. If not, throw a Start button one there. Have an option in the Control Panel to have either as a default. One HUGE thing I'd love to see is a GPO for a style of 'classic mode' that does the same. It'd be perfect for enterprise. There are a lot of companies that aren't going to 8 because of the huge changes (it would take too much training to get end users adjusted). Some are because they just rolled out 7, but a lot are because of the new Modern UI.

Alternative user interface options would ease transition for a business environment. We're in that sort of situation. Part of the decision to stay with Windows 7 was due to the UI and the cost in productivity lost to users learning how Windows 8 fits into their workflow. The disruption simply costs more than any benefits we'd realize in making the change. At the moment, we're taking a wait and see attitude about the next OS release. If some 7-style elements that ease the transition are reintroduced, there'll probably be an upgrade performed at that time. If not, we'll take another look at user capability to determine if the user community has adopted it in the home which will make moving to it easier in the office.

If people don't like the new UI then they don't like it, that's fine. The issue I have with some Windows 8 opponents are their incredibly broad generalizations or factually incorrect statements that tend to show a back of day to day use. I don't see how it is possible for Windows 8 to be a flawed as some are saying particularly with keyboards and mice on the desktop. I've been doing the same things in 8 on the desktop as I've done in 7. Sure there are differences but on the desktop they aren't that radical, certainly not to the point for me that typical desktop work is anymore difficult or time consuming.

So again if one doesn't like it they don't like it and some people are going to have issues with it. But plenty aren't having issues with it as well.

What factual incorrect statements are you referring to? Most of the arguments are about Metro and its problems. You can't say some one opinion is wrong. Citing Microsoft studies is the equivalent of asking the Fox in the Hen House how the chickens taste like.

The differences are major enough that it does effect work flow.

I personally think Microsoft should bring back "NT" brand back.

Honestly, I never had a single issue with Vista, either. But, judging by the various posts on forums and newsgroups, many (MANY) other people did. Same with Windows 8. The small quirks that I find aren't enough to cause hate, but they are still inconveniences. Other people have problems that are much greater than what I've had. Some people are to the point where they just cannot use Windows 8 at all (either the UI or other changes). I may not have those issues, but there are a lot of people that are. I cannot ignore that. Sure, they are probably the very vocal minority, but they are very loud in their complaints. Not only is it in forums like this (and Microsoft's forums, and many others), but in trade publications, web sites, newspapers, magazines.... It's not just a few that are having issues. Microsoft really needs to address the concerns of the users having issues (either in a SP, Windows Blue or a future version). People are having problems, and it's not just the 'it's new - get used to it' type of things.

I can do things great on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard. So can my kids. But, read the various forums and other outlets. A lot of people can't. And some are more technical than I am. You can't ignore those people or pass them off as being wrong or doing it wrong or not smart enough or whatever. They are very valid complaints. Not everyone uses a PC the same way. It's very multipurpose. Some people use it for very basic things, and others for development and gaming. Some people are very good at multitasking and can use the Start menu the same time as viewing a site behind the start menu... Switching back and forth can be a pain. It does take more clicks/longer to access some things than before.

Just because people use their PC's differently and have issues with the new radical changes doesn't make them wrong, or their complaints invalid. Windows is an OS for 90% of the market, which varies from students to developers to Grandma's in the retirement home. You can't satisfy everyone, but you better satisfy the majority. And right now, that's not looking like it's the case. You and I and the 5 others on [H]ardForum are very much a minority when it comes to liking Windows 8 and not having problems.

I personally think Microsoft should bring back "NT" brand back.

Someone wrote an article on that the other day. Bring back NT for actual workstations. Separate the enterprise and consumer market again. I tend to agree. They really aren't one and the same. Windows 8 is a consumer product. It can be used in an enterprise, but it's not targeted towards that. No one would really allow the Windows Store (and Modern UI in turn) in their enterprise environment.

I keep seeing people side-stepping something I think should be important here...

"I use windows out on my desktop with a keyboard and mouse without a problem"

Well I dare you to put it on your laptop and watch your productivity decline. This was my beef with it. It took what were reasonable tablet gestures (swipe in from side, corner, etc) and integrated them into the touchpad. This SOUNDS like a great idea, but remember that touchpad is a couple inches in size, and your basically taking an inch off each side for gestures. I could barely use it unless I used the center 1" of space (which I rarely used) without triggering some menu, switching windows, etc. and keep in mind that while most of us here could hunt down and turn those features off even if they were buried or even required registry hacks, the average Joe (and often average CEO) cant and will just get frustrated.

THIS is the reason I hate windows 8, it wants to be a tablet OS and it wants to impose tablet features on laptop users who aren't using a massive 7-10+ inch interface, some of us are working with a 2" trackpad!

Yes, there are some features that are nice, like the 2-finger scrolling and 2-finger right-click, but there's a point where the more you pile on the less useful the device gets...

Obviously 8 isn't great enough for even you to switch...

Main Rig - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM... :p

This machine is setup for dual boot 7 & 8. All of my other machines are 8 only. That 7 install is over 3 years old and has a ton of stuff on it, no way I'm going to touch it with all the work I've put into setting it up.

double-post-due-to-lack-of-edit:

Also, I'd like to say that other than the "start page" (which is a disorganized mess after you install enough programs) Windows 8 on a *desktop* probably isn't that bad, I never played with the "picture password" feature I saw advertised, but other than that and the start page, it doesn't seem like it'd be that different from 7, my beef is that out of the box, a windows-8 laptop is a major PITA to use.

Back