Windows 9 Coming November 2014?

What I'm talking about isn't opinion but actual descriptions of tasks that people have made that simply aren't correct. For instance a couple of weeks ago there was a post around here about how tortuous adding a printer driver was in 8. The process to add a printer through the Control Panel on the desktop is virtually unchanged between 7 and 8. 8 will even add drivers for networked printers it can identify automatically.

I've seen this particular theme quite a bit where people complain about something that's so difficult in 8 yet the process works essentially the same as with 7 and it often involves the Control Panel and I have a feeling it is because people don't know about the Power Menu.

Actually Windows 8 and Windows 7 are not the same. I am not sure what you are refering too but the control panel integration with Metro is a fucking nightmare. The control panel under 8 is a fucking bad joke,

7 was able to identify network printers as well.

Actually Windows 8 and Windows 7 are not the same. I am not sure what you are refering too but the control panel integration with Metro is a fucking nightmare. The control panel under 8 is a fucking bad joke,

Man Odditory, you are a joke and a half. :D I cannot at all take you seriously since you are straight up lying out your butt and you know it. :) Since you do not care about facts, I will not bother giving you any.

Man Odditory, you are a joke and a half. :D I cannot at all take you seriously since you are straight up lying out your butt and you know it. :) Since you do not care about facts, I will not bother giving you any.

Oops, sorry, I meant Wrench. ;)

I was referring to the piss poor integration of things like your live bullshit.. Where exactly is that in Control panel.. Its not. How about searching for settings through metro for Control Panel some come up as App some as Settings.

I do know what I am talking about. Before you start insulting people maybe you should really start working in an enterprise environment.

That is not going to happen. :D However, I am looking forward to the improvements that make to it and the desktop.

We'll see.

If they stick with their current plan of forcing that UI on users, I have a feeling that Windows 9 will share the same fate as Windows 8. Lackluster sales and the punchline of the tech world.

We'll see.

If they stick with their current plan of forcing that UI on users, I have a feeling that Windows 9 will share the same fate as Windows 8. Lackluster sales and the punchline of the tech world.

No, what I said was directed at you only. Also, it seems only you know what you are talking about then because you sure never say so in the first place. :)

The desktop control panel works just like the windows 7 control panel.

No, what I said was directed at you only. Also, it seems only you know what you are talking about then because you sure never say so in the first place. :)

The desktop control panel works just like the windows 7 control panel.

Oops, sorry again, I once again quoted the wrong post. :eek: Is that a brain fart I am hearing? :D

This is the Control Panel from Windows 7:

controlp.png

This is the Control Panel from Windows 8:

Win8ControlPanel.png

Very much the same. What you're referring to is PC Settings which manages mostly Modern UI properties that aren't part of the classic desktop though printers and Bluetooth devices can be added there, however all of that is still in the Control Panel and it's just not that different from Windows 7.

There is a new printer driver model for Windows 8 v4 and it does seem to have some tricks up sleeve that the older model doesn't. When installing or stating Windows 8 my network printer gets setup automatically, I've never seen this happen with 7.

I can run 8 on something the size of the big iPad, get 10 hours of battery and even though the Windows Store is weak compared to the competition that's still access to many thousands of touch optimized apps that don't exist for Windows 7. And nothing has changed in regards to all of the tons of desktop applications that I ran on 7. Beyond compatibility issues between 7 and 8 those apps "just work" as they always have.

I understand a lot of people don't like 8 and I'm not trying to convince them that they should like it. I'm simply stating in specific terms how I use Windows 8 and why.

Ah, I presume you're talking about Clover Trail platforms and what will eventually (hopefully) be low-voltage Haswell. Intel's done a decent job keeping Atom cores going and Windows 8 doesn't demand a lot of compute power either. Most of that mobility is an expected benefit of improved hardware and not so much the OS. I've read that Win8 is more aggressive about keeping processors in an idle state, but I haven't made any comparisons between it and 7 personally to see the impact that has in real world runtime.

I was referring to the piss poor integration of things like your live bullshit.. Where exactly is that in Control panel.. Its not. How about searching for settings through metro for Control Panel some come up as App some as Settings.

I do know what I am talking about. Before you start insulting people maybe you should really start working in an enterprise environment.

The new stuff like Live accounts, Start Screen personalization, etc. isn't in the Control Panel. At this point no its not integrated at this point but it makes sense in that that's the stuff that one would most likely want to control from a tablet with touch.

Ah, I presume you're talking about Clover Trail platforms and what will eventually (hopefully) be low-voltage Haswell. Intel's done a decent job keeping Atom cores going and Windows 8 doesn't demand a lot of compute power either. Most of that mobility is an expected benefit of improved hardware and not so much the OS. I've read that Win8 is more aggressive about keeping processors in an idle state, but I haven't made any comparisons between it and 7 personally to see the impact that has in real world runtime.

Yes, I'm talking about Clover Trail and while that's on the hardware side Windows 7 doesn't support it. But beyond that 8 is MUCH easier to use on a tablet with actual touch capable software that simply doesn't exist in 7. Yes 7 is touch capable but just simple things like web browsing in IE 10 Metro and even the desktop, reading a Kindle or Nook book, using Netflix, it's much better with touch in 8 than 7. And if I want, there's desktop versions of those apps as well and those still work just like always.

This posting amuses me so much. How long did you use Windows 8 for? 5 whole minutes? All of my machine's are on Windows 8 and I paid a measly 5 bucks for the Stardock Start Menu (applies to all machines) and my entire feel isn't any different.

The new stuff like Live accounts, Start Screen personalization, etc. isn't in the Control Panel. At this point no its not integrated at this point but it makes sense in that that's the stuff that one would most likely want to control from a tablet with touch.

Shouldn't something that controls the PC be in the fucking control panel. I fucking think so. So no control Panel under 7 and 8 are not the same. Because you can't control 8 completely just under the control panel. Plus I don't use noob view.

As for the My windows 8 found my network printer.. Whoopde fucking do, but on a corporate network Printers tend to be controlled by scripts and gpo's. I don't give a shit about your consumer grade crap whoop it found my shity 100 dollar printer spitting out Bonjour or other broadcasts. I really don't care nor would I allow such features to run on my network broadcasting garbage. Most printers are VLANed and restricted. I don't give a crap windows 8 goes scanning my network for crap. I don't particularly want some one to accidentally have a user print on a cheque printer and waste template cheques which cost a lot of money.

I disable 99% of metro features through GPO. No live integration, no market place no nothing. Windows 8 doesn't bring shit to the table over 7. Besides an annoying start screen and stupid metro apps. Problem with this is that I need a DC to be 2008R2 which lots of network don't, so I have no ability to disable the stupid shit. Now I got people installing unathorized apps.. Yey.

As for the My windows 8 found my network printer.. Whoopde fucking do, but on a corporate network

... it's fucking chaos. First of all there's two different ways to install printers on Win 8 Professional. There's the Metro way which is the clusterfuck way and then there's the normal Windows 7 way. They are two different experiences entirely. In the Metro way if you click on Printers a big ass panel appears on the right side filled with all of the printers it found on your network. The problem? Well take a look.

HPLJCOL46....
HPLJCOL46...
HPLJCOL46...

If you are on a large network I'm sure you can see the problem with the above example. The second problem is that this panel doesn't have the same functionality that the desktop mode has. So if you really want to get the printer installed you have to go to desktop mode then go to Control Panel and install it that way.

Trying to get a Printer installed in Metro is like playing a game of Portal.

MS has said for a long time, since Vista that they want to speed up development so they have less problems with people getting way to attached and trenched in to any one of their OS releases which was happened to them with XP. So its not that unreasonable.

Shouldn't something that controls the PC be in the fucking control panel. I fucking think so. So no control Panel under 7 and 8 are not the same. Because you can't control 8 completely just under the control panel. Plus I don't use noob view.

Everything that is available in the Windows 7 Control Panel is still in the Control Panel in 8. Modern UI settings that are likely to be used on a tablet are in a more touch friendly app. Whatever your definition of the "same" means, the way one adds a printer or changes the default language or pretty much anything that applies to both 7 and 8 works the same in the Control Panel in both 7 and 8.

As for the My windows 8 found my network printer.. Whoopde fucking do, but on a corporate network Printers tend to be controlled by scripts and gpo's. I don't give a shit about your consumer grade crap whoop it found my shity 100 dollar printer spitting out Bonjour or other broadcasts.

Actually it's pretty decent color laser printer, fax, scanner with document feeder that I bought about 5 years ago and cost considerably more than $100. I was simply pointing out something that I noticed with 8 that I never saw happen in 7.

... it's fucking chaos. First of all there's two different ways to install printers on Win 8 Professional. There's the Metro way which is the clusterfuck way and then there's the normal Windows 7 way. They are two different experiences entirely. In the Metro way if you click on Printers a big ass panel appears on the right side filled with all of the printers it found on your network. The problem? Well take a look.

HPLJCOL46....
HPLJCOL46...
HPLJCOL46...

If you are on a large network I'm sure you can see the problem with the above example. The second problem is that this panel doesn't have the same functionality that the desktop mode has. So if you really want to get the printer installed you have to go to desktop mode then go to Control Panel and install it that way.

Trying to get a Printer installed in Metro is like playing a game of Portal.

So in other words you can install a printer as always but now that there is a simplified option and with the class of drivers so simplified that a lot of people will never even have to touch a printer driver and that's bad somehow?

As for the My windows 8 found my network printer.. Whoopde fucking do, but on a corporate network Printers tend to be controlled by scripts and gpo's. I don't give a shit about your consumer grade crap whoop it found my shity 100 dollar printer spitting out Bonjour or other broadcasts. I really don't care nor would I allow such features to run on my network broadcasting garbage. Most printers are VLANed and restricted. I don't give a crap windows 8 goes scanning my network for crap. I don't particularly want some one to accidentally have a user print on a cheque printer and waste template cheques which cost a lot of money.

I disable 99% of metro features through GPO. No live integration, no market place no nothing. Windows 8 doesn't bring shit to the table over 7. Besides an annoying start screen and stupid metro apps. Problem with this is that I need a DC to be 2008R2 which lots of network don't, so I have no ability to disable the stupid shit. Now I got people installing unathorized apps.. Yey.

So, you were shown to be wrong in this case and in response, you cuss and swear more? Got it. :D That is why I take you less and less seriously as these postings go on. (Also, I cannot take anyone seriously who thinks he needs to cuss and swear up a storm to make a point.) :)

Yes, I'm talking about Clover Trail and while that's on the hardware side Windows 7 doesn't support it. But beyond that 8 is MUCH easier to use on a tablet with actual touch capable software that simply doesn't exist in 7. Yes 7 is touch capable but just simple things like web browsing in IE 10 Metro and even the desktop, reading a Kindle or Nook book, using Netflix, it's much better with touch in 8 than 7. And if I want, there's desktop versions of those apps as well and those still work just like always.

Thanks for the thoughts. We're ever looking in on angles to approach this from a user perspective, but aside from the touch-friendliness, which the bulk of our users have objected to as something that gets in their way rather than benefits their workflow, most of the advantages seem more home versus business oriented. Our initial testing mirrors that so we're probably going to sit on 7 and cross our fingers that there'll be more of a business and work focus placed on the next version of Windows so we don't fall into the trap of getting too comfortable with one OS version. The last thing I want is to be in the same shoes with Win7 that some IT departments are in now with having to deal with legacy programs and XP/2000/NT4/etc being too costly to upgrade away from. Slipping one version may not hurt much.

Yes, you can and they are the same.

So, you were shown to be wrong in this case and in response, you cuss and swear more? Got it. :D That is why I take you less and less seriously as these postings go on. (Also, I cannot take anyone seriously who thinks he needs to cuss and swear up a storm to make a point.) :)

Wrench actually does bring up a good point. Without the supporting server backend with GPOs that can manage the newly added features, there's no way to properly control access to the Windows Store. That's something we experienced in testing. Users would load unauthorized Modern UI apps through the store.

Printing is also a problem if you've segmented your network. Windows 8 does fine at locating UPnP devices that advertise their presence, but if you've controlled your printers with acceptable enterprise security, limited them to communication with your print server, and closed them off from general access, you'll bump into issues. Atop that, I'm personally not very comfy with loading Win7 print drivers on a Win8 platform. They'll probably work okay, but I don't want the administrative headaches of corrupted print spoolers and flaky systems because I can't find a driver explicity designed for the hardware in question by the vendor. In some cases, that becomes a pain since business laser printers tend to remain on the network for a long while before they're considered end-of-life devices. The vendor will drop support for it before you're no longer using it and the driver updates stop (Thank you Lexmark :mad:).

Yes, you can and they are the same.

Actually you can't you can't control certain aspects of the OS out of the control panel in 8. Go to Metro PC settings and just compare things like Refresh PC Remove and Reinstall Windows and Advanced start up where exactly is that in the Classic Control Panel, Keyboard settings are also missing. Sync settings are not available, Search(integration options) is not available, Privacy, General settings how many option are not found in classic control panel. What about the user settings Shouldn't Microsoft option be available under classic panel, its not it takes you into metro. What about the metered option under devices in Metro where is that option in the classic shell? Now does that mean Desktop is metered or just Metro. I am confused because its not explained.
Windows 8 has two control panels.
I was referring to the piss poor control panel of 8 this is what I am taking about.

Actually you can't you can't control certain aspects of the OS out of the control panel in 8. Go to Metro PC settings and just compare things like Refresh PC Remove and Reinstall Windows and Advanced start up where exactly is that in the Classic Control Panel, Keyboard settings are also missing. Sync settings are not available, Search(integration options) is not available, Privacy, General settings how many option are not found in classic control panel. What about the user settings Shouldn't Microsoft option be available under classic panel, its not it takes you into metro. What about the metered option under devices in Metro where is that option in the classic shell? Now does that mean Desktop is metered or just Metro. I am confused because its not explained.
I was referring to the piss poor control panel of 8 this is what I am taking about.

You're talking about Charms. Meanwhile Control Panel in 7 and 8 are exactly the same.

You're talking about Charms. Meanwhile Control Panel in 7 and 8 are exactly the same.

Thats not charms. What does PC refresh have anything to do with Charms.

Not sure if you read all the posts but I was clear that MS had a piss poor implementation of Control Panel.

Every aspect of 7 can be controlled through Control Panel.
Not every aspect of 8 can be controlled through Control Panel. You need to go into another control panel. Technically there are two control Panels. Its retarded.

So in other words you can install a printer as always but now that there is a simplified option and with the class of drivers so simplified that a lot of people will never even have to touch a printer driver and that's bad somehow?

Man you sure don't get it.

On a managed network NO user ever has to install any printer. Now imagine 8 going out there grabbing and installing additional drivers and possibly giving access to printers which will not print and then users raising shit that they can't print. It causes a support problems.

Even consumers when they unpack a new printer they put in the cd click install and have no problems installing printers.

Not sure if you read all the posts but I was clear that MS had a piss poor implementation of Control Panel.

Not every aspect of 8 can be controlled through Control Panel. You need to go into another control panel. Technically there are two control Panels. Its retarded.

Again, you're tying Charms to Control Panel. Especially when I hit Charms (via bottom right), the control panel is there as an option. Now mind you this is from TABLET perspective which I do not use because my machine is configured in desktop mode. Nonetheless charms is not removed.

PC Refresh? Those are options available in either when the computer boots up through F8 or Charms. Why aren't the options available in F8 also available in Control Panel? It's not necessary.

Again, the control panel still remains exactly the same. Nothing has been changed and my nature of controlling Windows 8 through desktop mode remains the same. Those options are OPTIONAL to use if I use right Windows button (configured by Stardock's Start Menu).

You are REALLY losing your temper over this. Maybe you should drink a cup of "calm the FUCK down".

Some of the management fragmentation which is giving you heartburn might be direct result of the introduction of additional capabilities that Microsoft has cobbled into the OS without consideration for how they integrate into the whole of both administration and user experience. Microsoft is well-known for jarring the person at the keyboard around a bit and when they graft something new like Metro/Modern UI into an existing platform, they likely don't stop to consider where something like a bandwidth meter belongs within the context of both the new elements of the UI and the legacy components retained from the previous build.

Consider Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. WP7 was all about getting the new Microsoft phone experience to market and it needed to be done in relatively short order because of the potential for so many lost sales to entrenched competition like Apple. Conversely WP8 (which admittedly changed the underlying core OS components) served to introduce a significant number of enterprise-friendly management features. It's possible that the desktop OS will follow a similar trend with 8 being more focused on getting the UI changes introduced and the next release being a series of improvements that make sysad types have an easier time dealing with clients. It's what we're hoping for here, at least.

By your definition of the same, the stuff that doesn't exist in Windows 7 would need to be added to the Control Panel in Windows 8 in order for the Control Panels in 7 and 8 to be the same. But I bet you'd complain if things like picture password or touch keyboard settings were in the Control Panel when the didn't have meaning on keyboard and mouse driven desktop. As for the Metro overlay for network connections, when you connect to a network with it that connection does work with desktop apps.

Yes there are two "Control Panels" though one is called PC Settings because the one is focused on the classic desktop and the other the new UI. It's not perfect but it kind of makes sense to put settings that would be commonly accessed on a tablet in a touch friendly UI.

Man you sure don't get it.

On a managed network NO user ever has to install any printer. Now imagine 8 going out there grabbing and installing additional drivers and possibly giving access to printers which will not print and then users raising shit that they can't print. It causes a support problems.

Even consumers when they unpack a new printer they put in the cd click install and have no problems installing printers.

Wouldn't this apply to the Control Panel as well? It's still there and still adds printers like always. If you don't want people to add printers and devices, you'd disable it.

Also, can't you script GPO settings and run them locally if you can't push them through a domain?

By your definition of the same, the stuff that doesn't exist in Windows 7 would need to be added to the Control Panel in Windows 8 in order for the Control Panels in 7 and 8 to be the same. But I bet you'd complain if things like picture password or touch keyboard settings were in the Control Panel when the didn't have meaning on keyboard and mouse driven desktop. As for the Metro overlay for network connections, when you connect to a network with it that connection does work with desktop apps.

Yes there are two "Control Panels" though one is called PC Settings because the one is focused on the classic desktop and the other the new UI. It's not perfect but it kind of makes sense to put settings that would be commonly accessed on a tablet in a touch friendly UI.

Wouldn't this apply to the Control Panel as well? It's still there and still adds printers like always. If you don't want people to add printers and devices, you'd disable it.

Also, can't you script GPO settings and run them locally if you can't push them through a domain?

All portions of windows 7 are aviable through control panel. 8 has two control panels. I'm not sure why an important bit like Refresh or Reinstall is not in the control panel. What happens why you install a start menu alternative. How do you explain that to users on where to go and find the option over the phone?

Yes it makes sense to put options on a tablet for touch sure, but I am not talking about a tablet I am talking about the desktop its not touch friendly would it have killed them do make a liveaccount.cpl??? or PCrefresh.cpl? 8 is a piss poorly designed and executed OS.

Yes but now I have to have server 2012 dc to create GPO specific to 8. What happens when I have 2008 or r2 worse yet what happens if I have 2003.Small business are cheap, they will run out and buy a staples special before they upgrade their server.

Again they should just have a Business OS and a stupid OS for Consumers.

Blue is more of a content delivery system then anything else. Its more hey rent our shit instead of purchasing it.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue

Google is your friend.

Major features.. Outlook, skydrive office apps.. Again content delivery as in rent our shit in the cloud. Always connected. Microsoft can go fuck itself. As long as I keep working for the government they can take their services shove them up Ballmers fat ass.

There's no source for it except claiming it comes from the ZDnet author. He seems to be picking up bits and pieces to form a conclusion of where hypothetically it might go. So, try another source please.

There's no source for it except claiming it comes from the ZDnet author. He seems to be picking up bits and pieces to form a conclusion of where hypothetically it might go. So, try another source please.

One of the things I don't really care for about these threads are these sorts of arguments. You asked for a source and he provided one. Going back and then saying its insufficient and he has to provide another one is sort of obtuse and makes it appear as though there's some prodding for the sake of an argument.

That said, Wrench is probably correct. Companies that can fetch constant revenue using a SaaS business model can reap on-going profit versus earning money from a single sale. While individual subscription services have a lower per sale cost, the long term reality is that that a large number of small sales can add up to significantly more money. Imagine, for instance, if the people using Office 2003 had been subscribed for the duration rather than one-time customers. In addition, its more difficult to loan someone else a disc which turns into potentially increased sales. It also may benefit the customers who then aren't, in theory, soaking up the cost of development for freeloaders (though that's an iffy thing, I admit).

Ultimately, whether or not you view the cloud in a positive or negative light doesn't prevent a rational person from seeing the potential path Microsoft might eventually take with the Windows Store over the next few OS iterations.

One of the things I don't really care for about these threads are these sorts of arguments. You asked for a source and he provided one. Going back and then saying its insufficient and he has to provide another one is sort of obtuse and makes it appear as though there's some prodding for the sake of an argument.

That said, Wrench is probably correct. Companies that can fetch constant revenue using a SaaS business model can reap on-going profit versus earning money from a single sale. While individual subscription services have a lower per sale cost, the long term reality is that that a large number of small sales can add up to significantly more money. Imagine, for instance, if the people using Office 2003 had been subscribed for the duration rather than one-time customers. In addition, its more difficult to loan someone else a disc which turns into potentially increased sales. It also may benefit the customers who then aren't, in theory, soaking up the cost of development for freeloaders (though that's an iffy thing, I admit).

Ultimately, whether or not you view the cloud in a positive or negative light doesn't prevent a rational person from seeing the potential path Microsoft might eventually take with the Windows Store over the next few OS iterations.
He suggested to me to Google it which I'm not going to do. Besides, he's been a complete dick about his attitude towards other people which is obvious. However looking at the source, it's not even sourced at all. People can't just say I got A B C and therefore I must conclude D which is basically synthesis. Let's say you got Bill Gates and Larry Ellison together and they go golfing together. What could you make of that? Oh shit Microsoft merging with Oracle! No, not that simple. Now in the article, the author already states that he mostly gets his pieces here and there from the ZDnet woman which none of them are sourced either.

Doing google searches, getting information Blue ain't that simple.
1: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416672,00.asp including multiple reports based on the last week.
That's a recent source. Does that match any of the conjecture that he's stated? Nope. It appears that Windows Blue is actually a tablet that Microsoft wants to deliver on.

http://www.windows8blue.com/windows-blue-is-windows-8-sp1-with-ie-11-and-more/
Here's one hypothetical theory is that Microsoft is stripping down the kernel so that the tablets will consume less power.

What does what I have found have anything to do with his sources? Nothing. Because it was a sythesis piece based on bad assumptions picking little pieces here and there.

What ever I don't give a shit. If you don't like my attitude that's your problem. I am presenting realy world problems that you don't even comprehend. Trust I got enough attitude on H to become the jaded mofo I am now.

Back