wtburnette
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Jun 24, 2004
- Messages
- 3,580
I agree: New doesn't make it better.
Unfortunately, we have to rely on the market to decide for this, not just a handful of posters on a forum that a company has never heard about. SNIP
The problem with Microsoft is that they're doing what other companies have been doing for decades. They're responding to market demands.
To rely on the market, the majority of the consumers using these Microsoft products, to decide whether they like the new interface or other changes in these products is going to be foolhardy and futile. These consumers would have to tell Microsoft they don't like the ModernUI and the other quirks of Windows 8.
That's not going to happen.
Hence: "... we cannot stop change..."
Hence: "... we either adapt or get used to it..."
Change is going to happen whether you like it or not, and it's not just computers.
Either we have to adapt now and learn, or we don't adapt at all.
Move on. Complaining isn't going to get us anywhere.
Sorry, had to chop your post a bit. Just left some of the highlights. So, if something comes out to the market and you don't like it, you buy it anyway and just adapt? I don't know about you but I don't think that's a good strategy. Consumers ARE the market. If sales are poor enough, MS will HAVE to make changes, it's that simple. As you pointed out, look to Vista as an example. It may take a couple of years, but that's okay, I can wait. Support for Win7 has a long while to go yet.
BTW, what MS did was to overcompensate. They were behind in mobile to the point of not even being considered a player so they "did something different" to stand out and become a leader. Problem is, the market is showing that they don't want a unifying UI across every platform. Touch features on non-touch devices just doesn't make sense.
Seems I'm not the only one that feels that way. I like dr.stevil's response below.
That's nonsense. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Negitive press (which MS has been getting almost nonstop since the beta release of Windows 8) and lackluster sales will send a loud message to MS. The number of 3rd party hacks that exist to re-enable the start menu (for example) should send a pretty clear message what people think of the start screen and metro in general.
MS could bury thier heads in the sand and ignore the criticisms, but they also don't have the influence they once did. Their desktop and Laptop presence is still there, but tablet and mobile is pitiful (and where the future is headed). I honestly believe that if Gabe and Co. over at Valve are able to sweet talk developers to switching over to OpenGL and porting titles to Linux, it could be the start of a very painful slide for MS.
With the tremedous handicap that MS has in the mobile space they should be doing everything possible to make Windows an attractive platform. So far they've failed miserably and pissed off many loyal users.
Yep thats all I've tried to do.
When I first loaded up the Beta I too thought "WTF??" Yeah I was pretty annoyed, wondered at the sanity of it all. You can check back on my posts from around April if you like. Well if you could, only goes back to September.
Then I sat down and thought "well it isn't going away, that's the way it is!" So I worked out to how to make it work better for me. Didn't take long and it's working just fine. I can't afford to act negatively about a product to customers if I have to make a living from it.
I'm not going to make a living selling Linux to customers. I've tried. I can't give it away, no matter how hard I try. They just want Windows, it's the brand and they don't care what version it is either. I've since rolled Windows 8 out to several customers. Feedback has been fine, no issues so far, these were mainly XP users with a few early Vista ones. Anyone on 7, I tell them to stick with 7.
I just don't have the time or energy to strike out at everything that doesn't go my way. Life isn't fair, you learn that as you get older. Sometimes you just have to compromise. Often after you do, you wonder what you were worried about in the first place.
Different strokes.....
Another with the attitude of "we can't do anything so we might as well give in". Sorry all, that's just not my attitude. Either MS makes changes going forward to adapt the OS to the platform it's going to be used on, or I'll keep Win7 till the support runs out and see what alternatives are around. Touch elements on the desktop are just dumb. Personally I think there are people at MS that may eventually wise up to that fact.