Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I love how the folks that bring out the old Good version - Bad version routine always forget about Windows NT4 and 2000.
Funny that. Could it be it totally ruins the concept?
Because most people don't count the business only versions. Nt4 and 2000 were not aimed at consumer markets.
That said I agree the good version, bad version thing is silly. Vista was far from bad and calling ME bag is a huge understatement.
Lot of businesses ran on 3.1/95 and XP........NT4 was expensive to run at the time, 64MB of ram didnt grow on trees back then.
![]()
XP ran better on 64MB than NT4?
Microsoft keeps shooting itself in the foot . . . Ill pass on windows 8 , Im not supporting Microsoft new tablet software push
Change happens sometimes, folks... whether you like it or not.
Now ironically enough I never hear anyone bitch about Server 2012, which has the same modern UI, hot corners etc. Server 2012 > Server 2008R2... perhaps that's why?
Yep its not going away so stop moaning.
As far as I'm concerned set your application defaults to the Desktop ones and the Desktop as the top icon, one press of Enter and you are back to normal.
It isnt hard.
I haven't missed the Start Button either. Since Windows 7 came along I've got used to having all my main software added to the Taskbar. The days of drilling down through menus of folders and sub folders is long gone. Quite why 'advanced users' think that's the best way to do it I don't know. Seems very old fashioned to me.
Well... how much time do you spend sitting in front of a server 2008R2 console compared to Win7 (or even XP for the diehards)? There isn't as much backlash against Server 2012 because the install base is so much smaller, and we aren't talking about giving the average user Server 2012 on their laptop or desktop.
Personally, after starting to get more familiar with Server 2012... I'll be making a big push in our office to install the core version unless we just have to use a GUI for some reason. Never been a linux fan, but with the management tools provided for Server 2012/Win8 there is very little reason to ever touch the console directly.
As to the full GUI install of Server 2012... from a VM standpoint it still feels really clunky just like Win8. The only difference is that once you get the management console up, you don't really need to drop back and forth between the desktop/metro screens....
You could have used the new PC upgrade price and bought it for $15; Microsoft doesn't even check for any purchase verificationI went ahead and ordered it. I figure $40 is pretty cheap and I suppose it'll be better than re-installing all of my 50000 updates, patches, service packs, etc. if I have to format my PC again. I'm still not a fan of the interface, but I'd assume those UI overhauls should fix that over the coming months.
I'm half tempted to grab it as a "just in case" measure looking at those prices.
Now ironically enough I never hear anyone bitch about Server 2012, which has the same modern UI, hot corners etc. Server 2012 > Server 2008R2... perhaps that's why?
I might just buy another copy just to keep for future use.
You have to admit, they are probably actually being quite smart. People "in the know" are gonna run out and buy more copies now because the price is going up. People not "in the know" will probably buy it regardless of the price. Then large OEM's, who I'm guessing make up the bulk of their sales, would most likely pay a completely different price again.
How do you buy upgrade copies online without doing it on the computer you are going to use it on?
I've said similar in previous threads here on [H]. Windows 8 actually feels more efficient than Windows 7. I can pop open my task manager and compare it to when it was in Windows 7.
For example, with Chrome open with 50 tabs, Windows 7 would show 80% to 90% total memory used out of 16GB of RAM. Under Windows 8, whatever is going on beneath this OS, I'm now almost always at 40% to 50% total memory used out of 16GB of RAM with Chrome opened and same amount of tabs. There's a much better memory management in Windows 8.
I spend considerable time cleaning up the horseshit my predecessors left for me, so those consoles has been where I live (yes, they couldn't do ANYTHING right). I happen to be in the minority there though and won't be living in them forever. After all, who in the fuck carves out a LUN for Home Folder redirection only to find they didn't carve enough, so they make a 2nd parition for Home Folders. Consistency... you gotta love it.
I'm with you on 2012 - if you run Hyper-V then 2012 is an even better roadmap product. Shared nothing "planned failover" feature is nice, especially if you have the hardware and can afford a few minutes of downtime in the middle of the night (assuming the planned failover happens then). That's just one perk, and it's nice for small and medium mostly-Microsft based shops.
Just that some of us don't like some of the changes that don't make any sense. Hot corners, charms bar, aero being gone.
Had they given some ability to turn off some of the tablet like features for desktop users, I'd probably already be using it. Instead I'll take a pass on this one...
Now ironically enough I never hear anyone bitch about Server 2012, which has the same modern UI, hot corners etc. Server 2012 > Server 2008R2... perhaps that's why?
Just installed Server 2012 on a new box, and I really hate the Hot Corners they copied from Windows 8.
They are almost unusable remotely though the Dell server management card,and even a pain with remote desktop.
There are two remote clients for Windows 8, the desktop version and the Metro version and for whatever reason they behave quite differently. If you log into a Windows 8 machine with the Windows 8 desktop remote client and run it full screen the remote client takes over the UI. Hot corners and edge swipes control the remote device, not the local machine. With the Metro client hot corners and edge swipes control the local machine.
Are you just that obtuse or just can't understand plain English?.. He is talking iDRAC (Dell Management) nothing to do with Windows RDP client. Seriously you will go so far to make a shity lame excuse for something completely unrelated?
To the original poster Metro blows especially Charms in any Remote access method. Try it with VNC through RMM like kaseya or enable. Hell doesn't work in MSTSC very well either. I found that VMWare console works the best even compared to MS RDP software. Its a fucking gong show.
If they are seriously not going to still offer Windows 7, this move will kill the PC as we know it. I would not buy a new rig if it only came with a phone OS.
Learn a few keyboard shortcuts and it's just as efficient as windows 7. Half the people complaining don't like change and the other are pissed because they have to learn something new.
And the other half don't like big chunky touch screen buttons and the other half don't like hybrid interfaces and the other half don't like unnecessarily full screen interfaces and the other half don't want an integrated app store as part of their GUI and the other half wish MS made a full fledged touch UI.
Originally Posted by octoberasian
I've said similar in previous threads here on [H]. Windows 8 actually feels more efficient than Windows 7. I can pop open my task manager and compare it to when it was in Windows 7.
For example, with Chrome open with 50 tabs, Windows 7 would show 80% to 90% total memory used out of 16GB of RAM. Under Windows 8, whatever is going on beneath this OS, I'm now almost always at 40% to 50% total memory used out of 16GB of RAM with Chrome opened and same amount of tabs. There's a much better memory management in Windows 8.
Learn a few keyboard shortcuts and it's just as efficient as windows 7. Half the people complaining don't like change and the other are pissed because they have to learn something new.
And if those folks set the Desktop as their top icon and set the default apps to the Desktop ones most of them could stop moaning and use 8 just like 7.
On this forum, for a group of folks that take bizarre pride in saying they took a whole week to tweak their ram timings to give them an extra 0.01 fps why they find it so impossible to spend five minutes just tweaking Windows 8 to work better and pretty much the same as 7 in Desktop mode baffles me.
Quit with the false herd-rage guys really.
It isn't false herd-rage, sorry. The majority of people are completely opposed to it at this point. It is only a few diehards that are in denial that are still supporting this train wreck. The fact of the matter is that the Modern UI is utterly terrible UI design. Shoving a tablet interface on a Non-Touch Device ala desktops and laptops was a design decision that was so stupid it defies belief. One size fits all UI's Don't work. I said this months ago and it is proving to be undeniable at this point. They never worked in the past, and they aren't going to work in the future. A UI is either master of one type of device or mediocre on them all. .