• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 8 Pricing Update

But as I said chap, a couple of minutes tweaking and you don't have to use the Metro UI.

I'll say it again.

You don't have to use the Metro UI. No one has a gun to your head making you use it.

You really don't! So it is herd-rage.

This is the point us so called "Windows 8 zealots" have been trying to state all along. But all we get back is "It's crap! Lalalalalalalaaaaa we're not listening!"

I use Windows 8 but I don't use Metro.

I'll say it again...I dont use Metro!

It powers up, I hit Enter and I'm back in 99% the same setup I have on my Windows 7 machines.

It's head in the sand denial. Quit listening to the dumbass tech journalists with an agenda and just calm down.

As I said most of you will spend days over some pointless hardware tweak of your rig but to spend a few minutes configuring an OS to work like the previous one is just too much effort. :confused:

This post had a lot of redundancy in it.

I'll say it again....a lot of redundancy.
 
Well guys all I can say is that I would hate to be any of you when you are faced with a real challenge in life.

Boy oh boy.:(
 
Learn a few keyboard shortcuts and it's just as efficient as windows 7. Half the people complaining don't like change and the other are pissed because they have to learn something new.

picture this guy saying this as his windows 8 sales pitch as a best buy or microsoft store employee when a customer asks if they should upgrade. hilarious to picture.

And then another guy chimes in "you only have to spend a few minutes tweaking it and it'll be back to 99% Windows 7" .. Which would make most people wonder why upgrade at all.

These apologists are the crack-up
 
From another post:
Change is hard and change is difficult, and it's unfortunate we cannot stop change no matter how much we protest against it. Everything we use day-to-day will change regardless, and we have to either adapt and get used to it, or continue complaining about it because no software company is going to listen to user input to change it back to the older interfaces.

Move on.
 
But as I said chap, a couple of minutes tweaking and you don't have to use the Metro UI.

I'll say it again.

You don't have to use the Metro UI. No one has a gun to your head making you use it.

You really don't! So it is herd-rage.

This is the point us so called "Windows 8 zealots" have been trying to state all along. But all we get back is "It's crap! Lalalalalalalaaaaa we're not listening!"

I use Windows 8 but I don't use Metro.

I'll say it again...I dont use Metro!

It powers up, I hit Enter and I'm back in 99% the same setup I have on my Windows 7 machines.

It's head in the sand denial. Quit listening to the dumbass tech journalists with an agenda and just calm down.

As I said most of you will spend days over some pointless hardware tweak of your rig but to spend a few minutes configuring an OS to work like the previous one is just too much effort. :confused:
Except it is far more than that and you are being disingenuous. I have used win 8, I used it constantly through the dev and consumer previews. Until you install start8, there are quite a bit of quirks that make win8 a huge pita to use. Start 8 of course comes close to fixing the majority of the issues. However that doesn't change the fact that users should not be forced to jump through a bunch of hoops to achieve basic functionality that previously existed. It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, that is the definition of bad ui design.
 
And then another guy chimes in "you only have to spend a few minutes tweaking it and it'll be back to 99% Windows 7" .. Which would make most people wonder why upgrade at all.

These apologists are the crack-up

If you are using 7 then I would not recommend the upgrade at all.

No point. I haven't moved any of my 7 machines over to 8.

If you are clonking along with Vita or XP then definitely worth a go.

Still rational here.;)
 
Except it is far more than that and you are being disingenuous. I have used win 8, I used it constantly through the dev and consumer previews. Until you install start8, there are quite a bit of quirks that make win8 a huge pita to use. Start 8 of course comes close to fixing the majority of the issues. However that doesn't change the fact that users should not be forced to jump through a bunch of hoops to achieve basic functionality that previously existed. It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, that is the definition of bad ui design.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree chap.

We seem to have quite a different experience. I've found it easy to change and use it. I haven't installed Start8 or similar either. Drilling down through folder upon folder doesn't work for me anymore.

But if you don't like it then you don't like it. Sorry about that.
 
Kind of a side topic UI question here..


Once I uninstalled all of the metro apps, the metro style start - used simply as a start screen - is starting to grow on me.

The charm bar on the right side is no big deal, and once you get rid of all metro apps the upper left corner toggle is fine. However, does anyone know of a way to get rid of the 'dragging from the top' thing? I think it's primarily for having multiple metro apps on screen, but it gets consistently gets in the way of me dragging to layout windows.
 
Dragging from the top is the Modern way of closing metro apps and if you believe it doesn't make much sense on a non-touch device well then I feel sorry for you because you're "resistant to change.". Also, the lack of any net increase in usability for desktop users with a screen full o' Metro shouldn't be questioned or youre joining the herd of ragers and "have an agenda."
 
Well we'll have to agree to disagree chap.

We seem to have quite a different experience. I've found it easy to change and use it. I haven't installed Start8 or similar either. Drilling down through folder upon folder doesn't work for me anymore.

But if you don't like it then you don't like it. Sorry about that.

It isn't a matter of disagreeing, it is a fundamental flaw with the UI design. I never once said I found it hard now did I? I never said I drill down in folders either. I am quite good at leveraging the powerful search feature in Win 7 and have been doing so since Vista. My point was that it breaks all fundamental rules of UI Design when an "Update" to an existing platform (And that is precisely what win 8 is) makes common tasks more difficult then the previous iteration. This isn't a matter of debate, this is a matter of fact. Win 8 requires more clicks to accomplish the same tasks as in Win 7. That is a failure in design. Period. Simply put the Modern UI brings no benefit to the non touch environment but what it does bring is a worse fundamental experience. While it may work fine in a touch environment (I use it as such and enjoy it highly), it offers little outside frustration in a non touch. It is especially problematic on laptops with touchpads. Interestingly enough the video of the reviewer that everyone had a fit about describes those problems quite succinctly. Win 8 cannot or does not distinguish between a touch screen and a touch pad and they do not work the same in the slightest. This makes win 8 an absolute nightmare on a laptop.
 
picture this guy saying this as his windows 8 sales pitch as a best buy or microsoft store employee when a customer asks if they should upgrade. hilarious to picture.

And then another guy chimes in "you only have to spend a few minutes tweaking it and it'll be back to 99% Windows 7" .. Which would make most people wonder why upgrade at all.

These apologists are the crack-up

No, the crack up is people like you who get upset and think people are being apologists because they don't agree 100% with you. It's kind of like politics today.

Having to hit Windows+Q to search for apps instead of the windows key, or Windows+F for Files does not mean that the entire OS is unusable which is basically what several blogs have said and what several people are implying here. Vista had showstopper style bugs when it was released. 8 is just different in ways that you'll like or hate, but its not unusable.
 
picture this guy saying this as his windows 8 sales pitch as a best buy or microsoft store employee when a customer asks if they should upgrade. hilarious to picture.

And then another guy chimes in "you only have to spend a few minutes tweaking it and it'll be back to 99% Windows 7" .. Which would make most people wonder why upgrade at all.

These apologists are the crack-up


That isn't a sales pitch, it's a rebuttal of old fashioned ostriches like yourself. Windows 8 rocks in my opinion.
 
Win 8 cannot or does not distinguish between a touch screen and a touch pad and they do not work the same in the slightest. This makes win 8 an absolute nightmare on a laptop.
That's a synaptics driver issue, not a windows issue. The fix is by doing a regedit (blech) to disable this behavior in synaptics's driver:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
 
That's a synaptics driver issue, not a windows issue. The fix is by doing a regedit (blech) to disable this behavior in synaptics's driver:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000

I'm using the latest Synaptics touchpad drivers on my Lenovo x220t, version 16.2.21, and there is an option within the driver settings to disable the edge swipes.
 
I'm using the latest Synaptics touchpad drivers on my Lenovo x220t, version 16.2.21, and there is an option within the driver settings to disable the edge swipes.

About time. I just disable the touchpad. Then I set the middle button to act like a middle button... Of course, even that's bug-ridden in the synaptics control panel. Have to set it to "none" (rather than, you know, "middle mouse button" or similar), click apply, set it back to "trackscroll" or whatever they call it, click apply, then back to "none" to get it to work.
 
No, the crack up is people like you who get upset and think people are being apologists because they don't agree 100% with you. It's kind of like politics today.

Having to hit Windows+Q to search for apps instead of the windows key, or Windows+F for Files does not mean that the entire OS is unusable which is basically what several blogs have said and what several people are implying here. Vista had showstopper style bugs when it was released. 8 is just different in ways that you'll like or hate, but its not unusable.

Easy there tiger. I don't write the blogs of which you speak, and I don't consider Window 8 unusable. My bone of contention is its blatant disdain for desktop users. All I hear from the other side is "you just don't like change" or "you haven't learned all the hotkeys" but no one goes as far as to offer anything compelling that Metro offers desktop users as incentive to upgrade.

So do you know? What do you tell someone with Windows 7 that wonders "what's in Metro that benefits me enough to upgrade?"
 
That they don't need to. Most people don't upgrade anyways, they use what's on the computer. The same argument is made every time a new version of Windows comes out and it's typically the same response.
 
But as I said chap, a couple of minutes tweaking and you don't have to use the Metro UI.

I'll say it again.

You don't have to use the Metro UI. No one has a gun to your head making you use it.

You really don't! So it is herd-rage.

This is the point us so called "Windows 8 zealots" have been trying to state all along. But all we get back is "It's crap! Lalalalalalalaaaaa we're not listening!"

I use Windows 8 but I don't use Metro.

I'll say it again...I dont use Metro!

It powers up, I hit Enter and I'm back in 99% the same setup I have on my Windows 7 machines.

It's head in the sand denial. Quit listening to the dumbass tech journalists with an agenda and just calm down.

As I said most of you will spend days over some pointless hardware tweak of your rig but to spend a few minutes configuring an OS to work like the previous one is just too much effort. :confused:

I call bullshit on the 99% figure. No aero, you now have hot corners and charms bar and you have to see the new start screen every time you login unless you use a third party app to go straight to the desktop. Those add up to more then 1% in my mind.

Dragging from the top is the Modern way of closing metro apps and if you believe it doesn't make much sense on a non-touch device well then I feel sorry for you because you're "resistant to change.". Also, the lack of any net increase in usability for desktop users with a screen full o' Metro shouldn't be questioned or youre joining the herd of ragers and "have an agenda."

lol!

That isn't a sales pitch, it's a rebuttal of old fashioned ostriches like yourself. Windows 8 rocks in my opinion.

I respect your opinion, but not when you call other people names because they don't agree with you. Just because it's new and shiny, doesn't mean everyone wants any part of it.

From another post:

Change is hard and change is difficult, and it's unfortunate we cannot stop change no matter how much we protest against it. Everything we use day-to-day will change regardless, and we have to either adapt and get used to it, or continue complaining about it because no software company is going to listen to user input to change it back to the older interfaces.

Move on.

I really, really get sick of this. As above, just because it's new, doesn't make it better. I think MS made a mistake on so many different levels with Windows 8 and I don't want to give them my hard earned money for it. Adapting to change is fine when you have to, but in this case I don't have to. I can stick with Windows 7 and continue to use it as long as it's supported. When MS pulls it's head from it's rear quarters, I may end up upgrading, but I don't see that happening until the market shows them where they're wrong. I'm voting with my wallet, which is the best way to affect change.
 
I call bullshit on the 99% figure. No aero, you now have hot corners and charms bar and you have to see the new start screen every time you login unless you use a third party app to go straight to the desktop. Those add up to more then 1% in my mind.

I haven't really felt that way. Been using Windows since 3.1 and seen styles and looks come and go. Doesn't bother me I have work to get on with and it isn't stopping me doing it.


I really, really get sick of this. As above, just because it's new, doesn't make it better. I think MS made a mistake on so many different levels with Windows 8 and I don't want to give them my hard earned money for it. Adapting to change is fine when you have to, but in this case I don't have to. I can stick with Windows 7 and continue to use it as long as it's supported. When MS pulls it's head from it's rear quarters, I may end up upgrading, but I don't see that happening until the market shows them where they're wrong. I'm voting with my wallet, which is the best way to affect change.

You show em champ!
 
That's a synaptics driver issue, not a windows issue. The fix is by doing a regedit (blech) to disable this behavior in synaptics's driver:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]
"ActionType"=dword:00000000

I'm using the latest Synaptics touchpad drivers on my Lenovo x220t, version 16.2.21, and there is an option within the driver settings to disable the edge swipes.

Just because you modify the touchpad driver to correct the issue doesn't make this not a win 8 issue. This behavior isn't a problem in win 7. This is only a problem in win 8, because win 8 treats a touchpad like a touchscreen instead of a mouse. Which is completely stupid.

You expect the average user to figure this problem out? HAHAHAHA someone clearly has never done tech support for the average user. This is just one of many examples of the dumb quirks in win 8 that gets foisted upon those not using it for a tablet. This is just one of a ton of reasons why it is getting so much negative backlash. You keep trying to make excuses for it, but the fact is a modern OS shouldn't need a bunch of ardent defenders making excuses.
 
This was posted on 23rd Sepember, 2011.

windows-version-chart-e1316834921611.jpg


:eek: The prophecy has been fulfilled! YOU SIR... Are a visionary!

Haha that really made me laugh. So true though
 
Just because you modify the touchpad driver to correct the issue doesn't make this not a win 8 issue. This behavior isn't a problem in win 7. This is only a problem in win 8, because win 8 treats a touchpad like a touchscreen instead of a mouse. Which is completely stupid.

You expect the average user to figure this problem out? HAHAHAHA someone clearly has never done tech support for the average user. This is just one of many examples of the dumb quirks in win 8 that gets foisted upon those not using it for a tablet. This is just one of a ton of reasons why it is getting so much negative backlash. You keep trying to make excuses for it, but the fact is a modern OS shouldn't need a bunch of ardent defenders making excuses.

Enjoy yourself then well we provide solutions to problems well you all just stomp your feet and hold your breath. :rolleyes: Oh, and customers are a lot smarter than you give them credit for but sometimes they just need a little hand holding. (Rarely do I run into someone who simply does not get computers at all.)
 
Win8 is fine, guys. It's going great!

For the first time in more than 20 years, the release of a new Windows OS did not impact PC shipments noticeably. According to Gartner, the reasons may lie in the fact that "some PC vendors offered somewhat lackluster form factors in their Windows 8 offerings and missed the excitement of touch". Windows 8 could show greater impact once the hardware improves.
 
Also more

If you consider NetApplications' data set, then Linux owns only about 1 percent of the desktop OS market and Windows has almost 92 percent. But if you consider all computing platforms, including mobile, than Windows has only 20 percent and Linux has 42 percent - and that would be in the form of Google's Android alone.

Goldman Sachs recently published a chart which shows the shift from Microsoft's 95 percents hare of the computing platform market in 2004, when PCs dominated the computing landscape, to just 20 percent in 2012.
 
I hope this all ends soon as I'm getting a bit bored with the same old pointless arguments flooding the forums and tech sites

We either get Windows 8 is unusable threads or Apple sues everyone articles.

I much preferred it when it was articles on the latest improvements to 3D graphics or similar. But those ground breaking days are long gone.

I think we've basically reached a point of computing lethargy where we have nothing much to look forward to and so it just devolves into infighting and bickering.

Some folks get Windows 8 and are using it fine and some don't. End of story. It's not going to go away, so all the arguing here isn't going to make a difference.

Now I have to get back to re-building a gaming rig for a customer and order a Chromebook for myself. Got to keep up to date on the new stuff, things change......
 
Enjoy yourself then well we provide solutions to problems well you all just stomp your feet and hold your breath. :rolleyes: Oh, and customers are a lot smarter than you give them credit for but sometimes they just need a little hand holding. (Rarely do I run into someone who simply does not get computers at all.)

I've worked with average users for over a decade. They are far dumber than you want to admit. Modifying the registry isn't a solution except for someone like me. Sorry but we are the exception, not the rule. If it doesn't work out if the box, most people aren't going to try adjusting the settings or modifying the registry. They are just going to pack it up and give it a lousy review. That it's the thing some of you fail to get. The average user doesn't care enough to try and figure out how to tweak it. To believe otherwise is just flat out denial.
 
I really, really get sick of this. As above, just because it's new, doesn't make it better. I think MS made a mistake on so many different levels with Windows 8 and I don't want to give them my hard earned money for it. Adapting to change is fine when you have to, but in this case I don't have to. I can stick with Windows 7 and continue to use it as long as it's supported. When MS pulls it's head from it's rear quarters, I may end up upgrading, but I don't see that happening until the market shows them where they're wrong. I'm voting with my wallet, which is the best way to affect change.

I agree: New doesn't make it better.

Unfortunately, we have to rely on the market to decide for this, not just a handful of posters on a forum that a company has never heard about. It took how long for Microsoft to respond to criticism-- both from business and regular consumers-- to fix Vista and eventually release Windows 7? Two years. It took three years after Windows 7 for Windows 8 to be released. Windows XP lasted six years before Vista was released.

The problem with Microsoft is that they're doing what other companies have been doing for decades. They're responding to market demands. What's in high demand at the moment? Desktop computers or smartphones and tablets? I can tell you it's not desktop computers. More consumers are buying smartphones and tablets than desktop PCs. Microsoft did not have a touchscreen tablet OS to compete with iOS on the iPad and Android on the various tablets out today. Their response was Windows 8.

Unfortunately, Microsoft carried that design theme to the desktop PC AND their server products. I don't know of any touchscreens in a server environment last time I checked. On the other hand, Microsoft now has a unified interface and ecosystem from Windows Phone 8 to Windows 8 for tablets (RT/Pro) to the desktop PC. And, if you want to count it, Xbox 360 and their tile-based interface. Microsoft is pushing for this whether consumers want it or not. And, I don't see this going to change at all in the near or long term.

To rely on the market, the majority of the consumers using these Microsoft products, to decide whether they like the new interface or other changes in these products is going to be foolhardy and futile. These consumers would have to tell Microsoft they don't like the ModernUI and the other quirks of Windows 8.

That's not going to happen.

Hence: "... we cannot stop change..."

We went from command line interface to a GUI, and consumers and the market responded relatively well. And, it seems more interface changes are in store to take us away from relying on the keyboard and mouse-- touchscreen, voice recognition/control, and motion sensing. If science fiction is any indication of where we might be headed in computing, touchscreen may be the norm decades from now.

Hence: "... we either adapt or get used to it..."

Sure, go ahead and say you won't buy Windows 8. But, Microsoft is going to pull that dirty hand like with DirectX 10 and Vista-- if a game is DirectX 12 and won't run on anything lower than Windows 8, good luck. We can't do anything about that. None of us on this forum can.

You're just one person along with a few thousand others that won't buy it. Unfortunately, that's not enough to change Microsoft's mind to change Windows 8 to make it more "usable" for consumers. Therefore, it's a futile and foolhardy attempt in the end. Millions of people are buying and using products with these tile-based UI as we speak-- Windows Phone 8, Xbox 360 (Live Dashboard), Windows 8 tablets, and more touchscreen enabled laptops and PCs with Windows 8 pre-installed are entering the market. They're literally shoving it down consumer's throats without any say from them or whether they like it or not.

And, every other company has been doing that for decades. It doesn't matter if it's Apple, Google, or that jeans manufacturer that says this is the latest and greatest in fashion.

If Microsoft does respond to the criticism like it has with Vista, we probably won't see changes until Windows 9 in about one or two years at least. But, didn't Microsoft mention some months ago their wouldn't be a major OS release until a year from now? Everything in-between will be service packs then a major OS release. Weren't they planning on doing a release schedule similar to Linux distributions?

So, grab a picket, make some flyers, gather a couple million friends and protest on Microsoft's lawn about Windows 8 and tell others not to buy it.

It's not going to work. People will have to adjust sooner or later. I don't like the ModernUI and a few other design decisions in Windows 8 like you do. I only upgraded because I saw visible changes in memory and process management and usage. Something I did not see in Windows 7, no matter how much I reduced the number of programs at start up or reinstalled Windows 7. I'm using Start8 because finding programs to launch in the ModernUI was stupid trying to scroll through those tiles on a mouse.

But, what did I do? I adapted. I'm human. Tens of thousands of years of evolution tells us we can adapt to anything. If we can adapt to changes, then I'm sure you and many others can adapt as well.

Same thing with the ribbon interface in Office that started with Office 2007. I adapted, took the time to teach myself the new interface. Now, with Office 2013, it's pretty much second nature to me.

I grew up on command line interfaces back in the DOS days before moving to Windows 3.11 then Windows 95/98 and then Windows XP. Yes, these were significant changes in how I worked on my own computer, but I adapted and taught myself how to use each and every change in the user interface and the OS itself.

If can adapt to it, I'm sure you can too. It just takes time. I'm a very self-taught person.

If you can't take the time and effort to adapt to change, what says you can't adjust to anything else?

Change is going to happen whether you like it or not, and it's not just computers. We're going to see changes from how we do our day-to-day computing tasks on our own computers, how we communicate with others in social networks and mobile devices, to how we use computers to being more and more integrated in our own lives.

Either we have to adapt now and learn, or we don't adapt at all.

Move on. Complaining isn't going to get us anywhere. It's going to take a lot of people protesting in unison to protest against change. And, to get that kind of mob mentality with millions of consumers who can't tell you the difference between memory and hard drive storage is going to be nigh impossible. I guarantee it.
 
Windows Vista ==> Windows 7 was an upgrade and worth the $
Windows 7 ==> Windows 8 is a downgrade and one should be paid to "upgrade"
 
Ok so I'm a little lost...by making it more expensive, they are trying to achieve what...? Increasing the price is supposed to increase the installed user base...? :confused:
 
Move on. Complaining isn't going to get us anywhere. It's going to take a lot of people protesting in unison to protest against change. And, to get that kind of mob mentality with millions of consumers who can't tell you the difference between memory and hard drive storage is going to be nigh impossible. I guarantee it.

That's nonsense. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Negitive press (which MS has been getting almost nonstop since the beta release of Windows 8) and lackluster sales will send a loud message to MS. The number of 3rd party hacks that exist to re-enable the start menu (for example) should send a pretty clear message what people think of the start screen and metro in general.

MS could bury thier heads in the sand and ignore the criticisms, but they also don't have the influence they once did. Their desktop and Laptop presence is still there, but tablet and mobile is pitiful (and where the future is headed). I honestly believe that if Gabe and Co. over at Valve are able to sweet talk developers to switching over to OpenGL and porting titles to Linux, it could be the start of a very painful slide for MS.

With the tremedous handicap that MS has in the mobile space they should be doing everything possible to make Windows an attractive platform. So far they've failed miserably and pissed off many loyal users.
 
I hope this all ends soon as I'm getting a bit bored with the same old pointless arguments flooding the forums and tech sites

We either get Windows 8 is unusable threads or Apple sues everyone articles.
I love it when people take the morale high ground. Ya know, there are other threads on this forum and if somehow you can't find any you like, no one is holding a knife to your throat to stay here.
 
Also, the DVD version costs $30.00 more that the download version? Seriously what the fuck is wrong with these idiots?

Microsoft's hey day of restoring their prestige with the release of Windows 7 ended the day the group of idiots within came up with the idea of Windows 8.

I associate Windows 8 with the words "failed annoyance" every time I see it.
 
I like Windows 8. Took a couple days to adjust but the entire house seems to appreciate the new UI.

People love to hate things in large groups... gives a sense of community. I think that's what has happened with W8.
 
I like Windows 8. Took a couple days to adjust but the entire house seems to appreciate the new UI.

People love to hate things in large groups... gives a sense of community. I think that's what has happened with W8.

So why not with Windows 7 too? People hate 8 because os the horrible UI. The changes to the backend are really nice... it's just the front end changes that folks have an issue with.
 
Me, I could take it or leave it (actually, I'm leaving it - I've got no use for it).

My daughter got a new laptop with 8, and hates it (Win7 sale right there).

The desktop in the living room has 8 on it (consumer preview - but I would have bought it if anyone liked it), and my wife stopped using it in favor of my daughter's old Win7 starter net-book.

My son is keeping 7.

My other daughter is keeping 7.

Work is keeping 7.

I see a trend here............

It's too bad too. It's like taking a present, and instead of using some nice wrapping paper on it, you smear feces on it and try to gift it to someone.
 
Just because you modify the touchpad driver to correct the issue doesn't make this not a win 8 issue. This behavior isn't a problem in win 7. This is only a problem in win 8, because win 8 treats a touchpad like a touchscreen instead of a mouse. Which is completely stupid.

You expect the average user to figure this problem out? HAHAHAHA someone clearly has never done tech support for the average user. This is just one of many examples of the dumb quirks in win 8 that gets foisted upon those not using it for a tablet. This is just one of a ton of reasons why it is getting so much negative backlash. You keep trying to make excuses for it, but the fact is a modern OS shouldn't need a bunch of ardent defenders making excuses.

I think a lot of what you're calling defense is just explanation. We were simply pointing out that the swipes can be disabled. Track pads and gestures are not new to Windows. The edge swipes are new and I have found them to work well on my Logitech T650 track pad, not so much on the very small track pad on the x220t so I disabled the edge swipes there.
 
I think a lot of what you're calling defense is just explanation.

Yep thats all I've tried to do.

When I first loaded up the Beta I too thought "WTF??" Yeah I was pretty annoyed, wondered at the sanity of it all. You can check back on my posts from around April if you like. Well if you could, only goes back to September.

Then I sat down and thought "well it isn't going away, that's the way it is!" So I worked out to how to make it work better for me. Didn't take long and it's working just fine. I can't afford to act negatively about a product to customers if I have to make a living from it.

I'm not going to make a living selling Linux to customers. I've tried. I can't give it away, no matter how hard I try. They just want Windows, it's the brand and they don't care what version it is either. I've since rolled Windows 8 out to several customers. Feedback has been fine, no issues so far, these were mainly XP users with a few early Vista ones. Anyone on 7, I tell them to stick with 7.

I just don't have the time or energy to strike out at everything that doesn't go my way. Life isn't fair, you learn that as you get older. Sometimes you just have to compromise. Often after you do, you wonder what you were worried about in the first place.

Different strokes.....
 
Back
Top