wtburnette
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Jun 24, 2004
- Messages
- 3,580
Seeing how Microsoft is or has started doing some things that Linux-based distros have been doing already:
... I'd like to see them take a page out of some of the Linux-distros-- full UI customization that doesn't require hacking/patching the uxtheme.dll file or similar.
- Planned - Major OS updates each year (new Windows OS?); small updates in-between (service packs?).
- Included - Process management by sleeping/parking unused/inactive processes/programs.
For example, in my Mint 14 install, I can customize hot corners, the desktop environment, and each aspect of the window, thickness, buttons, fonts, animations, effects, etc. All of that under the Cinnamon settings since that's my default desktop environment. Heck, the KDE customization options are even more detailed.
Why don't we have that in Windows without having to resort to one of the many Stardock products out there?
Yeah, I like Aero, but give me an option to customize the Start screen, Start button, task bar, effects, animations, Charms bar, etc., and I'm sure you, myself, and countless will be happy with Windows 8. I still don't understand the exact reasoning behind bringing the Start screen to the desktop and even their Server 2012 products other than unifying all their products under one roof.
Microsoft must be smoking something good at Redmond because they are coming up with things such as a $130 keyboard for a tablet, $199 for Windows 8 Pro, $899 for the Surface Pro, and spreading the tile-based UI from the 360 to Server 2012 like Paula Deen going crazy with butter.
Well said.
As an aside, I just read this article and thought I'd share:
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...r-launch-and-microsofts-cryptic-sales-figures
Also love the first post, from nategator