Windows 8 Has Driven Millions To Become Apple Users

And I think everyone that hates Windows 8 needs to get over themselves, been using it on my Desktop and 7 on my laptop and dont give two shits between the two.

Yes, because obviously everyone should have the same opinion as you, right? :rolleyes:

There are plenty of people, myself included, that hate Windows 8 and won't "get over it". I used it for months and think it's a downgrade from Windows 7 and therefore I have no desire to use it. Partly it's due to bad design choices and horrid UI and also partly on principle because I oppose MS forcing the changes down people's throats when they could have easily given them a choice and avoided most, if not all, of the backlash.

That said, this story is a steaming pile. As stated, if people were flocking to Apple over the Win 8 fiasco, sales number for Apple would easily show this. I get a kick out of these kinds of headlines, because I love to read about how badly Win 8 is doing, but it has to be realistic news to be enjoyed and this isn't.

Windows 8 and Windows 9 i think will destroy Microsoft. Without the genuine original interface of the start bar and the original windows layout they will tank. No one will switch over from Windows 7. I don't think that many will go Apple but anythings possible when you got no options left other than Linux. I think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft if they don't bring back the classic interface. Windows 8 should have been called Windows Tablet OS 1.0. Should have been 2 separate projects with the pc and tablets. I don't think they are going to go back to the original interface. Going to be on Windows 7 for years.

Windows 8 and Windows 9 i think will destroy Microsoft. Without the genuine original interface of the start bar and the original windows layout they will tank. No one will switch over from Windows 7. I don't think that many will go Apple but anythings possible when you got no options left other than Linux. I think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft if they don't bring back the classic interface. Windows 8 should have been called Windows Tablet OS 1.0. Should have been 2 separate projects with the pc and tablets. I don't think they are going to go back to the original interface. Going to be on Windows 7 for years.
Denial will destroy Microsoft. And I don't get people who like to feed the denial bubble. They are not helping. And the condescending or insulting people are really not helping.

Eh, i don't know about 'millions' but I can believe it's had some effect.

But i doubt its people switching because they hate Windows 8 exactly. More like there will be a (small, but not insignificant) group of people who previously used windows, but always fancied a Mac. They didn't change before because they didn't want to learn a new interface.
Modern UI comes along and they have to learn to use the interface over again anyway (the fact the desktop behind it isn't all that different is irrelevant, its about perception).

If you'd already been considering that change, Modern UI provides the perfect reason to make the jump.

I wouldn't doubt it to some degree... Or at least turning people off of other MS products (windows phone and rt) towards their competition (apple and google)

Real world scenario that I have experienced on several occasions -

Me - Okay I can get you a new PC with Windows 8 loaded and you are good to go.

Customer - Oh I've heard bad things about Windows 8 do I have to have it?

Me - Have you actually used Windows 8 or seen it?

Customer - Er no!

Me - Trust me it's fine. I'll run through the changes with you because obviously its different to XP as it 12 years and three operating systems on.

Customer - Okay that's fine.

I then spend about 10 -15 mins going over the changes with the customer on their new PC/laptop

Customer - Okay well that's all fine, looks good to me. I don't know why people complain so much.

Me - Yeah me too! It's a mystery.

I think a lot of these 'unconfirmed source' reports are from folks that are terrified their Apple stock is starting to tank big time and they are losing thousands daily.

The sinking ship!

Why is this so hard to believe Steve? Are you guys really so anti apple that you'll forgive MS for everything?

Windows 8 is crap. Lot of pro users are avoiding it so its not just that 'noobs' don't understand it or fear change.

You have three options for an OS, two of which most people know about. Linux is not an option for everyday joe. So you have windows or Mac.

Macs have long had a tag line of 'its easier' or 'it just works'. Big part of this is that Apple has removed a lot of customizable options and just assumed a lot of things that most users would want. For us enthusiasts this is annoying because it limits our options and sometimes it may assume wrong. But for everyday users, this is a blessing because less options means less confusion.

My wife used a PC all her life and didn't like the MBP at all when I got it to program for the iPhone. Now she loves it and her PC is collecting dust.

If people would be willing to go to a Mac I think they could handle Linux. The only reason I can even semi navigate the Mac OSX comuters I have worked on is because it is similar enough with Linux that I can just pretend I am using Ubuntu. Mac is a lot closer to Linux than it is to Windows in my opinion.

But seriously, I would use Windows 8 over Mac OS, for software compatibility alone.

Apple computers can run windows, but at least you have a choice. There's even software to seemlessly run windows programs within mac os x. And there's Wine.

The only thing that stops me from using a Macintosh these days is the fact that Apple is more of a consumer electronics comapny and not a computer one anymore and it seems that they are no longer focused on a decent computer just the next phone or ipad.

PC sales are probably slumping because the rate of progress on hardware has be going down hill, sure we get more cores and more this or more that, but without the software to use it? most users are just fine with a q6600 or e8400 and a gtx 250 , sure Windows 8 sucks without adding something like startisback or start8, but if people have no reason to upgrade, they'd rather hang onto their money these days, i just built a new rig and question why... my ipad takes care of ~ 95% of my computer needs, other than gaming and the games i play would run just fine on slighly older hardware

PC sales are probably slumping because the rate of progress on hardware has be going down hill, sure we get more cores and more this or more that, but without the software to use it? most users are just fine with a q6600 or e8400 and a gtx 250

Most of them are fine with any dual core CPU. They don't need quads, remember very few people out there game or do serious video editing so yes they just don't need to upgrade like they did ten years ago.

I do a great trade in upgrading old single core laptops to cheap dual core CPUs and maybe a SSD if the customer wants to spend a little more. Customers love it. They keep the same system they have been using but this time it actually keeps up with them.

Cost of parts comes to just over $110 for a SSD and a 2Ghz dual core.

There are only two reasons I don't have a MAC...and it has nothing to do with Win8

a) the price - I can build two (maybe three) computers for the price of just one MAC
b) ya don't build a MAC, ya buy one

Other than that, I kinda would like to have one. I'm not all that thrilled about some of Apple's practices but then MS isn't exactly blowin my socks off either at this point. Chances are pretty good that any future builds will be Linux (likely Ubuntu, Centos, or something).

Windows 8 is more damaging to itself than any Apple product...that's what MS and the fan boys don't get.

I own a 13.3 MacBook Air which work has bought for me (I'd have never paid out of pocket for that thing), and even though work literally pays me to use it I am not using it and just bought a one of the new Dell XPS 13 machines instead.

MS just posted record earnings per share for the third quarter, so even with the W8 fiasco the world is still in order. Life is good.

Exactly. I think we have a winner here.

Microsoft is posting record earnings. If Windows 8 was such a HUGE failure, where it their money coming from? And why aren't Mac sales increasing? Why are Mac sales going down?

This is a problem with anecdotes. They in no way represent the whole. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Windows 8. I haven't even used it, but the very idea of apps full-screening instead of being in a window would completely fuck my workflow in the ass. I need it to be able to switch seamlessly and instantly between windowed applications. In this regard I would, as much as I utterly despise Apple(and believe despise is an understatement) I would be required to purchase a mac to continue doing the things I must do - namely, video and audio editing. Luckily there's still Window 7. If there wasn't well...I would be pirating copies of Window 7 to do my work.

Who knows though. Maybe if there was only Windows 8 then support for Linux by software and hardware companies would rapidly improve.

Exactly. I think we have a winner here.

Microsoft is posting record earnings. If Windows 8 was such a HUGE failure, where it their money coming from? And why aren't Mac sales increasing? Why are Mac sales going down?

This is a problem with anecdotes. They in no way represent the whole. The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

What does that have to do with record profits? Do you think Win 8 contributed to that? They get a cut from every Android device due to their patent trolling and bullying...

I'm glad they are making money as I hope every company would but if you think Win 8 drove those record profits you are seriously wrong. Please wow me with the numbers to back it up as I've read the details.

1253885876_suicide.gif

If you don't like the UI changes in Windows 8, then why would you go to Apple with a totally different UI?

I don't like Win8, but even I'm getting tired of it being used as the scapegoat for slumping PC sales. For the typical business/home user, any computer from the last 4 years should be more than they will need. There isn't really a reason to replace a computer now, unless it just blows up.

Good point, simple logic like this summaries so much.
Apple users sensationalize Apple, and shit on everyone else. This has been observed ever since there's been an Apple "community"

Windows 8. I haven't even used it, but the very idea of apps full-screening instead of being in a window would completely fuck my workflow in the ass. I need it to be able to switch seamlessly and instantly between windowed applications.

Key point: "I haven't even used it"

Your workflow would not change at all. All of your apps would work perfectly well on the windows 8 desktop. You don't switch between apps with the start menu.

I don't get all the windows 8 hate. The Metro UI doesn't exist on the desktop which is exactly the same as 7 without the Start Menu. And I'd like to understand why people use the start menu so often that they miss it so much.

I wish the internet was as wide spread when Win95 came out. Would love to hear the bitching about how it ruined Windows 3.1.

Thank you!

Getting to the desktop is quick and easy, taking just one click.

I'm curious as to how many people here that are hating on Windows 8 actually gave it a good spin around the block. I'll admit that the beta was a turn off for me, but the production version was much improved. I have been using it since December and have no plans to revert back to 7.

Even without a 3rd party add-on, the Metro interface can be avoided for most types of work.

Missing Start Menu? I don't miss it. I keep my frequently used programs pinned to the taskbar. The rest I just type to find in the "Metro" interface. Since Windows 7, the Start Menu rarely got used to its fullest. I rarely went farther than typing in the search bar what I was looking for.

Missing Aero? Again, I don't miss it. It was pretty, but that is about it.

Have multiple monitors? Windows 8 is an improvement over Windows 7. The task bar is now visible on both screens and when you are in the Metro interface the other screen always remains in desktop mode.

Task Manager? Drastically improved over Windows 7.

There are many other little new features that I find makes me more productive. The problem is that they are not well advertised. One of my favorites is moving the cursor to the bottom left of the screen and right clicking, giving me quick access to a bunch of management functions (essentially a nice handful of Admin Tools).

There are some nice Metro apps too, but I don't use too many of them. The one that gets the most use is the Remote Desktop app by Microsoft. With this, I no longer need to use something like RoyalTS.

I really only have two issues that affect me with Windows 8 that Windows 7 does for me:
  1. No more Gadgets.
  2. The Hyper-V Management console doesn't support 2008 R2 Hyper-V, only 2012. I now have to either rely on a third party or constantly stay RDP'd into my server.

I don't think that Metro needs to be taken away or the Start menu brought back, but I wouldn't complain if Microsoft would have provided a configuration option allowing you to choose where you want to Login by default, whether it be the Desktop or the Metro screen. I can see in a business how starting in the Desktop would be more useful. But navigating the Metro screen for other items versus having a Start button isn't really a hassle that others make it out to be, so that can still be left in.

If given the option from Microsoft, I would choose to have it go to the Desktop first upon login. But that is only because most of my work resides there, not because I don't like the Metro screen.

As for existing Windows 7 owners, I wouldn't say you have to rush out and buy Windows 8. Windows 7 is still a great OS. But if you are in the market for a new PC or are interested in using the latest OS, I don't see any good reason why you should shun Windows 8. It's solid, stable, and quick. Everything you could do in 7 you are able to do in 8. Now, there is a learning curve. But if you give it some honest effort, you should be able to figure most of it out within a day or two and be back at peak efficiency within the week.

Key point: "I haven't even used it"

Your workflow would not change at all. All of your apps would work perfectly well on the windows 8 desktop. You don't switch between apps with the start menu.

bs

maybe using individual applications, it might not change much... but using the OS in general (for me) drastically altered my workflow. I can appreciate that some people like the new UI and that's all well and good, it's their opinion.... but not everyone shares that sentiment.

I'm using 8 now, but if it wasn't for StartIsBack and the Ribbon removal tweak, I'd of ditched it for 7 already

bs

maybe using individual applications, it might not change much... but using the OS in general (for me) drastically altered my workflow. I can appreciate that some people like the new UI and that's all well and good, it's their opinion.... but not everyone shares that sentiment.

I'm using 8 now, but if it wasn't for StartIsBack and the Ribbon removal tweak, I'd of ditched it for 7 already

So if you're only using desktop apps, how would your workflow be that different between 7 and 8?

bs

Can you explain how it drastically altered your workflow?

The only difference it made with me is I have more pinned items on my task bar, which I think was a great feature that MS included since Windows 7 that I was using anyways.

As for taking away the Ribbons, I take it you stopped using Office since their 2007 version release? Ribbons are nothing new and, if anything, ties together with their other IPs quite nicely and makes for a more cohesive experience.

So if you're only using desktop apps, how would your workflow be that different between 7 and 8?

Like I said... for working inside applications themselves, nothing has really changed. It's using the OS that's changed.

Ribbon and the start screen (which can't be avoided, sadly) are very 'in your face'. You HAVE to use them (or clutter the hell out of your desktop and taskbar with shortcuts). It not nearly as intuitive as the start menu (or the menu bar in Linux or OSX for that matter)

Ah...I see the MS fan boys are back with the same old why don't you like Metro question every time somebody doesn't agree! I've posted on specifically why and so have many others. You don't have a right to have it explained to you nor do I ask why you love it...just Google to get as meany reasons as you like.

Can you explain how it drastically altered your workflow?

The only difference it made with me is I have more pinned items on my task bar, which I think was a great feature that MS included since Windows 7 that I was using anyways.

As for taking away the Ribbons, I take it you stopped using Office since their 2007 version release? Ribbons are nothing new and, if anything, ties together with their other IPs quite nicely and makes for a more cohesive experience.

lol cohesive, yes... efficient? hell no. Unfortunately I'm forced to use it at work, but at home I have all that crap removed.

Its a mess. I like a very clean and organized workspace. I don't like that the ribbon gives you icons of all different shapes and layouts (some vertical, some horizontal) plastered all over the bar. I prefer a simple text based list personally for finding seldom used functions, while having a minimal toolbar for commonly used functions.

It's the same reason I liked the organization of the start menu over the cluttered mess that is the start screen. It's either that, or you're pinning all your applications to the taskbar or desktop. No thanks.

Ah...I see the MS fan boys are back with the same old why don't you like Metro question every time somebody doesn't agree! I've posted on specifically why and so have many others. You don't have a right to have it explained to you nor do I ask why you love it...just Google to get as meany reasons as you like.

Good point... I never see anyone who dislikes the UI trying to have the ones that do justify why they like it.

they really should have pushed win8 as a mobile or tablet only OS... I would never in a zillion years put that shit on my desktop pcs.

If you don't like the new version buy windows 7 and re-install it yourself.....millions of users buying apple because windows 8 sucks lmao, that is the best BS I've ever heard in my life. This is the Apple marketing group in full swing there. Who needs to pay employees when you have fanboys to do the job for you? I have noticed that logic in this world is no longer practiced by the general populous. Don't like the new version make sure you have the old version and install that.....simple, if you don't know ask someone to do it for you and not buy a more expensive proprietary product.....

Like I said... for working inside applications themselves, nothing has really changed. It's using the OS that's changed.

Ribbon and the start screen (which can't be avoided, sadly) are very 'in your face'. You HAVE to use them (or clutter the hell out of your desktop and taskbar with shortcuts). It not nearly as intuitive as the start menu (or the menu bar in Linux or OSX for that matter)

Thanks. I do get your point about applications themselves.

Good point... I never see anyone who dislikes the UI trying to have the ones that do justify why they like it.

I think I have stated many times that I can understand why people don't like the new UI. There's always the element of individual tastes and I don't really question that. What I wonder about is when people do make statements about how dramatically their workflow changes or how Windows 8 requires so many more steps to do a task. When dealing with just the desktop I just haven't found things to be so radically different or inefficient. Adding Metro apps into the mix does change things quite a bit though as I've said many times.

Since I use Windows on a variety of form factors and input methods, I find the new UI to be much more portable. I can do pretty much all of the things I do on a desktop in 8 as in 7 and can do MUCH more on tablet devices. I use Windows in ways that simply didn't work well in prior versions and having the same UI across all of these devices to me simplifies the experience overall. Start Screen on a tablet but Start Menu on a desktop. I'd just rather have one way to do things and be done with it along as those ways work reasonably well across input methods and devices.

Windows 8 does have a lot of work to do to get the keyboard and mouse and desktop experience better integrated, and looking at the Blue leaks thus far I think that's what Microsoft is trying to do. But I know that some people just want the old UI back because that's what they know and have used for years.

Thanks. I do get your point about applications themselves.

I think I have stated many times that I can understand why people don't like the new UI. There's always the element of individual tastes and I don't really question that. What I wonder about is when people do make statements about how dramatically their workflow changes or how Windows 8 requires so many more steps to do a task. When dealing with just the desktop I just haven't found things to be so radically different or inefficient. Adding Metro apps into the mix does change things quite a bit though as I've said many times.

Since I use Windows on a variety of form factors and input methods, I find the new UI to be much more portable. I can do pretty much all of the things I do on a desktop in 8 as in 7 and can do MUCH more on tablet devices. I use Windows in ways that simply didn't work well in prior versions and having the same UI across all of these devices to me simplifies the experience overall. Start Screen on a tablet but Start Menu on a desktop. I'd just rather have one way to do things and be done with it along as those ways work reasonably well across input methods and devices.

Windows 8 does have a lot of work to do to get the keyboard and mouse and desktop experience better integrated, and looking at the Blue leaks thus far I think that's what Microsoft is trying to do. But I know that some people just want the old UI back because that's what they know and have used for years.

I want the choice back...from your comments I don't think you do. Is that so wrong to have choice? You can have both as we all know. Why must you or MS try to force us into change for what people believe is no benefit for desktop users and the new UI? Please tell me how much more efficient and productive the new UI will make our employees as our tests don't show any other than upgrade and training costs in its current state?

Actually, all the "pros" that I know are singing it's praises. Hell, multichannel SMB alone is worth the $20 upgrade price. The only folks I know of that don't like it are gamers who THINK they're "pro". You know the kind. Flat-bill, hellaflush, tap-out, CoD players. They love to hop on any bandwagon they can, and the Windows 8 hate is the current popular one.

Alright.....
There have been alot of talk in this forum about Win8 from people that like it and those that don't. I think it's time to put everything out front and on the table for everyone to see (clearly).

I'm asking ANYONE that can give REAL reasons for using/upgrading to Win8 (on desktops/laptops). I'm not asking for opinions or biases. I'm not asking for "it works just fine for me" or "it crashed 10 minutes after bootup". It has been said that Win8 will do everything that Win7 does (I wont argue that point).

so....

What does Win8 do that nothing else does?

Aside from that idea that MS will eventually stop support for Win7. I want a real (technical) explanation as to a solid functional reason that would motivate someone to use it. I'm also NOT interested in hearing about being "up-to-date" as this is NOT a real answer.

Does it have anything to do with solid state drives?
Does it offer some sort of security protection schema that no other os is capable of?
What about it's algorithmic method for writing files to the drive?
Is this something with DirectX? or Flash?
Did they change IE (an HTML5 thing) in such a way that nothing will work properly unless it's on Win8?

What makes Win8 technically worthwhile?

I want a REAL reason for being "forced" into this. If we can get THAT, then maybe we can actually get somewhere in this discussion. Otherwise...it's all just this persons opinion vs. that persons opinion. Meanwhile those who know little to nothing about it, all end up as sheeple.

I just don't get why all the complaints about things folks don't like about Windows 8 keep going on when they are easily changed in seconds.

Folks keep saying Metro Start Screen is unavoidable. No it isn't. Just install Classic Start and it boots straight to Desktop.

Set your default applications to the Desktop ones, takes about 45 seconds.

Pin the Control Panel to the Taskbar if you have to. Takes 10 seconds via Search (you do know how to use Search I take it?).

It's all easily configured.

And don't give me that bull about "You shouldn't have to configure Windows to work they way you want it!"

Like you are telling me you all use your Windows 7 installs "out of the box" with zero tweaking and configuration?

What does Win8 do that nothing else does?

My starter for 10.

Well compared to Windows 7 it will load the AV first if you get infected and will clean off the virus at the next boot. Seen it happen to. Works a treat! Windows 7/Vista etc. all bend over and pull their pants down instead if they get infected.

Back