Windows 8 Has Driven Millions To Become Apple Users

You've given no details about what you're trying to do. The capability of touch hardware does very a lot. That's not being an MS fanboy because MS probably didn't make it.

Yey Heatless to the rescue to tell you that your holding it wrong.

Sure. Third party hardware solutions on top of a desktop OS that has no concept of touch screens, just like Windows XP except the part about third party hardware since Microsoft actually supported Windows XP. Just like Windows 8 with first party support and touch and power aware apps. I have no idea why people complain about the lack of the classic UI in Windows 8 when they can just download small piece of software. Just like a Mac user can download a touch overlay. And make it a totally awesome touch aware OS. Apple will surely support it to the fullest extent of the law.

I hear people tell me this all the time when I tell them $50 is what it'd cost them to fix things.

"I'll go buy an Apple, $50 is too much"

I occasionally will ask one of them to tell me how much that Apple will cost them.

They never can answer. To them Apple = iPad. Most of the dumbasses aren't even aware
that Apple makes desktops / laptops.

Microsoft Windows division is flat year over year. All of their other divisions have grown. Microsoft's extra revenue is from their other divisions.

If I need to hack my operating system to get it to work the way I want it to, I might as well use Linux.

Here's another FUD-spewer, folks. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/technology/microsoft-profit-rises-19.html?_r=0 (watch him never return to admit he was wrong)

I don't think installing a wizard-based program in under 2 minutes from google search to finish is considered "hacking" your operating system, sir.

Touch pads, sure. So does every desktop OS to some degree though Mac touch pads are generally consider cd the best in the business.

That and OS X supports multitouch gestures throughout the entire user interface.

I can take or leave either Windows or OS X on the desktop. There are little differences but I'm happy with both. For laptops, OS X all the way, Windows doesn't come close in terms of portable use.

If I need to hack my operating system to get it to work the way I want it to, I might as well use Linux.

So when you do a install of Windows 7 you don't do anything more after you take the USB/DVD out of the drive then?

You just install and go is that it? No other additions or changes at all?

(rubs chin)

Here's another FUD-spewer, folks. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/technology/microsoft-profit-rises-19.html?_r=0 (watch him never return to admit he was wrong)

I don't think installing a wizard-based program in under 2 minutes from google search to finish is considered "hacking" your operating system, sir.

Were is the FUD? I am not an normal H person here and actually read the article. Are you sure you linked to the correct one? I read no FUD in there what so ever.

Wow, if installing a start menu replacement is hacking, then I guess we are all [H] then, huh? :rolleyes:

I can take or leave either Windows or OS X on the desktop. There are little differences but I'm happy with both. For laptops, OS X all the way, Windows doesn't come close in terms of portable use.

Not sure how this makes sense since Windows 8 can run on touch tablets the size of the iPad with in the neighborhood of 10 hours of battery life.

Were is the FUD? I am not an normal H person here and actually read the article. Are you sure you linked to the correct one? I read no FUD in there what so ever.

Wow, if installing a start menu replacement is hacking, then I guess we are all [H] then, huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, this seemed like a very fair and balanced article, particularly coming from the NY Times which is not particularly fond of Microsoft.

Yeah, this seemed like a very fair and balanced article, particularly coming from the NY Times which is not particularly fond of Microsoft.

I guess my post wasn't clear, I meant the guy I quoted was a fud spewer, and was linking the nyt article as a rebuttal. :)

You've given no details about what you're trying to do. The capability of touch hardware does very a lot. That's not being an MS fanboy because MS probably didn't make it.

You don't have a right to have it explained to you...Windows 8 touch doesn't work for us in this particular instance. Actually the Android tablet did much better as far as that part but the compatibility wasn't There. You will just have to get past it now...

You don't have a right to have it explained to you...Windows 8 touch doesn't work for us in this particular instance. Actually the Android tablet did much better as far as that part but the compatibility wasn't There. You will just have to get past it now...

Who said anything about rights? If you don't want to talk about it, then why bring it up? It's impossible to make reasonable assessment about your situation without more details. So some unknown application doesn't work well with a capacitive stylus on some unknown tablet running Windows 8. Just guessing here without much information, like I said earlier, I have a feeling that an active digitizer would help with your issue.

Who said anything about rights? If you don't want to talk about it, then why bring it up? It's impossible to make reasonable assessment about your situation without more details. So some unknown application doesn't work well with a capacitive stylus on some unknown tablet running Windows 8. Just guessing here without much information, like I said earlier, I have a feeling that an active digitizer would help with your issue.

Since I don't feel like writing the entire history of what we've researched you will just have to take my professional opinion for it. That OK with you? BTW since you work for MS can you tell us when Blue or 8.1 will be released? Maybe we can re-test then!

Since I don't feel like writing the entire history of what we've researched you will just have to take my professional opinion for it. That OK with you? BTW since you work for MS can you tell us when Blue or 8.1 will be released? Maybe we can re-test then!

Since I don't work for Microsoft I have no information about the release of Blue outside of what is publicly available and Blue won't fix the problem anyway. And I don't have to work for Microsoft to know that a capacitive stylus probably won't well with a desktop application that was design to be used with a high precision pointer like a mouse. It probably has nothing to do with the hardware (outside of touch not being appropriate for the software in question) of the OS. You'd have the same problem trying to run such an application over RDP even on an Android tablet. Again the solution is probably an active digitizer pen.

But seriously, I would use Windows 8 over Mac OS, for software compatibility alone.

That is probably the single strongest reason to use 8. A number of family members have Mac books, and frankly, once you get past any anti-apple feelings, they're fun to mess around with. If my games ran on OSX, I'd have no problem buying one. Microsoft is clearly focusing on mobile and mobile integration now, while OSX still feels like a desktop environment.

Why are your friends so poor?

So it may not have occurred to you that this friend might have a lot of money because they only buy what they need? Older couple, friends of my wife actually. Sweet ass house on the lake. Pretty thoughtless response from some like you.

So it may not have occurred to you that this friend might have a lot of money because they only buy what they need? Older couple, friends of my wife actually. Sweet ass house on the lake. Pretty thoughtless response from some like you.

Not to mention, most people don't scoff at $500 as though it's a penny or two, as wonderfield seems to do ;).

Not to mention, most people don't scoff at $500 as though it's a penny or two, as wonderfield seems to do ;).

$500 is nothing to this couple. They simply set budgets and won't pay a penny more than that. It's just how they live and one reason why they're loaded.

Well if millions of people are moving from Windows to OS X, they don't seem to be buying new Mac hardware while doing it:

Apple is selling less Macs than this time last year, with sales down from 4 million to 3.95 million, but the computers it's selling are more expensive — revenue for Macs was up two percent year-over-year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4258068/apple-posts-9-5b-profit-on-43-6b-in-revenue

So while Apple did a lot better than the PC industry as a whole no doubt even they saw a 2% decline in unit volume. So we have almost two full quarters of PC vs Mac sales data, both were down in both quarters, and the average decline over both quarters is about even. So right now there just doesn't seem to be much evidence that people are fleeing to the Mac because of Windows 8. Indeed, just as this same story was floated around when Vista was out, this mass desktop migration has no numbers to back it up.

Apple did sell a shit load of iPads, up 60% year over year, but no break down between the big iPad and mini, the mini was probably the driver of the growth. And probably the Apple device that people bought if they didn't like Windows 8.

I think windows 8 is awesome aside from the useless Metro UI. Do away with that and people won't complain. Windows RT has a use for metro ui, not desktop version.

Back