Windows 8 Has Driven Millions To Become Apple Users

Other than the tiles interface, there is nothing worse about it when compared to Windows 7. A lot of stuff is even better than Windows 7.

So get Classic Start (free), and get over your hate of Windows 8.

I agree that the Tile interface is total crap, but it only takes like 5 minutes to fix it.

So easy, even a non [H] can do it.

I don't believe this one bit, People are still happy with their Windows VISTA and WINDOWS 7. People who are unhappy with WIN8 they can simply wait for win 8.1 and give Microsoft a chance to fix the end user issues. Good Luck MICROSOFT LOVE YOU.

The PR damage has been done + microsoft's mistreatment of the oems is exasperating....

What else are oems going to say? They like it?

So, people are leaving the "PC" for Apple in droves, driving down sales, but Apple sales are down too. Can someone please explain this?

Yeah...

Idk...sounds to me people just like to finger point. Performance wise Win 8 has been even better for me in day to day things. Most of the game performance is negligible between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Only complaints that should be valid are secure boot if you're dual booting operating systems now makes that much harder.

The only complaint people have is that metro interface and is it really that bad to have to momentarily switch to bring up a program regardless of it being metro or desktop based? You shouldn't be spending a lot of time with your start menu open anyways or else you really have a bigger issue IMO.

The news headlines always ALWAYS go anti-Microsoft every single time a new OS launches. Every time. No exceptions.

Yes, PC sales are down. Mac sales are in the toilet too.

The fact that people are willing to handle all their computing needs on halfassed tablets is more a factor of MONEY and EDUCATION. They don't have the money to own a desktop, they have to have a phone. So that means you either get a more powerful phone and forgo the powerful desktop or you get a basic phone and a basic tablet so you can sort-of email people.

The 3rd option is keep your 8 year old laptop working. Let me tell you, I'm spending more time cobbling people's old brokeass laptops back together than everything else combined right now.

They CAN'T AFFORD A NEW LAPTOP EVEN AT $399.

Be afraid. The dream is dying.

It was the seven hour battery life, weight at four pounds, 2880x1800 screen, and the ability to play games at that resolution (although obviously not on ultra) that attracted me one, the OS had little to do with it.

Oh NOZ.......windoz R ruining the earth.......

just deal with it.......:eek:

Windows 8 is so bad it is actually driving millions of people to become Apple users? Riiiight, now I've heard everything. I wonder how many of these "anonymous sources" just happen to be looking for headlines? :rolleyes:

Heh.

According to the actual retail sales figures in notebooks, Windows 8 DID drive millions of potential customers to another Operating System; it just wasn't Apple.

The Samsung and Acer Chromebooks based on Google's ChromeOS topped both internet and retail sales charts over the fiscal end of 2012. According to IDC's numbers the Chromebooks were perhaps the only sales factor that kept the traditional Notebook-PC market from plummeting even lower.

That being said the actual retail sales numbers on the Chromebooks are elusive. Factors as to this elusiveness include the base hardware platform; as outside of Samsung's flagship ARM version, the other Chromebooks shared hardware chassis with systems that were sold with a Microsoft license. We do know that Samsung ran out of the ARM chassis stock and all known units manufactured during December simply filled in backorders.

Another factor was market targeting. The argument can be made the current version of ChromeOS is hardly suited as a drop-in replacement for a Windows Operating System; ergo the Chromebooks should only be compared to the Windows 8 RT releases; or alternatively lumped in with other non-traditional platforms such as tablets and smartphones. I've seen a couple of analysis that ditched known Chromebook sales figures in this manner just to make total shipments, and as a result Windows 8, look all that much worse.

That being said, companies like HP and CDW would not start shipping, or provisioning their own versions as is the case with CDW, if there was not a substantial demand for such products. We'll probably see more Custom versions of ChromeOS over 2013 that leverage the Google Provisioning System to deploy customized versions with a more typical GNU/Linux software compilation, or other specific software loadouts.

The argument can also be made that Windows 8 alone was not responsible for the massive rush on Chromebook's, Android Tablets, and yes, Apple Tablets. Like it or not, Microsoft hasn't really given consumers a compelling reason to replace their aging Windows XP systems; evidenced by the sheer number of consumer desktops still tracked through Internet Connection. While Windows 8, or rather modern style UI certainly deserves credit for expediting the exodus of casual Windows consumers; the price-point of Windows 8 systems ($1000 for Surface? Yeah right, not in a recessive economy) had just as great an impact as the software itself.

The argument for saying those unhappy with Windows 8 ran to Apple is, well, specious at best. Available market evidence would suggest that those unhappy with Windows 8 were more likely to invest in either a Desktop /Linux distribution to place on their existing hardware; or purchase an aftermarket Windows 7 license.

I witnessed a case of this happening, but this was a tech savvy 30something who needed a work laptop that "just worked". After a few days of Win8 he returned it, he needed a laptop that "just worked and wasn't fucking stupid and dysfunctional" because MS changed something again and Win8 became an even larger no-no for people working in the realm of audio engineering.

Why is this so hard to believe Steve? Are you guys really so anti apple that you'll forgive MS for everything?

It is this so hard to believe because it is provable clearly a outright lie that only kool-aid drinking zombies would believe.

If Windows 8 had driven millions to Apple the Apple PC sales would be up millions... DUH, they ain't... DUH.

You'll say anything to defend MS won't you. It didn't say OS X, it said Apple. People are buying Apple iPads and not Windows 8 computers.

More silliness. People buying tables has nothing to do with Windows 8, you might have noticed that unless you have been asleep for years.

Actually my niece would be one of those people who baought a Mac because of Windows 8.

She'd used both PC's and Macs over the years, and she need a new laptop for school. They wanted to get a new windows laptop (in the $500 range). She tried Windows 8, but hated it so much, they ended up spending a couple hundered more to buy an older model Mac laptop.

Actually my niece would be one of those people who baought a Mac because of Windows 8.

She'd used both PC's and Macs over the years, and she need a new laptop for school. They wanted to get a new windows laptop (in the $500 range). She tried Windows 8, but hated it so much, they ended up spending a couple hundered more to buy an older model Mac laptop.

She had already used a Mac so it's not like she was jumping into something completely new.

I really like Windows 8, I really do.

But ever since iPad and vmware/Parallels you could say I'm a "over 51%" Apple consumer now.

Oh and I love Google web services but hate Android, weird.

Heh.

According to the actual retail sales figures in notebooks, Windows 8 DID drive millions of potential customers to another Operating System; it just wasn't Apple.

The Samsung and Acer Chromebooks based on Google's ChromeOS topped both internet and retail sales charts over the fiscal end of 2012. According to IDC's numbers the Chromebooks were perhaps the only sales factor that kept the traditional Notebook-PC market from plummeting even lower.

That being said the actual retail sales numbers on the Chromebooks are elusive. Factors as to this elusiveness include the base hardware platform; as outside of Samsung's flagship ARM version, the other Chromebooks shared hardware chassis with systems that were sold with a Microsoft license. We do know that Samsung ran out of the ARM chassis stock and all known units manufactured during December simply filled in backorders.

Another factor was market targeting. The argument can be made the current version of ChromeOS is hardly suited as a drop-in replacement for a Windows Operating System; ergo the Chromebooks should only be compared to the Windows 8 RT releases; or alternatively lumped in with other non-traditional platforms such as tablets and smartphones. I've seen a couple of analysis that ditched known Chromebook sales figures in this manner just to make total shipments, and as a result Windows 8, look all that much worse.

That being said, companies like HP and CDW would not start shipping, or provisioning their own versions as is the case with CDW, if there was not a substantial demand for such products. We'll probably see more Custom versions of ChromeOS over 2013 that leverage the Google Provisioning System to deploy customized versions with a more typical GNU/Linux software compilation, or other specific software loadouts.

The argument can also be made that Windows 8 alone was not responsible for the massive rush on Chromebook's, Android Tablets, and yes, Apple Tablets. Like it or not, Microsoft hasn't really given consumers a compelling reason to replace their aging Windows XP systems; evidenced by the sheer number of consumer desktops still tracked through Internet Connection. While Windows 8, or rather modern style UI certainly deserves credit for expediting the exodus of casual Windows consumers; the price-point of Windows 8 systems ($1000 for Surface? Yeah right, not in a recessive economy) had just as great an impact as the software itself.

The argument for saying those unhappy with Windows 8 ran to Apple is, well, specious at best. Available market evidence would suggest that those unhappy with Windows 8 were more likely to invest in either a Desktop /Linux distribution to place on their existing hardware; or purchase an aftermarket Windows 7 license.

Looks like Chromebooks in their first two years sold as well as the Surface RT did in its first two months: Chrome OS doing significantly worse than Windows RT

Other than these fact less articles, there's just don't seem to be any signs that people are moving to other platforms because of Windows 8. Indeed the last Steam survey, the first full month of Linux for steam have Windows 8 as the #2 OS used on Steam, only behind Windows 7, with a healthy uptick that month. Linux usage plummeted in the same time frame.

One of the reasons Microsoft did what it did with Windows 8 is because they probably felt reasonably sure that even if Windows 8 didn't do well, the desktop war has been over for years and even as PC sales decline, people wouldn't transition to another desktop OS but instead tablets or smart phones or just keep Windows 7. And it appears that they were probably right about that part at least.

Oh and shout out to AppleTV if they ever get Xbox-level gaming on there then I'll be damned...:cool:

The only complaint people have is that metro interface and is it really that bad to have to momentarily switch to bring up a program regardless of it being metro or desktop based? You shouldn't be spending a lot of time with your start menu open anyways or else you really have a bigger issue IMO.

Yes it is, because the problem is more than just the metro interface.

Can you shut down Windows 8 from the start menu?
No, you have to move the mouse to the right side of the screen and wait for the charms bar to pop up, then pick shutdown.

Control panel on from the start menu?
No again.

first we keep hearing the PC is dead due to smart phones and tablets
plus corporations and individuals arekeeping PCs longer - the economy is still teetering and if your fiances are shaky, and your computer still does what you need it to, are you goin gto change?
finally i thought the rule of thumb was that you should waity until SP1 before upgrading to get the big bugs out - where is W8 SP1?

This would be like claiming that because it's hard to find a girlfriend, millions of men became gay.

This is funny.
But ya know, it would likely be about the kind of women there are to choose from and not the number of them. It did make me laugh though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note:
I have noticed an uptick in the number of MACs I see people with, but that started with Vista and not so much with Win8. The trend seems to be continuing.

I read a lot of these "Windows 8 causes cancer!" articles and one thing springs out to me is the complete lack of logic in most of them. Most of them really don't make sense in the real world.

It's like the author writes "I've been a professional track and field athlete for 10 years. I bought some new running shoes with laces just like my previous pair. But damn it I just can't work out how to tie the laces! I've had to go back to wearing my old pair of lace up running shoes! Those new shoes are just so dumb!"

Folks used to using computers for 20 years suddenly don't appear to know how to use one as soon as Windows 8 is installed. How does that happen?

It doesn't.

I read a lot of these "Windows 8 causes cancer!" articles and one thing springs out to me is the complete lack of logic in most of them. Most of them really don't make sense in the real world.

It's like the author writes "I've been a professional track and field athlete for 10 years. I bought some new running shoes with laces just like my previous pair. But damn it I just can't work out how to tie the laces! I've had to go back to wearing my old pair of lace up running shoes! Those new shoes are just so dumb!"

Folks used to using computers for 20 years suddenly don't appear to know how to use one as soon as Windows 8 is installed. How does that happen?

It doesn't.

A better analogy would be like going from purpose-built track shoes to velcro-strap Pro Wings.

No, you have to move the mouse to the right side of the screen and wait for the charms bar to pop up, then pick shutdown.

Never have understood why this is such a big deal. It is different but just how often do people power down a computer this way? Most laptop users would simply close their lids.

No again.

Access to the Control Panel is in the Power Menu, right click left hot corner, just as fast as the Start Menu. Yeah, it's hidden.

And I do get that complaint. But at the same time once you know where these things are there's just no need for chrome. The basics of UI control in Windows 8 are summed up in the four hot corners, right clicking in left hot corner for the Power Menu. That's almost literally all there is from a conventional mouse perspective. It's amazing how something so simple gets to be such an amazingly burdensome thing.

Right-Click on the Bottom-Left corner, select Control Panel

You mean like a hidden semi useful start button like menu that you have to right click on? Yeah that wasn't one of their brightest ideas was it for desktop users.

I just see the same 'niggles' mentioned over and over again even though the fixes for all of them take about 10 seconds each to sort or a Google search would advise on.

Kind of issues that should have disappeared for competent users 6 months ago.

Not being able to find the Control Panel or get to the Desktop...and I thought this was a forum for experienced users?

No again.

I rarely ever shut my PC off. But if I did, I could press ALT-F4 from the desktop. Or press the power button on my tower. Or use the link in the charms bar. Or created a shutdown short cut for the start screen, a tip which is been documented in Windows 8 tips and tricks articles.

Right-click the bottom left-hand corner of the start screen, select Control Panel from the menu.

Again, more petty grievances about Windows 8.

I'd counter. They never knew how to use a computer. They've been trained where to go to use it for their needs. They see block screen and crash.

You mean like a hidden semi useful start button like menu that you have to right click on? Yeah that wasn't one of their brightest ideas was it for desktop users.

Actually it is only for desktop users as there's no easy way to access this menu via touch. Yes it's hidden, but it very useful on a desktop or laptop. If one doesn't like it that's fine, but it is there and an lot of people making complaints about the UI don't seem to know that.

And there's a nice little tool to customize it: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30

Derp Derp Derp.

OMG! How are I use clicky rectangles? IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD.

Windows 8 is crap. Lot of pro users are avoiding it so its not just that 'noobs' don't understand it or fear change.
Nobody gives a flying fuck about these so called pro users. Less than 1% of whole population. Stay with your Windows 7 and stop whining.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about these so called pro users. Less than 1% of whole population. Stay with your Windows 7 and stop whining.

If they were "pros" then they would be able to solve their UI problem. I run Win8 at work and at home. I rarely see the start screen unless I want to. Just like I rarely actually ever used the start menu on Win7. I use a variety UI add-ons for a better experience (for me).

Apple: presents new UI that is a grid of buttons. Response "OMG! Sooo innovative. Where do I sign up for a chance to suck Steve Jobs dick?"

MSFT: presents new UI that is a grid of rectangles. Response "OMG! How r I use kumputar!??!?!?ONE DERP!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Shoutout to heatlesssun, beat me to those Win8 tips man :cool:

LOL! I've actually learn a lot about Windows 8 in these Hate 8 threads simply by researching some of the complaints or thinking about if there's new tools out there. I just did a search on customizing the Power Menu and came across that Winaero tool. Which actually addresses the other complaint that nutzo was talking about, the shut down options. Win+X Menu Editor has an option to automatically add all of the shut down options to the Power Menu.

Back