Windows 8 Beta

Love this thread. All the hatred is EXACTLY like the ribbon hate when Office 2007 came out. OUTRAGE! DISGUST! Well guess what the ribbon was superior in absolutely every way, and this will work itself out as well.

Love this thread. All the hatred is EXACTLY like the ribbon hate when Office 2007 came out. OUTRAGE! DISGUST! Well guess what the ribbon was superior in absolutely every way, and this will work itself out as well.

You do know your comment is flame bait, right? I agree with you 100%, FLAME ON!

Are you trying to say that a UI, designed for tablets, is better on a desktop pc with a mouse, than the normal start menu is? It's not going to be faster to find programs. You're going to be limited to what you can view at a time. You're going to have to spend time configuring the layout. What advantages does it provide that make those disadvantages null? Please enlighten me with something other than "It's the future". It sure is the future, the future of tablets, but my desktop isn't a tablet.

I found an extra 1TB HDD lying around, I think I'm going to put Windows 8 on there for my desktop and try it out a bit as my primary OS.

Are you trying to say that a UI, designed for tablets, is better on a desktop pc with a mouse, than the normal start menu?

If you don't like the new UI, click the desktop and voila, its gone. If there are still people who actually use the start menu for anything but searching, then you can just pin your most used apps to the front of the start screen, and it doesn't take any more time or effort to access them.

Couldn't agree more and I made the same analogy.

So MS makes a big UI change , something users have been asking for ..just about the last 2 decades and now all the hardcore users are crying " I want a minimalist interface because my PC is a tool" :rolleyes:

Perhaps before passing judgement you should wait for the next billion builds that are coming before the final release. You may even find yourself enjoying the interface after you get use to it and strip down those denial walls you seem so fond of.

Thanks for the assist! I did try the HP drivers and didn't have any luck there either. I hadn't had enough time to do any real troubleshooting though on the video switch, I thought it might be sending it to external but didn't have a vga cable around to verify that yesterday.

np

Did you try running the driver setup in compatibility mode? You'll probably have better luck if you go straight for the 11.8 AMD drivers, though be sure to download the FULL installer instead of AMD's web setup. The latter outright failed on me.

If you don't like the new UI, click the desktop and voila, its gone. If there are still people who actually use the start menu for anything but searching, then you can just pin your most used apps to the front of the start screen, and it doesn't take any more time or effort to access them.

i have to scroll to the far far right to get past the preinstalled menu options for one.

i like the start menu, but i do pin all the apps i use to the task bar, the Windows key / start button is screwing me up alot though and also the full screen IE, when you open a link in "another tab" how do i get to that tab!

So MS makes a big UI change , something users have been asking for ..just about the last 2 decades and now all the hardcore users are crying " I want a minimalist interface because my PC is a tool" :rolleyes:

Perhaps before passing judgement you should wait for the next billion builds that are coming before the final release. You may even find yourself enjoying the interface after you get use to it and strip down those denial walls you seem so fond of.

Guilty as charged. I hated the Win 8 UI for the first few hours, even using the metro disable hack, after reading some enlightened posts regarding how to use it and the philosophy behind it, I'm pretty much sold on it and I'm not using any kind of touch device with it. But I can see some potential improvements, I'd like to be able to use my G700 mouse wheel horizontal scroll to scroll the metro start screen, and maybe a mouse to the edge of the screen scroll, and/or a hold and scroll like adobe's pdf viewer. But I have a feeling most tech users are not going to be as open minded as I am, sadly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try to install Nvidia or ATI drivers on this Windows 8 M3 pre-alpha.

Windows 7 uses WDDM 1.1 graphics drivers and Windows 8 uses WDDM 1.2 graphics drivers. You will screw with the DX11 rendered UI on Windows 8 if you use WDDM 1.1 drivers instead of WDDM 1.2.

Besides, Window 8 comes with quite new graphics drivers. At least for my GTX 480 it came with drivers dated August 2011.

I'm not really complaining about the new interface on the desktop, I just think they need to work on the transition portion of it, feels kinda like playing a UE3 game and all of a sudden it drops the graphics level back to UT99 levels. Right now it clashes too much with the new interface. I know it isn't even close to beta yet so hopefully that's something they can improve on.

Been using it now as my primary OS since release, no big complaints. The new multimon support needs some finishing touches but the "desktop" experience hasn't changed that much, and I've begun to appreciate the Metro UI more and more.

I cant see why there's so much flame going on though, some Microsoft VP already told us in an webcast that we will be able to choose between the classic start menu and the Metro.

i have to scroll to the far far right to get past the preinstalled menu options for one.

i like the start menu, but i do pin all the apps i use to the task bar, the Windows key / start button is screwing me up alot though and also the full screen IE, when you open a link in "another tab" how do i get to that tab!

Yeah, if set your task bar to auto hide it doesn't really work, pretty obvious problem and I'm not sure how it can be addressed, there's just a conflict but Microsoft will have to something here.. As for the Start Screen it would be nice if it were two dimensional, i.e. if it scrolled horizontally and vertically. I'd also like to see tile groups or folders.

I wouldn't try to install Nvidia or ATI drivers on this Windows 8 M3 pre-alpha.

Windows 7 uses WDDM 1.1 graphics drivers and Windows 8 uses WDDM 1.2 graphics drivers. You will screw with the DX11 rendered UI on Windows 8 if you use WDDM 1.1 drivers instead of WDDM 1.2.

Besides, Window 8 comes with quite new graphics drivers. At least for my GTX 480 it came with drivers dated August 2011.

The problem is that some of the drivers provided by Microsoft are very broken or feature incomplete (e.g. issues with hybrid graphics). With exception to brightness controls and touch orientation, the WDDM 1.1 drivers seem to work fine for me. Keep in mind that the minimum display driver requirements for W8 are WDDM 1.0.

The new UI looks like a toy and if your job is working on the PC and not using your PC as a tool, I can see where you like it as a relief from the boredom.

To me the new UI is going to be an annoyance to get use to and figure out how to adjust for my needs and adds nothing for me.

You don't have to use full screen IE, and you can remove any tile you want from the start screen, so you don't have to scroll to the far far right.

Has anyone tried this developer preview on a laptop with a i910/915 chipset? I've noticed that there is no way to turn off the HW accelerated desktop even with the basic theme enabled. The last two Windows operating systems came with a WDDM driver for the aforementioned chipset, though it didn't support Aero due to missing hardware features i.e. a scheduler or something.

The new UI looks like a toy and if your job is working on the PC and not using your PC as a tool, I can see where you like it as a relief from the boredom.

To me the new UI is going to be an annoyance to get use to and figure out how to adjust for my needs and adds nothing for me.

I know MS won't sell it this way, but for the productive people Windows 7 is the way to go. When you take basic courses on work habits and critical chain activities, the thought of even having so many social distractions in your face all the time is counter-productive.

I know MS won't sell it this way, but for the productive people Windows 7 is the way to go. When you take basic courses on work habits and critical chain activities, the thought of even having so many social distractions in your face all the time is counter-productive.

Not all of those distractions have to be social. The Start Screen makes an excellent dashboard. I know of a number of business workflow applications that could make tremendous use of this as a notification system for real work.

36344d1315956226-microsoft-bob-returns-metro-bob_large.jpg

Are you trying to say that a UI, designed for tablets, is better on a desktop pc with a mouse, than the normal start menu is? It's not going to be faster to find programs. You're going to be limited to what you can view at a time. You're going to have to spend time configuring the layout. What advantages does it provide that make those disadvantages null? Please enlighten me with something other than "It's the future". It sure is the future, the future of tablets, but my desktop isn't a tablet.

Can't you switch to the more normal windows interface? I thought about doing it the other day but when I booted my virtual machine (virtualbox), windows 8 wouldn't boot up. So I guess I need to re-install it again and find out unless someone tells me whether this is possible or not!

Well screw this crap.

I can't seem to play with it at work [with all these people looking]. I need to install .NET framework 3.5 and WIN8 wants to connect to Windows Update for some reason, to obtain some compatibility crap I assume, and Windows Update is blocked at work (probably to control patching). Nothing will install from Run Advertised Programs.

Right now it's making an awesome time and date keeper with a pretty mountain backdrop that reminds me of the landscape from Oblivion.

installed fairly fast and no issue so far on this comapq desktop.

Product Features

• VISION Technology by AMD
    Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
  • AMD E-Series dual-core processor E-350*
    For effective processing.
  • 3GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
    For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
  • 512KB + 512KB L2 cache memory
    For efficient system processing.
  • 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    Offers plenty of storage capacity.
  • AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics
    Feature up to 1462MB video memory for lush images with stunning detail.
  • 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
  • Built-in 10/100Base-T networking interface
    For quick and easy wired Web connection.
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
    Provides a stable computing platform.
  • Software package included
    With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
  • AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*This model number indicates relative software performance among this AMD processor family.

Just got this installed on my 2740p......Touch did not work out of the box, I had to go the HP's site to get teh Wacom drivers (works great now) .... Need to get used to the main screen for tablet usage, annoying how I have to use the bar on bottom to scroll, rather than swiping (with the pen, i rarely use finger touch since I use this tablet to write on ~90% of the time) .... Seems quite nice/stable.....just a few quirks that i am working out now, more just an unfamiliarity thing ...

Metro:

For tablets - Looks great.
For a media center 10" ui - Looks promising
For desktop use - fail

I've never said 'fail' before.

As a power user using metro will add probably an hour onto my work day.

Metro:

For desktop use - fail

again, the title is misleading. It's a developer preview for Metro UI, not a beta of Windows 8 in general.

Metro:

For desktop use - fail

Please enlighten us how that would happen.

Please enlighten us how that would happen.

Yes, tons of people are saying how the new Start Screen adds inefficiency to the desktop but offering only the vaugest of reasons why. There's a lot of work to be done on all of this but the only thing that's really bugging me right now is that I usually Autohide my task bar and the new Start Screen doesn't work well in that situation, otherwise with the task bar locked I feel just as productive as I would be on a Windows 7 system.

Yes, tons of people are saying how the new Start Screen adds inefficiency to the desktop but offering only the vaugest of reasons why. There's a lot of work to be done on all of this but the only thing that's really bugging me right now is that I usually Autohide my task bar and the new Start Screen doesn't work well in that situation, otherwise with the task bar locked I feel just as productive as I would be on a Windows 7 system.

I ended up moving my task bar to the right side of my screen because the start button shared the same location that brings up the charms menu. I hope they can work out a way around this.

Remember how cack windows mobile was, why? cus they basically crammed too much in, they overcomplicated things.

To me, metro for the desktop (that we all have used this way back when) is oversimplifying things, i'd be fine with this if it wasn't so tied in.

It's fine for tablets, i think a 10 foot media center replacement with an app store, tv store, movie store, streaming apps etc would be great as metro ui lends itself to this well but for desktop I really can't see it

To me it's a bit like using windows media center with a mouse when you could use windows media player, sure wmc looks better and is easier to use but isn't as efficient.

Also, people comparing this to the ribbon in office are way out, office is a program and the ribbon (which I liked from day one) is a minor change compared to a fundamental windows change.

This thing is, you never, ever, ever, ever have to open a metro app if you don't want to, the only thing that is different is the start menu is full screen and animated.

I ended up moving my task bar to the right side of my screen because the start button shared the same location that brings up the charms menu. I hope they can work out a way around this.

Didn't even think about this since I'm a bottom of the screen task bar type of guy but in essence and different symptom of the same problem. Obviously there'll need to be some way to make this work better than it does know but it is a tough one, I'm sure Microsoft is aware of it but they probably don't have a good answer for it now and are awaiting some feedback.

I've been playing with it for a bit and it's ok, and it's kinda neat, but I wonder if that stuff can all be turned off. For a corporate environment Windows classic is where it's at. For at home, that stuff is fine.

I've been playing with it for a bit and it's ok, and it's kinda neat, but I wonder if that stuff can all be turned off. For a corporate environment Windows classic is where it's at. For at home, that stuff is fine.

I don't know why people are over looking the enormous potential for using the Start Screen as notification dashboard, lots of productive business opportunities here.

Chevrolet Announces new LS10 Engine. New Features Include 500hp, 100MPG, 60% more versatile in fitment into a variety of platforms, and more compatibility with economy vehicles.

In a never before seen move, Chevrolet is offering to GIVE AWAY evaluation copies of the engine so that their technical partners and home car builders can start getting used to usage of the engine in a variety of development scenarios, and building wheit own vehicles based on the new design.

*Two Days Later*

Chevrolet is now saying that they are not interested in the massive amount of negative feedback that they are getting over the vehicle that they decided to give the new engine away in.

"We had plenty of them lying around, and the point of the thing was the engine, not the styling of the car. This vehicle was not meant for daily use."

They have received a mass of negative feedback about the new look of the vehicle from drivers who are simply interested in driving the newest thing, and who don't realise that the promotion was a purely an exercise to allow developers to adapt the new engine into vehicles of their own design, and NOT INTENDED FOR DAILY USE.

kOKpt.jpg

Disable metro:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-how-to-re-enable-the-classic-start-menu
(Task manager and stop the "immersive wallpaper" to remove the giant date and time display.)

btw: if anyone thinks i am drinking the kool-aid on this one, i use linux only.

Back