Windows 8 Beta

Where it all falls down is with desktop usage. Windows 8 demonstrates how what works great on tablets results in a less than optimal system for desktops. With the Start screen you gain the live tiles, but lose the ability to see what's running at a simple glance. You can't go from one application to another with a simple click like you can with the taskbar.

And there in lies the rub with Windows 8. I sat down with my EP121, hooked to an external monitor, mouse and keyboard, with Office 2010 installed, worked on a couple of real work documents I'm putting together, played a little with coding with Visual Studio 2011 and Expression, and it just all worked very well.

I imagine the in part the success of Windows 8 will depend on how many people see it like me versus who think that tablet features get in the way of the traditional desktop. Clearly Microsoft has been thinking and working on this issue very hard and I think it a great undertaking because I want something that does it all, no compromises like Sinofsky kept saying the other day.

The apps run just fine under Win8. It's the combination of the conflicting metaphor's that are the problem. Working with both Metro sytle apps and traditional Windows apps at the same time is, to put it kindly, inelegant. Metro Apps don't appear in the taskbar, Active Windows Apps don't appear in the Metro task management system. This isn't good.

MS wants to migrate folks away from traditional windows apps. This is why old apps are treated as they are and the emphasis is on the Metro UI and associated apps.

Metro Apps are designed for full screen use and are terrific for smaller screens and handheld devices like tablets. They are, however, terrible for desktop usages where there is plenty of on screen real-estate.

We'll see how the development progresses. For now, my plan is to use Win8 on my Tablet, but unless things around the traditional desktop change dramatically, I will not be moving my desktop to it. I'm not going to give up the flexability and efficiency that my desktop usage demands.

When did MS become obsessed with UI (that I disable instantly after install) and forget about the underlying technologies. Give me a new file system or something, not turn my desktop into a giant cellphone.

there is a new file system. protogon

Will you hate me if I used Windows 8 for 5 minutes and say that Metro feels like Windows for the Ultimate Dummy?

Maybe if this was on an iPad, but seriously on my desktop computer? I don't like where this is going.

this is where this is going....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ff7SzP4gfg

this is the design video microsoft labs made a couple years ago. its being used as the design document for all future products. they hope to be where that video is, by 2019

old news too. but the days of [H] members being cutting edge and on top of where the industry is headed are long since gone so i guess its not surprising that you had no idea about this.

The apps run just fine under Win8. It's the combination of the conflicting metaphor's that are the problem. Working with both Metro sytle apps and traditional Windows apps at the same time is, to put it kindly, inelegant. Metro Apps don't appear in the taskbar, Active Windows Apps don't appear in the Metro task management system. This isn't good.

But all running apps to appear, desktop and Metro do appear using Alt-Tab. We'll see how this all plays out as I imagine that Microsoft is hard at work looking at the responses to this thus far and will make changes to this no doubt.

MS wants to migrate folks away from traditional windows apps. This is why old apps are treated as they are and the emphasis is on the Metro UI and associated apps.

Well if you listen to all of the media pundits the desktop is dead. Microsoft already owns the desktop and those sales are flat, there's just not a lot of room for growth so it makes sense to concentrate on the new growing market of tablets. That said I Microsoft knows that the desktop and those millions of apps will be around a long time and there making investments there, though less major than Metro.

Metro Apps are designed for full screen use and are terrific for smaller screens and handheld devices like tablets. They are, however, terrible for desktop usages where there is plenty of on screen real-estate.

I'm not so sure about that. Most programs I run take up my full screen, especially on a single screen laptop and I switch between them and that's the way I see most people use their programs.

We'll see how the development progresses. For now, my plan is to use Win8 on my Tablet, but unless things around the traditional desktop change dramatically, I will not be moving my desktop to it. I'm not going to give up the flexability and efficiency that my desktop usage demands.

I plan to go to Windows 8 on all of machines for the start. Having the same OS running the same programs across all of my devices is why Windows 8 will be tough to ignore. Do people want different ways of doing the same thing or do they want one. The idea of a separate OS and UI for different devices while having it's advantages does have the disadvantage of different ways of doing similar things and creates it own complexity.

I plan to go to Windows 8 on all of machines for the start. Having the same OS running the same programs across all of my devices is why Windows 8 will be tough to ignore. Do people want different ways of doing the same thing or do they want one. The idea of a separate OS and UI for different devices while having it's advantages does have the disadvantage of different ways of doing similar things and creates it own complexity.

I run Win7 at home exclusively. I go to a site that runs Windows XP or 2000, and it is almost foreign to me anymore. It takes me a few minutes to get used to it, both visually and the little quirks (Aero snap, etc.).

I like the idea of an interface that is consistent across multiple platforms: WP7, Windows 8, Xbox dashboard. The interface is designed for touch (and it is so sweet on the WP7), as that is where the mainstream market seems to be headed. I love my mouse and keyboard, and I can't stand people touching my monitor (nor could I sit at my desk reaching out to the monitor), so I'll see how that pans out.

Has anyone heard any updates on Kinect integration with Windows 8? It is supposed to support it natively (or was mentioned a while back). That would work great for a desktop navigation if done right (smooth, accurate, fast). That with a keyboard and mouse would be the bees knees for me with the Metro UI.

But all running apps to appear, desktop and Metro do appear using Alt-Tab. We'll see how this all plays out as I imagine that Microsoft is hard at work looking at the responses to this thus far and will make changes to this no doubt.
Ok, I stand corrected on Alt-Tab. Though, task management is still much less efficient than it is under Win7. It does highlight one of the inconsistancies with the new UI though. Swiping from the left does not behave the same way as alt-tab.

Well if you listen to all of the media pundits the desktop is dead. Microsoft already owns the desktop and those sales are flat, there's just not a lot of room for growth so it makes sense to concentrate on the new growing market of tablets. That said I Microsoft knows that the desktop and those millions of apps will be around a long time and there making investments there, though less major than Metro.
Media Pundits are, well, idiots. These are the same pundits saying that say PC gaming is dead, but it's anything but. Desktop computers are just now at the point where they aren't the explosive growth that they used to be, though they still are growing. Tablets are the new market and experiencing explosive growth, but for the most part, Tablets have been suplimental to computer sales. They have impacted the netbook market, but not so much the laptop or desktop market.

I'm not so sure about that. Most programs I run take up my full screen, especially on a single screen laptop and I switch between them and that's the way I see most people use their programs.
There are a lot of people that do use apps in full screen. But, as I mentioned there are a ton of apps that simply don't need to be full screen. Calculator, Media Player, Ventrilo... None of these need to be full screen all the time. Metro Apps can only allow 2 apps visible at once, this isn't enough for my needs, and I know I'm not alone in with this.

Oh, I agree that having a single OS that works accross several platforms is huge, though the I feel the OS should bring out the strengths of ALL form factors. Tablets are great for media consumption and light content creation. Desktops are unequalled in productivity and getting stuff done. Laptops are between the two. Windows 8 should be flexible enough to play to the strengths of each platform. I don't feel it's doing that right now.

Sitting at the school library atm using it for typical tasks (online hw, browsing etc.). I'm amazed by how usable this "Developer Preview" is. It hasn't crashed on me once and is pretty snappy. There's few funky video bugs and some difficulty shutting down (I ctrl-alt-del and hit the power button icon to shut down, but it hangs so I ctrl-alt-del to try again and it works), but these things are obviously expected. I can't wait to see how it will shape up when everyone starts getting on board to update their junk.

Another feature Microsoft said would be included is built in Live syncing and such. Now, I'm able to create a Windows 8 user account using my live log in credentials, however, I'm not seeing anything syncing back to my cloud storage (skydrive) that I have on there.

True, but what's the point of the Metro UI if you don't use Metro apps? That's why I plan to use Win8 on my tablet, but not my desktop PC currently.

What's the point of Remote desktop? It's a major part of my work world, yet I'm aware many people never even touch it.

Just installed updated Nvidia beta drivers, Steam and set up some account stuff. All I can say is Windows 8 and I are going to get along swimmingly. I do not know what you people are bitching about the Metro UI, but I can switch between the desktop and metro with the push of a button. If there is something I can't find, Win+R works fine or I initially ran it from the Taskman (to run ncpa.cpl).

Ok, I stand corrected on Alt-Tab. Though, task management is still much less efficient than it is under Win7. It does highlight one of the inconsistancies with the new UI though. Swiping from the left does not behave the same way as alt-tab.

I do agree that the task switching could use some work and I do agree about the inconsistency and imagine that this is going to change significantly before the final product.

Media Pundits are, well, idiots. These are the same pundits saying that say PC gaming is dead, but it's anything but. Desktop computers are just now at the point where they aren't the explosive growth that they used to be, though they still are growing. Tablets are the new market and experiencing explosive growth, but for the most part, Tablets have been suplimental to computer sales. They have impacted the netbook market, but not so much the laptop or desktop market.

Totally agree with you here. The notion that millions and millions of people and companies are simply going to abandon PCs for tablets doesn't make a much sense to me. Use them in conjunction sure, replace, some will but will mostly be for situations where people don't want or need flexibility and only used a PC because it used to be the only option for computing.

There are a lot of people that do use apps in full screen. But, as I mentioned there are a ton of apps that simply don't need to be full screen. Calculator, Media Player, Ventrilo... None of these need to be full screen all the time. Metro Apps can only allow 2 apps visible at once, this isn't enough for my needs, and I know I'm not alone in with this.

Good point here but I see this as a strength of Windows 8 on tablets. Very little has been said of this but look at IE 10. It's a good example of the software engineering concept of model-viewer-controller. Applications don't have to present to same UI in all situations. While Metro will see the growth and interest the window UI paradigm simply isn't going away in or lifetime.

Oh, I agree that having a single OS that works accross several platforms is huge, though the I feel the OS should bring out the strengths of ALL form factors. Tablets are great for media consumption and light content creation. Desktops are unequalled in productivity and getting stuff done. Laptops are between the two. Windows 8 should be flexible enough to play to the strengths of each platform. I don't feel it's doing that right now.

And sure there is work to be done here. I'm trying really hard to see this problem of Windows 8 not working well on both a tablet and a desktop and I'm just not seeing it. I'm probably too used to Windows on tablets to see some of the problems others have. I'm going to install Windows 8 on a single screen desktop tonight and see what I think of that experience. I really like the way everything worked overall when having my EP121 hooked to and external monitor. Took a little getting used to but everything flowed well for me, the experience didn't feel that different from working with dual monitors on Windows 7 to me. Looked different but the just as easy and efficient for how I work.

Just installed updated Nvidia beta drivers, Steam and set up some account stuff. All I can say is Windows 8 and I are going to get along swimmingly. I do not know what you people are bitching about the Metro UI, but I can switch between the desktop and metro with the push of a button. If there is something I can't find, Win+R works fine or I initially ran it from the Taskman (to run ncpa.cpl).

I'm in your camp on this. This reminds exactly of the Ribbon controversy when it came out in Office 2007, it was either love or hate there as well but at the end of today it looks like love won as Office 2010 with the same though improved Ribbon is the best selling of Office ever.

I think this going to work out like the Ribbon. People bitched about it but mainly because it was different, not that it didn't actually work well. I'm having no issues with the Start Screen with touch or keyboard and mouse and why I think it's pretty cool as use Windows tablets daily.
Well I use a PC because I want to point and click, not swipe and drag. Metro will be awesome for tablets but I do not want it for my desktop. And it's not like with Vista/7 where people don't like the changes because the Start menu was only slightly changed. This is a huge change. I just don't see the point of having Metro start menu if your just going to go back to the typical desktop. If your on a tablet and always in the 'Metro' theme then OK, it's fine. But within the normal desktop you want the typical start menu, not something that doesn't even look like it fits in the design or overall look and feel. I do not see businesses adapting Windows 8 + Metro in the next century. There is no way Microsoft ships this OS without the normal start menu.
I don't think this correct. Maybe I'm missing something but Metro is the new Start Menu as having two Start Menus just isn't something Microsoft is likely to do.
Well I can't find the article but I read that Metro is optional, which means the normal start menu. I guess we won't know for sure until it hits RC.

Well I can't find the article but I read that Metro is optional, which means the normal start menu. I guess we won't know for sure until it hits RC.

I'm not dissing anything here, but if you want to run classical Win7 style why not just stay with Win7 which will continue to be updated and supported throughout the live of Win8. Win8 in so many respects is just a skinned Win7 with a new UI, under the hood changes are minor and most of the features are available in Win7. So I ask again, if your are not planning on running Metro-style when it launches, why even upgrade? Metro-style apps and Win Phone 7 (7.5) app are where your going to see the most benefits of switching to Win8. And as has been mention, if you don't mind the start menu, there is a desktop tile, along with a tile for everything else that you need. The hardest time I've had is with the new IE, but you can just right-click and switch to desktop mode also.

I'm not dissing anything here, but if you want to run classical Win7 style why not just stay with Win7 which will continue to be updated and supported throughout the live of Win8.
Unfortunately, once Windows 8 ships, 7 will no longer be available. If you think that the Metro start menu will be embraced by the masses, I think you're wrong. Again, Metro is great, it just doesn't work well with point and click IMO. I just don't understand how it can be so hard to believe that people would want the normal start menu like what's available in 7. It's not out of the realm of reasonable request, is it?
Win8 in so many respects is just a skinned Win7 with a new UI, under the hood changes are minor and most of the features are available in Win7. So I ask again, if your are not planning on running Metro-style when it launches, why even upgrade?
As I said, it's going to ship on desktops and Metro is great for touch screen but not every PC is touchscreen.
Metro-style apps and Win Phone 7 (7.5) app are where your going to see the most benefits of switching to Win8.
I'd rather have the normal start menu than to run phone apps on my desktop. Anyways, Microsoft said that they will release desktop apps through the store, not just Metro apps.

Also, I just think things like having to click and drag the screen up to wake a computer from sleep mode is ridiculous on a desktop. On a tablet it's OK because I expect swiping but not on a desktop. It is not unreasonable to not want to click and drag your mouse all the way up your screen to wake your computer.

I understand what Microsoft is trying to do here. Tablets are hot and will eventually replace notebooks. I'm glad they are taking the initiative here and I will want Windows 8 on my future tablets. But for desktops, all I'm asking for is the option to set it to the Win 7 like start menu when you go out and buy a PC without touchscreen.

Last edited:
Think about stuff like Apple moving away from the Magic mouse in favor of the Magic Pad which besides being a touchpad, somewhat emulates a touchscreen on a PC (logitech is launching a major one for PC and Microsoft already has their Magic Mouse failure). There is going to be a split in users over this one, no doubt about it. It is amazing how fast you start to get use to this environment, especially if your already use to using a tablet like Android (or already own a Windows Phone 7). I can't wait until gadgets like we have now on our desktops get into the tiles, HDD space/CPU/Network and others.

One complaint I have, adjusting the size of the tiles so you can put more stuff on your high res monitor.

I don't care how magic a touchpad is, It's never going to replace a mouse for me. They are terrible for gaming and I will never edit a photo with a touchpad. And I don't need yet another device on my desktop! :p
From Heatlessun
I'm in your camp on this. This reminds exactly of the Ribbon controversy when it came out in Office 2007, it was either love or hate there as well but at the end of today it looks like love won as Office 2010 with the same though improved Ribbon is the best selling of Office ever.
For the record, I've never had a problem with the ribbon. (not that you are saying otherwise) I actually like it a lot as it makes a lot of hidden and advanced features much more discoverable to the user. The same, however, can't be said about the MetroUI.

I'm all for changes that make my work more efficient and flexible. I loved the additions to Windows Vista had, and what they expanded on in Win7. They made me more productive. I think on tablets, Win8 will improve productivity dramatically for such devices over Win7. Unfortunately it's not going to do anything positive for my productivity on the desktop.

The only thing worse than forcing a touch device to use a desktop metaphor (Win Mobile in all its ugliness before WP7) is forcing desktop users to use a touch OS.

i have been messing about with the dev build since yesterday

i hate it.... a lot... metro is terrible on a non touchscreen desktop and I don't want finger print smudge cluster **** touch screen desktop.

hopefully (and highly unlikely probably..:mad:) microsoft will take all the source code containing drives and put them in a car crusher and start over.

other than stuff that is more or less the same as win 7 i can't think of one nice thing to say about anything i have seen in win 8 dev preview.

absolute abomination.... blah..

I'm installing it on a tablet PC right now. Will I care about 8 on the desktop or non-tablet PC? Probably not. Win7 is fine for the other systems. For tablets, this is pretty exciting.

Don't have a spare PC. But before trying myself I was asking for your openion
it is a massively different way to interact with your pc. as much of a change as 95 was to 3.1..

and this is only a developer preview, so most of the new features you have heard about are missing. in fact running it with metro disabled feels like win7 with a different theme and some parts missing

When did MS become obsessed with UI (that I disable instantly after install) and forget about the underlying technologies. Give me a new file system or something, not turn my desktop into a giant cellphone.

While I am totally reserving judgement on windows 8 being that it is a preview release, I am totally with you on this one. Microsoft NEEDS to come up with something more than a fancy hibernate state (which is not that useful on a desktop pc anyway, as sleep is faster, and desktops have power to them constantly to keep RAM active). Mind you it looks like MS doesnt really care about desktops anymore, and even laptops are going by the wayside.. (although sales figures suggest otherwise)

i have been messing about with the dev build since yesterday

i hate it.... a lot... metro is terrible on a non touchscreen desktop and I don't want finger print smudge cluster **** touch screen desktop.

hopefully (and highly unlikely probably..:mad:) microsoft will take all the source code containing drives and put them in a car crusher and start over.

other than stuff that is more or less the same as win 7 i can't think of one nice thing to say about anything i have seen in win 8 dev preview.

absolute abomination.... blah..

I can think of a few things - faster bootup, and the new Task Manager is nice, right? :cool:

Other than that, its :mad:

it is a massively different way to interact with your pc. as much of a change as 95 was to 3.1..

and this is only a developer preview, so most of the new features you have heard about are missing. in fact running it with metro disabled feels like win7 with a different theme and some parts missing

It's a different way to interact with a tablet. On a pc, like you said, its just Win 7.

You know, I didn't find that transition a challenge. Partly because 95 was a much better metaphor, and partly because I was already using Norton Desktop in 3.1.

lol, i need to calibrate the touch sensitivity, but the metro interface is phail so far on even a real tablet PC. It's so annoying.

What I like about the Metro UI is that it doesn't feel like a program "tacked on" Windows 7 (for example, something like the Media Center, it's just another app). It flows seemlessly between the main desktop and other programs open with no jitter. It might be just a bit oversimplified though. I want to see a little X in the corner to close these apps :D

I'm all for changes that make my work more efficient and flexible. I loved the additions to Windows Vista had, and what they expanded on in Win7. They made me more productive. I think on tablets, Win8 will improve productivity dramatically for such devices over Win7. Unfortunately it's not going to do anything positive for my productivity on the desktop.

Well it's obvious this release is all about tablets and there won't simply be as much focus on the desktop. Sure I'd like cool stuff on the desktop as well but even Microsoft has to focus its attention and resources. Microsoft is willing to forsake the desktop for the tablet in this release and its a smart gamble considering they own the desktop and are nowhere in consumer tablets.

lol, i need to calibrate the touch sensitivity, but the metro interface is phail so far on even a real tablet PC. It's so annoying.

The touch isn't quite there but overall its pretty solid. Not having any ma, or issues though the desktop version of IE 10 seems to be better at touch than the Metro version, the desktop version is more stable.

I can think of a few things - faster bootup, and the new Task Manager is nice, right? :cool:

Other than that, its :mad:

lol... u are right the new taskmanager is kinda nice

and we will be using it all the time to exit apps with no fucking close buttons :D

The biggest issue I'm having right now on my TM2T is with the dual video option. Not only does it not work, which I'm ok with, but whenever Windows tries to enable the ATI graphics it goes to a blank screen and I end up needing to restore the system to get back. I've tried disabling the ATI card, but eventually it seems like Windows is saying "let me just try this out again".

Otherwise, I agree with a lot of what is being said. I absolutely love the Metro UI on my tablet, but I'm definitely not sold on it for the desktop. If they're going to work on one area it needs to be the integration between Metro and classic desktop. Right now it is just too much of a jolt going between the two imo.

Also, they need a way to close Metro apps. I hate having to flick through open crap I don't want open anymore. Please, please copy the WebOS method of closing apps for this if they are going to continue down that path.

And yes, the new task manager pretty much rules. It seems like they are finally bringing over more of the features of process explorer, which should have been done as soon as they bought sysinternals.

PS: I know there are some MS people reading these at least, if so for gods sake include FCIV or some type of checksum feature in W8 by default. Right click shell integrated would be even better.

The biggest issue I'm having right now on my TM2T is with the dual video option. Not only does it not work, which I'm ok with, but whenever Windows tries to enable the ATI graphics it goes to a blank screen and I end up needing to restore the system to get back. I've tried disabling the ATI card, but eventually it seems like Windows is saying "let me just try this out again".

Otherwise, I agree with a lot of what is being said. I absolutely love the Metro UI on my tablet, but I'm definitely not sold on it for the desktop. If they're going to work on one area it needs to be the integration between Metro and classic desktop. Right now it is just too much of a jolt going between the two imo.

Also, they need a way to close Metro apps. I hate having to flick through open crap I don't want open anymore. Please, please copy the WebOS method of closing apps for this if they are going to continue down that path.

And yes, the new task manager pretty much rules. It seems like they are finally bringing over more of the features of process explorer, which should have been done as soon as they bought sysinternals.

PS: I know there are some MS people reading these at least, if so for gods sake include FCIV or some type of checksum feature in W8 by default. Right click shell integrated would be even better.

TM2T user here. Here's my solution.

OK, ran into the same black screen video issue when I updated the ati drivers, however pressing winkey+P 4 times got everything working again. Somehow, Windows automatically assumes that the laptop display is secondary, and the primary display is a nonexistent monitor connected to the VGA or HDMI port. Weird, but I guess it's a quirk with laptops containing a hybrid ATI+Intel gpu.

Update: I went ahead and installed the ATI Windows 7 drivers provided by HP to regain the GPU switching functionality. The secondary/primary display glitch seems to be gone, [strike="option"] but CCC and the dialogs responsible for manual switching crash and spit out some .NET error.[/s] Updated the drivers to 11.8 and CCC now works along with switching. Now to get the brightness controls to work...

(pending updates)

I should add that the brightness controls don't work and screen orientation doesn't match up with the touch orientation.

Just installed installed Windows 8 on a QX9650 with 8 GB of RAM and a GeForceGT 430, 500 GB 7200 RPM HD and it just rocks as a desktop, overall it feels faster than Windows 7 on the same setup. And I got to experience the settings sync stuff. Setup both machines with the same Windows Live ID and when I changed the wallpaper and taskbar settings on one the desktop the tablet picked up the change and presto! My browsing history and pinned sites came over as well plus this stuff in accessible with APIs so that 3rd party apps can use it.

Windows 8 is going to be a monster smash hit.

TM2T user here. Here's my solution.

I should add that the brightness controls don't work and screen orientation doesn't match up with the touch orientation.

Thanks for the assist! I did try the HP drivers and didn't have any luck there either. I hadn't had enough time to do any real troubleshooting though on the video switch, I thought it might be sending it to external but didn't have a vga cable around to verify that yesterday.

Back