Windows 8 Beta

When it's ready, if it's ready,

edit: if it's open

Basically, details are not known at this point, so asking doesn't do much :)

Last edited:
The keynote launch will be 12PM EDT tomorrow at which time copies should start to trickle out. Not sure if it will be a GA release but it should come to TechNet and MSDN at the least. My guess is that it won't be GA until early next year as there's a lot not done yet and most of the what is is the new stuff. But as soon as I get my hands on it I will put it on a tablet and desktop and go to town.

I meant hear not here btw to all readers laughing at me, I am not total dumbass. I would ninja edit but I have already been quoted ;)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

You probably want to try out the preview release—and you can. Starting at 8PM today, Seattle time, you can download all of the code that attendees at BUILD received. This includes 32 or 64 bit x86 builds, with or without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample/SDK applications and the SDK (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com. You download with a Windows Live ID (which you might want to use to test out some of the new roaming features).

Random interesting screenshot from the stream:
unledxkp.png

Last edited:
It just keeps getting better, the development tools and environment, just amazing. And they are using my x220t convertible!

I'm still watching the keynote but from what i've seen so far, Microsoft is about to stomp apple in the tablet market.
Looks like the ease of use of ios but the freedom of android. Love it!

I know I'm a Microsoft and big Windows fan but this pretty much obsoletes all existing desktop and tablet OSes.

The guy showing off windows live services and such, those features are in mango for windows phone 7. Pretty slick stuff.

Makes me want to return this android phone I have and sell my imac.

This look freaking awesome. This is going to save netbooks and laptops and pushes tablets to the next level. I can't wait to install this beta on my Asrock Ion 330 for a test drive.

The guy showing off windows live services and such, those features are in mango for windows phone 7. Pretty slick stuff.

Been running the Mango RTM on my HTC arrive for a month now, it's really is well designed.

Ooooh, looky there.... a spare laptop hard drive for my TM-2 Convertable tablet. I wonder what I'll be putting on that drive later tonight....

Since I haven't used my laptop in about 6 months I am going to yank the vertex 2 ssd out of there and throw windows 8 on it

Code will become more efficient, hardware will increase in speed... Windows 8 is going to be a demon. I am now seriously looking into a decent tablet now. I have to run this on a tablet throughout the beta!

Well what the heck. Going to toss this on my X200t and see what happens

I have a Toshiba netbook sitting here, that currently has Win7 HP on it, but was thinking about formatting it and installing something like Ubuntu. I think I'll hold off on that now and go with the Windows 8 Beta. I watched almost the entire keynote (missed the first few minutes and maybe the last 20 or so), but I liked what I saw.

Ooooh, looky there.... a spare laptop hard drive for my TM-2 Convertable tablet. I wonder what I'll be putting on that drive later tonight....

I don't have a spare HDD and still plan to put this on my TM2. :D

That is astute and correct. This is an M3 exit build (as you will see when you run winver on it). As Sinofsky said this morning, we have Beta, RC, RTM, and GA left.

Yeah this looks to be going about the way that Windows 7 did. General beta by January, RC next spring and GA in the fall of 2012.

Back